The Bank Line

xrm
8th February 2007, 19:15
I have found a copy of a Bank Line news sheet dated Spring / Summer 1972. There are complete crew lists from the period December 1971 - June 1972. There is also an article on the "White Ships" - which I believe included the Isipingo and the Inchanga. If anyone is intersted in the crew lists let me know & I can scan them in.

K urgess
8th February 2007, 20:23
Hi Xrm

I was on the Sprucebank '71/'72 so would like to see the crew list. Would be great to see where all the blokes I sailed with previously during 3 other Bankline cruises had got to.

Cheers
Kris/

xrm
8th February 2007, 20:59
Kris - I've just looked at this and the ROs aren't listed! If you want all of the lists let me know & I'll scan it to PDF and email it to you.

Anyway -
Master - H J S Allan
CH Off - G Brice
2/O - M J Stevens
3/O - P C Boyd
CH Eng - A M Pike
2/E - P Crooks
3/E G T Mackenzie
4/E - R F Glover
5/E - B R M Thompson
6/E - P F Cottrill
1 Elec - D G Forsyth
2 Elec - F Delahunt
Cadets - R A Brown; T Pattrick

pete
8th February 2007, 22:05
Would'nt mind a copy of those lists myself if you would be so kind. With the outfit from '65 to '80 until reduncancy reared it's ugly head. cheers..............pete

pete
8th February 2007, 22:09
The other "white Ship" was Incomati and don't tell me I still can't bloody spell........pete

marine master
8th February 2007, 22:42
Appreciate a copy of the info. if you don't mind. Regards.

K urgess
9th February 2007, 00:20
Xrm
Wasn't really interested in the R/Os. I know the one after me on the Spruce was called McPhail. You can guess what Henry Allen called him.(LOL)
That looks like the crew for the trip after I was there. Mike Stevens sailed with me and so did Chief Pikey. I sailed with Henry Allen the first time I was on there in '67.
I'll send you an email so that you get my address. I'd appreciate a scan of the list.
Cheers
Kris

xrm
9th February 2007, 13:11
Pete / Marine Master

sent you both a PM due to the file size

rob

paul rennison
9th February 2007, 16:36
Hi Rob, would like the article on the "White Ships" my Uncle who sadly crossed the bar last year served his time on them just after the war ending up as master on the Bullard King, line I know my cousin would like any info available.
Cheers,
Paul

xrm
10th February 2007, 14:03
Paul

Sent you a PM - need an email address due to file size.

Rob

tom hanley
12th February 2007, 10:16
Hi XRM,
First of all hello to you, I am an ex Nairnbank engineer and would appreciate a copy of the crew list if possible for the dates mentioned. It may help to jog my memory a bit! Not what it used to be. Thanks in anticipation,
Tom Hanley.

xrm
12th February 2007, 10:25
Tom

I've set you a PM - I need your email address

tom hanley
17th February 2007, 07:52
Hi Rob,
E Mail address is judy.hanley@aapt.net.au Thanks again for your trouble.
Regards,
Tom

Kenneth Morley
18th February 2007, 04:27
Hi, Is there a crew list for the Hazelbank, I served as fireman she was 8 fires with a nomans land in the middle where the 3rd. boiled should have been. Not one of the best ships I served on. Kenneth(Cloud)

dela
18th February 2007, 11:30
Nice to see my name up in lights after all these years!!!,
The crew list for the Sprucebank was made up of coasting / deep sea squad.
I signed on 1st June 1972 @ Liverpool, payed off 23rd December 72, short trip!!.
The lads who went deep sea that trip were as the list except for the

2/O, Paul Gilcrist
3/O, Dave Barlow
3/E, Dave Thornberry
6/E Paul Jackson.

Regards
Frank Delahunty,

K urgess
18th February 2007, 12:28
Frank

We must've done the coast together. I stayed on in Liverpool and did the coast 'cos she was going to Hull. I finally paid off on the 19th June.

I was also waiting on the wharf in Sydney when she docked. I was on the Freemantle Bar (sorry Star).

I knew Dave Barlow for years after that until we lost touch in the 80s. Dave Thornberry had done the trip with us as well.

Cheers
Kris

xrm
18th February 2007, 12:38
Hi, Is there a crew list for the Hazelbank, I served as fireman she was 8 fires with a nomans land in the middle where the 3rd. boiled should have been. Not one of the best ships I served on. Kenneth(Cloud)

What year were you on the Hazelbank?

jimthehat
21st May 2007, 23:54
Hi,
anyone know where I can get copies of cargo plans of late 50s-60s.Spent quite a few years as 2/m on the far east and india South africa,but never kept any of my plans,and now a few tanker friends have asked if i can find one .
JIM

xrm
22nd May 2007, 14:20
Have alook at these - Nessbank, Copra run

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/51566/

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/50993

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/51567

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/51569/

Rob

Ron Stringer
22nd May 2007, 21:39
Have alook at these - Nessbank, Copra run

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/51566/Rob

Don't want to seem sniffy (as a R/O I had damn all to do with cargo plans) but the ones that I was used to seeing the Ellerman Lines' 2nd Mates, or Extra 2nd Mates, slaving over were glorious sights to behold. Lots of colours, lots of different patterns - stripes in different orientations, thin and thick, dotted areas in various colours. Simply amazing to me. The Bank Line ones seem very sober and simple by comparison.

pete
23rd May 2007, 15:16
Ahh but Ron, if you had seen some of the plans we worked on in full colour they would look similar to the ones you are used to. Especially when on the Europe/South Pacific run discharging in a dozen ports or more. (scribe)........................cheers ......pete

xrm
23rd May 2007, 16:34
It's tempting to be sarcastic about coloured pencils and things ... but no.

I guess a cargo plan is just that - the only relevent fact is that everything gets discharged at the appropriate port. We didn't have extra 2nd mates or extra 3rd mates in Bank Line, but I'm a bit pissed off now because we didn't have coloured pencils !!!!

It was agood life though .....

Atropos
16th June 2008, 09:33
Hi Rob, would like the article on the "White Ships" my Uncle who sadly crossed the bar last year served his time on them just after the war ending up as master on the Bullard King, line I know my cousin would like any info available.
Cheers,
Paul

Since I was an apprentice in/on Inchanga in 1946/7 I'd be interesred to know your uncle's name. There is a chance that we met if he was on Isipingo and if he was on Inchanga we must have sailed together.

Atropos
16th June 2008, 09:42
I have found a copy of a Bank Line news sheet dated Spring / Summer 1972. There are complete crew lists from the period December 1971 - June 1972. There is also an article on the "White Ships" - which I believe included the Isipingo and the Inchanga. If anyone is intersted in the crew lists let me know & I can scan them in.

Hi,
Like Paul Rennison I would very much like to see the Article on the :White Ships". Do you still have it? If so could you let me have a copy at - (email address removed, please contact by PM to exchange email addresses - MS)

China hand
30th September 2008, 20:54
Hi,
anyone know where I can get copies of cargo plans of late 50s-60s.Spent quite a few years as 2/m on the far east and india South africa,but never kept any of my plans,and now a few tanker friends have asked if i can find one .
JIM

A bit late, but I've got plenty of plans from 60s~80s, all by my own fair hand.

China hand

McMorine
1st October 2008, 15:26
Very interseted in seeing the crew lists for that year. Alex McMorine

Strath101
7th October 2008, 22:35
Crew list for Sprucebank Sept 1974 to Apr 1975, taken from notes so spelling could be iffy and there was a few name changes during that trip.

M - Trevor Smith
C/O - David Harrod
2/O - Brian Atkinson
3/O - Dave Young - Mike Foot
R/O - George Kinney
C/E - Richard Taylor - William Powell
2/E - Dave Ogden
3/E - Ian Dunlop - Dave Mathews
4/E - Anderson Lauder - Allan Woodside
5/E - Raymond Bagley - Fung Cheuk Chun
6/E - Ron Murray (self)
1/L - Alex Armstrong
2/L - John McGuiness
Cadets - Martin Donnelly & Philip Hill - George McLeod & Robert Sneddon

ccurtis1
18th November 2008, 19:17
Any of you guys know what became of Farquhar MacRae McKenzie, Electrician extra-ordinaire, cousin of Captain Johnny McKenzie Bank Line Master and Superintendant, cousin of Murdo McKenzie another electrician extra-ordinaire and hailing from Dornie on the Kyles of Lochalsh. Farquhar, (or Forkner to his Sassenach colleagues) served his apprenticeship on the Clyde, with McWhirters, they of the Guinness Book of Records and was a character the likes of whom I don't think we will ever see again at sea

China hand
18th November 2008, 20:26
Dunno where Farquhar is now, but when I last met him, Murdo was Harbourmaster in Ullapool.

Alistair Macnab
19th November 2008, 18:01
Farquhar is alive and well and retired to Dornie. He has a Dublin-based girl friend and often visits there. From what I hear, he is still the Farquhar that we all remember. I last saw him at the Bank Line reunion in 2004 but my friend, Terry McCready, Chief Engineer has met up with Farquhar recently and reported his continuing good health. I sailed with both on "Laganbank". It was a tremendous voyage: Gulf-Australia then Islands-Home via Panama. The Master was Commander Freddy Feint RN (retd) and altogether it was a boffo crew!

Alistair Macnab
Houston TX.

ccurtis1
19th November 2008, 22:41
Farquhar is alive and well and retired to Dornie. He has a Dublin-based girl friend and often visits there. From what I hear, he is still the Farquhar that we all remember. I last saw him at the Bank Line reunion in 2004 but my friend, Terry McCready, Chief Engineer has met up with Farquhar recently and reported his continuing good health. I sailed with both on "Laganbank". It was a tremendous voyage: Gulf-Australia then Islands-Home via Panama. The Master was Commander Freddy Feint RN (retd) and altogether it was a boffo crew!

Alistair Macnab
Houston TX.

So pleased to hear that "Forkner" is alive and well. I sailed with him on the Irisbank for about 16 months in the early sixties. He was always speaking of the Laganbank, fond memories I think. The Irisbank was a smashing trip too with a great crowd of lads. Commodore Len Thorne (at least he said he was Commodore) was the Old Man, Alan Smaldon the C/O. Stuart Horsborough (Stew the lush as he only had one beer the whole voyage) was 2/O and I cannot recall the 3/O. Big Muk was the first C/E replaced by John Leckie, the 2/E was Kevin Habben an Aussie and the 3/E another long term Bankliner, Harry Whitby. The R/O was Jimmy Halpin. Around the world in just under 18 months with long stays in port, and what ports. Great days.

Alan Rawlinson
16th December 2008, 16:31
Not the ones I did - they were works of art, sometimes with questionable accuracy, especially when under pressure on Harmony St Wharf - New Orleans prior to sailing...

We definitely used all of the colours and lines , dots, slashes, you name it !

They were not meant to be works of art, but there was a certain creativity when the facts were in short supply.

Happy Days!
AL

Don't want to seem sniffy (as a R/O I had damn all to do with cargo plans) but the ones that I was used to seeing the Ellerman Lines' 2nd Mates, or Extra 2nd Mates, slaving over were glorious sights to behold. Lots of colours, lots of different patterns - stripes in different orientations, thin and thick, dotted areas in various colours. Simply amazing to me. The Bank Line ones seem very sober and simple by comparison.

Lefty
20th December 2008, 15:54
Hi all, I often wonder whatever happened to all those Crew List Plaques we all posted on the harbour wall in New Orleans? There were some real works of art amongst them.
Anyone else remember them. I once clipped a letter to one as I knew a pal would be on the next BL ship due on the berth and he got it OK!!!
Merry Christmas you'all !!! Howard

Ron Stringer
20th December 2008, 22:44
These later postings are similar to those seen here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=23135

jimthehat
30th January 2009, 00:03
Hi ,
just come across your reply to my cry re cargo plans,I was 2/mate on the Ettrickbank for two years 59thru 61,then Forresbank from may 62thru dec63and taybank 64to 66.
allthese trips were on the Far east south africa run and I must have done hundreds of plans brightly coloured ,but never kept any .
I now have a group of friends who are hoping to see what a cargoship plan looks like,so if you think that it is possible to copy one of your early 60s plans it would be most appreciated ,of course I would pay for the work involved and postage.

regards

JIM FERRIER
(send a PM to make contact)

John Rogers
30th January 2009, 00:17
Jim the hat you need to remove your email address,send it by PM then no one can have access to it.

John.

xrm
30th January 2009, 10:42
These are not in colour - probably working copies or we didn't have coloured pencils

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/51566/ppuser/8903

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/50993/ppuser/8903

Pocket*trout
6th February 2009, 17:33
I have 17 copies of "The Bank Line House Magazine" from 1975 to 1981. If you need any crew lists please let me know. I have posted 1 in the faces gallery.

sean
10th February 2009, 13:48
I was radio officer on Elmbank from autumn 76 to spring 77 I have forgotten some of the guys names so would be nice to see again also if u have the actual mgazine there was an article sometime in 77 when we rescued a taiwanese fishing vsl named fu shian no1 (the salvage money was hardly worth waiting for!),a scan of this if possible would really bring back some memories thanks

yarddog
27th June 2010, 11:23
So pleased to hear that "Forkner" is alive and well. I sailed with him on the Irisbank for about 16 months in the early sixties. He was always speaking of the Laganbank, fond memories I think. The Irisbank was a smashing trip too with a great crowd of lads. Commodore Len Thorne (at least he said he was Commodore) was the Old Man, Alan Smaldon the C/O. Stuart Horsborough (Stew the lush as he only had one beer the whole voyage) was 2/O and I cannot recall the 3/O. Big Muk was the first C/E replaced by John Leckie, the 2/E was Kevin Habben an Aussie and the 3/E another long term Bankliner, Harry Whitby. The R/O was Jimmy Halpin. Around the world in just under 18 months with long stays in port, and what ports. Great days.

i rember John Leckie, he was my C/E on one trip. ill hav to get my blue book out to check

i rember he liked his brandy :)

yarddog
27th June 2010, 11:27
id like to see a copy of the list.
my first ship was the Rosebank, 1967, a nice 14 monther to start of with.
we joined in liverpool.
i was 2/lecky then

jackrender@telkomsa.net

John Campbell
27th June 2010, 22:38
I wonder have any of you fellow Bank Line Liners have heard of with Charlie Cain - Second Eng. He was the only Black West Indian Scottish 2nd Eng in the Company at the time 1953 on the Southbank. He was born and educated in Edinburgh and told us he had a brother who was a Church of Scotland Minister,

Charley was a great fellow with wonderful sense of humor. He had a glorious time in Fiji with the ladies and was quite worn out by the time we left.

He hated our Capt. Bob Smith and the feelings were reciprocated with each glaring at each other as Charlie occupied the top of the Engineers table in the saloon.

Charlie caused us Apps much amusement and wonder as he told us that he had the ability of causing harm to the Master by using Ju-ju inherited from his ancestors. We had no liking of Smith either who was giving us a hard time as we painted his bathroom.Needlessly hounding us about drips, runs and holidays. We gave the 2/E the hair from Smith,s hairbrush which we easily got from his bathroom cabinet.

Several days later as we Apps and Engineers at our favourite meeting place , No,4 hatch all stood on deck awaiting Smith to return to the ship after being ashore to sign the loading papers etc. The port was San Lorenzo on the River Plate and we were down to our marks with grain for Peru.

Smith had to descend a long stairway as San Lorenzo has huge cliffs right to the River edge. Charlie said to us " my Ju Ju will make Smithy fall" The oldman A was on the last flight when brief case in hand he stumbled and fell about ten steps AOT slightly injuring himself and he was not happy as we all cheered and laughed loudly.

We were always wary of the 2/E after that and I always wondered if he stayed in Bank line as he was a remarkable fellow

JC

i

John Dryden
27th June 2010, 22:58
John,I sailed with him on the Gowanbank,12 month trip and he was the Chief then.Like you say he was great to sail with I was app too but he was real friendly even though at first sight he looked a bit scary.That was 1970.
JD.

IRW
28th June 2010, 00:47
Charlie Cain lived just round the corner from me in Edinburgh and it was he who introduced me into Bank line as an appy in '57. Did a 20 month trip with him on Northbank with Capt Betts and wife. He use to claim he was the only one onboard with a medical cert to say he was sane - apparently when in the RN he was with a forward landing party that was mortared and he was wounded in the head. Died some years ago but I think his daughter Barbara is still in Edinburgh. A really great chap and friend.
Iain Wemyss

John Campbell
28th June 2010, 09:00
Thanks Iain and John, just goes to show what a great site this is for gleaning such info. I am most grateful to know that Charlie had a successful career in Bank Line as in those days before p.c and all that his achievements were noteworthy .

China hand
28th June 2010, 20:42
I was 3rd mate and doing some paperwork in New Zealand when a knock on the door, curtain pulled aside, and a broad Scottish accent asked me if I knew where our lecky was? The lecky was a beer buddy of mine so I told the voice so, he would be here in a minute, sit down, have a beer, etc. All without looking up (ignorant little sod). Put down pen, turned around - voila: Charlie Cain. First time I ever met him. Lecky arrived couple of minutes later, yacking started. After we had been at it a few minutes ( hours?) I asked him why he didn't wear a kilt? Reply: You must be joking, they'll take me for a ferkin Zulu.
What a man.

yarddog
28th June 2010, 22:55
i rember John Leckie, he was my C/E on one trip. ill hav to get my blue book out to check

i rember he liked his brandy :)

ive attached a pic of him
jack

JoeQ
30th June 2010, 12:38
I sailed with Charlie Cain on the Willowbank in 1977 ( I was 3rd mate), his cabin was next door to the bar. We all had a habit of throwing empties across the bar into a bin against the bulkhead separating us from the chief's cabin til one day Charlie stormed in and made everyone sit in his dayroom while he stood at the bar chucking beer cans against the bulkhead; we moved the bin

rabaul
1st July 2010, 22:37
I sailed with Charlie Cain on the Beechbank during 1976/77 _ even although I was a deck appy with me being from north of the border we spent a lot of time yacking with each other - I remember being in some port on the west coast of africa - continu, lagos , tema or takoradi and him dragging me from the deck into his cabin to meet the British Consul - who happened to be a Scot - I had been working most of the night was grubby, tired and probably did'nt smell too good - but he placed a glass of something in my hand - made me out to be one of the most important people he had ever met and left me making small talk with this smartly dressed burra sahib - I have good memories of Charlie.

david harrod
5th July 2010, 13:23
Crew list for Sprucebank Sept 1974 to Apr 1975, taken from notes so spelling could be iffy and there was a few name changes during that trip.

M - Trevor Smith
C/O - David Harrod
2/O - Brian Atkinson
3/O - Dave Young - Mike Foot
R/O - George Kinney
C/E - Richard Taylor - William Powell
2/E - Dave Ogden
3/E - Ian Dunlop - Dave Mathews
4/E - Anderson Lauder - Allan Woodside
5/E - Raymond Bagley - Fung Cheuk Chun
6/E - Ron Murray (self)
1/L - Alex Armstrong
2/L - John McGuiness
Cadets - Martin Donnelly & Philip Hill - George McLeod & Robert Sneddon

I remember it well; probably best that the reason for the name changes remains obscure, it was an interesting time, particularly in New Orleans where most of them took place. w ejoined in Durban, went to LM and then Capetown for Punta Arenas and WCSA...then the fun started...