Naess Ambassador

tait693
12th March 2007, 01:34
Joined this ship in the builders as 2/0 in Sept. 1972 (Mitsubishi, Nagasaki).
I still remember her as probably the best built ship I ever sailed on.
One theory for the build quality was that she was built in the same yard as the Naess Champion and Naess Sovereign who also had a reputation for build, and had been among the biggest ships in the world at their launch. The Ambassador was also the biggest Ore/Oil carrier at her launch and it seemed, knowing the Japanese mindset,that all stops were pulled out to maintain the Mitsubishi reputation to produce the biggest and best .
I went back to the ship a number of years later to assist a quick oil/ore change over between Durban and Saldahna Bay and was amazed to find the ship still operating as if she had just left the yard. By that time she had become (I think) the Cast Rorwhal.? I`d be interested to know if anyone has any information on where she went after Cast.

For interest, the senior personnel at the building were Capt. Macphee, c/o Brian French, c/e Tony Airey, 2/e John Galpin and Ch. Stwd. Jimmy Prentice, all great characters. Regards, Tom Tait

xdenholm
12th March 2007, 11:41
cast narwhal ex nordic conquerer had mitsubishi plant though in 1981/82 when i was on her the double bottoms were in a bad state iron ore from south africa to rotterdam and also the states .think e warman was old man at the time.(Thumb)

randcmackenzie
12th March 2007, 13:16
I can't remember who the owners were, but she became CASTOR, and was finally scrapped after war damage during the Iran/Iraq war.

Are you the Tommy Tait who was mate on Scandia Team?

tait693
12th March 2007, 16:27
Hello! Thanks for the info about the Naess Ambassador.
Been checking up the old discharge books and was mate on the Skandia team in 1984 so suspect I`m talking to Roddy macKenzie from the Aultbea direction. I`ve not been long on this site but already seeing a lot of old names from the past and enjoying catching up.
I retired last year so beginning to get the hang of home life once again. Built a wee holiday house back on the croft in Shetland so looking forward to spending more time up there ,catching up on a bit of fishing etc.
You will probably be retired by now too so hope life is treating you well and plenty of time on your hands to do what you want.
I still look back on the Team ships as the pick of the OBO`s even though I remember spending an awful lot of time in the tunnel on the Scandia .
Anyway, Thanks again for the reply and all the best for now
Tommy Tait

randcmackenzie
12th March 2007, 21:24
You are indeed Tommy, good to hear you're doing well.

I retired about 2 years ago, though I am still looking for the time on the hands bit.

I try to do a bit of fishing too in the summer, but all that is left is mackerel and even they were awful wee last year.

Yes, tunnel exploits on Team boats were favourites - mostly fitting long Dresser couplings which I'm sure you remember.

Don't pass aultbea without looking me up.

Best regards, roddie.

Dick S
12th March 2007, 22:46
Tom,
Which one were we on when your First born came along? Was it The Scandia Team, or was it the Burmah Awful(sorry Opal)?

Dick

tait693
13th March 2007, 00:50
Hello again Roddie, Thought it must be you and great to catch up again. I can see what you mean already about the time on hands thing, just doesnt happen does it.
I know what you mean about the fishing too, I used to have my wee boat down here ,moored at Portsoy, but got so fed up with small mackerel and nothing else that it was the first thing to be moved north when I built the wee house back home. Had more good fish in three weeks last summer than the last three years the boat was down here.
I see you are still in Aultbea so will certainly look you up if ever across that way. My oldest girl is married and living across in Salen so we are across in the west quite often and might just take the long way home sometime. She is teaching in Strontian so have met John Jackson down there,he`s still doing his pilot/harbour master bit there
All the best for now Roddie. Hope to meet up again someday.
Best Regards, Tommy,
PS. do you know where Brechin Bill is nowadays.?

tait693
13th March 2007, 01:15
Hi ! Dick S. Long time no hear,
Guess it was the Burmah Opal 1973 we hooked up and had some serious head wetting to do. In fact, not so long ago during a bit of loft tidy up, I came upon a poetic masterpiece written to mark the occasion.Just hanging on to it till the Antiques Roadshow hits town.
Anyway, What are you up to these days. I retired last summer so still trying to keep my feet on dry land. Enjoying it though and finding plenty to do, what with 6 grandchildren scattered around the country to amuse.
Drop a line sometime and lets know how you`re doing,

Best regards, Tom Tait

randcmackenzie
15th March 2007, 01:17
Hello again Roddie, Thought it must be you and great to catch up again. I can see what you mean already about the time on hands thing, just doesnt happen does it.
I know what you mean about the fishing too, I used to have my wee boat down here ,moored at Portsoy, but got so fed up with small mackerel and nothing else that it was the first thing to be moved north when I built the wee house back home. Had more good fish in three weeks last summer than the last three years the boat was down here.
I see you are still in Aultbea so will certainly look you up if ever across that way. My oldest girl is married and living across in Salen so we are across in the west quite often and might just take the long way home sometime. She is teaching in Strontian so have met John Jackson down there,he`s still doing his pilot/harbour master bit there
All the best for now Roddie. Hope to meet up again someday.
Best Regards, Tommy,
PS. do you know where Brechin Bill is nowadays.?
Hello Tommy - Bill is still in Brechin last I heard about a year or two ago.

When I heard of him last he was with Vela, but doing training or audit or something like that.