BP-US West Coast New Ships

ChiefCharles
11th February 2007, 01:15
This link will take you to the latest problem being experienced by the NASSCO BP New Builds. Rudders, anchors, mooring bitts - what next?
Lucky no one was killed in this incident.

[URL="http://www.marinelink.com/Story/ShowStory.aspx?StoryID=205921"]

Bearsie
11th February 2007, 01:51
They should have had them build in Philly :)

HENNEGANOL
11th February 2007, 09:57
The article implies that the bits are cast and not fabricated!

Another article on that site concerning the anchors, states that they were made in China!

It would appear that BP were forced by Federal Law to have the ships built in an American yard.

Gerry Taylor

Bearsie
11th February 2007, 23:14
The article implies that the bits are cast and not fabricated!

Another article on that site concerning the anchors, states that they were made in China!

It would appear that BP were forced by Federal Law to have the ships built in an American yard.

Gerry Taylor

Philadelphia builds very good ships and currently is building a series of 10 tankers, albeit NOT at Chinese Prices...
American yards are known to be able to do high quality high tech work, just not cheap.
In regards to the anchors (and possibly the bitts) It shouldn't matter if they are cast steel or fabricated.

The American Maritime Union has filed bitter complaints with the authorities about the fact that more and more "pieces parts" on US build ships come pre-assembled from "foreign" countries. While the law clearly states that the ships have to be build 100% in the US.
While being "foreign made" in itself should not be a quality issue, I am convinced that these "pieces parts" are not made by highly overpaid Swedish, Dutch or German workers, but by low cost labor in a place far away ...
As far as BP being forced into anything, no one forced them to do business here. Other companies built lots of ships in the US and they are not falling apart.
This wouldn't be the same BP that had to shut down corroded pipe lines, corroded due to lack of maintenance?

fred henderson
12th February 2007, 11:45
As I understand matters, these tankers work between Alaska and West Coast USA. Under the Jones Act regulations all merchant ships working between US ports, must be under US flag, should be built in USA shipyards and must have US crews. Star managed to get some Hawaii cruise ships built outside of US yards, but BP were forced to build in USA.
I have also read that Congress plans to conduct formal hearings into alleged defective design and construction standards used in the latest US Navy and US Coastguard ships. The problems seem to come from the yards being allowed to self certify construction standards.

Fred

Bill Lambert
13th February 2007, 04:53
I worked as an owners Consultant at Phillyshipyard for 7 months in 2004.
Only the steel structural work is done there, nothing else, strictly steel. They have no blacksmith shops, so there's no way they can make chains or anchors. Everything is built in Grand Blocks and fitted together in the drydock. The steelwork needed a lot to be desired but they got a bit better as they gained experience, but it was a hard slog. Nearly all the ships equipment is foreign made and is imported. It has to be, there's no other choice. All the top management were mainly Europeans. Norwegians, Finns, Swedes, Germans, Scottish, a Gibraltarian. The latter two where great guys.
The Swedes where good too because they supported England & Liverpool football teams. Oh, and there was a Paint Shop too.

Bearsie
13th February 2007, 10:26
I worked as an owners Consultant at Phillyshipyard for 7 months in 2004.
Only the steel structural work is done there, nothing else, strictly steel. They have no blacksmith shops, so there's no way they can make chains or anchors. Everything is built in Grand Blocks and fitted together in the drydock. The steelwork needed a lot to be desired but they got a bit better as they gained experience, but it was a hard slog. Nearly all the ships equipment is foreign made and is imported. It has to be, there's no other choice. All the top management were mainly Europeans. Norwegians, Finns, Swedes, Germans, Scottish, a Gibraltarian. The latter two where great guys.
The Swedes where good too because they supported England & Liverpool football teams. Oh, and there was a Paint Shop too.

As you mentioned "Made in USA" is going to be tricky due to lack of a US supplier industry. In years no ship yard has build their own anchors, hydraulic pumps, motors, radar, propellers, refrigerators and so on.
Since Philly is owned by Kvaerner I'd expect lots of Norwegians running about :)
Incidently the original deal to reopen the yard soaked up about 110 million dollars of US tax payers money (signed by Clinton).
Matson seems to be happy with their ships.
And as you said by now the yard "crew" (600 strong) should have settled in and regained the experience needed to build stuff properly.
What will continue to be bothersome is the lack of a supplier base.
Simply because unless they supplied either the navy or the oil business (offshore) there isn't going to be many of them left due to lack of activity over the years.
There are many reasons why that is so but thats a different issue alltogether...
I bet that that was an interesting 7 months for you?

Bill Lambert
14th February 2007, 08:39
If I remember rightly, the steel plating was imported from Germany.
We didn't think the place was viable and wouldn't last.
Someone is bank rolling them form somewhere, probably Uncle Sam.
Those tankers are to be bare boat chartered.