Wireless Modem Routers

HENNEGANOL
8th March 2007, 14:10
To enable me to have a broadband connection, I have had to move my computer upstairs in order to plug directly into the BT Master socket in the loft. To avoid having to re-site the master socket, at a cost of £100.00 plus Iím wondering if a wireless router could be used? The distance involved is about 20 metres,

Are any of the computer Wizards on the site able to give me some advice or point me in the direction of a site where such advice is available.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Gerry.

Frank P
8th March 2007, 14:32
Gerry, you will not have a problem, most of the cheaper wireless router's work up to 35 metres.

Cheers Frank

John Rogers
8th March 2007, 14:43
I use one in the basement of my house and also use it on my laptop a good 40 feet away.
John.

Bruce Carson
8th March 2007, 14:49
For a few months I "stole" my neighbor's broadband (illegal, but with his permission) for my own use, using a router.
It was probably about 30 yards distance and went through the two brick walls of the houses. There were no problems.

Bruce C

moaf
8th March 2007, 15:05
Purely for experimental reasons I'm sure Bruce!

duquesa
8th March 2007, 15:51
I use a Belkin router and neither I nor my visitors have the slightest problem.
There are many others equally good on the market. You should not have a problem.

John Leary
8th March 2007, 16:37
Just a couple of things to add to the above. Firstly make sure that the wireless router you intend to purchase is supported by your Internet Service Provider. Unless it is on the approved list you may not be able to connect or if you have problems the ISP will not offer any assistance to resolve the problem. Secondly I use mine in a room that has aluminium foil on the cavity insulation and this does severly attenuate your signal. I resolved the problem by fitting gain antennas at each end of the wireless link.
Thirdly do some research before you buy on the support you will obtain from the router's manufacturer should you have a problem. My first
router never would connect to the internet and e-mails to the manufacturers support desk went unanswered. In the end I took it back to the supplier and obtained a refund. Buying an expensive router is no guarantee. The router I now use which works very well is made by Netgear.

steviej
8th March 2007, 19:12
Gerry.
You should have no problem. For about £60 or less you can be up and running. Ideal if you have a laptop. To stop neighbours borrowing your signal (leeching) you can password protect. If not you may find that your download allowance may be used up by neighbours. Also it will slow down the signal.

Hugh MacLean
8th March 2007, 20:42
I work for BT and rather than shift your master socket a simple extension cable (DIY) from local electrical retailer and a broadband filter would have avoided the 100 quid shift. I appreciate this may not be what you want either.

The wireless solution is a good idea and should work ok and I do agree with Steviej about leeching. It is amazing how many unsecured wireless connections there are out there. Please password protect your connection.

Regards (Thumb)

Split
10th March 2007, 14:43
To enable me to have a broadband connection, I have had to move my computer upstairs in order to plug directly into the BT Master socket in the loft. To avoid having to re-site the master socket, at a cost of £100.00 plus I’m wondering if a wireless router could be used? The distance involved is about 20 metres,

Are any of the computer Wizards on the site able to give me some advice or point me in the direction of a site where such advice is available.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Gerry.

There is a board on The Motley Fool, called "Help Me With This Blasted Computer!" TMF is a useful site in many ways, if you don't know it. Registration is free. I've been on it for years and they are as strict as this one with privacy, etc.

After registration, I would just copy your post straight from here onto their board, although there seems to be plenty of help here, too.

Split

HENNEGANOL
10th March 2007, 17:18
Split,

Thanks for your input, I have just visited that site and gained a lot of useful information.

Gerry

Dave Woods
10th March 2007, 19:59
Just to throw a spanner in the works. I live in a bungalow built in the mid 60's and I am unable to use a wireless connection. It works fine as long as the main computer and my laptop are in the same room, but as soon as I go through the door out of the room the signal degrades so much that the broadband is unusable. I have tried 3 different models and they are all the same. I have come to the conclusion that the house is built of breeze blocks which have a high metal content which soaks up the signal. I finished up hard wiring the system which is not too bad in a bungalow.

Lifeboat1721
16th March 2007, 20:21
If you are a keen radio Ham or a scanner user for Marine use make sure the Scanner does not pick up the signal or you will have lockups,

I have been scanning for several years and alot of my old Ham pals have gone of routers because of secondary tvi.

Regards Ian

Wee John
16th March 2007, 22:51
Thanks to SN I got myself a Belikin unit and it has been a piece ( of very easy) to fit To be honest I never thought SN would help me this way

Binnacle
20th March 2007, 11:38
Thanks to SN I got myself a Belikin unit and it has been a piece ( of very easy) to fit To be honest I never thought SN would help me this way

I too, after reading the posts here, decided to invest in a new router (Belkin wireless) jumped from 2.2 Mbps to 54. Thanks to all.
p.s. sometimes slows to 24.0 Mbps, why ? busy line ?

Dave Woods
20th March 2007, 11:43
The wireless solution is a good idea and should work ok and I do agree with Steviej about leeching. It is amazing how many unsecured wireless connections there are out there. Please password protect your connection.

Regards (Thumb)

I hope you both have read and understand the message from Hugh!

Best regards

Dave Woods

arthurryan
27th March 2007, 11:01
I have just had broadband fitted using a radio ling from a hill 4km away. I am very happy with it as my speed is now 1mb. as opposed to 37kbs on my telephone line.The signal comes in to the house via CAT5 cable to a power box and then connected by fly lead also Cat5 cable with RJ45 connectors, to my Desktop PC.I want to use my Laptop in a room at the other end of the house at minimum expense. I plan to do this by routing an extension cable through the loft to my Laptop work area, by removimg the fly lead from the box at my PC and inserting the extension lead. I know this will work but I would like to know if RJ6 cable with RJ45 connectors will do it for me as I can purchase a 30metre length locally already made up with connectors for £10.
I would appreciate some advice as to suitability.Thanks in advance, Arthur Ryan