Wireless College, Southampton - Early 60's

mikeg
16th March 2007, 14:51
Does anyone here remember lecturers Mudie and Johnstone, they both really excelled in their subjects? I recall the move from St. Mary's Radio College into the then brand new East Park Terrace with it's radio section up on the 7th floor.
How about the professor that taught us radar who often got carried away filling the large blackboard up with formula, every so often he'd turn around and say 'Did you follow that?' We'd all say 'Yes'.. so he'd carry on right through the period just writing formula (beautiful mind?). Though I found out later not one of us understood a thing! He must of though we were all very bright!!
Most of us did though get our pmg and radar tickets okay though.

Mike

alex page
16th March 2007, 22:24
I think the name was moodie an Irishman who had served on salvage tugs
Alex

mikeg
17th March 2007, 01:57
Alex,

Yes, thats it, thanks. How is it you know of Moodie? (Can't remember his whole name now)
Cheers,

Mike

ian fears
17th March 2007, 15:59
was at east park terrace 1967 to 69 , was it not ron moodie , i thought he was ex portishead seem to remember his morse as being machine like music to receive , think johnstone was ex trawlers bit of a dour man but knew his stuff trying hard to think of his first name , after all this time its hard to remember , our morse tutors name was fisher ex rn good laugh

Peter Isaac
21st March 2007, 08:59
I was at East Park Terrace 1965 to 1967, before joining Marconi. I remember both Moodie and Johnstone, however during my time we had another lecturer whose name I believe was Hatcher (or Thatcher). When lecturing he would say on occassions "now don't get your bowels in an uproar"! All in all, I enjoyed my time at East Park Terrace. My first trip was on an Athel tanker where we carried only two cargoes of Molasses in 5 months - owing to continual breakdowns! It was not the best introduction to life at sea and I wrote out my letter of resignation, to hand in on payoff in Liverpool, but I tore it up shortly after reaching Liverpool. I went on to do a few more years at sea. Now a Customs Officer in Sydney!

docgk
22nd August 2011, 09:45
A few additional bits of info for you: It was Dick Moody ( still living in Southampton). Johnny Johnstone and the irishman who was on the salvage tugs was Frank Mahon.... The 'other' lecturer was Peter Hatcher....

ian fears
23rd August 2011, 09:25
Hatcher was head of the department when I was there , I think !!

NoMoss
23rd August 2011, 09:38
I took both 2nd and 1st Class at Southampton. The 2nd when the course was part of the University of Southampton, the 1st when it was at St Mary's Tech College and the radar at East Park Terrace.
Dick Moody is still in Southampton and I see him once a year when we attend the Radio Officers' Association AGM(get-together).
Peter Hatcher died fairly recently and so did 'Johnny' Jonestone.

Clive Puttock
8th October 2011, 17:44
A few additional bits of info for you: It was Dick Moody ( still living in Southampton). Johnny Johnstone and the irishman who was on the salvage tugs was Frank Mahon.... The 'other' lecturer was Peter Hatcher....

You're correct - had agreat time there doing my conversion to General. Good guys - no bull**it. Thanks mate

Clive Puttock
ex GKA