Fort Grange

Fairfield
11th December 2004, 22:25
Now of course renamed FORT ROSALIE;a couple of shots of her launch at Scotts' Greenock yard in 1976.

japottinger
25th February 2005, 01:16
Pleased to see you have the ' after the Scotts, as Scotts', not Scott's !

Fairfield
25th February 2005, 08:54
Of course-a good one for the Mess Room the use of the apostrophe or misuse;
Car's for sale
Please leave your tray's here etc.

Art
6th June 2008, 16:17
Art here, was on board this vessel when it was the Fort Grange, didn't know they had changed her name, would love to go on board her again for old times sake. Why did they change the name? Cheers.

Pat Kennedy
6th June 2008, 19:07
Fort Rosalie is currently in no 7 dock at North West shiprepairers, (Cammell Laird's) undergoing what appears to be a major refit. Fort George is in No 5 dock, again undergoing refit.
Its nice to see RFA in Birkenhead again, they used to be our bread and butter ships when I worked there.
They used to take the whole engine room to pices and send the bits round to the engine shop for refurbishment, same with the electric motors, and there seemed to be hundreds of them.
Pat

shipmate17
6th June 2008, 20:47
Hi,
I put some photos of her as Fort Rosalie in the Gallery.

Lancastrian
6th June 2008, 21:51
Art here, was on board this vessel when it was the Fort Grange, didn't know they had changed her name, would love to go on board her again for old times sake. Why did they change the name? Cheers.

The name change has been discussed ad nauseam. Try here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=13545&highlight=Fort+Rosalie
and here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14914

mate
2nd May 2009, 01:46
hi all

I am not a sailor

if only

but I do have avery important question

does anyone know what old ships like the Fort grange where painted on the inside with?

being honest

my husband has inhaled the internal paint fumes and paint dusts whilst she was in dry dock for re-fit

9 months ago at Cammell lairds

he is now very ill

Dr's need to know what was in the paint

any answers much appreciated

mate

mate
2nd May 2009, 01:57
hi

any one know what she was painted with?

bright yellow colour

mate

willhastie
2nd May 2009, 03:39
gday find out what products your husband was using ie manufacturers name then the name of the product with that info you can find on the internet that products material safety data sheet,its easy i use it in my position every week ,good luck

Lancastrian
2nd May 2009, 08:38
For Mate. Depends whether he was applying new paint or removing old paint. The ship was built by Scotts of Greenock in 1975-77. Since then internal paint would mostly be from Ministry of Defence (Navy) stocks. They (and Cammell Lairds) might be your best source of information.
Since this has been moved to another thread, your original post seems to have gone missing. (Moderators please recover). Just seen your mention of bright yellow colour.
This might be Yellow Chromate which was usually used as a primer for aluminium surfaces.
Yellow Chromate Safety Data - http://www.tricomcoatings.com/MSDS/Files/111313.pdf

malathemotorman
2nd May 2009, 12:36
I stood by that refit and we were all warned about the dangers of Chromate
Not bad when chipping but grinding and the inhalation of the dust was very bad.
The ship was definitely primed with chromate paint

mate
2nd May 2009, 12:54
thankyou for all of your replies

very helpful

he was involved with the Old paint

his lungs have been damaged with the Chromium aspect of the paint

but he now has other serious symptoms .......that are pointing towards Lead Poisoning as well as the Chromium VI poisoning from the Chromate Paint

He inhaled the paint dust....fumes and gasses...

was it Lead Chromate paint? which is also yellow....and which was widely used in the 70's ship building industry, when Fort Grange was built, as it was brilliant at stopping rust......

any help very much appreciated

mate

mate
9th May 2009, 22:46
just a quick question

but was the primer paint used underneath the zinc chromate top coat

lead oxide?

thanks to all who have helped on PM

your PM box though is full and is stopping me from mailing my thanks(==D)

thanks a million

I feel as if we might at last being getting close to what has happened

I just hope it isn't too late for edd

mate

mate
10th May 2009, 20:13
hi all

thought that I would keep you all updated.as you have been so helpful

todays scottish newspaper
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article2262426.ece#comment-rig

so the top paint coating has been found zinc chromate

as the drs have said re: the damage to edd's airways

but we still need to know the primer paint was....when she was being built the steel would have been dipped in primer as she was being fabricated...then when assembled she would have had 2 more coats of primer put on before she was finally painted with Zinc Chromate

it's what was in the primer that we are looking for

was it Lead oxide?

mate

Lancastrian
10th May 2009, 22:12
Zinc Chromate is a primer, not a top coat. Lead was common in most paints up to the 1970s , and Red Lead Oxide widely used in ships. However if lead is thought to be the problem it is very easy for doctors to test blood levels and treat accordingly.
Are you telling us the full story?

gil mayes
10th May 2009, 22:44
Lancastrian, you are correct. I am not quite sure where this thread is going?
Gil.

mate
14th May 2009, 01:13
Zinc Chromate is a primer, not a top coat. Lead was common in most paints up to the 1970s , and Red Lead Oxide widely used in ships. However if lead is thought to be the problem it is very easy for doctors to test blood levels and treat accordingly.
Are you telling us the full story?

hi lancastrian

good name BTW being a Lancastrian myself

not sure what you mean by " full story"

all that I know is that edd my husband was super fit and well this time last year when he went to work on the Fort Rosalie

he was given the wrong welding mask by the company that he worked for

and so he has inhaled gasses /fumes from all sorts of things he shouldn't ..the metals of the ship as well as the paint ..sadly for him he was given the job of doing some extremely dangerous "hot " welding work...that could only be done when the ship was emptied of people for 14 hours....so toxic was the work....mainly the toxins would arise from the paint bubbling on the deck below ......and the gasses and fumes that that work would have caused....yet the stairwells where never blocked off...so edd working on his hands and knees by the sides of the open stairwells inhaled all of the gasses and fumes rising from below

added to that.....he was asked to work at night time...date 22nd July that is cataloged as whn he sufferred a terrible dust injury..when the paint was being ground off for the welders to work on.....he found himself covered in paint dust..because the man from another company was grinding the paint off without an extraction unit....so the paint dust fell on top him........

he is now suffering not only from the airway damage caused by the zinc chromate......but from some other substance that is now afecting his central nervous system

Lead leaves the blood within 1 month of contamination..the soft tissues within 3 months

we are 10 months in

and something has damaged him

my apologies to fairfield..I never meant to hi-jack your post

my husband is very ill.....and I am just trying to find out what damaged him....so that maybe.....drs can make him better

I have no other ulterier motive

any help much apprecitated

mate

Lancastrian
14th May 2009, 10:47
OK mate, I accept you are genuinely seeking information. What led me to think perhaps otherwise was your link to the newspaper report.
Whilst I'm sure that SN members sympathise with your plight, I doubt there is much hope of getting the answers from this forum, as our knowledge of the ship, if any, is from old memories.
His employers, the shipyard and the Ministry of Defence might be better sources.

mate
14th May 2009, 16:10
OK mate, I accept you are genuinely seeking information. What led me to think perhaps otherwise was your link to the newspaper report.
Whilst I'm sure that SN members sympathise with your plight, I doubt there is much hope of getting the answers from this forum, as our knowledge of the ship, if any, is from old memories.
His employers, the shipyard and the Ministry of Defence might be better sources.

thanks lancastrian

I am on with the MOD now

his employers..and the ship yard...don't have the relevant information

posting on here was a long shot

sometimes long shots pay off

I have just managed to track down someone who might be able to help

thanks for all of the replies

mate