s.s. Orsova

Doug Rogers
11th December 2004, 05:19
s.s. Orsova in port at Pago Pago during her extended Pacific cruise season in 1972

ss-orsova
11th September 2005, 01:37
What a lovely picture !!!......... well done....

SS Orsova in all her glory............

Regards,

Jon

DOUGLA
16th October 2005, 17:56
Orsova was the ship that took me to Australia from NZ in 1969. Wonderful !
What happened to her and the Oronsay, broken up I suppose.
Regards

KenLin39
16th October 2005, 20:34
Nice photo of Orsova, shame she has the P & O white overside, have a look in this site for more info Douglas. Ken. http://www.pnc.com.au/~byceme/home/home.htm

Lindsay Bremner
21st March 2006, 19:48
My dad worked on the Orsova, he said it was the best ship he ever served on. Many years after he died my uncle told me a story about when the old boy was in Sydney, He and a few other crew members went ashore for a few beers, some hours later and much the worse for ware he decided to head back to the ship. On the way back he decided to pop into a harbour shed and have a rest, he promptly fell asleep, many hours later he woke up and headed back to the ship, on arrival at the quayside he discovered the ship wasn't there, to his horror he found the ship had sailed to Auckland without him. Around the area where the ship was berthed a lot of police activity was going on and being a nosey Glaswegian with nothing better to he decided to ask a member of Sydney’s finest what was going on, the police officer informed him that a crew member from the Orsova left a local pub late the previous night to head back to the ship and wasn't seen again, my dad was so horrified by this knowing the chances were good that he would know the unfortunate sailor. He asked the policeman the name of the crewmember, the cop replied Bill Bremner. The search was called off immediately and the old boy was taken to the station and allowed to phone the office. He was then flown to Auckland where he met the ship. His punishment was confined to ship for the rest of the voyage and weeks wages. I was informed by my uncle the punishment he received from my mother was harsher.

Tony Selman
23rd March 2006, 17:13
Has the original photo of Orsova been removed now because I can't see it. I'm guessing it may be from the cable car that went up some mini mountain or other and gave you the opportunity of looking down on the ship. I have a very good one of Oronsay when I was on her in 70/71 which I can post. In P&O white though - regrettablyfor the Orient Line loyalists!

sombrero
25th July 2006, 20:04
Has the original photo of Orsova been removed now because I can't see it. I'm guessing it may be from the cable car that went up some mini mountain or other and gave you the opportunity of looking down on the ship. I have a very good one of Oronsay when I was on her in 70/71 which I can post. In P&O white though - regrettablyfor the Orient Line loyalists!
I was abooard Orsova in 70/71 and if I remember rightly, the cable car used to drop hundreds of frangipani petals as the ship sailed under.Anyone remember?

larrygibbons
4th November 2010, 08:38
I remember the petals a fantastic sight, I think it was Barbados.

malcolm doherty
15th January 2011, 17:30
s.s. Orsova in port at Pago Pago during her extended Pacific cruise season in 1972

was on her during that trip, joined her in sydney, did two trips after that, happy days gone.

malcolm doherty
15th January 2011, 17:36
does anyone remember robbie bird (deck) he was on the orsova with me

malcolm

R790628
3rd July 2011, 13:04
I remember the petals a fantastic sight, I think it was Barbados.

Hi Larry.

No it was Pago Pago

Martyboy2
25th October 2011, 16:45
Served on the Orsova in 1968. Was a deck boy and got my steering ticket on her. Have got many happy memories on her

Tom(Tucker)Kirby
25th October 2011, 17:44
Orsova was the ship that took me to Australia from NZ in 1969. Wonderful !
What happened to her and the Oronsay, broken up I suppose.
Regards

Yes broken up, Kaosiung if my memory is correct, I saw photograph's of her in a sad state of half destruction, like seeing an old friend dying.

woodmass76
8th November 2012, 05:22
Served on the Orsova in 1968. Was a deck boy and got my steering ticket on her. Have got many happy memories on her

was just wondering if you knew my dad Emrys Woodmass, im sure he was on the Orsova around this time

if you did i would love to know more

Rogermullan
20th July 2013, 15:54
Hi anyone heard of a Thomas (mcgregor) last name unknown. We think his role was an engineer. He sailed from Sydney to London in 1966 on the Orsova as crew. Be most grateful for any info. Thanks roger

septiclecky
24th July 2013, 13:18

Am I missing something?

Where's the picture?

Andy67
18th February 2014, 16:34
I worked on the Orsova fom 1966 till 1968 Great times.

allenbeardwell
18th April 2014, 21:04
Hi Andy, was on Orsova from1962 to 67 was bosuns Mate at that time ,What dept were you in, Tom Crean was the Bosun when i left regards Curly Beardwell

Andy67
23rd April 2014, 11:09
Hi Andy, was on Orsova from1962 to 67 was bosuns Mate at that time ,What dept were you in, Tom Crean was the Bosun when i left regards Curly Beardwell

Hi Curly,
i was a fireman when i was onboard the Orsova, from 66 to68. I had great times when i sailed on her, and some great nights in the pig when we were at sea, happy days.
Andy

Andy67
26th April 2014, 14:23

Do you remember the night the last suviving Andrews sister came and played in the pig . I will never forget that night as long as i live. What a night.
Andy

allenbeardwell
26th April 2014, 21:45
H Andy, cant recall that night mind you it was a long time ago, you said that you worked down below, do you remember Eng- boilermaker by the name of Mick Wellings he was a great friend of mine, married a aussie girl and moved out to Adelaide in the late sixties Regards curly.B.

ferrandou
26th April 2014, 22:10

Tom Crean was bosun's mate when I was on Orsova, I think late '61 or early 62. The bosun was a Scot and I sailed with him 1960 when he was bosun on Orcades.

allenbeardwell
26th April 2014, 22:21
hI Ferrandou, you are right the Bosuns name was Graham white was also with him, also was on Orcades from 1960 -- to 62 was deckman at the time Curly B.

John Callon
27th April 2014, 00:45
Would it be possible if somebody could post the picture of Orsova in Pago Pago because going back to post #1 there is no picture on my laptop.
Regards
John

ferrandou
27th April 2014, 07:58
hI Ferrandou, you are right the Bosuns name was Graham white was also with him, also was on Orcades from 1960 -- to 62 was deckman at the time Curly B.

That's the man, I was sos on Orcades and he gave me job of asst. sailmaker. Great number. On Orsova I was in the "heavy gang" and in anchorage only ports I was cox. on motor launch (posh name for covered lifeboat) .

Andy67
28th April 2014, 11:34
H Andy, cant recall that night mind you it was a long time ago, you said that you worked down below, do you remember Eng- boilermaker by the name of Mick Wellings he was a great friend of mine, married a aussie girl and moved out to Adelaide in the late sixties Regards curly.B.

Hi Curly,i remember Mick Wellings well he was a good lad, i remember being in the Golden Dragon bar nightclub in Suva with him one time, and in Montys another time.
Andy67

john lintern
1st May 2014, 16:47
was on the orsova and orcades in 62,as commie waiter on captains table,spilt soup in dame sybil thorndykes,actress/ lap head waiter banned me from restaurant for remainder of trip should never have gone ashore in kingston jamaica,the rest as they say is history,went into the galley and eventually became a chef,couple of ex crew mates jeff hand ,euan heng who is now an artist,/professor in australia

Andy67
2nd May 2014, 17:08
Hi John,your story about Sybil was so so funny.

Andy67.

allenbeardwell
3rd May 2014, 15:37
Hi Andy67, thanks for your reply,thought you might have known mick, do you remember the donkeyman around about that time and he tried to commit suicide, i carried him down to the sick bay over me shoulder from the focastle to the after end, dont know what happend to him afterwards, but they patched him up ok ,also did you know joe shepperd and his mate little danny they was down below in them days regards curly B

Andy67
5th May 2014, 22:00
Hi Andy67, thanks for your reply,thought you might have known mick, do you remember the donkeyman around about that time and he tried to commit suicide, i carried him down to the sick bay over me shoulder from the focastle to the after end, dont know what happend to him afterwards, but they patched him up ok ,also did you know joe shepperd and his mate little danny they was down below in them days regards curly B

Hi Allen, i remember Joe Shepperd well, he was a guy you could never forget. i am not sure about Danny, but i remember the donkeyman his name was Keith and when he tried to top himself ,he went to my cabin and lay on the bottom bunk , there was blood every where. He was getting persecuted by a big yorkie greaser.I shared a cabin with big Charlie Shortridge he was a true gent,happy days.
Andy

allenbeardwell
6th May 2014, 22:15
Hi Ferrandoh,Thanks for your post, what dates were you on Orcades and also the orsova,may have a couple of pics when i was on them,looking through the archives when found will send them over to you Regards Curly B.

allenbeardwell
6th May 2014, 22:26
Hi Andy67, got your post ok do you remember a chap by the name of Gerard o-shea got married to a aussie lass and a few of us went to his wedding in Sydney in oct 66 have a pic of the wedding and i think their was a andy in the pic was it possible it was you also in the pic was a leccys mate, let me know and i will send you a copy over regards Curly B.

Andy67
7th May 2014, 16:26
Hi Andy67, got your post ok do you remember a chap by the name of Gerard o-shea got married to a aussie lass and a few of us went to his wedding in Sydney in oct 66 have a pic of the wedding and i think their was a andy in the pic was it possible it was you also in the pic was a leccys mate, let me know and i will send you a copy over regards Curly B.

I remember the lad but i was not at his wedding , you can send me the picture if you like. Do you remember Bob Wilson who was on the ships committee he was some guy on party nights.
Andy67

allenbeardwell
13th May 2014, 21:19
Hi Andy67 sent you the pic as discussed wondered if you got it ok, if you did do you reconise any of the poeple on it regards Curly B

Andy67
14th May 2014, 13:09
Hi Andy67 sent you the pic as discussed wondered if you got it ok, if you did do you reconise any of the poeple on it regards Curly B

Hi Curly B, so far no pic, i hope life in spain is treating you well.
Andy67