Empire Ken and other Royal Mail Ships

Roger
13th March 2007, 19:46
Any of you good ole boys around that sailed on the Empire Ken. I would like to get in touch with you. I was bathroom steward during the Suez crisis back in 56.Johnny Everett was with me.Tiny Gladhill. Giant of a man was Chief Steward. Before that sailed on her to Hong Kong. Great ship with real mates..
Also sailed on "Alcantara" for three years and "Andes" when she started cruising. Hope to hear from some old mates.

Roger Rogers

Terry Adams
14th March 2007, 11:30
Hi Roger I was on Alcantara 1954 as Sen.Eng.Stwd.and Andes 1954,1962, Aragon 1961 various E class,Y class and finally Loch Avon as 2nd.Stwd.then back to T class as Chief Stwd.and left Royal Mail in 1967 when Furness took over and I also new Tiny.

Roger
14th March 2007, 12:42
Hi Roger I was on Alcantara 1954 as Sen.Eng.Stwd.and Andes 1954,1962, Aragon 1961 various E class,Y class and finally Loch Avon as 2nd.Stwd.then back to T class as Chief Stwd.and left Royal Mail in 1967 when Furness took over and I also new Tiny.
Nice to hear from you Terry. In 1954 I was pursers Boy. Main job to print and deliver the newsheet. Great little job. Stayed two years until they got wise I was 18 and a half. £10-12-6d a month. Tips as pursers bor about £150 a month. Thats when I joined the Ken, going back for the Alca,s last few trips in the meal bar with Joe Ferando. Stay well terry
Roger

Charles King
14th March 2007, 21:51
Was a AB aboard the Almanzora 1944-45. Wondered if you are aware of anyone who you know of who served on her during this period. Charles King

Terry Adams
9th August 2008, 19:46
Roger,Sorry for the late reply but my brother got his hands on my computer
and deleted all my records including my email address.I do remember those days very well and miss them as they will never come back,hard work and good runs ashore still we had an oportunity that will never come around again.
If you want to chat my number is xxxxx xxxxx.Cheers,Terry
Please use private messages to exchange telephone numbers.This is a public site.

fredav1
12th August 2008, 22:23
Can someone refresh my memory. I was on a RMS ship which I thought was the Andes but if Andes was a passenger ship then I was wrong. The one I was on was a cargo boat & had a similar name. It would be about 1956/7. We went to La Guira in Venesuela and to the Maracaibo Lakes.
Thanks Fredav

fredav1
1st September 2008, 23:47
Memory has just kicked in, it was the Araby

BLADECHEF
2nd September 2008, 19:43
My late farther waz ab on andes ,alcantara ,almazora his name waz tom webber from southampton

David Williams
5th February 2009, 18:43
Hi Roger.
I did just the one trip on the Alacantara,
from24/1/57 until 21/3/57.Not the best of
ships I sailed on,but by far the best for tips,
it was more like a local bus than a ship,she
was my last Big Boat,went back to tankers
and cargo boats aftewr that.

Dave Williams(R583900)

doreen rowhedge
5th November 2013, 17:55
Captain G D williams spent 7 years until 1946 with Royal mail Lines does anyone remember him
Regards Doreen

Kanbe
7th November 2013, 12:29
Hi there
I have just read your post. I was a passenger on the Empire Ken in 1951 from Mombasa to Port Said where we transferred to the Empress of Australia. As soon as we cleared the reef did the ***** roll. Also called at Masawa in the Red Sea where it was so hot that the captain sailed at Noon leaving behind some of the troops that were supposed to board as they had not arrived on time - Memories

Taplow 1917
7th January 2014, 19:23
when I went to Cyprus in July 1957 it was aboard the Empire Ken which was being used as a troopship,us troops could only buy beer on the trip, but some good crew members got us the odd bottle of hard stuff,
I wonder if there is any crew members from that voyage still around?

John Rogers
7th January 2014, 19:40
There are some photos of the Empire Ken in my gallery,one was taken in the Red Sea.

Roger Griffiths
8th January 2014, 00:29
If anyone needs detailed movements of EMPIRE KEN just send a PM.

regards Roger