Can you identify this ship???

mrskpickles
24th February 2007, 18:55
Hi Everybody, this is my first post, so Hi.

Below is a ship, this photo was in my Nan's album and she said my it was my grandads ship, he served in the royal navy. I though he was merchant but posted some pics of him in a merchant forum and they say he must be royal navy??? Have also posted a pic of him too he is the one with the bride!!

Any help would be grateful accepted. I am thinking it;s a scottish ship????

Please help

Kirstie

treeve
24th February 2007, 19:01
Hello Kirstie, and welcome to SN.... this is a puzzle, doesn't look very much like a Royal navy ship.... I am positive someone here will be able to help you.
What sort of date would this be?
Best Wishes, Raymond

Peter4447
24th February 2007, 19:02
Hi Everybody, this is my first post, so Hi.

Below is a ship, this photo was in my Nan's album and she said my it was my grandads ship, he served in the royal navy. I though he was merchant but posted some pics of him in a merchant forum and they say he must be royal navy??? Have also posted a pic of him too he is the one with the bride!!

Any help would be grateful accepted. I am thinking it;s a scottish ship????

Please help

Kirstie

Welcome onboard Mrs Pickles

This ship is a Greek Liner called the ELLINIS. It was built in 1928 as the American Liner 'Lurline' and was purchased by the Chandris Line of Greece in 1963.
Perhaps they had a Honeymoon cruise but it was certainly nothing to do with the Royal Navy.
Kind regards
Peter4447(Thumb)

Hugh MacLean
24th February 2007, 19:05
Just to clarify, I advised Kirsty to post the photo here. It would appear that her relation was a Leading Stoker, RN, but the ship is clearly not RN.

Welcome aboard, Kirsty I am sure you will have your answer soon.

I see you have your answer...quick work Peter.

Regards (Thumb)

mrskpickles
24th February 2007, 19:07
My logic for this being nothing to do with the navy was that the paper it was printed on looked much newer than Grandad Naval pics!! Woman logic!!!

Thank you for the repy, is that not two scottish flags on it...guess what I thought the cranes were on the ship!!! they on the docks aren't they!!!

Thank you again.
Kirstie

Peter4447
24th February 2007, 19:11
It's me again!

Just looking at the happy couple. Grandad was certainly in the Royal Navy. He served as a Stoker (they worked in the engine room onboard ships), and the badge on his right arm (as you look at the photo) shows this as the badge is a ships' propellor. The badges on his left arm shows that he was what was known as a Leading Mechanical Engineer (a Leading Hand) because of the anchor, so that he had been promoted from a Stoker and if he gained any futher promotion he would then have become a Petty Officer. Beneath the anchor is a single gold stripe which shows that he had between 4 and 7 years service in the Royal Navy, counting from when he was 18 years of age.
I would be most interested to know when the wedding took place as from the uniform I think this could have been in the 1950's or even the early 1960's.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Peter4447(Thumb)

Would be interested to see any photos of the ships he served in.

mrskpickles
24th February 2007, 19:20
I have no clues as to what ships he was on, if only I could find out! I have no family to ask unfortunately. I do have some other pics of him with ships mates etc, if you would like me to post them. My grandad was married in 1945Thakn you I was so excited to read your post, it is so nice to know about these things.

Kirstie

Peter4447
24th February 2007, 19:32
All members of the site are only too pleased to be of assistance when we can Kirstie.
I don't know whether you have access to any of your Grandad's personal effects but if you ever come across a dark blue envelope, approx 8" x 3" this should contain his Service Record that would list all his service and ships. If not you may find a piece of white paper folded to the same dimensions made of what feels like a thin canvas. This is the actual service record itself that would have been in the envelope which is often missing.
It would be very difficult to identify his ships from just group photogaphs unless they were taken onboard and show at least some details of the ship itself. Should you have any that fit the bill in this way, I am sure those of us who served in the Royal Navy will definately give it a go and see what we come up with for you.
Given the wedding was in 1945 and Grandad's length of service he must have spent some years at sea during the Second World War.
Regards
Peter4447

mrskpickles
24th February 2007, 19:39
Hi there,

I wil do some digging, i have no access to my grandads personal effects, I am having a huge go at genealogy at the mo, and am building a good collection of family history type, stuff. i do have sort of contact with an aunt, and she seems to have lots of nan and grandads stuff, so i will try to contact her. The pics do not show ships details but if it would be ok can I post them and perhaps someone could tell me what the pthers in the pictures did?? One day i reckon I wil stumble over someone who actually knows these people and they will be able to tell me lots of things!?!? (and then I wake up!!) So would grandad have got any medals?

Kirstie

Peter4447
24th February 2007, 19:46
Hi there,

I wil do some digging, i have no access to my grandads personal effects, I am having a huge go at genealogy at the mo, and am building a good collection of family history type, stuff. i do have sort of contact with an aunt, and she seems to have lots of nan and grandads stuff, so i will try to contact her. The pics do not show ships details but if it would be ok can I post them and perhaps someone could tell me what the pthers in the pictures did?? One day i reckon I wil stumble over someone who actually knows these people and they will be able to tell me lots of things!?!? (and then I wake up!!) So would grandad have got any medals?

Kirstie

Obviously I cannot speak for the site moderators but I feel quite sure they will not object your posting the pictures (they are a wonderful group of gentlemen).
Yes your Grandad would certainly have received medals, I think there is at least one ribbon on his uniform. Normally they would have been worn at the wedding but as this was 1945, perhaps, he was still waiting for those he was awarded to be issued to him. The medals given in the Second World War consisted mainly of Stars and were given to show what theatre of war a person had served in. Again details would be contained in his service record.
Peter4447(Thumb)

eric54
25th February 2007, 18:14
Did your folks emigrate to Australia ? At one time this ship took emigrants to Australia on Assisted Passage at 10.00 each

duquesa
25th February 2007, 18:21
Kirstie, They are not Scottish flags on the funnels I'm afraid. They represent the Chandris Company Houseflag.

jbryce
27th February 2007, 20:05
It is possible to obtain the service particulars for your grandfather by contacting this address (include his official service number where possible):

Data Protection Cell (Navy)
Victory View
Building 1/152
HM Naval Base
Portsmouth
PO1 3PX

See this link for full details, assume he served after 1938:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp

wa002f0328
27th February 2007, 20:17
Welcome aboard Mrs Pickles, enjoy your voyage, these lads will sort it out for you, good sailing, allthe best from Tyneside.(Thumb)

rickles23
28th June 2007, 06:31
The wedding photo looks as if it has been hand coloured so it should be late 1940s to middle 1950s.

Regards
28 06 07

billyboy
28th June 2007, 07:45
welcome aboard Kirsty. you are in good company here. there is a wealth of knowlege on this site and many very helpful members. some you have met already. enjoy your voyage with us.

Bernard McIver
28th June 2007, 09:24
If the wedding photograph is 1945 and there is only one medal ribbon on both uniforms then it could be the 1939-43 star which later became the 1939-45 star. I received my ribbon in Calcutta in 1944. Other medals were issued much later after the war.
Bernard

vickentallen
20th December 2007, 21:14
Think he would be acting Killick as only 1 star on stokers badge, confirmed Killick (Leading Hand) would have had to do leading hands course therefore
stars top and bottom of propeller.
Vic.