Cayzer Irvine.

timo
13th March 2007, 20:48
Anyone ever work for Cayzer Irvine (not strictly Clan line but part of the same shipping group,British & Commonwealth) I did my first 3 trips with them-1981-83, King alfred, Scottish lion and Edinburgh Universal. One of the better companys to work for? (so I was told back then!), crews were ok too.

grayfrancks
15th April 2008, 17:22
Hi,
Yes, I worked for Cayzer Irvine on the Scottish Lion in '83 as an A.B. A lot of the crew had been on the sister ship, the Scottish Eagle, in the Falklands the previous year where she'd been the longest continuous serving ship, naval or merchant, there.
Gray Francks.

robsons
9th August 2009, 07:45
My name is steve robson
I worked for Cayzer Irvine of a quite a few years around the mud 80's
I sailed on the Al Zohal, Meltem and Mistral, and the Scirocco Universal.
I have lost touch with just about everyone now, so would like to hear from anyone from those good days.

Steve

wharferat
9th August 2009, 09:51
I started my cadetship with them september '77. Sailed on the Barcelona, King Richard, twice, & Causeway, until made redundant, & offered a job foreign flag in the same sentance back in 1983. Did another 10 & half years on those before being displaced by alternative source officers (cheaper than Brits). Then went to P & O Containers, 2nd trip with them was on the Table Bay (once known as Barcelona).

Banni
9th August 2009, 19:24
Wharferat when did you sail on the Causeway? I sailed on her twice - June to October 1981 and then Feb to Aug 1982

wharferat
10th August 2009, 06:24
Hi Banni, I was with you on your last trip there. Well remember you coming back to the ER after being interrupted by Jelly Tot whilst combining a livener & a session on the throne. Gordon Watt(?) was 3/E, Murray Sinclair 2/E, Me, J/E. IIRC you paid off in Isreal. You were relieved by Barry Gibb (he left a few years later to become a policeman), Gordon was relieved by jeff Argent, Jellly Tot by Sad Sam . Other names that trip, Bob Dhoby, Fred Yeulett, Terry O'Donnel, Charlie Cavanagh, Phil Hooper, Richard Precious. Wonder what they're all doing now?

Chris Isaac
10th August 2009, 08:00
Why not join our B&C Group and try to trace each other:
http://groups.google.com/group/british-and-commonwealth

macca57
11th December 2009, 20:40
Hi Guys,
Just picked this thread up, Initially, Cayer Irvine owned ships but gradually transferred to ship management, in the later years the company owned various ships as they shrunk their orginal ownership.

G0SLP
18th December 2009, 01:59
Just picking this thread up myself

Cayzer ships I sailed on from 1981:-
Clan Alpine, King Alfred, Table Bay, Scottish Eagle, Scottish Lion, Speedster Universal, Meltem, Al Moshtaree

Regards to all
Mark Coultas

Nick.Cardew
19th November 2011, 19:09
I think myself and my room mate Willie White were about the last engineer cadets with Cayzer Irvine, we started in 1980 in Southampton. There we a couple of CI cadets in older years but I forget there names. Think Willie ended up at James Fisher on the nuclear boats, would like to catch up with him if anyone knows where he is now?

I did 6 months on the Stirling Universal in 82 I think. Joined in Sheerness (sheernasty!), think we did Panama Canal, Equador, Chile, Suez Canal, Capetown, and most of the Med and Uk, great time. I did my final cadet time on the OCL Resolution Bay, got made redundant by B&C the day paid before off, then got a job with OCL the next day on another shio . I remember sailing as a 4th Eng without a 4ths ticket, got it the next time home.

I visited their offices in Seething Lane, Capt Abbot was the cadet manager, a real gentleman. The offices were full of ship memorabilia, like bells and ship models.

I have some pics of the boats, will have to scan them and put them online. I remember getting my eye brows shaved when crossing the line, and the ceremony, happy days.

Great to hear from other CI employees.

Cheers
Nick Cardew

Archie Paice
9th February 2013, 22:21
Just picking this thread up myself

Cayzer ships I sailed on from 1981:-
Clan Alpine, King Alfred, Table Bay, Scottish Eagle, Scottish Lion, Speedster Universal, Meltem, Al Moshtaree

Regards to all
Mark Coultas

Hullo Mark,
I did the later days in the Shipyard before the Maiden Voyage of tha m.v. king Alfred. Cleaning her up, Storing her up and getting her ready for the trip. I then did the Maiden Voyage on her. I was the Purser.
Regards, Archie.

Bazza-B&C
28th January 2014, 16:24
Hi Banni, I was with you on your last trip there. Well remember you coming back to the ER after being interrupted by Jelly Tot whilst combining a livener & a session on the throne. Gordon Watt(?) was 3/E, Murray Sinclair 2/E, Me, J/E. IIRC you paid off in Isreal. You were relieved by Barry Gibb (he left a few years later to become a policeman), Gordon was relieved by jeff Argent, Jellly Tot by Sad Sam . Other names that trip, Bob Dhoby, Fred Yeulett, Terry O'Donnel, Charlie Cavanagh, Phil Hooper, Richard Precious. Wonder what they're all doing now?

Odd to see my name on this. I did do a stint in the police but returned to Texaco before being made redundant. Now with BP working in office on new build projects. - Barry Gibbs

Banni
28th January 2014, 16:34
Barry, you relieved me, I then did a coastal and joined the Police in Dumfries and galloway, served 27 years and retired with 30yrs pension because my MN pension commuted. Since then I have been a postie for 3yrs., and now finished for good! strange world