A cosy bar
You soon find out
Where the armchairs are.
Alas the night will pass away
The girls will take you home to play.
Up a hillside in a wooden house
You play the game of cat and mouse.
Round the bed in stocking feet,
You soon find out where West meets East.
Soon dawn breaks in at five
And you crawl back aboard, half alive.
Thinking of a further night ashore
When you can have fun just once more
Hopefully, without a blood test in Singapore.

Succour
21st June 2014, 09:28
Nice poem Sow-Sow-La

Would you remember where the blood tests were done in Singapore?
Seem to recall they were done at a small clinic in 'Nelson Road'.

It's no more there, but was close to Cantonment Road (Tanjong Pagar) where the Port of Singapore Mariners Center now stands.

Many a lad would be nervous homeward bound, and be fearful of that little brown envelope and a possible bad result......

Having the Channels and being worried about a little brown envelope was a rare mixture of emotions.

All the best lads.
Succour.

MikeK
22nd June 2014, 08:16
Ah memories ! Then there was the one at the back of the YWCA in Kowloon, etc etc. Always reckoned I could write a guide to equal any Michelin one on pox doctors of the world !

Mike

Tony Morris
22nd June 2014, 09:45
Anyone know if the Licky Tomato Bar is still open in Kobe.

Tony

Rob Pithers
22nd June 2014, 19:46
That brings back some wonderful memories. First trip cadet. Start in the Gulf ( to save up) then a month on the Jap coast, 1st and last week in Kobe. Wonder how the earthquake affected the places I knew. Is Pandoras still there. It was compulsory for all P&O to sign the 'visitors book' on first trip ashore.
Rob

Dan.n
22nd June 2014, 23:42
Lovely city and a great welcome, having called there on the Queen Elizabeth along with three other Japanese ports in April this year on her world cruise, having been in Japan while on the Broompark in the summer of 1960. Dan

LouisB
23rd June 2014, 00:15
That brings back some wonderful memories. First trip cadet. Start in the Gulf ( to save up) then a month on the Jap coast, 1st and last week in Kobe. Wonder how the earthquake affected the places I knew. Is Pandoras still there. It was compulsory for all P&O to sign the 'visitors book' on first trip ashore.
Rob

A long time ago I remember seeing a Liverpool City police helmet hanging up behind the bar in Pandora's - no doubt with it had an interesting history. Happy, happy days of yore.

LouisB. (Scribe)

Pat Kennedy
23rd June 2014, 00:54
On my first trip to sea, the bosun of the Achilles,a normally taciturn individual, let it be known when we were a couple of days out of Kobe, that he owned a bar there, called the Surf Rider Bar, and he distributed cards amongst the crew, offering the first drink for free.
It seemed he had married a Japanese woman several years before and became co owner of her bar, she was, in fact, the Mama San.
Being only a deck boy, me and the other peggy didnt get to see his bar, but listening to the ABs in the messroom, it seemed it was well stocked with accomodating young ladies.
My dad knew this bosun, because he grew up in the next street in New Brighton, and was astounded to hear about his Japanese wife and said his New Brighton wife wouldnt be too pleased if she ever found out.
Pat

stevie burgess
23rd June 2014, 01:35
Anyone know if the Licky Tomato Bar is still open in Kobe.

Tony
Well remember the licky tomato bar Tony but that was about 20 years ago now,had some great nights up the road in the Moto Machi but can't remember the names of the bars now!

Hugh Ferguson
26th June 2014, 12:04
"A Night in Kobe" A custom old enough to have become called a "Custom of the Sea"

Click HERE (www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=15759#86) for one that happened more than a hundred years ago: last page post#86 is relevant one. This is she: a photo taken on a "plate" camera by the surgeon 107 years ago in a street in Kobe; Ponta on right.

(The son of that 2nd mate is pictured in post #1. He has since died.)

deckboypeggy
22nd August 2014, 21:34
How well i remmember KOBE, 3 trips deck boy, after that i was no mr cherry boy,and i think nearly 17years old.my grandchildren are still classed as children at 17,it should be compusalry to go to the motomatchi before they leave school better than any uni.collage,plus you did not need to spell..
Iwell remember knocking on the engineers doors the last night trying to borrow money for a present for my" mum"!i allways got ashore thanks to them.

ben27
23rd August 2014, 01:19
good day,sow-sow-la,m,16th march,2007.03:37.re:'a night in kobe(poem)'great poem.is the date correct.(2007)as posted.regards ben27