Former WELLPARK Cadet

Stephen J. Card
9th February 2007, 05:15
I was cruising in New Zealand last week aboard the STATENDAM and was on the bridge for departure Dunedin. We had two polots on board. One for Dunedin and the other was aboard to take us into Milford Sound the next day for 'scenic cruising'. I only ever did 'scenic cruising' twice with Denholms. First occassion was on the SEVONIA TEAM when we came in close to Malta to have a look. Some naval vessel told us off for coming so close inshore. The second time on the LOCH LOMOND... taking a closer look at Acapulco and the local pilot boat told us to 'go away' as well.

Anyhow, the last few minutes in Milford Sound before the pilots disembarked I found out that the junior pilot was Craig Holmes... ex Denholms. Not enough time to get any more information othen that he was cadet on the WELLPARK when she rescued the boat people.

If anyone wants his e-mail I'm sure I can get it.

Stephen

Fenton
10th February 2007, 11:18
Hi

I am Andrew Griffin's daughter and looking for more people's memories ofmy Dad and the rescue, it would be great if you could point him the direction on the Wellpark rescue thread or the one I started that is anyone sailed with Andrew Griffin.

Much appreciated
Carmel

John Cassels
10th February 2007, 13:20
According to one of the three licensed Fjordland pilots , Mr.Holmes is not one
of them.

jc

Stephen J. Card
11th February 2007, 20:09
According to one of the three licensed Fjordland pilots , Mr.Holmes is not one
of them.

jc

John,

As I said...

"We had two pilots on board. One for Dunedin and the other was aboard to take us into Milford Sound the next day for 'scenic cruising".

Craig was on as Trainee pilot.... armed with digitial camera. Milford Sound pilotage must be one of the more plesant piloting jobs in the world. Not exactly an easy job but certainly a sight you would not get tired of. When the wind begins to howl through the entrance in the late afternon it gets quite hairy.

Stephen

NZSCOTTY
13th February 2007, 07:07
As one of the Fiordland Pilots I am pleased that you corrected the fact that your mate was a trainee pilot. There has been a lot of politics from maritime NZ and Environment Southland regarding Foirdland and a risk assesment which was done over 12 months ago and still not reached any conclusions. The only people not consulted were the Fiordland Pilots!!

Stephen J. Card
13th February 2007, 13:12
As one of the Fiordland Pilots I am pleased that you corrected the fact that your mate was a trainee pilot. There has been a lot of politics from maritime NZ and Environment Southland regarding Foirdland and a risk assesment which was done over 12 months ago and still not reached any conclusions. The only people not consulted were the Fiordland Pilots!!

Interesting. I guess the envrionmentalists want to put a stop to the ships calling in the Sounds? Would be a shame to ban the ships. As you well know the day in the Sounds is extremely popular. Have you piloted STATENDAM by any chance with Captain Bos? Good friend of mine.

Stephen

NZSCOTTY
14th February 2007, 20:30
Yes I did Stattendam twice this season with Peter. Excellent Master. Just came off the Pacific Venus last night after another great day in Fiordland.

Yes the greenies want the place for the deer and possums only and the govt depts are out of their depth!!

Stephen J. Card
18th February 2007, 19:54
Yes I did Stattendam twice this season with Peter. Excellent Master. Just came off the Pacific Venus last night after another great day in Fiordland.

Yes the greenies want the place for the deer and possums only and the govt depts are out of their depth!!

Scotty,

Yes, Peter is a good fellow. Well respected by everyone who sails with him. E was opriginally Shell Tankers (Netherlands) before moving to Holland America in the early 80s. I've sailed with Peter numerous times since 1993 including the 4 month world cruise in 1995. Long cruise and thankfully on occassion I was able to avoid the other pax by having dinner in Peter's cabin with his wife Kathy. Kick the shoes off and relax.

Excellent ship handler. I was most impressed to watch him bring the old ROTTERDAM alongside in Ketchikan one day. Twin screw steam turbines, single rudder, bow thruster... no more than ten feet to spare either end... no tugs and a fair bit of current. Not a scratch on the paintwork... or even close!

Are you ex Denhom also?

Stephen

NZSCOTTY
20th February 2007, 20:08
No I am ex Ben Line. It was John Cassles who let me know about the Fiordland Pilot thing and you meeting a "Trainee".

Just back again from the wilderness. This time three days with the small vessel Clipper Odyssey. Once again believe it or not majic weather in Fiordland. Off tonight for the Europa this time!!

Andy-D
14th March 2007, 00:48
I was cruising in New Zealand last week aboard the STATENDAM and was on the bridge for departure Dunedin. We had two polots on board. One for Dunedin and the other was aboard to take us into Milford Sound the next day for 'scenic cruising'. I only ever did 'scenic cruising' twice with Denholms. First occassion was on the SEVONIA TEAM when we came in close to Malta to have a look. Some naval vessel told us off for coming so close inshore. The second time on the LOCH LOMOND... taking a closer look at Acapulco and the local pilot boat told us to 'go away' as well.

Anyhow, the last few minutes in Milford Sound before the pilots disembarked I found out that the junior pilot was Craig Holmes... ex Denholms. Not enough time to get any more information othen that he was cadet on the WELLPARK when she rescued the boat people.

If anyone wants his e-mail I'm sure I can get it.

Stephen
i sailed with craig on wellpark and met him years later, he was master of a coaster..last i heard he was joining met. police.must have changed his plans!!!be obliged if you could get his e-mail address

Orkney
31st May 2007, 12:06
I sailed with Craig on Wellpark prior to the boat people rescue and interestingly, I was asked for his email address recently from another of his old shipmates. If you could get it that would be great Stephen. I was in contact with him a few years back while he was still in the UK but he left soon afterwards and we lost contact. I had heard he was piloting out there.
By the way, was Captain Mateboer on Statendam or is still on Princendam?

Stephen J. Card
14th June 2007, 15:22
I sailed with Craig on Wellpark prior to the boat people rescue and interestingly, I was asked for his email address recently from another of his old shipmates. If you could get it that would be great Stephen. I was in contact with him a few years back while he was still in the UK but he left soon afterwards and we lost contact. I had heard he was piloting out there.
By the way, was Captain Mateboer on Statendam or is still on Princendam?

Graeme,

Will try to get it later this year when I am back 'down under'.

Mateboer is now permenantly on the new NOORDAM.

Best,

Stephen

Jim MacIntyre
14th June 2007, 19:05
Stephen
How did you wangle a bridge visit ??? You must have some kind of 'in' with HAL !! (just joking) I certainly envy you - My wife and I did the Statendam cruise last February (2006) The entire voyage was absolutely spectacular but must admit the cruise through the Sounds was the highlight.
Recall we had to leave Napier due to a 'sympathy' swell inside the breakwater. The ship was surging fore and aft about twenty or so feet and after parting the first line ashore we left Napier and slow steamed on to Wellington.
I was usually up and about for all the port arrivals and the berthing in Port Chalmers was certainly an impressive demonstration of ship handling.
Cheers
Jim Mac

Stephen J. Card
17th June 2007, 15:33
Stephen
How did you wangle a bridge visit ??? You must have some kind of 'in' with HAL !! (just joking) I certainly envy you - My wife and I did the Statendam cruise last February (2006) The entire voyage was absolutely spectacular but must admit the cruise through the Sounds was the highlight.
Recall we had to leave Napier due to a 'sympathy' swell inside the breakwater. The ship was surging fore and aft about twenty or so feet and after parting the first line ashore we left Napier and slow steamed on to Wellington.
I was usually up and about for all the port arrivals and the berthing in Port Chalmers was certainly an impressive demonstration of ship handling.
Cheers
Jim Mac

I've known Captain Bos since 1993 when he was Chief Officer on STATENDAM and she was a brand new ship! Sailed with him many times since then, mostly on board the old ROTTERDAM. First class fellow and a fine seaman and a rather good ship handler as you state.

I spoke to him just a few days ago.... he was off to rejoin STATENDAM in Vancouver. Will see him again when STATENDAM comes back to Australia in November. He shifts over to VOLENDAM late next year when she starts on the Aus/NZ run.

I've sailed in STATENDAM quite a few times since her maiden voyage. She is wearing well..... out in front of the house at least. Behind the scenes she is struggling a bit. Plumbing, tank tops etc etc.... all beginning to cause problems. My guess is that she will be replaced in another five years or so. Sad because she is a rather handy size ship.

Stephen