South American Saint Line

markf
10th March 2007, 23:07
(MAD) because I'm getting nowhere

Hi guys
Searching for any pics of St Margaret or as she was launched Empire Cameron
1941 Wm Denny & Bros Dunbarton. sold to SASL 1946.

Somewhere I came across a thread about Liberty and Empire ships. Can't find it now. It was about the design of them. I think the design was one of Doxfords of Sunderland. Don't quote me lol

Best wishes

Mark F (Scribe)

R58484956
11th March 2007, 16:30
Greetings and welcome Mark to the site, thanks for signing on. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer. No doubt answers will be along shortly. Bon voyage.

Pat McCardle
11th March 2007, 17:56
Hi! Mark. I forget the architect / designer's name but he was from J.L.Thompson Shipyard, Sunderland

markf
11th March 2007, 21:21
Thanks guys
Good result (unexpected) for both England and Spurs. :sweat:

I believe you thoughI'm not particularly bothered about designer to be honest.... though it was something to do with Empire bread ships or something like that.
It was definitely Sunderland!!

Do any photos of South American Saint Line Ships exist, is my real point????

Best wishes

Mark

R58484956
12th March 2007, 11:17
A photo of St Elwyn appears on the MN site http://www.mowbars.plus.com

non descript
12th March 2007, 23:44
Mark

I see that Dave Edge has very kindlly posted an excellent image of St Margaret here:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=55175

Aristo
13th March 2007, 17:47
There some more photos here:

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ship%20Picture%20Gallery%20K-Z/S/index7.html

including the St.Essylt, St.Thomas, St.Helena

Blackbob
1st September 2007, 19:58
I sailed on a ship called the St Margaret in 1970, for Houlder Bros.
The ships original name was Joya Macance.
It was an ore carrier of about 16500 tons and was a graet and verry happy ship!! had a few dodgy moments in bad weather on the North atlantic going to seven Islands but on the whole the ten months I spent on it were some of
the happiest times I ever had at sea
regards
Blackbob

Chris Isaac
2nd September 2007, 09:38
A picture of my first ship St John appears here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/53270/cat/500/ppuser/7986

stein
2nd September 2007, 10:53
Don't know if it has the slightest interest, but here's a page of Dutch Empires: LINK (http://www.arendnet.com/empire.htm) Regards, Stein.

Keith Adams
3rd September 2007, 05:06
My brother was J.O.S. (Junior Ordinary Seaman) on the "Fort St. Regis" 1948 ... sailed from UK to East Coast South America. Snowy

Terry calpin
22nd February 2008, 22:20
I sailed on the St Margaret South American St Line, in 1955, and have a photo of her. I was JOS if I remember right.
Terry Calpin . York

limey
13th June 2008, 19:22
anyone any info on this vessal,just got 3ft model of her,in need of repair and need pic if possible.south american saint line.
thanks brian

Dave Edge
14th June 2008, 02:18
Brian,
As far as I know South American Saint Line didn't have a St Lucia, possibly Grace Line?

surfaceblow
14th June 2008, 03:44
The Grace Line ship was the Santa Lucia. I was an engine cadet on her in 1973.

limey
14th June 2008, 07:58
hiya dave & surfaceblow,you are both correct,i got excited with my new model,and gave the wrong name.sad.this model is in saint line colours,would it have been the same as grace line.got any pics?.
thanks for your help. brian

limey
17th June 2008, 15:29
help!!!,this model i have is in south american saint line colours,but they did not have a vessel of this name,have seen pic of grace line ship of this name and its not that ship.when sa saint line stopped trading houlder bros took over the trade,but apparently king & co took the ships until they were sold.
would anybody know the names of these ships,it gets very confusing,but am on a mission now.this model has port of registry as london.
regards brian

JohnMac068
17th June 2008, 16:50
help!!!,this model i have is in south american saint line colours,but they did not have a vessel of this name,have seen pic of grace line ship of this name and its not that ship.when sa saint line stopped trading houlder bros took over the trade,but apparently king & co took the ships until they were sold.
would anybody know the names of these ships,it gets very confusing,but am on a mission now.this model has port of registry as london.
regards brian

The Saintline vessels taken over by King Line were St.Essylt, St.Thomas, St.John, St.Rosario, and the two Liberty ships, St.Helens and St.Arvans, cannot remember if the St.Margaret was still around then. All these vessels were registered in South Wales, either Cardiff or Newport Mon. The one's that I sailed in were registered as follows Newport Mon - St. Helena, St.Arvans, St.Margaret, St.Merriel and St.John. The St.Essylt was registered in Cardiff. The Head Office was in Mount Stuart Square, Cardiff.

BA204259
17th June 2008, 17:13
JohnMac068

Don't think that the St Helena (ex Samloyal) ever went to King Line. I sailed on her from February to July '62 when she had already left South American Saint Line and was then owned by Nerdrum Shipping Ltd of London. She was still registered in Newport, Mon. As far as I know Nerdrum was a small one ship company, but doubtless had interests elsewhere. After I paid off in Liverpool she was taken to Tamise, Belgium and broken up. You may, of course be talking about a different St Helena but the only one I know of is the mail ship RMS St Helena of Curnow Shipping which does the run along the West African coast to the island of St Helena (in fact the current one is the second RMS St Helena). Hope this info may be of some minor interest.

JohnMac068
17th June 2008, 22:38
BA204259

You may well be right about the St.Helena, but I am surprised that she was broken up then, as she was still in quite good condition. However, she and several other ships were not sold to Nerdrum, the management was passed over to a wartime colleague of Lord Howard deWalden (the owner) after the death of RGM Street, who was the CEO of the Company until 1961. After that the fleet split up, as far as I can remember, with the St.Arvans and the St.John going under Nerdrum colours. I sailed on the St.Arvans from March '62 to July '62 for Nerdrum on a Greek charter to BA, twas a strange experience!!
After that I sailed on the St.John from Aug '62 to March '63 again for Nerdrum, but on the cars out, grain home Atlantic trade. On arrival in Hamburg in March '63 King Line took over. Some Saintliners served in a couple of new build Nerdrum ships, but the company went belly up in '63, and Lord Howard pulled the plug on Nerdrum. I was lucky, National Insurance, Income Tax and Pension paid up, some were not so lucky, and had to struggle to get these things properly sorted. Shame, because it was a great little outfit, which still, after all these years, hold annual reunions, in fact, the last one was in Chatham on the 6/7th June.

BA204259
18th June 2008, 07:49
JohnMac068

Thanks very much for your interesting reply. Despite several attempts over the years I have never been able to find out anything about Nerdrum's other than the fact I sailed on the St Helena. You have filled a great gap in my knowlege. I got the info that she was broken up in Belgium here:-

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/LibShipsS.html

but various other Google searches have suggested a breaking up date of 1963.

She was not in good condition. When I joined here in Immingham she was, without doubt the biggest rust bucket I had ever seen. It wasn't just skin deep either, there were several fairly major problems. I can't remember many of them but one I do remember was that some of the firebricks lining the boiler had fallen away and the plates would grow red hot much to the discomfort of the engineers. It culminated in Vancouver with a "walk off" and refusal to sail until she had been made seaworthy. After a delegation visited the Harbour Master an inpection was done. It was agreed that she was unseaworthy and she was held in Vancouver until repairs had been carried out - but don't ask me what they were, mists of time etc.
It all led to unpleasantness on the ship between the Master and just about everybody else but all in all there was a good crowd and I enjoyed it enormously, In fact I enjoyed it so much I've changed my avatar for a while.

On arrival in UK I was told by my union rep (ROU) that she would either be broken up immediately or there was a possibility that she would be sold to a Polish company.

Sorry if this is too far off the OP's topic - hope not - all part of a bit of SASL's history.

Chris Isaac
18th June 2008, 07:50
John
I joined St John immediately she came off the Nerdrum charter and was back as Saint Line. I then served on her for two years. I would love to know how to get in touch with old shipmates, how do I contact the re-union organiser?

Chris Isaac
18th June 2008, 07:52
Pic of St John in Nerdrum livery here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/53270/ppuser/7986

limey
18th June 2008, 07:58
thanks for all your help,dont think i will find what im looking for,however i am enjoying the history and the stories,will have to use artistic licence on this model.again thanks.
brian

DURANGO
18th June 2008, 08:20
John
I joined St John immediately she came off the Nerdrum charter and was back as Saint Line. I then served on her for two years. I would love to know how to get in touch with old shipmates, how do I contact the re-union organiser?
I did the last voyage in st essylt before she was sold to far east owners i beleive , in fact as far as i know it was the last voyage of the south american st line , she was a fine little ship and another loss to our once great merchant navy , we took a full cargo out to south america and brought a full cargo back .

BA204259
18th June 2008, 08:33
DURANGO

I did all of a fortnight on the St Essylt as a leave relief over Xmas 1961. Joined her at Victoria Docks, London and payed off in Bremen after a visit to, if I remember correctly, Antwerp. She was a beautiful little ship of a quite advanced design - I remember the radio room being in the funnel. I desperately wanted to stay on her to do the run to South America but apparently the incumbent R/O had been on there some time and enjoyed it so much that he couldn't be pried off the ship with a crowbar. Lovely days.:)

Topherjohn
18th June 2008, 10:04
Trying to trace ex-Warsash cadets. Did anyone come across a 1959 Warsash cadet called Hansen who I think joined South American Saint in January 1960? Can't recall his first name.

surfaceblow
19th June 2008, 05:23
It took awhile to find some of the pictures that I have. I was on the Santa Lucia built at Sun in 1966 ID Number 6523030 The only picture that I found was from the fly bridge looking forward.

I have a post card of the Santa Rosa from around the 1958 which I think is more of what you are looking for.

Joe

johnny2dogs
22nd June 2008, 23:12
(Thumb) (Thumb) I sailed on a ship called the St Margaret in 1970, for Houlder Bros.
The ships original name was Joya Macance.
It was an ore carrier of about 16500 tons and was a graet and verry happy ship!! had a few dodgy moments in bad weather on the North atlantic going to seven Islands but on the whole the ten months I spent on it were some of
the happiest times I ever had at sea
regards
Blackbob

(Thumb) hi blackbob, i actually sailed with you on the st margaret, we went to venezuala,up the orinoco, i think it was called porto daz or something like that, there were about 4 of us from hull and we sailed from hartlepool, wernt you the sheriff, ALL THE BEST johnny2dogs

Chris Isaac
23rd June 2008, 07:55
But that wasn't really South American Saint Line!
Saint Line ceased to exist in 1965 when B&C disposed of the ships.
Houlders simply acquired the name and then renamed an ore carrier, and then deployed her on a different run..... not the same!

DURANGO
10th July 2008, 09:05
DURANGO

I did all of a fortnight on the St Essylt as a leave relief over Xmas 1961. Joined her at Victoria Docks, London and payed off in Bremen after a visit to, if I remember correctly, Antwerp. She was a beautiful little ship of a quite advanced design - I remember the radio room being in the funnel. I desperately wanted to stay on her to do the run to South America but apparently the incumbent R/O had been on there some time and enjoyed it so much that he couldn't be pried off the ship with a crowbar. Lovely days.:) Truly great little ships such a shame that they where all sold off as you say Chris it was in 65 early part i think i have still got my discharge book with the dates i remember joining the Suevic after her , i supose the people you realy had to feel sorry for where the officers who had spent years with the company and some would not have been that old they had to move on and try to get into another company and still keep there rank ,that must have been realy hard unless of course they went tramping great days we will never see the like again thats for sure .,

Chris Isaac
10th July 2008, 22:45
As far as I can recall all the officers were absorbed into the B&C group and kept their ranks.

JohnMac068
11th July 2008, 15:58
As far as I can recall all the officers were absorbed into the B&C group and kept their ranks.

Not quite right, B&C told me that they could not guarantee that I would keep my rank (I was Chief Officer on the St.John at the time) so I left. Some of the others had gone onto Nerdrum ships (Norse Coral was one, I think) they were left out on a limb, one of those was Keith Stanley, later Master of QE 2. Several others left, Harry Tock went tramping, Ralph Brown, who was Eng. Supt for Nerdrum, did not go back to sea. Probably a good few others as well.
A great shame, was a great little outfit, whose remnants still meet up once a year for a weekend somewhere interesting, the last one was early June in Chatham.

DURANGO
11th July 2008, 16:44
Not quite right, B&C told me that they could not guarantee that I would keep my rank (I was Chief Officer on the St.John at the time) so I left. Some of the others had gone onto Nerdrum ships (Norse Coral was one, I think) they were left out on a limb, one of those was Keith Stanley, later Master of QE 2. Several others left, Harry Tock went tramping, Ralph Brown, who was Eng. Supt for Nerdrum, did not go back to sea. Probably a good few others as well.
A great shame, was a great little outfit, whose remnants still meet up once a year for a weekend somewhere interesting, the last one was early June in Chatham. As i have said i was an a.b. so for me although it was a great shame to see such a fine shipping company sell up i just joined another ship without any loss of position but when people had put so much effort into obtaining tickets and all the studies that went with that , it must have been very sad for some who where hoping to one day become master or chief engineer ,towards the later end of 1969 i knew that the writing was on the wall for all british merchant seamen regardless of position and i too left but the fact that i had been a merchant seaman and that i was able to splice helped me to obtain a decent and resonable well paid job shoreside

Bill Davies
11th July 2008, 17:10
Durango,
I think your post illustrates what most of have experienced. I never gained any satisfaction from seeing BF mates refuse to accept that things were changing and pursued that BF dream only to arrive in their late 40s with Ch.Mate experience and find command was never coming their way. It was very very sad. I carried a couple and they were in the main quite bitter.
Brgds
Bill

Bill

DURANGO
12th July 2008, 08:42
Durango,
I think your post illustrates what most of have experienced. I never gained any satisfaction from seeing BF mates refuse to accept that things were changing and pursued that BF dream only to arrive in their late 40s with Ch.Mate experience and find command was never coming their way. It was very very sad. I carried a couple and they were in the main quite bitter.
Brgds
Bill

Bill
The thing is though Bill i dont think it is hard to understand why they where bitter to be fair most of them had given it there all only to find that that it all slipped away, some saw it coming and took a risk which for some paid off

Bill Davies
12th July 2008, 08:58
'most of them had given it there all only to find that that it all slipped away'

That is exactly why they were bitter.

Bill

Chris Isaac
12th July 2008, 09:01
A great shame, was a great little outfit, whose remnants still meet up once a year for a weekend somewhere interesting, the last one was early June in Chatham.

I can only assume that you were Chief Officer on St John at the time of the end of her Nerdrum charter. At the time of her sale and renaming as St Marie the Chief Officer was Lennie Bainton and he was certainly taken into the B&C group. The transfer to the new owners took place in Antwerp, I was on board at the time.

Of the Saint Line masters at that time I know that Tommy Roberts kept his rank and Al Stacey retired. Of the Chief Officers I know that Messrs Bainton and Young kept their ranks. Several Second Mates were transferred and went on to be promoted.

Although I was only a cadet at the time I and all other cadets who wanted to transfer were offered positions in the group and many of us went on the serve in the company's most prestigious vessels.

howardang
3rd August 2008, 12:22
I was second mate of St Thomas in 1965 and indeed was offered a position with B&C when SASL folded, but chose to go to Cunard. I had previously sailed on St John as a cadet from 1960 to 1964 and I have fond memories of the company.

It would be good to hear from any old shipmates from that time.

Howardang

duquesa
3rd August 2008, 13:12
Cadet by the name of Robert (Bob) Palmer ring any bells?

howardang
3rd August 2008, 14:36
Cadet by the name of Robert (Bob) Palmer ring any bells?

Yes, I sailed with Bob Palmer in 1960/61. He was senior Cadet of the St John when I joined for my first trip.

Howard

Three-oh
9th August 2008, 19:21
G'day Markf,
Ref South American Saint Line photos. Can I suggest that you contact maritime author and historian P.M. Heaton. His book "Welsh Blockade Runners in the Spanish Civil War" includes a number of photos of SASL ships. They are interesting in their own right, but are of course before the concept of Empire/Liberty ships, the period you are researching, but Mr Heaton may have information about the subsequent history of SASL and its vessels. My brother sailed on the St Merriel and it was a much finer class of ship than the blockade runners of the late 1930s.
The book above was published by "The Starling Press", Risca, in 1985, but I think that the publisher subsequently became "P.M. Heaton Publishing". Your local library will be able to give you the current address. I hope that this tip is of help.
Good luck in your hunting, Three-oh

howard james
16th August 2008, 15:07
BA204259

You may well be right about the St.Helena, but I am surprised that she was broken up then, as she was still in quite good condition. However, she and several other ships were not sold to Nerdrum, the management was passed over to a wartime colleague of Lord Howard deWalden (the owner) after the death of RGM Street, who was the CEO of the Company until 1961. After that the fleet split up, as far as I can remember, with the St.Arvans and the St.John going under Nerdrum colours. I sailed on the St.Arvans from March '62 to July '62 for Nerdrum on a Greek charter to BA, twas a strange experience!!
After that I sailed on the St.John from Aug '62 to March '63 again for Nerdrum, but on the cars out, grain home Atlantic trade. On arrival in Hamburg in March '63 King Line took over. Some Saintliners served in a couple of new build Nerdrum ships, but the company went belly up in '63, and Lord Howard pulled the plug on Nerdrum. I was lucky, National Insurance, Income Tax and Pension paid up, some were not so lucky, and had to struggle to get these things properly sorted. Shame, because it was a great little outfit, which still, after all these years, hold annual reunions, in fact, the last one was in Chatham on the 6/7th June. Hi Johnmac i took the St Arvans to the breakers at maldon i signed on at Liverpool 21 July 1962 and signed off 25July 1962 (a run job) got no sleep with steam winches happy days,regards Howard

brianm
3rd October 2008, 15:39
hi there served with saint line as cadet and deck officer from 57 to 64 have got photos of all their ships
best wishes
brian

andysk
6th October 2008, 10:32
G'day Markf,
Ref South American Saint Line photos. Can I suggest that you contact maritime author and historian P.M. Heaton. His book "Welsh Blockade Runners in the Spanish Civil War" includes a number of photos of SASL ships. They are interesting in their own right, but are of course before the concept of Empire/Liberty ships, the period you are researching, but Mr Heaton may have information about the subsequent history of SASL and its vessels. My brother sailed on the St Merriel and it was a much finer class of ship than the blockade runners of the late 1930s.
The book above was published by "The Starling Press", Risca, in 1985, but I think that the publisher subsequently became "P.M. Heaton Publishing". Your local library will be able to give you the current address. I hope that this tip is of help.

I just had a look at 'abebooks.co.uk', filled in the title and author, found 14 copies listed varying in price from 8.50 to 47.11, dependant on where in the world it is coming from ! Enjoy ...

andysk
6th October 2008, 10:35
... Of the Saint Line masters at that time I know that Tommy Roberts kept his rank and Al Stacey retired. Of the Chief Officers I know that Messrs Bainton and Young kept their ranks. Several Second Mates were transferred and went on to be promoted.

Chris, was that the same Capt Roberts whi had been torpedoed during the war, and later lost a family member on a shipboard fire ?

Also, did you ever come across Ian Pegg, R/O in SASL ?

JohnMac068
6th October 2008, 13:26
G'day Markf,

P M Heaton also wrote "The South American Saint Line" History of a Welch Shipping Venture, published by the Starling Press in 1985. ISBN 0 9507714 4 9

A very interesting review of the company.

Chris Isaac
6th October 2008, 17:29
Chris, was that the same Capt Roberts whi had been torpedoed during the war, and later lost a family member on a shipboard fire ?

Also, did you ever come across Ian Pegg, R/O in SASL ?

I dont think its the same Tommy Roberts. The Tommy Roberts I know was a round welshman who liked nothing better than bullying the mates. For some strange reason he never bullied cadets, probably thought we werent worth it!

Ian Pegg! thats a name I have been trying to remember for years. I have a postcard of him and I and a few others drinking in the Zillertal in Hamburg in 1963 while we were on St John. I will scan it and post it.... by the way Tommy Roberts was master of the ship at the time.

andysk
7th October 2008, 14:00
...... Ian Pegg! thats a name I have been trying to remember for years. I have a postcard of him and I and a few others drinking in the Zillertal in Hamburg in 1963 while we were on St John. I will scan it and post it.... by the way Tommy Roberts was master of the ship at the time.

When I sailed with Ian he was 2/R/O on SA Oranje, with Bill Eckersley as Chief and Robin Diamond as 3/R/O (I was the 4th !) The only man I knew who could work out what had and what hadn't been used in an integrated circuit chip and use the unused bit to get something going again ! He was nicknamed 'Goldenball's for some reason unknown to me !

David Williams
28th April 2009, 18:19
Thanks guys

I believe you thoughI'm not particularly bothered about designer to be honest.... though it was something to do with Empire bread ships or something like that.

Best wishes

Mark

Hi Mark.
If you click onto S S STEAMSHIP,you will find
130 photo's of ships named "Saint#######"
and about 74 named "St########".

Dave Williams(R583900)

BillH
7th August 2009, 07:16
But that wasn't really South American Saint Line!
Saint Line ceased to exist in 1965 when B&C disposed of the ships.
Houlders simply acquired the name and then renamed an ore carrier, and then deployed her on a different run..... not the same!
Per Companies House records

The South American Saint Line Ltd

Company Registered No. 217711
Incorporated 24th November 1926
Dormant 1996
Dissolved 30th June 1998

Last address
15, Marlebone Road
London
NW1 5JD

john bell
15th August 2009, 15:10
Thanks guys

Best wishes

Mark

I sailed on the MV Hermiston - she had previosly been the Saint Rosario. She was a beautiful ship and postcards of her used to be advertised on the back page of Sea Breezes. I think Chapmans had bought her when Saint Line went belly-up in the sixties. You could do a look-up of the Hermiston.

Abbeywood.
8th September 2009, 10:13
(MAD) because I'm getting nowhere

Hi guys
Searching for any pics of St Margaret or as she was launched Empire Cameron
1941 Wm Denny & Bros Dunbarton. sold to SASL 1946.

Somewhere I came across a thread about Liberty and Empire ships. Can't find it now. It was about the design of them. I think the design was one of Doxfords of Sunderland. Don't quote me lol

Best wishes

Mark F (Scribe)

Think you'll find they were based on a J.L.Thompson, (Sunderland), design.

R396040
17th September 2009, 20:46
I sailed on the St Helena as A/S. See I joined her in London 7/11/1951 and left her in Rotterdam 24/3/1952. It was the usual S.American run Brazil,& Argentina. In those days she wasnt in bad condition and conditions were OK.Cant make out the Masters name in my Dis/bk but recall he was OK. Main thing I recall about the trip was before arriving off S.American coast the ship suddenly hoisted the ensign at sea and promptly lowered it again to half mast. We were then informed the King had died and Princess Elizabeth would be our Queen. Not too many private radios aboard in those days.
Stuart Henderson
France R396040

francis brooke
3rd August 2011, 00:56
I sailed on the MV Hermiston - she had previosly been the Saint Rosario. She was a beautiful ship and postcards of her used to be advertised on the back page of Sea Breezes. I think Chapmans had bought her when Saint Line went belly-up in the sixties. You could do a look-up of the Hermiston.

hi i joined a ship around 1965/6 in gothenburg sweden after flying there from cardiff, i believe was the hermiston we sailed to the persian gulf and then to newcastle , my memory tells me she was an oil tanker , but the inter net tells me different . It was my first trip as a galley boy and on reaching the north sea we hit a storm and all portholes on the starboard side broke and let in water, i remember waking up to water in all the alleyways , i wasn.t to worried as it was my first trip and thought it was normal. I remember walking down a long walkway to the steering room carrying food to the on duty officers , waves were breaking over the ship right over the walkway , i remember reading shortly afterwards it was the worst storm for some time , i have no records of the trip ,i,d like to know was the Hermiston an oil tanker and the date of the storm aprox.

Allan Hertford
29th May 2013, 19:58
I trained in Sharpness Docks in Gloucester in 1962/3. I joined the St John in Hamburg,as a JOS sailing for New Orleans with VW cars. We then loaded grain for Spain and then on to North Africa for fertiliser for Holland. Are there any other members who were on that trip?

Alan

Chris Isaac
18th July 2013, 20:21
More stuff about Saint Line here:
http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/page26.html

Chris Isaac
18th July 2013, 20:23
Per Companies House records

The South American Saint Line Ltd

Company Registered No. 217711
Incorporated 24th November 1926
Dormant 1996