Arawa

purserjuk
10th February 2007, 15:11
Can anyone tell me how many ships NZS have had bearing the name "Arawa" and also their dates of build? Thanks in anticipation of any assistance.

gadgee
10th February 2007, 17:44
Are you sure you mean NZS because Shaw Savill had four ARAWA's between 1884 and 1969?

purserjuk
11th February 2007, 11:23
Apologies Paul! Yes I did mean Shaw Savill - got my New Zealand traders mixed up.

gadgee
11th February 2007, 14:01
Purserjuk

OK, well I have the info on the four Arawa's but firstly I shall attempt to move your post over to Shaw Savill if it is possible.

gadgee
11th February 2007, 14:10
I have moved it to Shaw Savill. I shall answer your question later, unless I am beaten to it!

gadgee
11th February 2007, 17:21
Arawa (1) built 1884 by Denny Dumbarton. Sold 1899. Torpedoed in 1915.
Arawa (2) built 1906 by Swan Hunter Wallsend. Sold 1928. Torpedoed 1942.
Arawa (3) built 1922 by Beardsmore Glasgow. 1955 Scrapped in South Wales.
Arawa (4) built 1960 as Arlanza for Royal Mail. 1969 transferred to SSA as Arawa.Sold 1971. Scrapped 1981.

I have a lot more information on these vessels, but you only actually asked for their dates of build.

You may find this link of interest:-

http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/index.htm

and

http://www.nzmaritimeindex.org.nz/ixsearchvessels.asp

purserjuk
12th February 2007, 11:06
Paul,
Many thanks for the info. My interest is in a ship named "Port Henderson/Lake Megantic" of Elder Dempster forebears. I have been given a photo of "Arawa" which shows her with four masts - Port Henderson had only three. Further research reveals the main mast was removed in 1901, hence difference. I had seen another photo of "Arawa" but must have been one of the others you listed.
John

gadgee
12th February 2007, 13:04
The Arawa (1) was acquired by Elder Dempster in 1899. She was renamed Lake Magentic in 1900 . In 1905 she became Port Henderson for Elders Imperial Direct West India mail service. In 1911 she was owned by British and African SN Co.

eldersuk
12th February 2007, 23:36
purserjuk

Do you get the Elders of Elders newsletter? The latest edition includes a letter about the ARAWA. If you want to be added to the mailing list send me a PM with your name & address and I'll make sure you get it.

Derek

gboyce
27th August 2007, 18:25
purserjuk

Do you get the Elders of Elders newsletter? The latest edition includes a letter about the ARAWA. If you want to be added to the mailing list send me a PM with your name & address and I'll make sure you get it.

Derek
I would be most interested if you have any photos of the Arawa (1), especially when she was named the Lake Megantic. I recently acquired a watercolour sketch by a ("minor" - auctioneer's comment!) Canadian artist - Albert Samuel Brodeur (1862-1904) - of the "Lake Megantic" showing just her stern tied up at dock. The painting is signed and dated 18 9 02.

Graham

purserjuk
28th August 2007, 14:58
I have a photo of "Lake Megantic". Send me your e-mail address and I will scan it for you. At present in the throes of moving house so may be a couple of weeks before I can do this though.
Regards
John

Craig Walsh
9th November 2008, 04:09
I am interested in locating more information about the S.S. Arawa (#1, built 1884).

I know that my ancestors sailed on the S.S. Arawa from San Francisco to Hawaii in January 1895. I just obtained a copy of the passenger manifest from the Hawaii State Archives --- to see a copy please click here (http://lordoflucies.com/tng/showmedia.php?mediaID=522&medialinkID=1157).

I know from the ISTG website (http://www.immigrantships.net/v4/1800v4/arawa18941222.html) that the Arawa sailed from Sydney on 25 Nov 1894 and arrived in San Francisco on 22 Dec 1894. The sailing from San Francisco to Hawaii departed on 19 Jan 1895.

Would the vessel have simply remained in port, in San Francisco, from 22 Dec to 19 Jan?

This is of interest to me because my great-grandfather James William Wilkinson was an engineer on the Hawaiian inter-island steamships. He was born in relatively poor circumstances in Manchester, England in 1869, the son of an organ builder. And yet somehow he got to Honolulu. All of the information I've been able to find on James is on my website --- just click here (ttp://lordoflucies.com/tng/getperson.php?personID=I19&tree=Walsh).

The family legend says he was a sailor and met his future wife in Honolulu. He then supposedly "jumped ship" in Hawaii.

We have been able to ascertain that he was not a sailor in the Royal Navy, so that just leaves the British merchant marine. And it's impossible to find further information without knowing the name of his vessel. I've also learned that not all crew lists were filed back in the UK: apparently just the crew lists of vessels that began or completed their voyages in the UK. Other crew lists were apparently filed with British consulates, and few made their way back to the UK itself.

One thought I had was that James may have been on the crew of the Arawa. And if the Arawa periodically sailed to the UK, then the crew list might have been filed there.

How would I get more information about the voyages (dates, ports) of the S.S. Arawa? It looks like Lloyds may have compiled this information and it might no be in the library in London, but their website seems to indicate that only records after 1927 have been indexed.

Any thoughts, advice, information would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

fdogg
20th September 2009, 15:34
Hi I'm trying to establish which Arawa it was that sailed from Liverpool to Auckland in 1927 carrying passengers. I think it was the second, built in 1906. Any ideas or further information? for example, when it left etc. thanks