shearwater

humbertug
15th March 2007, 08:27
in the early 80s i was in 2 diving support ships out of Aberdeen the shear water sapphire and the aqua marine dose anyone know what happened to them ?

Geoff_E
15th March 2007, 17:53
The Sapphire went to India in the mid '80's, sold to Essar Shipping I think. There is an Aquamarine still around, don't know if it's the same one. It was being run by the Norwegian company DSND until fairly recently.

I seem to remember that the Sapphire was similar to Deepwater I, now Rockwater I.

Pat McCardle
15th March 2007, 20:09
Aquamarine now Bibby Aquamarine, see gallery special purpose vessels

RayJordandpo
15th March 2007, 23:40
Aquamarine or now 'Bibby Aquamarine' as Pat quite rightly says is still on the go, I saw her in Aberdeen recently. I believe she is on charter to Acergy (ex Stolt) I remember her some years ago working out of Malaysia under the name of 'Black Gold Aquamarine' crewed I think by Denholm Offshore. Shearwater (now there's a blast from the past) has long gone. Shame they were nice ships.

stuart(diver)
20th March 2007, 22:08
Aquamarine is a Bibby line boat, with ISS from Aberdeen doing the diving work from her for the last few years- there seems to be a bit of a tie in between Bibby and ISS. The Sapphire appears to be still working as a DSV in India as the Peerless Stena II. I would guess she was the same design as the Rocky 1/2

stuart(diver)
21st March 2007, 16:23
After a quick look, it seems that the Sapphire is now the SEAMAC 2, working in the gulf o mexico for technip.

Rennie Cameron
22nd March 2007, 08:52
Just to fill in the space, there was also the sister the Topaz. She also went to India. The Deepwater 1 and 2 were upgraded sisters and the Energy Searcher the best of the bunch. DW's became the Rockwaters and the E/S went to the Swedish Navy. All were the designs of Midland and Scottish. The helidecks were raised on the ships after the Shearwater vessels were buit. This was a retrofit on the DW 1 as she was standing still on her first trip to the Brae Field! Cranes have changed, bits have been stuck in but look the same! Hope that fills in a few bits. Geoff Guest former MD of Shearwater in still going at about 80!

gdynia
25th March 2007, 16:15
Peter
Thers a photo of the Sapphire now Seamac 2 in my gallery. I was onboard her last week at the Akal Field offshore Mexico where she is on a Pemex Charter. She is owned by the Indians

RayJordandpo
26th March 2007, 23:40
Just to fill in the space, there was also the sister the Topaz. She also went to India. The Deepwater 1 and 2 were upgraded sisters and the Energy Searcher the best of the bunch. DW's became the Rockwaters and the E/S went to the Swedish Navy. All were the designs of Midland and Scottish. The helidecks were raised on the ships after the Shearwater vessels were buit. This was a retrofit on the DW 1 as she was standing still on her first trip to the Brae Field! Cranes have changed, bits have been stuck in but look the same! Hope that fills in a few bits. Geoff Guest former MD of Shearwater in still going at about 80!

Rennie
Are you sure it was the Energy Searcher that went to the Swedish Navy or the Energy Supporter? I was on the Supporter in Brazil (I was employed by Denholms) she was owned by the Italian company SANA and registered in Roma, crewed by mainly Italians with French divers from Comex. If it is the same ship she was the same design as the Rockwater boats but I believe about eight metres longer, built by De Hoop of Holland. A very fine dive support vessel indeed, I heard she was later sold to the Swedish Navy as some sort of submarine tender.
Ray Jordan

stuart(diver)
27th March 2007, 07:55
...now named HMS belos

Rennie Cameron
28th March 2007, 07:21
Morning Ray....yep youre right, Supporter. Yes she was the best. I was onboard with Midland and Scottish, when she arrived - with well decorated Italian officers! Did Denholms take over from them?
SANA was (by any other name) a Midland and Scottish company. They also built the rig in Fincantieri (the one which sunk down Brazil). Cant recall the name and previous to that had some little psv running out of Abz.
The Supporter as you will recall had two cranes whereas the others (at that time) only had one. The extra length and the new helideck design I thought made her better looking. I understand after she went to Sweden she was being overhauled when the Estonia went down. Being built in Holland for Italian owners she enjoyed subsidies. Trust you are well.

RayJordandpo
9th April 2007, 22:03
Hi Rennie
Denholms were supplying DPO's to any company that required them, just supply and demand I suppose. The guy running the show for SANA was an Italian, an ex diver who lived in Aberdeen for many years whilst diving in the North Sea. He was a really nice guy but for the life of me I can't remember his name. The Captain was from Dubrovnik and the poor sod had his house blown up during the troubles there. As you rightly say the Supporter was a fine ship, I saw her on TV just a few days ago on a program about submarines and as Stuartdiver rightly says is now named 'Belios'
Take care
Ray Jordan

demodocus
30th October 2007, 06:15
in the early 80s i was in the shear water sapphire dose anyone know what happened to them ?

I was Contract Manager of the Sapphire job in Bass Strait 83/84. Worked well although the UK Shore and Offshore Dive Management was atrocious. No management experience, all good friends together, and out to show the colonials how it should be done.

We were glad to be rid of the ship.

Rennie Cameron
24th November 2007, 08:53
An update guys - one of them had a bad fire recently and had to go in to Curacao. She is back working.

gdynia
24th November 2007, 09:37
An update guys - one of them had a bad fire recently and had to go in to Curacao. She is back working.

Rennie

It was Seamac 2 and 4 or 5 Welders were killed inside a tank whilst getting repaired

Bossebus
21st December 2007, 16:58
Update on Energy Supporter/HMS Belos:
Nowadays shes got 4 cranes(100tonnes-5tonnes) and 2 A-frames(60tonnes and 5tonnes), 1 diving system, 2 permanent ROV-systems and are operating for the Swedish Navy. She made a major overhaul in 2005 at Gotaverken Shipyard in Gothenburg. Have a look at(its in swedish, but some pictures): http://www.1ubflj.mil.se/article.php?id=1355

Anybody here that got some pictures on Belos sisters?

Take care!

Rennie Cameron
1st January 2008, 11:40
Bossebus there are a lot around but I dumped all the old brochures about 6 months ago. They have changed substnatially in some cases. You are looking for Rockwater 1 and 2 and the Topaz and Sapphire (ex Shearwater) mentioned above. They got better as they went along! The Rockwater 2 (ex Deepwater 2) was the first of these two to have the helideck raised a deck during build.....I recall the battle well. The Supporter was built to that spec. Its a long story and in most parts well known but I am sure the photos over the years and probaly here will tell the story

big_jock
16th August 2010, 23:37
I cannot answer the question of what happened to them. If I may ask a question, did you know my father David Lawrence. He worked on the Aquamarine early eighties.

nigelliz
26th January 2012, 16:48
Latest information on Aquamarine, she was handed over from Bibby to Marine Engineering Diving Services UAE (MEDS) in October last year (2011). MEDS have renamed her "ALTUS EXERTUS", cleaned her up and she is still looking good and working well in Iraqi waters. I was fortunate to have worked on her for Bibby for 6 years and I'm now back on her for MEDS. :)
See newest photos on MEDS UAE website.