Turakina

Fairfield
9th December 2004, 15:01
Unfortunately in P&O corporate again,taken in Glasgow in 1976.

Pat McCardle
23rd June 2005, 16:33
Ahh! The company 'Yacht'

dicamus
6th July 2005, 22:34
Whilst I was serving aboard the Hertford, the Turakina joined us in Timaru. In those days it was sporting the NZSC funnel and flag. The vessel left before us late one evening and on returning from the 'party' we were surprised to see it fully illuminated outside the harbour. The news was soon forthcoming that the ship had run aground on the rocks. In daylight it was seen to be unloading onto lighters to try and refloat it. She was finally refloated after a few days and towed to Wellington for inspection and repair. I just wish I still had the pics to show :@

lagerstedt
24th October 2005, 10:20
The Turakina had her name changed to Pactricia U. I have two photos of her in the St Lawerence Waterway but they are two large to fit here. Went I can reduce them I will post them. Not to sure if still trading.

Regrds

Blair Lagerstedt

leggoaft
25th October 2005, 19:38
Has anyone details of the loss of the Turakina in WW2 A few members of her crew survived and were taken prisoner. One of the survivors was an engineer, who I think eventually became Superintendent Engineer with the Company

ruud
31st October 2005, 08:40
The Turakina had her name changed to Pactricia U. I have two photos of her in the St Lawerence Waterway but they are two large to fit here. Went I can reduce them I will post them. Not to sure if still trading.

Regrds

Blair LagerstedtAhoy Blair,
Here you are:

http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/5030/turakinanowpatriciau9md.th.jpg (http://img500.imageshack.us/my.php?image=turakinanowpatriciau9md.jpg)

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/7339/turakinainstlawrencewaterwayno.th.jpg (http://img457.imageshack.us/my.php?image=turakinainstlawrencewaterwayno.jpg)

flyer682
31st October 2005, 09:22
Whilst I was serving aboard the Hertford, the Turakina joined us in Timaru. In those days it was sporting the NZSC funnel and flag. The vessel left before us late one evening and on returning from the 'party' we were surprised to see it fully illuminated outside the harbour. The news was soon forthcoming that the ship had run aground on the rocks. In daylight it was seen to be unloading onto lighters to try and refloat it. She was finally refloated after a few days and towed to Wellington for inspection and repair. I just wish I still had the pics to show :@
I think the ship you refer to is the TRENEGLOS of Hain-Nourse which ran aground just south of the port in 1964.

Bruce Carson
31st October 2005, 13:19
Has anyone details of the loss of the Turakina in WW2 A few members of her crew survived and were taken prisoner. One of the survivors was an engineer, who I think eventually became Superintendent Engineer with
the Company

HI:
Here's a short article on the loss of the previous 'Turakina' (3).

http://www.nzshipmarine.com/newpage3.aspx

Hamilton's shipyard, I believe, was in Port Glasgow and not Glasgow.

Bruce C.

leggoaft
31st October 2005, 14:49
Very many thanks, have read the artical with much interest

ozescorp
8th November 2005, 12:49
hi ,
the british history channel has a documentary that has been shown called Shipwreck;Tararua and Turakina.I am trying to find information on the Turakina also as my grandfather was on board when it was hit by the Orion.
Also, the Australian War Memorial website has photos of some of the survivors taken on Emirau Island. They are under the collections section.

bosunjohnboy
15th December 2005, 16:14
i served on the turakina in 76, we were on the NZ to guam, japan, korea then back to new zealand, and she was a beautiful ship, a real seamans ship, after leaving japan after a refit, she looked superb, as cargo boats, she really stood out, that was until we hit a typhoon in the pacific, we stated in the same place for four days even though we were going full ahead, we then limped into aukland, smashed derricks, smashed hatches, what a mess, and on arrival all the press and TV were there to greet us, felt like bloody film stars, i can honestly say it was one of the very few times, in 35 years in the merch, that i was crapping myself, the only person who got any sleep during the typhoon was the bleeding ships cat, and then we had a bond to pay on it in new zealand in case it jumped ship, not long after that it was christmas time, and a port line boat was in with us, so a few of us, thought it was time to have a laugh, so in the early hours, we sneaked over and put our house flag on the port boat and vice-versa, next morning the bloody port boat sailed with our flag, then our skipper got a call on the VHF, he came into the mess room at dinner with thunder on his face,we were the picture of innosence, and blamed it on there lot, saying they had caused nothing but trouble since they were in port, we lot then retired to ma gleesons and got wrecked, prieless days under the red duster regards bosunjohnboy

J Boyde
16th December 2005, 09:35
I saw the Treneglos in the floating dock in Wellington. have some photos of the bent part. I will see if I can find it, then find out how to send the photos
Jim Boyde

Boots
16th December 2005, 12:25
The Engineer was Alan Slater, who was a first tripper when Turakina was lost. His wife is a very good friend of ours and they lived at Wirral near Liverpool, where he died of a heart attack early this year.

Rusty
17th December 2005, 01:04
There is a detailed account of the sinking of the "Turakina" in the book by Edward J Sweeney, "A Merchant Seaman's Survival" ISBN no. 0 9536624 0 3

Rusty

billmaca
28th January 2006, 23:18
I went on board the Turakina when she came in after that typhon the bulkhead in str'b allyway if I remember rightly was all bulged out where rolls of steel had broke lose in the hatch i had a couple of towny's sailing on her then Charly Cook and Tommy Murray maybe bosonjohnboy remembers them

Billy Brown
22nd February 2006, 17:13
I was on the Piako in Avonmouth when the Mate came in the mess and said 'You three are going to join the Turakina today'. Myself , Sean Dring and another lad whose name was Dave, I can't remember his full name, we called him mouse, had been mythering the office in KGV to get on Turakina because we thought she was still on the crusader run. The Mate added that we were to go to Liverpool.
We caught the train at Bristol TM thinking of days and weeks spent cruising the South Pacific and all those great ports in Kiwi and Oz, trips to Japan for Seiko watches and runs to the West Coast of the States for some of that free love and flower power!!
When we got to Liverpool we were told to go to Gladstone Dock and join the ship! What a surprise, she was no longer a crusader and she had that god awful P&O funnel. Anyay we signed on and sailed that night for Oz. This is my home port and I never even got a chance to go home and see my Mum and Dad.
We did a round the world trip and arrived back in Liverpool on 3/3/73. It was a great trip with a great crowd, some of them had been on her for years, my cabin was the last one on the stbd side looking out onto the after deck.
Oh, by the way, she was called the Co yacht for the reason that she was spotless. We never stopped painting, soogiing, scrubbing, chipping etc. it seems the Co didn't mind about the overtime bill. But somehow she just didn't look quite right with that bloody horrible funnel.

Doxfordman
22nd February 2006, 20:02
Billy,

Can only agree about that bloody horrible funnel!!!

John Wonfor
4th October 2006, 13:04
Billy Brown! You must be the same Billy Brown I sailed with on the Cumberland in "72. Billy Brown, Mouse, Sean Dring.I know all those names. I was known as John Evans then. Were you on there with Pablo and John (Boom Boom) Eisenbarth? Things you find on this site! I've only just been told about it my an old shipmate. Been on here for hours.

muldonaich
13th October 2006, 23:06
Billy Brown! You must be the same Billy Brown I sailed with on the Cumberland in "72. Billy Brown, Mouse, Sean Dring.I know all those names. I was known as John Evans then. Were you on there with Pablo and John (Boom Boom) Eisenbarth? Things you find on this site! I've only just been told about it my an old shipmate. Been on here for hours.hi john hows life treating you and the family best regards to you all kevin jannie.

lagerstedt
16th October 2006, 02:07
Found this photo at http://www.riversea.tugtalk.co.uk. The site also says the Turakina became Gulf Reefer in 1982, Sines in 1985 and was broken up at Huangu 21/1/86.

This is a good site to look at.

Not sure who took the photo of the Turakina which I have attached. All credits go to the above web site and those who run it.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
New Zealand

billyboy248
31st October 2006, 17:20
To J Boyde

Hi old salt, I was on the Treneglos I took some photo's but they are all too dark to see when she was in dry dock, would love to see yours if poss.
billyboy248.

tunatownshipwreck
17th March 2009, 09:12
An image that might jar some memories:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/168141

rickzek
24th May 2009, 12:43
TORRENS has posted a colour photograph of the Turakina in Crusader trim.
The largest reel to reel stero I had ever seen in the crew bar .One of the perks of the Crusader run.Happy days.

iandw
4th August 2009, 11:58
I am only a recent member of this site and have found it most interesting. The son of the skipper of the Turakina came to NZ and originally worked in the Wanganui Office of the NZSC. He eventually went into the insurance game and I worked with him at Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd where he retired from as the Marine Manager for NZ. He was a very typical Scotsman and when he lived in Wellington we knew him as "The Laird of Karori".