small world

R.Philip Griffin
9th March 2007, 11:35
Whilst looking in a Furniture Gallery about 30kms south of Margaret River in the SW of Western Australia called Borannup Forest, I bumped into an OW and ex Shaw Savill apprentice named Adrian Dann. Being sensible and seeking life ashore, but still associated with the sea, he found a job as Thames Pilot, and then ended up in Felixstowe?spelling pilotage. Don't you just love these meetings with people who were in the same Company 55 years on?
This really isn't a thread as such, but I just wanted to let people know about a meeting on the other side of the planet. I live around Perth WA.

Derek Roger
9th March 2007, 17:19
A small world indeed but I would not want to have to paint it !!

Derek

gadgee
9th March 2007, 21:15
What is an OW please?

R.Philip Griffin
10th March 2007, 01:22
What is an OW please?

An "OW" is anyone who served on the Training Ship HMS "Worcester", now unfortunately defunct. Other Training Establishments were HMS "Conway" and Pangbourne and more recently Warsash School of Navigation.
After the Merchant Shipping Act was written in 1852, and the fact that the RN was moving over to Iron Clads, and had 60 odd "wooden walls" surplus to requirements, about 40 odd Nautical Training Establishments got under way, each using a wooden wall. HMS"Conway" in 1859; HMS"Worcester" in 1862; and that was the start of the friendly rivalry that existed and exists until the present time. However with no new members we are a dying breed. Not sure how navigators get their early training these days, perhaps someone could tell.

DURANGO
5th June 2007, 23:46
What is an OW please?
hello Gadgee as stated ow stands for old worcester boy i myself seved 5 months as a galley boy in her, all the other sea schools would not take me because i was to young , when i approached the worcester association and asked to join they would not accept me , i ended up as an ableseaman , they where quite surprised that i had a certificate that proved i had served in her never mind thats life be lucky mates when the lifeboats where swung out i was there as well

stan mayes
8th June 2007, 18:01
Hello Dave Durango OW,
You forgot to mention the thousands of potatoes you peeled in 5 months...
I remember you telling me you counted them all...Stan

DURANGO
9th June 2007, 22:52
Hello Dave Durango OW,
You forgot to mention the thousands of potatoes you peeled in 5 months...
I remember you telling me you counted them all...Stan
Hello Stan me old mate sorry i did not want to bore the lads with the exact amount of spuds i peeled in those 5 months by the way Stan you forget to mention that i have a great technique in cleaning porridge pots i hate to brag mate but i used to clean out 3 large pots every morning , beleive it or not cleaning up after 300 or more people after every meal it dont take long for the fun to go out of it be lucky mates .