British Success

Gordon L Smeaton
2nd March 2007, 13:59
Anybody out there with a photograph of the British Success, will complete my collection of the ships sailed on.
Thanks
Gordon Smeaton

ruud
2nd March 2007, 14:46
Ahoy Gordon,
The 1946 SUCCESS? or the more recent?Haven't a clue when the 1946 was sold/scrapped,so probably you're looking for the other one,as you started in 1966?Will post both!?
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4299/britishsuccesscn4.th.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?image=britishsuccesscn4.jpg)

Gordon L Smeaton
2nd March 2007, 16:18
Ruud

Many thanks for the photo, yes it was the last one sailed on her 99 through 2000.

Many thanks

Gordon

Anderskane
2nd March 2007, 17:58
Thanjks also for the photos ruud, I know your busy, so I've some details for Gordon. She's another one from Harlands yard, Belfast, built4/84 O.No.1719
I remember watching her and others, including bulkers in Belfast Lough.
Regards Ken.

ruud
2nd March 2007, 18:25
Ahoy.
Yep as always busy Ken,hardly time enough (Thumb);she's still trading as ST. ANDREWS Norway registered[Oslo],also her sister the BRITISH SPIRIT[1983] still trading as OCEAN POWER,and Singapore registered.

Tmac1720
3rd March 2007, 11:16
Some more details on British Success and her sister British Skill:
British Skill yard number 1718 launched (floated out) 3rd July 1982 delivered 26th April 1983 ....British Success yard number 1719 launched (floated out) 28th March 1983 delivered 14th February 1984 both built at Harland and Wolff yard Belfast with a deadweight of 109000 tonnes however each was registered as 66034 gross tonnes as measured under the ICTM* rules 1969. Two further sisters were built by Swan Hunter on the Tyne.
* International Convention for Tonnage Measurement.

oilybob
10th August 2007, 12:29
I sailed on 3 out of the 4 s class vessels, the fourth one spent most of its operational life with the australians as the australilan (un) acheiver. These 's' class where always hard working vessels and towards the end of there time with the company it was a case of seeing what had dropped off the previous night. The main problem being that as they where some of the last vessels built in the UK getting spares for quite a lot of the equipment was getting hard, they had also had a quite messed up life early on with the engine being tuned for high fuel efficency, unfortunaly this also meant poor reliabilty.
I sailed on the British Spirit twice, the British Skill once and the last one was the British Success paying off approximatly 5 weeks before she was sold, at that stage we where just doing 'one last cargo' a few times!.
However they where very good ships for learning and the young ones you see as cadets now cant wont belive you when you tell them a few things about them.
One abiding memory was in the drydocking of the spirit mining up half of the control room concrete deck and a few of us laying into it with large hammers to ensure that all the 'thin' bits of steel where found, If i recall about 12 doubler plates where welded in before re concreting.
Another thing that happened a couple of times was the sewage system backing up and taking the easy way out, this being the control room toilet, not plesent to find, at least one of the ships had a valve to shut the toilet off from the system for that very reason.
I lost count of the amont of times when the boiler flame in which ever boiler went out and you did not have long to play with before the steam pressure would start to fall, then it was a case of starting the emergency diesel 900kw if i recall and hoping and praying that it would go, if not you had to hot foot it up the stairs to perswade it to start locally and then syncronise, if you where to late then darkness would prevail.
Can anyone else recall the scurge of bulwer island refinary in brisbane, the jellyfish!! If you go there at the wrong time of year you have a large headache as you know you shall spend the majority of the time changing out s.w strainers and cleaning coolers, i wonder if it has always been like that. If jellyfish are spotted on arrival then there is a rapid re-writing of the 'Jobs to be done' list as you know that the majority of them you just wont have the time to do as you shall be speding all your time filling oil drums with jellyfish.

Oilybob

Tony Sprigings
28th August 2007, 08:54
British Success 1946 vintage was sold for scrap on 23rd. June 1961 (in case Ruud would like to update his records)

Roy Grant
14th October 2007, 18:22
Gordon,

have logged onto this site for the 1st time and found your request. I can't help you with picture but would like to chat about other things. I can't remeber where we sailed together, maybe you can - please get in tough.

I am retired now and enjoying a nice period of liesure - I wish I had a far easier time on the Iolair.

All the best Roy Grant. (South Shields)