Coppack Bros, Connahs Quay

Hague
5th March 2007, 21:41
Are there any out there that sailed with Coppack Bros of Connahs Quay. U'stand they owned several 3/400 tonners trading Irish Sea.
Story goes that one Manchester Liner officer up for Second Mates at Byrom Street in the sixties sailed with them to earn a little money. On the Belfast Arklow leg was amazed to find the 'old man' (really old, apparently having sailed in Schooners) arrive on bridge ordering him to 'take her to port you're too close in'
On inquiring how he knew they were so close in and, eagerly expecting to learn some 'nautical pearl of wisdom' known only to those of great seniority was promptly told ' I heard a dog bark'.

Brgds
Hague

Tony Breach
6th March 2007, 10:54
The book Cambrian Coasters by Roy Fenton has a brief history & fleets lists of the Coppack companies: a very good read.

Tony

GALTRA
6th March 2007, 12:14
Get your hands on "A LIFETIME WITH SHIPS" by Tom Coppack, F.I.C.S; Printed by T.Stephenson & Sons Ltd; Prescot, Lancs. 1973. Charley.

Hague
11th March 2007, 21:32
Get your hands on "A LIFETIME WITH SHIPS" by Tom Coppack, F.I.C.S; Printed by T.Stephenson & Sons Ltd; Prescot, Lancs. 1973. Charley.
Thanks for that Galtra,
The book referred to I have glanced through some years ago as I am not a coasting man. A good read I might suggest is "Arklow the Last Stronghold of Sail" but I have a feeling you may have a copy.
Brgds
Hague

GALTRA
11th March 2007, 22:57
Yes got that as well, Hague, all good reading, Charley

Ken Davies
12th November 2008, 19:01
Hi Hague,
I was on Coppack's Normanby Hall twice during the the fifties and sixties. Some real old sailormen in them. The skipper you mention sounds like Arthur Bennett. Interesting experience. If you want to chat make contact by PM.

Ken Davies

oceangoer
12th November 2008, 20:56
Hi Hague,
I was on Coppack's Normanby Hall twice during the the fifties and sixties. Some real old sailormen in them. The skipper you mention sounds like Arthur Bennett. Interesting experience.

I used to live just down the road from Connah's Quay and got a reference from old man Coppack in 1958 which helped get me a Middies berth in Blue Funnel.