Where do you store your pics?

Lifeboat1721
16th March 2007, 19:34
You may or may not Know but if you Store your pics under My pics on a pc, that if you have a Major problem and have to reinstall Windows you will lose anything Stored in My pics,Music and Documents.

I have my hard drive formatted into two and I keep all my pics and music on the second drive, I also use an external hard drive as a Backup.

Regards Ian

quietman
16th March 2007, 19:58
Personally I copy all documents etc on to either disc or better still what I call memory sticks think the proper name is flash drive. They are cheap and store thousands of photos

benjidog
16th March 2007, 20:01
A helpful warning to members Ian.

Check out this thread about backups and potential loss of all your photos. I most certainly do not recommend just relying on a second partition on a single hard drive as if the physical drive fails you will lose both partitions anyway.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4777

Regards,

Brian

treeve
17th March 2007, 01:55
To add to the warning ...
I NEVER use files marked "My" anything ...
They are accessible to anyone with a mind to do so.
My daughter's "My" files were completely deleted by a virus.
I always set up my own directories under C:
I wish I could delete the damn things but it ain't possible.

Hawkeye
17th March 2007, 02:14
I learnt that from bitter experance, now I back it all on either disk or flash drives.

newda898
17th March 2007, 19:10
When doing back-ups of photos etc, I always make two duplicate disks so that should the first fail there's less of a chance of the second failing too. Particularly when the disks are cheap as they generally become un-readable within a few years.

waimea
19th March 2007, 12:11
I have 17,000 images of ships dating back to the 1930's B&W and colour on medium and large format, 35 ml negs and slides. As I print them to order, I scan them and save them to an external hard drive. CDs are not archival and will eventually deteriorate with use, especially the colour. You should be able to load about 25,000 images scanned at 3-400 on a 80 gb hard drive. The advantage is that they are then easily accessable and if the negs or slides get damaged then the image is preserved. I now only have to worry where they should go on my demise.

marinero
19th March 2007, 14:35
You can also store them online on Googles Servers using a free programme called Picasa. That way you will never lose them. I don't know how much storage space is available though.
Regards
(Thumb)