Cumberland

flyer682
8th December 2004, 10:15
One of the eight ship HAPARANGI class, the CUMBERLAND came from the yard of A. Stephen & Sons Ltd., in 1948. Of 11,281grt on a length of 561 feet, she met her end at Kaohsiung on Christmas Day 1976 after a lifetime of service under the Red Ensign.

Peter Steele
26th April 2005, 11:28
Hi, I was a crewmember on the Cumberland from 18/6/1960 to 28/7/61. I was a steward and this was my last ship before I emigrated to New Zealand. I did two trips on her. Before that I "worked by" on the 'Nottingham' and did a trip on the 'Hinakura' before that.
My first ship with New Zealand Shipping Co was the MV Surrey. I did three trips on her from 2nd January 1957 to 30th April 1958.
I also sailed on the "Darro" (Royal Mail) and the MV "Port Dunedin" (2 trips).
If anyone is from the same era and interested in starting up a dialogue on a regular/irregular basis I will pleased to reply.
regards Peter Steele. petesteele@xtra.co.nz

Steve1
7th October 2005, 16:38
Hi, I was an Assistant Engineer on the Cumberland for two trips from October 1973 until December 1974.
Although we had to work hard on the first trip because it kept breaking down, I enjoyed the 'H' boat atmosphere so much, I returned for a second trip before I decided to have a change of ship.
If anyone sailed on her during this same period please get in touch.

Doxfordman
8th October 2005, 00:56
Steve, did you ever know an A/E/O called "Mush" he was from some Island in the North of Scotland, mad as a cut snake!

Steve1
8th October 2005, 12:25
Dox.
Sorry can't remember anyone by that name.
One I do remember was the 2nd Engineer called Grant Wallace. He was from up the top of Scotland, Buckie I think.
Steve.

tanker
8th October 2005, 14:59
A long series of sisters/sim.built from 1947:HAPARANGI-HINAKURA-HERTFORD-HUNTNGDON and SUSSEX.
Gp

Doxfordman
9th October 2005, 10:28
Haparangie, Hinikura, Hauraki, Hurunui, Hertford, Huntingdon, Cumberland, Sussex, the glorious "H" Boats. Hauraki ws the first - 1946.
Fantastic ships, 2 x 5 cylinder LBD Doxfords witha centre scavange pump. The John Brown build engines had solid link top piston swining arms for upper piston cooland whilst the others, built by Vickers - Armstrongs and A.Stephen and Sons had swinging hoses to carry upper piston coolant. Many many happy days!

Steve1
9th October 2005, 21:13
Dox,
The Cumberland which was built by Alex Stephens had solid pipe swinging arms not the hoses.
I remember them bloody things like the back of my hand. Always having to re pack the glands when they were leaking.
If you had to stop at sea when they got so bad, you were given about two minutes to undo he gland, strip out the old packing and re pack. You got damned good at that.

Doxfordman
10th October 2005, 11:11
Steve,
You are correct, barcly curle come to mind. We used a new invovation of expensive packing instead of the normal Beldam. Chestertons I think it was called. Came already cut and in rolls. Very easy to use.

Steve1
10th October 2005, 17:14
Chestertons it was.
I'd have never remembered that name if you had'nt jogged my memory.

Doxfordman
10th October 2005, 22:14
One trip on the old Sussex from Falmouth to Cape town we stopped 36 times for water leaks and pulled in to the Canaries for a X head bearing failure. I think those old engines ran on water and lube oil, they certainly had their fair share of emusified oil.

Steve1
11th October 2005, 20:22
The scavenge fires were the most spectaular. Especially when you were on deck at night.

Doxfordman
12th October 2005, 02:06
Yep, they sure were, but I think Essex and Otaki were better for scavange fires, the Sulzers beat the Doxfords in that area, the only thing they could beat them in........

Santos
12th October 2005, 21:18
I wonder if any of you NZS and Federal old timers can help me. Around 1970, I was ashore working for a Marine Paint outfit in Liverpool. We were asked by NZS to paint one of the Black hull ships in the NZS light green.

The ship was berthed in Birkenhead at the time and was duly painted under my supervision. She looked great when finished and we were very proud of her.

Some two months later, my boss and I were summoned to the main NZS Office in James Street, Liverpool and shown some pictures of the ship when she reached Australia. The paint was hanging off in sheets and showing the black underneath.(EEK)

I dont think we were asked to do it again, or in fact do anything again for NZS.(Sad)

Does anyone remember the incident and if so the name of the ship as I cannot recall her name at all.

Chris.

Doxfordman
12th October 2005, 23:10
Chris,

Not so much of the "old timer", lol.
The NZSC "T" and "M" class ships were painted in Green. Tongariro, Taupo, Tekoa and Westmorland, Mataura and Manapouri. Wild auk was also painted in Green when she was new, but as to a paint job in Liverpool over black, I'm not sure. Perhaps some of the other "old timers" can help????

Santos
13th October 2005, 21:13
Thanks Dox, I really cant remember the name but it did happen and I will never forget sitting in the NZS office and looking at those pics, I couldnt believe what I was looking at.

I dont know if it was a one off experiment by the company or if they tried it again. I know that we did try to get them to shotblast the hull to get the old paint off but it appears that was too expensive and we had to paint over the existing black gloss paint. We washed her down in fresh water, but obviously there was still alot of salt around to stop the new paint sticking properly.

Hope someone can tell me her name.

Chris.

teachertalk1234
14th October 2005, 14:28
Nice to hear from you again Stevie. We have chatted before through Merchant Navy Officers. I did the trip on the Cumberland after you. I too remember Grant Walace but he was second on the Wild Auk when I was there. You joined in Halifax when Tony someone or other was second. Yes I too remember those bloody glands and when the swinging links in the crancase which cooled the lower pistons went it was a very hot sweaty job to do them with the engine just stopped.

Tony Millen
3rd February 2006, 01:19
I was on the MV Cumberland between 18th April and the 4th Oct. '63 as an EDH and then again from the 6th Nov. '63 'til 23rd March '64. I actually got married in Lyttelton that trip and then I got a run job on the Waitaki which was the Whakatane and it was sold to the Union Steamship Co. So except for a trip home in 1985 I have been out here ever since. I would like to hear from anyone from that time or before as I also was on the Rangitoto the Devon Dorset Lincoln (Tanker) also the Newcastle Star and the Drina. (Royal Mail Lines)

jim barnes
3rd February 2006, 02:11
Thanks Dox, I really cant remember the name but it did happen and I will never forget sitting in the NZS office and looking at those pics, I couldnt believe what I was looking at.

I dont know if it was a one off experiment by the company or if they tried it again. I know that we did try to get them to shotblast the hull to get the old paint off but it appears that was too expensive and we had to paint over the existing black gloss paint. We washed her down in fresh water, but obviously there was still alot of salt around to stop the new paint sticking properly.

Hope someone can tell me her name.

Chris.Cameleon? (Hippy) I know not helpfull (Thumb)

jg grant
11th June 2009, 23:46
Hi Tony from North shore Jafaland. I might have been on Cumberland same time as you. On my trip we carried some Aberdeen Angus on deck and a few midget horses and someones pet dog that had been in quarantine . The dog was called Bengo. I have located one shipmate from that trip and he is in Mt Maunganui. He did about seven trips on her so you might know him too. Peter Gallagher A/s. I was second cook and baker. Bernie and Danny on deck, can't remember anymore names. Regards Ronnie

davyt
1st August 2009, 21:42
I joined the Cumberland in Lyttelton in apr 24 1966 from Mt Crawford after jumping the Huntingdon in Napier in dec 65.We carried three showjumping horses as deck cargo and discharged them in Hull our first port of call before we took her round the land to discharge the perishable cargo during the Seamans strike and then to Drydock in Swansea in July.I paid off with 13 9s 3d as NZSC took all the expenses I caused them off me 51 in all,but no regrets from me.great old ships &better memories.still miss kiwi.

cubpilot
3rd August 2009, 19:46
in common with all the engineer apprentices that were trained by NZSCo in the 50/60s i had my fair share of time on H boats. a love hate relationship for most engineers. great fun but hard work. strange memories of odd events such as the invasion of butterflies and moths one trip as we entered the pacific that perked everyone up after the exhaustion of bunkering and repairs in curacao followed by the run through the panama canal.
sussex by the sea played on a crackly system as we left NZ for home, pitcairn islanders singing in their longboats. i could go on and on but the main thing was that with that many crew on board each ship had it's own a soul and was not at all like a modern floating machine

fisherman
25th August 2009, 21:51
I was on the MV Cumberland between 18th April and the 4th Oct. '63 as an EDH and then again from the 6th Nov. '63 'til 23rd March '64. I actually got married in Lyttelton that trip and then I got a run job on the Waitaki which was the Whakatane and it was sold to the Union Steamship Co. So except for a trip home in 1985 I have been out here ever since. I would like to hear from anyone from that time or before as I also was on the Rangitoto the Devon Dorset Lincoln (Tanker) also the Newcastle Star and the Drina. (Royal Mail Lines)
Hello Tony I sailed on the Lincoln took her to Antwerp, I think for the change over to Trident, some time in 64 will have to get discharge book from the roof space to be sure sailed as EDH

fisherman
25th August 2009, 22:05
I joined the Cumberland in Lyttelton in apr 24 1966 from Mt Crawford after jumping the Huntingdon in Napier in dec 65.We carried three showjumping horses as deck cargo and discharged them in Hull our first port of call before we took her round the land to discharge the perishable cargo during the Seamans strike and then to Drydock in Swansea in July.I paid off with 13 9s 3d as NZSC took all the expenses I caused them off me 51 in all,but no regrets from me.great old ships &better memories.still miss kiwi.
Hello davey weird coincidense, I jumped the Suffolk in wellington rejoined her in Duneiden around the same time you took your holiday worked for ford motor co in the Hutt valley for a month before the found me spent amonth in Mnt Crawford paid off in Liverpool after getting done by customs for 3lb of old holborn for my dad & 600 cigs hanging down the inside of no3 stbd sampson post paid off with less than you happy days

rickzek
5th September 2009, 08:41
Anyone remember Jonnie Evans a steward from Wolverhampton . Last seen on the Cumberland in 1971 in Auckland tied up next to the Otaio.

glyn jones
5th September 2009, 14:02
Hi to all you ex mariners. I did a home trade run on the Cumberland in 62 as
2nd cook.This was preceeeded by voyages on the Derby and Huntindon. and followed by a great trip on the Cornwall where everyone was armed with water pistols! Then joined Port Line, (bad move) afterwards Shaw Saville, (very good move) as Cook, finishing up on my all time favourite the Zealandic.
Although she could roll in dry dock, she was the happiest ship I sailed on!

antoni zaccardelli
8th March 2013, 16:12
hi,does anyone remember toni zacc' & mick winterbottom from the 'cumberland' in 1972'we were deckboy first trippers

Pat McCardle
9th March 2013, 05:31
Santos...It could have been SOMERSET, I'm sure she had her colour change in Birkenhead.

alan dd
14th May 2013, 22:15
I was on the Somerset in 1977, I left just after the dry-dock in Falmouth around August. She was black then. Following this though she was then chartered to OCL and their ships were all painted 'Brunswick Green' maybe it was her that was painted, although a few years later, and Brunswick green is quite dark......

barrinoz
15th May 2013, 04:11
hi,does anyone remember toni zacc' & mick winterbottom from the 'cumberland' in 1972'we were deckboy first trippers

When in 1972? Winterbottom rings a faint bell. I was on the Cumberland from June 72 onwards.
barrinoz.

JulesNZ
1st June 2013, 11:19
When in 1972? Winterbottom rings a faint bell. I was on the Cumberland from June 72 onwards.
barrinoz.

Does anyone remember Terry Clark?? He was a Scottish guy on the Cumberland, January 1972. Lyttelton Christchurch, NZ