Ben Line...hello!

Taleso
5th March 2007, 22:17
Hi there lads,

We seem to be dying out here, the wee anchor has gone grey through lack of use.... John Fraser?....could this be the one and only 'Jock the Box' from Ardnamurchen?

Taleso (==D)

NZSCOTTY
6th March 2007, 07:12
More likely going rusty.

I was "lucky enough" to be a cadet on Benledi when she picked up at Greenock in 1965. Home port for me, first and last time I joined a ship at home port!!

Was asking when I joined up for any photo's of my old ship but seems to be lacking.

Belive it or not I once saw a model (to make up) of her in a shop in Sydney. It was either buy it or go on the booze. Guess what unfortunately I have not got the model.

Taleso
6th March 2007, 09:17
Hi Scotty,

Here is the model you sadly missed, courtesy Chris Cladingbole.....now no more regrets about the amber nectars. You can go to 'Benledi model' on the internet for the full monte.

Best regards (Thumb) ,
Taleso

hasse neren
6th March 2007, 16:56
Hi Scotty!
Im currently building the 1/ 480 scale Revell plastic model of your the Benledi.
And try to super detail it, as you can find on my earlier posting on this forum.
I going to send photos to the forum later of the progress on this ship model, but had to stop for a while with the Benledi model. Im currently building a model on order, that must be finished to the beginning of mars.
If anyone in the forum trying to attempt to build the Benledi model, i be glad to help whit the in formations and tips that i know about this model.

Taleso
6th March 2007, 20:26
Hi Hasse,

Just go on the internet under 'Ravell Benledi model' and the complete specification is there, colours, scale, model the lot!

Good luck and great model building,
Taleso

Taleso
6th March 2007, 20:36
Hi Allan & Doreen,

It's Gordon here of the skiffle group guitar player who should have been concentrating more on his steam endorsement.

We are still in contact with Ronnie and Sandra...not long ago been at their daughters' Mellisa wedding so no longer can ask him for a sub...

How are you both diddling?

Gordon & Marda

NZSCOTTY
7th March 2007, 06:56
Thanks for bringing back the memory of my model lost in the Sydney streets. Yes that was the one. Bloody hell wish I had bought it instead of the drinks!!

Once again I ask if anybody has photos of her during her first few years in service. I worked my #### off on that ship and would love to see some photo's of her in service.

There was a lift from the galley to the officers lounge via the working mess. When they had the big welcome party in Singapore (which cadets did not get to) all the booze was sent up in the small lift. We stopped it at the mess and took out our share!! So we did have a party!

bulwark
7th March 2007, 22:55
Hi Scotty

I've a photo of the Benledi dating from '68 in my gallery.

Cheers

Murdo

john fraser
15th March 2007, 21:41
Hi there lads,

We seem to be dying out here, the wee anchor has gone grey through lack of use.... John Fraser?....could this be the one and only 'Jock the Box' from Ardnamurchen?

Taleso (==D)
Hi Taleso.
No not Jock the Box from Ardnamurachen,? I was Chief Steward on all the box boats plus the Gloe before that.I found out there is life after Ben Line ,a better life.Seems to be a scarcity of Ben Line bodies on any of the web sites,they must be around somewhere.

Joe Freeman
17th March 2007, 01:33
Hi there lads,

Taleso (==D)

Hi Taleso,
I think you are correct there are not to many replies to the various threads from Ben Line folk. It has been over forty years since I sailed with Ben Line and I may still have a few stories to tell.
Did anyone out there sail in the Benvorlich on a coasting trip January to February 1967 when there was a fire in No5 hold while waiting to go along side in Dundee.
Joe.

NZSCOTTY
20th March 2007, 08:23
No not me on that one but one little story I remember is going through the Suez cannal with me up painting the fore mast on a bosun chair and looking down at the real bosun who was a hard man from the islands covered in hair walking down the deck in shorts and work boots fully tanned with 4 chickens following him! He had got them from Jock MacGreggor at Port Said.

Never saw them again but the chinese painters seemed happy that night.

timo
20th March 2007, 09:13
ben-line.org.uk for the ex ben line guys, I don't think the site has been updated for a while but still worth a look if you spent any time with B/L

peteratow
21st March 2007, 22:27
No not me on that one but one little story I remember is going through the Suez cannal with me up painting the fore mast on a bosun chair and looking down at the real bosun who was a hard man from the islands covered in hair walking down the deck in shorts and work boots fully tanned with 4 chickens following him! He had got them from Jock MacGreggor at Port Said.

Never saw them again but the chinese painters seemed happy that night.
Could that bosun have been Sandy Lamont from Shetland. He was with Ben Line for a long time before coming ashore and working for the local harbour authority. He had a bit of a reputation as a hard man. Him and a workmate were walking along the quay at Lerwick as a Scotch fishing boat was coming alongside and they heard one of the crew shouting to his mate, "see the big fellow there, thats the one I told you about, thats the fierce Sandy Lamont!"

jtss
22nd March 2007, 20:25
Sandy Lamont. There's a name to conjure with. He was Bosun on the 'Attow in 74/75. I found him in a bar in Ilo Ilo and accompanied/helped him back to the ship. I totally forgot, for several hours, a package I'd found on the table in front of him, his teeth. He'd not remembered my assistance but, once I returned his teeth, I was a friend and very well looked after. A true gentleman.

NZSCOTTY
27th March 2007, 05:34
Can't remember if it was Sandy but he was as round as he was tall and mainly mussle. Can't imagine him leaving Ben line but he was definately from the Islands. It was Bencleuch 1964/5

ian d.cameron
27th March 2007, 15:51
I sailed with Sandy Lamont on the Benvalla 1971/72. he made his crew deck knives and the one I got served me for a long time.
there was a story about Sandy when two sister ships where at the buoys in Hong Kong Sandy swam out to one of them, realized he was on the wrong one so finished his drink dived over the side and swam to the other one.
He was a gentleman and the best bosun I sailed with and I sailed with some really good ones.
ps. Sandy had a pet budgie.(the fiercest budgie in Shetland).

rdhb
22nd May 2007, 19:39
I sailed on the Benvalla 1971/72 and Sandy Lamont was the bosun then. The skipper was Bobby Bruce and the C/O was Mack The Knife [Ian Mackay]who was killed a few years later on one of the Grey boats

Joe Freeman
23rd May 2007, 01:46
Hi all you Ben Line folk, I was an engineer on Benvalla from September 1965 to December 1966. I have just posted some pictures in the gallery, of the ship and some of the crew. I had immediate replies and especially one from Wullie McFarquhar who was enquiring about the Bosun on the Valla when I was there. His mame was Wully McGregor and he was quite the character to say the least, and to many stories to mention here.
He once showed me how to put an eye splice in a steel cable, not a job that I would try again unless it was in a three strand hemp rope.
The Chippy on the Valla at that time made me a knife that I still have to this day. I use occasionally when I have the opportunity to address and stab the Haggis during Rabbie Burns dinners.
I still have great memories of my time with Ben Line, unfortunately names escape me, but with the help of a photograph and and a response from old shipmates the names and faces come back immediately.
I hope to hear more great stories from the Ben Line Crew out there.
Joe Freeman

gordier51
15th January 2009, 10:33
Hi Taleso.
No not Jock the Box from Ardnamurachen,? I was Chief Steward on all the box boats plus the Gloe before that.I found out there is life after Ben Line ,a better life.Seems to be a scarcity of Ben Line bodies on any of the web sites,they must be around somewhere.

lots of ex benliners out there my names gordon roebuck sailed with john fraser on benlawers 1970-72

ian keyl
4th March 2009, 23:57
Hi RDBH,
You mentioned Ian Mackay in your message when you were on the Valla, I sailedwith Ian on the coast on the Ben Lediwhen he was Ch/off and his wife came down to Middlesbro from Inverrurie to be with us over Xmas in the Boro.
Ians wife Rory asked if we could have a xmas tree on board so i nipped up the road for one but too late all gone.
I got back on board and set to making one from 3x3 and car spanish windlass spars nailed on at 45 degrees and the leckie gave me cable and lightholders and coloured bulbs .
On xmas eve I climbed to the top of the main mast between nos3and 4hatches ,i then climbed up the topping mast and pulled up the home made tree with help of the leckie on the balel end of a winch and a gantling rope. We managed to pull it right up and I strapped it to the mast the leckie tried it and it looked great it was getting dark when I came down but we were the only ship in Teesside with a chrimbotree.
Ians wife and family thought it was great and we sailed to rotterdam then hull and London and I understand it stayed up there until the calmer waters of the Medi before it came down..
When I was ashore working for ACT I received the sad news that Ian had been lost overboard whils his ship was in Mobile (I think) Ian was master then and Rory his wife asked if i would be a pall bearer at his funeral , Not knowing they were flying his body home in a Yankee cofffin which weighed a ton. There was a big turn out for his funeral at Hazelhead crem. Ians ashes were spread from a light aircraft over Bennachie which he could see from his bedroom window.
Ian was a great person but fell off the gangway or quay misteriously. The port they were in was on the Missisipee and his body was found day or so later down river , I understand the shore laundry guy was returning laundry and gave the alarm, the mate or ch/off dived in to the river but could not find him. A tradgic end for such a great person and a wonderfull family.

Rgds Ian

Ian329
25th August 2011, 14:52
Attached a photo of the Bencairn in Panama Canal 1974

Ian329
25th August 2011, 14:53
Oops Sorry this was meant to be a new thread. Will have another go. Ian