Benloyal

Joe Freeman
9th February 2007, 21:53
Hello, are there any Ben Line Engineers out there that were part of the engine room crew during her trials in 1959 who would remember a particular incident or any broblem with the HP Turbine.

oglebilluk
10th February 2007, 15:47
Hello, are there any Ben Line Engineers out there that were part of the engine room crew during her trials in 1959 who would remember a particular incident or any broblem with the HP Turbine.

Delighted to read this, I'd thought my memory was playing tricks!

As an engineer apprentice with Brocks I spent part of my Phase 3, back in 1959/ 60, at Rowans the engine builders at Glasgow. The Ben Loyal was being "fixed" following her trials.

Some of the guys had souvenir lumps of metal which had obviously melted; I think it was steel with a "marbling effect" of white metal running through. My recollection is that these were the remains of the thrust block which had seized whilst on full power trials. Am I close anyone? It was certainly a topic of conversation at the time, and must have been an unerving experience for those on board.

Bill

Joe Freeman
11th February 2007, 17:40
Hi Bill,
I was an apprentice at Rowan's at that time having just spent six months in the training school. I carried the tools for the journeyman. I don't rember much as the turbine had been repaired by the time I got onto the ship. I seem to remember that the HP turbine rotor from the Benglow's engine which was just being completed in the shop, was used to replace the damaged rotor from BENLOYAL. The foreman was Jimmy Miller and the jurneyman was Dave, can't remember his second name but he assembled and fitted the blades onto the rotors. A very skilled job.
Any other recollections.
Joe

oglebilluk
12th February 2007, 12:43
Hi Bill,
I was an apprentice at Rowan's at that time having just spent six months in the training school. I carried the tools for the journeyman. I don't rember much as the turbine had been repaired by the time I got onto the ship. I seem to remember that the HP turbine rotor from the Benglow's engine which was just being completed in the shop, was used to replace the damaged rotor from BENLOYAL. The foreman was Jimmy Miller and the jurneyman was Dave, can't remember his second name but he assembled and fitted the blades onto the rotors. A very skilled job.
Any other recollections.
Joe

Hi Joe

We must have come into contact in Rowan's nearly 50 years ago!!

I spent quite some time working on fitting blading to turbine rotors, with an elderly guy who I think had been brought back from retirement; can't recall his name. It was boring and tiring. I remember buying myself a 1.5 lb hammer to replace the 2.5 standard issue, made life a lot easier. The last few in each row were ground down by hand to fit neatly into the "gate" before the gate was filled in and hand filed flush. Then a "shroud" was fitted around the tops of all the blades in that row, with each blade keyed into a punched strip. For the lp (larger) blading there was also a heavy wire fitted, and brazed, onto the centre of each blade, I presume to prevent vibration.

I vaguely remember watching one of the top turners working from the cast of a turbine rotor; he did a first rough cut using a 3ft rule and marking out with chalk. Later in the process the real precision came in.

It all sounds very "old hat" now

Bill

Joe Freeman
12th February 2007, 21:08
Hi Bill,
I spent some time in the turbine shop mostly in the turbine pit, filing and scraping. I also worked with a little short blond guy who also fitted the blades and shrouding to the rotors but I can't remember his name. I only remember the two foremen. Jimmy McMillan and Bobby Reid who was quite a drinker. I remember he went on most of the turbine trials because of his experience. Two other foremen in the fitting shop were Willie Campbell and Johnny Blue. The engine shop Manager was wee Jimmy McGregor who was also in charge of the West works Diesel shop as well.
I remember there was a bit of a scandal regarding the HP turbine failure as it appeared to be a poor decision made by the overall works manager, who will remain nameless. On completion of the speed trials, he requested or more to the piont demanded to open all extra steam nozzles for maximum power.
What actually happened inside the turbine casing during this speed trial was a mystery to me at the time. The reality of that decision did not become apparent to me until I became 4th. engineer on the S.S. Benvorlich in 1967.
Have I brought back any more memories.

oglebilluk
20th February 2007, 15:05
Hi Bill,
I spent some time in the turbine shop mostly in the turbine pit, filing and scraping. I also worked with a little short blond guy who also fitted the blades and shrouding to the rotors but I can't remember his name. I only remember the two foremen. Jimmy McMillan and Bobby Reid who was quite a drinker. I remember he went on most of the turbine trials because of his experience. Two other foremen in the fitting shop were Willie Campbell and Johnny Blue. The engine shop Manager was wee Jimmy McGregor who was also in charge of the West works Diesel shop as well.
I remember there was a bit of a scandal regarding the HP turbine failure as it appeared to be a poor decision made by the overall works manager, who will remain nameless. On completion of the speed trials, he requested or more to the piont demanded to open all extra steam nozzles for maximum power.
What actually happened inside the turbine casing during this speed trial was a mystery to me at the time. The reality of that decision did not become apparent to me until I became 4th. engineer on the S.S. Benvorlich in 1967.
Have I brought back any more memories.

Hi Joe
Sorry for the delay in reply, computer got a bit weary on me.

You're doing better than me on the names, I can't remember any of the local guys at all. I went there with another guy from Brocks called Pete Fuller; I think he went ashore quite early on, back to Glasgow were he married and joined the police.

Incidentally here's what I'm busy with now www.ssmanxman.co.uk

Regards

Bill

Joe Freeman
21st February 2007, 01:01
Hi Bill,
Had a quick look at the SS Manxman website. Quite a daunting task you have ahead of you. I hope it developes as well as the Waverley reconstruction project.
Time does take a toll on the little grey cells, that is why I am trying to reconsrtuct all this information. Mostly I worked in the diesel shop on Sulzer and Stork diesel engine assembly and testing. The engine shop foreman's name was John Mc Geoch, a very tall man with brown coat, glasses and the proverbial bunnet.
Regards,
Joe.

ncalver
14th March 2008, 07:38
I am researching "MV Benloyal" on behalf of my father in law but the one built in 1944 not 1959. I have printed out any photos that I can get hold of but whilst the photos say they are all pre 1951 they seem to be two different ships. ie stack in a different location. I have been unable to locate definite pictures of your ship so I can sort the 1959 from 1944. Do you know where I can locate pictures of your "Benloyal"? or even my father in laws.

Thanks

dom
14th March 2008, 07:57
posted a photo of Benloyal/.Empire Swordsman 1944 in cargo ships/dom,photo is as Loch Ranza