Capt. Kopec

Palmship
18th March 2007, 13:42
Hi All, anyone know the current whereabouts of Jan Kopec? Dad was wondering the other day so thought I'd try to find out. Graham

lakercapt
18th March 2007, 16:42
Sailed with him when he was chief officer.
Polish by birth but we thought he was a real a*** that treated us lesser mates like something that crawled from under a rock.
Never socialized with us and the only time he spoke to you was to issue orders. Not good memories of that fellow.

barrypriddis
19th March 2007, 01:07
Janek Kopec was Master of Lagos Palm in1965 when I joined her for my first trip. I understand he could be unforgiving, but for apprentices he was a wonderful man. In all I probably sailed with him for 2 years, on occasion with his wife, and I have the highest regard for him.

Christopher Roberts
23rd March 2007, 13:41
I sailed with Jan Kopec as a junior engineer-can't remember the year or the ship I'll have to consult my Discharge book

slick
23rd March 2007, 14:33
All,
Kopec's reputation within Palm Line was awful!!
I was there for two years.
Yours aye,
Slick

lakercapt
23rd March 2007, 15:09
All,
Kopec's reputation within Palm Line was awful!!
I was there for two years.
Yours aye,
Slick

Yes Slick he had a very bad reputation and I got transferred from two ships to get away from him.
As he gave us lesser mates a hard time when on night cargo watch it was our intention to get back at him.
Especially when his wife was on board. Called him up on the telephone on the slightest pretext as many times during the night as possible. Never made even the slightest descision and it drove him mad.
Not mad enough as he was made up to master after I left. Feel sorry for any mates he had with him.
This person never knew the names of the people that worked for him and adressed you by your rank i.e. second mate or third mate or fourth mate.
Course we recipricated by calling him "mate" which he did not like.
Course the captains only adressed you as Mister and it would have taken thumbscrews to find out if they knew your first name.
Because of these encounters I always adressed my crew by their first name and knew their wife's and childrens names.
Guess we became more civilized.
When I obtained my "masters certificate" i was offerred a 1st mates position but by them I had had enough of the "West Coast".
Palm line was on section "A" and I returned until I had all my certificates.
Bill

lakercapt
23rd March 2007, 18:49
Janek Kopec was Master of Lagos Palm in1965 when I joined her for my first trip. I understand he could be unforgiving, but for apprentices he was a wonderful man. In all I probably sailed with him for 2 years, on occasion with his wife, and I have the highest regard for him.

Glad you had such positive memories of him. You must be a small fan club!!!
Did the Palm line change policies as when I sailed with them they had cadets and not apprentices.
Regards
Bill

mclean
23rd March 2007, 19:04
Glad you had such positive memories of him. You must be a small fan club!!!
Did the Palm line change policies as when I sailed with them they had cadets and not apprentices.
Regards
Bill

A good friend of mine Dave Else served his apprenticeship with Palm Line 1957/61.

barrypriddis
24th March 2007, 12:38
Bill
Yes I do have good memories of Janek. Yes he did refer to others as Mr Mate or second mate etc, but that was just his way.
I learnt an awful lot from him, admired him, and am grateful to him.
This obviously does not agree with your experiences of him, but I respect your opinions and your right to express them..
Barry

Palmship
25th March 2007, 17:29
I met Capt Kopec a couple of times when picking up Dad from the Lobito Palm, fortunately only had good experiences as did Dad, I even did a coastal voyage with them. I heard he could be "awkward", however, I believe he and Dad had a mutual respect and got on well together

lakercapt
25th March 2007, 18:05
Palmship
I see by your age you were just born on my last trip (Kano Palm) with Palm line so I imagine you were very young when you met Jan Kopec and never sailed with him.
It must be remembered I am talking as a person that sailed with him and also worked for him hence I have a very differant perspective.
What did you Dad do as I might have sailed with him.
Dave Else I do remember vaguely but thought he was a cadet!
Bill

Palmship
29th March 2007, 18:45
Hi Bill, Dad is Adrian Hobbins, he was 1st Mate when he sailed with Capt. Kopec, and I was about 14 when I met him.

bobjones
29th March 2007, 20:55
I was agent at Tilbury and at first found hime frightening but he certainly mellowed with age and have to say was quite friendly at the end.
Certainly remember Adrian Hobbins as Ch Off but cannot remember if he
had command with Palm Line

Great Days though

Bob

Palmship
31st March 2007, 15:47
Hi Bob, Dad finished his days with Palm Line as Master of the Matadi, technically the last seagoing Master in the fleet as he took her to Spain where she became the Modesty.

Christopher Roberts
5th April 2007, 12:59

Hi Barry I sailed with Jan Kopec on the Katsina Palm between May 1964 and Dec 1964 as an engineer he seemed a fair type of person

PIP
14th June 2007, 22:04
Yeah, I was with Kopec on Lagos Palm as engineer cadet. The Blue Rinse Kid was chief and Eric Adinall was the second, they were poart bof the Marmalade men, anyone remember them?

Christopher Roberts
19th June 2007, 12:57
Hi Pip - who the hell is the blue rinse kid - as fall as Eric Adinall is concerned if he wore glasses and was a gordie then I sailed with him

stan mayes
19th June 2007, 16:23
Three months ago Palmship asked the whereabouts of Captain Kopec and to date there has been no reply to that..I knew Eric Addinal as a very nice person...
and who is the Blue Rinse Kid ?
Anybody remember one of the best -Rod Dominy 3rd 2nd and Chief Officer through the 1970s -and the worst ,C/O Terry Horswood ?
Kind regards to your Dad Graham

stan mayes
19th June 2007, 16:46
Graham I apologise for not including your father in my comments of best and worst .Captain Adrian Hobbins was a very sociable and competent Officer and well liked in the Company..
Another who deserves recognition is Captain Bernard Edwards ...
He left Palm Line as Chief Officer to join United Arab Co and was soon a Master in the company ,He served in that capacity for 16 years and began writing maritime books while at sea ...On retirement he continued writing and has published many excellent and informative books on maritime subjects...

davidsheridan
20th June 2007, 21:49
sailed as 2/o with cap kopec in 1979 with nigerian far east line on d.f.fajemirokun(ex eac sienna).he was a bit lost afterwe passed cape town on route to china.used to bring my wife a cold drink every afternoon but never brought me one .with him for 7 months .he must have mellowed.kept trying to turn us all in to nigerians.

R58484956
14th August 2007, 19:31
Barry your comments on the governors is interesting. ( profile)

storybooks
14th August 2007, 21:59
Dear Barry. I can see that our opinions of Captain Kopec are at the opposite ends of the scale and, as you say, we are all entitled to our views BUT, if I did cause offence to others on this site by my comments then I sincerely apologise to anyone who took offence. That was certainly not my intention and they were not aimed at any individual, merely a general indication of my great dislike of the man.

lakercapt
15th August 2007, 02:45
Dear Barry. I can see that our opinions of Captain Kopec are at the opposite ends of the scale and, as you say, we are all entitled to our views BUT, if I did cause offence to others on this site by my comments then I sincerely apologise to anyone who took offence. That was certainly not my intention and they were not aimed at any individual, merely a general indication of my great dislike of the man.

Must say that I agree with your comments about that person (see my earlier postings)
Even your memory tries to remember the good times and supress the bad but I do not have one good memory of him when he was 1st mate (chief officer) and when he got the masters position I have a great deal of sympathy for all that sailed with him.
We are all entitled to our opinions and if people are hurt by my posting please understand that I have toned down my true feelings and will not express them here.
Bill

barrypriddis
15th August 2007, 10:31
Storybooks, Bill, Ron
Thanks for your varied comments. If I am seen to be robust about comments regarding Captain Kopec, then I apologise. He was a man whom I admired and had a great deal of respect for. That does not make him perfect, nor does it mean that my opinion is widely accepted. Perhaps I am just too sensitive?
Storybooks, I look forward to seing any information regarding the Elmina palm's collision off Dakar.
Barry

storybooks
15th August 2007, 12:06
I'll dig out the info on the Elmina as soon as I can, Barry, but it's awful dark in my attic! Do I start another thread?

K urgess
15th August 2007, 13:27
Probably best, Storybooks.
It's a different subject and would be easier to search if in it's own thread.

Kris

cacique
29th August 2007, 00:54
Blue Rinse Kid was Chief Engineer Bill Chisholm ? Kind Regards. David Wilson.

ccurtis1
30th August 2007, 11:14
I sailed briefly with capt Kopek around the land when he relieved Pat Grimason. Seemed OK. Any idea what became of Cap Grimason? I sailed on Africa Palm, With Cap Tommy Rylance, Ch.Off wobbly Bob Ellsmoor, Ch Eng Pete Smith and 2nd Engineer Sam Smith. Sailed about a year on Katsina Palm, Cap, Pat Grimason, Ch.Off Dave Bramham, Chief Eng Arthur Olivier and 2nd Eng, George Redford. Many of you will recall my older brother, Ch.Eng Bert Curtis, who was with the Palm Line about 22 years. Sadly he is no longer with us. I have great memories of Palm Line in the brief period I was with them. Some of the names mentioned evoke fond memories. Cyril (Sid) Routledge,Hughie Bunker, Jack Barkly, Russ Davidson, John T Morley, Kenny Bowman, Teddy Landsdown (deep tanks full of green pea soup), Buckie Thompson. The list goes on.(A)

Russell K Stubbs
3rd September 2007, 16:15
I did one trip as second mate with Jan Kopec and I must agree with the majority here, he was a most difficult man to get along with, but I managed to survive by just doing my job and keeping my head down However, I found that Capt George Alston was altogether a different kettle of fish. I did one trip with him on the Matadi Palm, and that was enough for me. We hated each other on sight and I couln't wait to pay off

R58484956
3rd September 2007, 19:23
Welcome Russell to SN. Enjoy the site and thank you for signing on. Bon voyage.

cacique
4th September 2007, 00:24
Hi Russel, long long time - last time I remember was having a beer in the old Mish within Tilbury Docks.

You hit the nail right on the head with Gallstones ! You did a complete trip, I only did half of one and paid off in Santos.

Kind Regards. David Wilson.

scottie dog
4th September 2007, 14:14
I sailed briefly with capt Kopek around the land when he relieved Pat Grimason. Seemed OK. Any idea what became of Cap Grimason? I sailed on Africa Palm, With Cap Tommy Rylance, Ch.Off wobbly Bob Ellsmoor, Ch Eng Pete Smith and 2nd Engineer Sam Smith. Sailed about a year on Katsina Palm, Cap, Pat Grimason, Ch.Off Dave Bramham, Chief Eng Arthur Olivier and 2nd Eng, George Redford. Many of you will recall my older brother, Ch.Eng Bert Curtis, who was with the Palm Line about 22 years. Sadly he is no longer with us. I have great memories of Palm Line in the brief period I was with them. Some of the names mentioned evoke fond memories. Cyril (Sid) Routledge,Hughie Bunker, Jack Barkly, Russ Davidson, John T Morley, Kenny Bowman, Teddy Landsdown (deep tanks full of green pea soup), Buckie Thompson. The list goes on.(A)

ccurtis1
Remember your brothet Bert well, He was C/E on several vessels I was on from Jnr engineer to third engineer, had a real Knack for "swinging the lamp"
Real nice guy sad that he is no longer with us.
Also sailed with George Redford when he was Ch.Eng, anyone know of his whereabouts is he still around ??
Regards
Mike

ccurtis1
4th September 2007, 15:23
Thanks Scottie Dog. Our kid really was a canny lad. After Palm Line he did a couple of years with Ecuador Fruit Carriers, visiting the south Pacific islands, including New Zealand and Pitcairn. He realised what I had been telling him for years, that there was more to life than the west African coast. His widow has lots of Palm bulletins , which I can scan if any one still interested. Remember these names, C/E Jack Richardson, Elec Cliff Hutchinson, 2E Mike Fortune, C/E Lenny Parr, PCS Bob Aitchison, the smashing grotty Billy Marsh (purser), PCS Adrian Hall-Fletcher, C/O John Pugh, the son of Pug 'H', Byker Bill the pig farmer (for the life of me I cannot recall his name), Murdo Mckenzie, and the Superintendant whom I'm sure had hollow legs,considering the sherbets he could put away, John Fotheringham. I repeat, happy days indeed.
Colin

scottie dog
4th September 2007, 18:02
Thanks Scottie Dog. Our kid really was a canny lad. After Palm Line he did a couple of years with Ecuador Fruit Carriers, visiting the south Pacific islands, including New Zealand and Pitcairn. He realised what I had been telling him for years, that there was more to life than the west African coast. His widow has lots of Palm bulletins , which I can scan if any one still interested. Remember these names, C/E Jack Richardson, Elec Cliff Hutchinson, 2E Mike Fortune, C/E Lenny Parr, PCS Bob Aitchison, the smashing grotty Billy Marsh (purser), PCS Adrian Hall-Fletcher, C/O John Pugh, the son of Pug 'H', Byker Bill the pig farmer (for the life of me I cannot recall his name), Murdo Mckenzie, and the Superintendant whom I'm sure had hollow legs,considering the sherbets he could put away, John Fotheringham. I repeat, happy days indeed.
Colin

Cliff,
I remember Cliff Hutch and Mike fortune, Supers in my time were Dennis Way and Gerry Batt.
West Africa although repetitive could be fun at times.
Would love to see some of the old bulletins, please pass on my regards to Berts widow (was her name Betty??)
Regards
Mike

stan mayes
4th September 2007, 18:22
Hello Colin,
Some well known [and liked ] names from the past there..
Of John Fotheringham...An incident on LAGOS PALM.
The steel tween deck lids on hinges were raised and secured to the coamings when cargo was worked from lower holds...
Dockers were discharging logs from No 4 lower,a log struck a lid causing it to fall into the lower hold onto logs..the dockers went home..
We riggers worked through the night using derricks and reinstalled the lid..
John supervised the job from the officers bar..
We finished at dawn and John brought two cases of Tennants into the messroom and sat enjoying it with us... he was a very nice person...
Of Byker Bill - was his name Jackson ?
Stan.

stan mayes
4th September 2007, 18:33
A very happy birthday to Billy Dillon today..
Fancy some palmchop for Main Course ?
Best wishes Stan..

ccurtis1
4th September 2007, 20:01
Scottie dog you are correct, our kids wdow is Betty and she will be delighted to know that he is remembered with affection. I will of course pass on your kind regards. I think though that Denis Way was Personnel head honcho and not superintendant. Was there a C/E called Kenny Roberts? An absolute gentleman from Merseyside or am I in a different company. One or two other names to conjure with; Derek Crosbie elect, mad Mervyn Crosby an Ulsterman,and we had a cadet on the Katsina, son of a Tilbury stevedore, because he was so blond an fair, suffered terribly on the coast< Les Hemmerman? Not sure of the name but a smashing lad. George Redford & Russ Davidson were my best mates in those halcyon days.
Colin

stan mayes
4th September 2007, 21:25
Colin,the cadet from Tilbury was Keith Hammerman and I believe he was a Chief Officer when Palm ceased trading..
Sadly his older brother who was an AB in a Federal liner,lost his life in a cabin fire while in a New Zealand port..

gadgee
4th September 2007, 21:44
I found that Capt George Alston was altogether a different kettle of fish. I did one trip with him on the Matadi Palm, and that was enough for me. We hated each other on sight and I couln't wait to pay off

Russel

Not a Palm Line man myself but noticed your comments on Captain George Alston. He was the RNLI Lifeboat Secretary at Seahouses, Northumberland, UK when I met him. I was the Coastguard Officer in Charge there from 1986 to 1997 and consequently we worked closely. I have PM'd you about our association! . As far as I know he still lives there but was only with the RNLI for a few years. Came from the Borders.

ccurtis1
4th September 2007, 22:03
Aye Stan you are correct. Kieth Hammerman. On that trip on the Katsina, he gave us all cause for concern, but Cap Grimason and C/O Dave Bramham 'nursed' him through his ordeal.

scottie dog
4th September 2007, 23:35
Scottie dog you are correct, our kids wdow is Betty and she will be delighted to know that he is remembered with affection. I will of course pass on your kind regards. I think though that Denis Way was Personnel head honcho and not superintendant. Was there a C/E called Kenny Roberts? An absolute gentleman from Merseyside or am I in a different company. One or two other names to conjure with; Derek Crosbie elect, mad Mervyn Crosby an Ulsterman,and we had a cadet on the Katsina, son of a Tilbury stevedore, because he was so blond an fair, suffered terribly on the coast< Les Hemmerman? Not sure of the name but a smashing lad. George Redford & Russ Davidson were my best mates in those halcyon days.
Colin

Colin,
Kenny Roberts, remembered well! again I sailed with him several times, I was on the new Bamenda Palm with him, he had his wife onboard when heard he had become a Granda.
As you say a "gent"
Colin didn't Bert live at "Shiny Row" whereabouts are you? when Im home I stay in Cramlington (used to live South Shields before that).
Do you know if Mike Fortune is still around ??
Mike

scottie dog
4th September 2007, 23:45
A very happy birthday to Billy Dillon today..
Fancy some palmchop for Main Course ?
Best wishes Stan..

"Palm Oil Chop" and "Pepper soup" wonderfull could go for a bowl of that now.
Mike

ccurtis1
5th September 2007, 09:47
Yes Mike, our kid did live in Shiney Row. Betty still lives there, and his 2 girls are close by. I live in Cleadon Village, where almost every second house is inhabited by retired Masters and Chiefs. Saw Mike Fortune fairly recently in South Shields market. He still lives around the college. Regarding Kenny Roberts, he was relieving around the land when he lost his temper for the one and only time. Party on board in Avonmouth on Katsina, and mad Melvyn Crosby trying to impress a nurse, closed a stopped generator breaker on to the switchboard. Inevitable blackout and chaos ensued, and the guards on the dock gates reckoned they could hear the Chief venting his spleen.

Peter (Pat) Baker
5th September 2007, 13:21
ccurtis1,

In a recent post you mentioned Murdo McKenzie.
Sometime between 1957 and 1959 I sailed with a Murdo McKenzie, a junior Engineer in Palm Line.
Would this be the same guy that you referred to?
Peter (Pat) Baker.

stan mayes
5th September 2007, 14:15
Hello Pat,
Murdo McKenzie was a Senior Electrician from mid1960s as I remember..
Other Electricians not yet mentioned -John McAllister - Kenny Bowman -Bob Metcalfe - Brian Vincent - Bob Rankin - Norman Moat - Andy? Kenevin - Mike Kelly - and not forgetting a character 3rd Engineer John McGurran...

ccurtis1
5th September 2007, 14:34
hi stan
My word you evoke some memories there with the senior leckies. Murdo was of course senior leckie from the Kyles of Lochalsh. One of the PCS's would keep referring to him as Murdoch and no persuasion on Murdo's part could get him to change. John McAllister was from Colonsay (tel.no, Colonsay 3 in those days) Palm Line had to give John about two weeks notice to join ships, because of the remoteness of the island, smashig lad, very quietly spoken. Going back to the PCS with Murdo I think the PCXS had been a rear gunner on bombers during WW2. Quite a hero. Anybody recall?

ccurtis1
5th September 2007, 15:45
Hi Stan, me again,
Don't recall John McGurran but wern't all of the 3rd Engineers characters in those days. Most had been Junior 2/E's for years with the company and the 12 to 4 must have had some effect. Remember Tommy Kempster, Russ Davidson (who carried around a barrel of beer with him, all inside his tum!!!!)and Matty Roberts? We had a 2nd leckie on the Katsina, a real good friend who died tragically at only 22 of a brain haemorhage, Phil Robson. Phil was walking out with Viv Patterson, the daughter of Maurice Patterson an ex pat in Lagos who spent more time on Palm Line Ships, than the old man. Also in Lagos, anyone recall Harry the diver another lad who spent his time propping up the bar on visiting ships? Snior Leckie Sid Routledge and his 42 feet of luxury(his words) his caravan home in Avon, Who could ever forget Kenny Bowman? Cant recall which ship, perhaps John T Morley can help.

scottie dog
5th September 2007, 17:23
Stan/Colin
There was two 3/E one called Kenny Bolan and one Kenny Bowman.
I think it was Kenny Bowman whom always shaved with a "cut throat" razor, I asked him one day how he managed to get a big scar on the end of his nose.
His answer : his nose became itchy whilst shaving so he swiped it with his razor!
Also remember Bob Rankin and Mike Kelly.
John McGurran I met only once (thank goodness) when I was Junior engineer.
Mike

ccurtis1
5th September 2007, 17:54
Hi Mike
Sent you an email today, hop you recieved it. Kenny Bowman was the cut throat razor merchant but senior leckie at the time I was there but I do recall from somewhere in the dark distant past that Ken did change over to be a 'proper' engineer.(bet that comment sets feathers aflying)
colin

stan mayes
5th September 2007, 23:03
Mike - Scottie Dog and Colin,
You may wonder how I became so familiar with many Palm People?
From early 1957 to the demise of Palm Line I worked all their ships in Tilbury in charge of a gang of riggers..
Every morning I bought newspapers and fresh milk to the officers and engineers - on order of course...Consequently friendship developed..
I knew many of you from junior ranks through to senior positions and we all had a wonderful working relationship..
I held a crane drivers licence,useful when storing ships [thousands of cases of Tennants and drums of lager were put aboard by me] and I also lifted countless numbers of liners and heads through engineroom skylights...Ask Don Scully - Eric Addinall - Colin Bennie- Coulson - John Matthews - George Quick - Jim Smith,what a very nice person he was! -Ken Roberts - Tom Pattinson - Alan Walton - Len Parr - all very nice Palm People...
Regards Stan..

stan mayes
5th September 2007, 23:22
Mike - A postscript.
You mentioned Cramlington in a posting..
Chief Steward Jim Rutherford of Palm Line lived there ...Stan....

scottie dog
6th September 2007, 00:25
Stan/ Colin
Few more names after seeing Ceng Colin Bennie Coulson mentioned.

My first trip with Palm line as Jnr was on the Ibadan Palm:
CPT Normon Alexandra, C/O Ian Mclean, 2/0 Roger Hay???
C/E Bennie Coulson, 2E Dave Trotter, 3/E John McGurran replaced by Greame Powell
4/E Ken Hogan
Snr Electrician Alex McKenzie thro a bit of a wobbler and had to be replaced.
Jnr Leky Paul ???
C.Steward Howard Spittle.

Ian Mclean lost the end of a finger that trip and a 19 yr old AB fell down a hatch to his death and was burried in Banjul

scottie dog
6th September 2007, 00:29
Mike - A postscript.
You mentioned Cramlington in a posting..
Chief Steward Jim Rutherford of Palm Line lived there ...Stan....

Stan
Yes`I remember Jim Rutherford didn't know he belonged Cramlington.
3/E Ray Innes used to belong Cramlington, emigrated many years ago to Oz.

ccurtis1
6th September 2007, 10:37
Hi Stan,
Jimmy Smith is fit and well in sunny South Shields. Jim was known as the vicar and agree a thoroughly nice man. When Scottiedog returns home we are trying to get together any old Palmliners in the north east, for a sort of mini re-union.
colin

cacique
6th September 2007, 11:30
Colin, great to hear that Jimmy is fit and well, the "vicar" really fits - bronzeying on the monkey island in the afternoon, Jimmy came up there and tutted and shook his head, "If God had wanted you to be 'a shade darker' he would have left you in the oven a bit longer." Kind Regards. David Wilson.

cacique
6th September 2007, 11:33
Stan the Man.

You not only brought milk and newspapers, but a smile and always time for everyone on board.

What of Les "Tilbury" Thompson ?

Kind Regards. David Wilson. (ex "Lobito Palm" & "Apapa Palm" when they were in and out of Tilbury).

cacique
6th September 2007, 11:41
Colin,
You say that you have access to some old Palm Bulletins, there is another thread "Palm Bulletins" - perhaps you might scan them and post them under that thread. I am going to do the same with those that I have. Many Thanks + Kind Regards. David Wilson.

stan mayes
6th September 2007, 14:02
Very kind words from you David,and pleasing to know that my little favours were appreciated...
As you are aware Les "Tilbury" Thompson served in many Palm ships through the years and like so many of you loyal Palm People he was devastated with demise of that company..
He went into P&O ferries for a few years and I last heard he was still around..
Were you in APAPA PALM at time of Bosun Colin Towse and Handyman Dick Cracknell?
Kind regards Stan

cacique
6th September 2007, 14:32
Thanks Stan,"Lobito Palm" with Capt. Salvidge, C/O George Morris, 2/O Hamish McGowan, R/O Monty, PCS Bob Aitchison, 2nd Steward Paddy Neary, C/E Bob Donaldson, 2/E Jim Alexander, 3/E Dennis Reardon, Lecky John McAlister, Bosun George Matthews, Chippy Billy Hall, Dicj Cracknell, etc.
"Apapa Palm" more recent but my long term memory is better - Colin Towse and Big Dick were there. Kind Regards. David Wilson.

ccurtis1
6th September 2007, 15:50
david wilson and stan
Palm bulletinsvol23 no2;vol16 no2;vol23no1;vol25no1;vol24no2;vol22no2(2 copies). Vol 16no2 will really interest you Stan as it shows a reunion of old palm line masters,C/E, CPO's etc in Liverpool in 1976 aboard Africa Palm. Our kids widow also has lent me abook, 'Palm Line: The coming of age, 1949 to 1970. Absolutely fascinating and some grand pictures. She has lots of memorabilia including pennants and 'T' shirts. Also she has lots more bulletins in the loft which my niece is going to dig out. I'm brand new to this computer vlark so it may take some time to scan and send,
colin

stan mayes
6th September 2007, 17:42
Hello David,
I remember George Matthews and Billy Hall being in LOBITO PALM,I think they went there from 5 years together in IBADAN PALM.
I sailed with Captain Salvidge during the war .He was 2nd Officer in NERITINA - Anglo Saxon tanker on maiden voyage 7 Dec 1943 to 1 May 1944.
I was recently in contact with his son who told me sadly he had crossed the bar..
Hello Colin,
I have a few odd copies of Palm Bulletins but none of Volume 16..
I also have Palm Line - The coming of age 1949 to 1970 - as you say it is very good...I also have Palm Line by Laurence Dunn which has excellent photos of every ship owned by the company..
Of the reunions,we riggers had to make sure the ship was presentable with an early morning washdown etc.. It was a pleasure to see them chatting and reliving their times at sea...
Stan..

PollY Anna
7th September 2007, 10:18
Hi Cacique

I sailed with Captain Salvidge on the Elmina I found him fair, but tough and my logging disappeared at the end of the trip which was much appreciated.

Story had it that he was another skipper who came up the hawse pipe, but I never had it confirmed.

1st Mate was H Burn, 2nd Mate J McParland, 3rd Mate J Charlton 4th Mate R Crump The famous (in Palm Line) Bosun J Broadfoot. The Eng. room was covered by the following officers Chief R Donaldson, Snr 2nd D Scully, Jnr 2nd P Carley, Snr 3rd I Ingram Jnr 3rd J Stavert, Jnr 4th N Dunn. The Elec's were Snr J Foulkes Jnr A Halliday Purser A Adams and Ch Std. J Wilkinson.

Just for the record it was Feb 63 to May 63.

Some of you guys might even be on this site.

Regards Ron

lakercapt
7th September 2007, 14:11
Capt Savage did indeed come up the hawse pipe as I sailed with him when he was mate on the old Matadi Palm.
Anyway guys has th thread not got a little off track as it was orginally about Kopec and his where abouts.
Guess he would be in his late 70,s if still alive
Bill

ccurtis1
8th September 2007, 20:12
hello Stan, This photograph should bring back some memories, I met most of these Officers when I was on the Katsina as I never went home for about a year and did the tours around the land, and they were the relieving crowd. Regards, Colin. I promise not to post any more threads unrelated to Cap Kopek.

Bill Davies
8th September 2007, 20:54
Do any of you Palm Line members remember Trevor W. Conlan. He may have been mate but left and became Master with Nigerian National. Trevor passed away about 6 years ago after spending the final 20 years of his working life as a Pilot in Jebel Dhanna (UAE)

stan mayes
8th September 2007, 22:51
Thankyou for the photo Colin,I recognise most of them ..
Captain G C Williams was a Director at time of photo..He was Chairman of Palm Line when they ceased trading..
Were you on KATSINA when her officers bar was gutted by fire?
She came to Tilbury and Ron Clayton was Chief Steward though he may have been relieving ....The relieving Chief Officer was Keith Hope..
Regards Stan.

slick
9th September 2007, 07:05
Thank you for the 'photo, although I was only with Palm Line a Dog Watch I sighted and recognized Captain Everall immediately.
Yours aye,
John Kelly
4th. Officer MV Badagry Palm 1963-64

ccurtis1
9th September 2007, 11:14
Hello Stan, No I wasn't on the Katsina when she had her fire, must have been after my time. Chief Eng sailing was little Arthur Olivier a Sri Lankan by birth and a smashing fellow. Pat Grimason was the sailing Master. On this vessel when I sailed with Jan Kopek around the land (see I got a mention in). Other characters I've not seen mentioned on any of the Palm threads Bogey (is that correct) Jonson, Tommy Rylance, and Maureeeeeece, (what he was, can' recall but French or Belgian). Surprised you dont recall my older brother, he was chief Eng a long time and was there, right to the end of Palm Line. Kind regards, Colin

stan mayes
9th September 2007, 13:39
Hello Colin,
Of course I remember your brother,he was a regular for a newspaper and milk and was a very nice person..I did not mention his name as he and others were already in postings..Arthur Olivier I remember also...
Who can forget Mauriiiiiiiiice Cantin? I think he was a Swiss-French....
He was Acting Master at time of the disposal of ANDONI PALM to Greeks in Tilbury Docks in 1976...
I worked on ANDONI PALM from her arrival on 22nd Oct to 10th Nov 1976 when the Greek crew took over - she sailed next day...
The Greek Master and Chief Engineer boarded the ship a week before the sale was finalised and the Master had to use the C/O s cabin..Maurice refused to let him into the Masters quarters as he was using it..
Only Maurice,Chief Steward Keith McMahon ,2nd Engineer,a Nigerian donkeyman and a Nigerian cook were on the ship during the last week..
Before the Greeks arrived,Maurice presented me with the ships large Red Ensign and I treasure it...
ANDONI PALM sailed from Tilbury for the last time on 11th November 1976.
Her new name was MASTROMANOLIS and she went to Antwerp and loaded a cargo of silversand for Piraeus..
She was sold for $800,000..
Regards Stan...

stan mayes
9th September 2007, 14:44
The Red Duster from ANDONI PALM...
In 2000,the Merchant Navy were at last recognised and were granted an official Merchant Navy Day on 3rd September..
On 25th August 2000 [the 58th Anniversary of sinking of my ship VIKING STAR ..Captain Mills and seven crew were killed] I went to Civic Centre Gravesend and asked if Merchant Navy Day would be recognised by having the Red Ensign flying ...On being told it would not be recognised I said Gravesend was a Maritime Heritage town.. More than 70,000 seamen were trained in Gravesend Sea School through the years..
I argued to no avail so went to a friend at " Gravesend Messenger" Alan Watkins...He phoned the Civic Center and when they confirmed what I had told him he became very angry as he had lost a relative in the sinking of a ship during the war..
An hour later Alan phoned me at home and told me the Council had called a meeting and were recognising Merchant Navy Day..
Jokingly I said if they can't afford a Red Ensign they can borrow mine..A few minutes later I had a phone call from the Mayor's secretary asking for the loan of my ensign and to present it at Civic Center on !st September ..
I presented the ensign to the Mayor as arranged and we went to the top of the building and hoisted the Red Duster...
Now that Red Ensign is seen flying above Gravesend Civic Center every year on Merchant Navy Day..
I received congratulations from the then Chairman of the National Merchant Navy Association Derek Bristow OBE and in December,with much help from the Chairman of London Branch MNA Pat Curtis,I founded a branch here in Gravesend and we now have 40 members..
We are also members of Merchant Mariners...
KEEP that Red Duster flying !!!

Palmship
9th September 2007, 15:52
Hi All, well been reading and catching up on the thread, it does seem to have been hi-jacked somewhat, but not complaining it's nice to see all the reminiscences coming out, the one thing I've always wanted from the Palm people I came to know and love! Keep it up, please! Regards Graham

ccurtis1
10th September 2007, 19:07
hello Stan, what a great story about the flag. More power to your elbow. My dad was sunk in 1939, ship 'Ridley' off west Africa and picked up by armed trawler, landed in Freetown and took a captured French Liner to Canada. His pay stopped when vessel went down. Even now the MN doesnt get the recognition it deserves. Regards, Colin

ccurtis1
10th September 2007, 19:55
I apologise you guys, I should not have posted last posting under Capt Kopek. It will not happen again. ccurtis1

stan mayes
10th September 2007, 21:14
Hello Colin,
I feel I have also been posting in the wrong thread .
A suggestion please as to another thread..
Stan.

palmoil chop
11th September 2007, 18:03
..........and leave this thread, which is getting to be the length of a doubling wire. I just wanted to add my half-pennyworth before it closes. I should've pitched in before, my good friend Stan Mayes must be wondering where I went after he introduced me to this site. Let's just say, do remember where you've written down your username & password !!

I see from my discharge book that I spent two voyages on the APAPA PALM with Jan Kopec. No problems as I had the advantage of him, I was new to Palm so he didn't know me from old and I knew the ship. So he kept to the bridge and left the deck to me. He had the nerve to say that my surname 'wasn't very English' so for the second voyage I brought my ancestor's Waterloo Medal inscribed with his (and my) names to prove that our family had at least 130 years of British nationality over the Kopecs.

I knew that he had history but not the details. When he'd left Palm he was on Apapa Quay with an old EAC ship under the Nigerian flag. I saw him on the quay and invited him back for a beer or two. He also asked if I'd 'dash' him a nice hot shower. No problem, off he went but Bobby Vinton gave me a major bollocking the next morning and refused to allow JSK on board again.

My first Palm voyage was a 4-month marathon on the IBADAN PALM with George Alston and a Scouse crew. So that was a jolly experience. But I reckon that Palm got off lightly in terms of monsters in command. I could still willingly strangle some I sailed with in P&O and Blue Flue. A good indicator of a potential villain was a Blue Ensign flying aft !

It's been great to follow this Palm thread. Now I must see if there are others to follow. Nobody seems to have mentioned it so I'll put in a quick 'commercial' for a recent treatment of Palm Line in a magazine that comes out three times a year called 'Ships in Focus : Record'. Lots of excellent photographs and a detailed account of the company in issues 35 (November 2006) and 36 (March 2007). Priced at 7.50 each and available from John Clarkson at either shipsinfocus@btinternet.com or on 0845 0760078.

stan mayes
11th September 2007, 20:58
Hello John,
Welcome,and yes I was wondering where you were..
There are other threads regarding Palm Line apart from this one of Captain Kopec and you will see many familiar names...
Dare I say it but you were one of the best so is no fear of you being involved in the Captain Kopec saga..I trust it is now ended..
Of your mention of the Palm Line history in Ships in Focus,my congratulations on your superb presentation of that fine company..
Regards Stan...

Steve Hillyard
19th September 2007, 20:32
I sailed with Capt Kopec as Deck Cadet on the Ikeja Palm Jan 75- May 75. I was with another Cadet Dave???
I also sailed with him as 3/O on the Africa Palm Nov 77- Feb 78. I got on well with him (although I seem to remember he wasn't one for electronic devices, such as Decca/Loran or even Radar). One vived memory I have as we were returning home, in the channel, in a winter storm,on the wing of the bridge his bretton style cap blew off into the ogin, I could not help but laugh and as I did i felt this whack across the back of my neck. I thought he had hit me, however it was a lump of ice/snow that had blown down from the mast above the bridge. It stoped me laughing and he returned back inside the wheelhouse with that broad smug grin of his.

Steve Hillyard

Ian H White
6th October 2007, 18:56
I remember when Capt Kopec joined Enugu. He came into the smoke lounge uninvited, marched up to Ch Elec Hughie Dop and announced that from then on "his tapped was stopped" I spent the rest of that trip smuggling lager into Hughies cabin via his porthole.

barrypriddis
7th October 2007, 16:49
Ian
Kopec would not have done that without reason
Barry

lakercapt
7th October 2007, 17:26
I remember when Capt Kopec joined Enugu. He came into the smoke lounge uninvited, marched up to Ch Elec Hughie Dop and announced that from then on "his tapped was stopped" I spent the rest of that trip smuggling lager into Hughies cabin via his porthole.

Would have thought that the more appropriate way would have been to call him to his cabin and tell him that and the reasons instead of the way it was said to be done.
That, alas was the way I experianced that person and I see he did not change according to Ian.
Never did hear what happened to him not that I honestly care but its been am interesting "thread"

Palmship
7th October 2007, 21:02
Well, I don't know what I expected when I asked the original question but I certainly didn't expect such strong emotions. Thanks to all for their contributions, though still not got an answer to the question, lol. I will add again, that there are no ill feelings from me for those people who have expressed their feelings, they are entitled to them and their opinions.
Regards Graham

Topherjohn
22nd February 2008, 11:34
I found that Capt George Alston was altogether a different kettle of fish. I did one trip with him on the Matadi Palm, and that was enough for me. We hated each other on sight and I couln't wait to pay off

Russel

Not a Palm Line man myself but noticed your comments on Captain George Alston. He was the RNLI Lifeboat Secretary at Seahouses, Northumberland, UK when I met him. I was the Coastguard Officer in Charge there from 1986 to 1997 and consequently we worked closely. I have PM'd you about our association! . As far as I know he still lives there but was only with the RNLI for a few years. Came from the Borders.
I'm a recent SN joiner, with Palm Line 1963 - 1970. Sailed numerous voyages as 2/O with Capt George Alston on Makeni Palm and Ilorin Palm. Often we didn't see eye to eye but that happens in life doesn't it? Maybe he took exception to my comment one day when I was on watch? A huge plume of dirty smoke announced a far off ship on the horizon. Putting the glasses to my eyes I said "Look sir, it's one of your Ben liners". He'd joined Palm Line from Ben Line and we'd got a bit sick of how he was always extolling their virtues. Doubtfully he replied "How can you tell Mr Clarke?" to which I replied something like "The smoke she's making sir"!
If you come across him again give him my kind regards. Remind him about his 2/O wearing khaki uniform on the bridge; I'm sure he'll remember the incident in which I'm afraid I rather upset his apple-cart! After my Masters I came ashore and worked in IT until retiring in 2003.
Kind regards - Chris

cacique
22nd February 2008, 23:35
Hughie Dop, another good shipmate, but sadly crossed the bar.

With a couple of old tape recorders we set up a "recording studio" and evenings were whiled away making our own onboard version of Dick Barton - Special Agent. Directed and produced by Hughie Dop and Tommy Atherton, usually the villain was a mafia ganster called Kopagnio !!

Kind Regards, David Wilson.

palmoil chop
24th February 2008, 14:24
Good to see George Alston being remembered by 'Old Palms'. He was Master of my first ship in Palm Line, IBADAN PALM, sailed from Liverpool early in 1977 for all ports West Africa on a 'sweeper' service. Of course George was mightily displeased at being on a cargo ship again and separated from his beloved tanker with its sleepy routine and docile Spanish crew off the Rotterdam pool. Here he had one of Merseyside's finest and, being pathologically averse to all Scousers, he took issue with me from the start. Ex.ED's and Blue Flue/Glen meant that he didn't care to be reminded that Ben were very much considered to be the 'incomers' in the Far East trade when he waxed lyrical about those ships. And, if that wasn't enough, I could come over all sniffy about Palm's penchant for wooden hatch boards and tarps, long replaced in Elders !! I did hear that he was active in the RNLI after Palm finished but I guess that's finished by now, he must be pushing four score years. Very proud of his Borders roots, as I recall, the family being big farmers and landowners. Which makes you wonder why he chose the sea. Also alarmingly fond of referring to himself in the third parson, as in 'Alston says...'. One small positive thing about him, he was always taking cine-film during that voyage, footage that I'd love to see again. I wonder if it survived ? Maybe some bold Geordie volunteer could travel up to Seahouses and find out ?

very best regards to all 'Old Palm's out there.

Topherjohn
24th February 2008, 17:05
Good to see George Alston being remembered by 'Old Palms'. He was Master of my first ship in Palm Line, IBADAN PALM, sailed from Liverpool early in 1977 for all ports West Africa on a 'sweeper' service. ............ One small positive thing about him, he was always taking cine-film during that voyage, footage that I'd love to see again. I wonder if it survived ? Maybe some bold Geordie volunteer could travel up to Seahouses and find out ?

very best regards to all 'Old Palm's out there.
For any "bold Geordie" contemplating your suggestion I notice GC Alston still listed in online BT directory at Seahouses! Incidentally
I have cine-film I took when steaming up the creeks to Sapele aboard Enugu or Ilorin Palm 1963 - 1969, including negotiating the Fork. This was burned onto CD with other family archive cine films a while back. If/when I can extract this sequence from the CD I hope to upload onto YouTube and insert a link on SN.

william dillon
24th February 2008, 22:11
Colin

(Thumb) Kenny Roberts, Chief Engr. Elmina Palm 1968-9, a gentleman(Thumb)

d crosby
2nd April 2013, 18:08
ccurtis1
Remember your brothet Bert well, He was C/E on several vessels I was on from Jnr engineer to third engineer, had a real Knack for "swinging the lamp"
Real nice guy sad that he is no longer with us.
Also sailed with George Redford when he was Ch.Eng, anyone know of his whereabouts is he still around ??
Regards
Mike

Hi Ccurtis, G .Redford is still about lives in north shields area I was talking to him not long ago, still the same guy.I think I sailed with you on the KATSINA. DEREK CROSBY elect. Just found this web site

slick
3rd April 2013, 08:02
All,
In amongst this thread is mention of Blue Ensigns, if memory serves me Captain Astbury used to sport one and the first thing he enquired about was 'Were you RNR?'
Were there any others?

Yours aye,

slick

ccurtis1
3rd April 2013, 09:53
Hi Ccurtis, G .Redford is still about lives in north shields area I was talking to him not long ago, still the same guy.I think I sailed with you on the KATSINA. DEREK CROSBY elect. Just found this web site

I remember you well Derek. The Katsina was probably the best time I had at sea. A smashing bunch of people all round. We had a mini re-union up here in the north east a couple of years ago which was well supported and a great afternoon had by all
Regards
Colin

ccurtis1
3rd April 2013, 09:55
All,
In amongst this thread is mention of Blue Ensigns, if memory serves me Captain Astbury used to sport one and the first thing he enquired about was 'Were you RNR?'
Were there any others?

Yours aye,

slick

I think Capt Pugh was RNR and always sailed with a PCS Andy ?????, who was also RNR, so enabling the flying of the "Blue Ensign"

chadburn
3rd April 2013, 10:00
All,
Were there any others?

Yours aye,

slick

It was/is? quite a protracted proceedure to obtain the Admiralty Warrant to fly the Blue Ensign as the permission is given to an individual rather than a vessel. In regard's to the Red Ensign it goes as far back as 1707 as the "Red Ensign of His Majesty's Fleet" as the National Flag of the British Merchant Fleet. When it comes to the flying Blue Ensign the vessel must be British Owned ( there will not be many flying now I suppose now). If the individual who hold's the Warrant goes on leave from the ship the Blue Ensign should be hauled down and replaced by the Red Ensign whilst he is not in "effective control". That is how it was.

Palmship
3rd April 2013, 11:29
PCS Andy Bryce, RNR. Great bloke too

slick
3rd April 2013, 11:34
All,
Thank you for the Blue Ensign information.
I remember hearing of the Captain's in dispute over who dipped to whom Blue to Red or Red to Blue?
I was in the Badagry Pam (63-64) with Trevor Sturmey 3/O Dave Clarke 3/E/O the Mate was Dewsbury(Sp) Derek Woods 2/O and pne of the Cadets was Errol Yon.
There was a El./O from East Ham who was he.
Although a lot of the names escape me I do know it was the happiest time of my seagoing life.
I had just come from 'tramps' the difference was phenomenal.

Yours aye,

slick

ccurtis1
3rd April 2013, 14:56
It was/is? quite a protracted proceedure to obtain the Admiralty Warrant to fly the Blue Ensign as the permission is given to an individual rather than a vessel. In regard's to the Red Ensign it goes as far back as 1707 as the "Red Ensign of His Majesty's Fleet" as the National Flag of the British Merchant Fleet. When it comes to the flying Blue Ensign the vessel must be British Owned ( there will not be many flying now I suppose now). If the individual who hold's the Warrant goes on leave from the ship the Blue Ensign should be hauled down and replaced by the Red Ensign whilst he is not in "effective control". That is how it was.

Was always led to believe, that there had to be at least one other RNR man on board apart from the "Old Man" hence Capt Pugh nearly always sailed with Andy Bryce

chadburn
3rd April 2013, 15:19
Was always led to believe, that there had to be at least one other RNR man on board apart from the "Old Man" hence Capt Pugh nearly always sailed with Andy Bryce

Andy, not as far as I am aware as the warrant is given to the person who applied for it, could be that Andy Bryce also had a warrant? When it comes to a defaced Blue Ensign then That is a different matter and other rules apply

stan mayes
3rd April 2013, 16:45
Captain 'Gunboat' Smith had a Blue Ensign when he had Ibadan Palm.
Andy Bryce was her Chief Steward - both were RNR.
Stan

ccurtis1
3rd April 2013, 17:09
Captain 'Gunboat' Smith had a Blue Ensign when he had Ibadan Palm.
Andy Bryce was her Chief Steward - both were RNR.
Stan

Stan, you are quite correct and I mistaken. It was indeed Capt Smith who was RNR
Kind regards
Colin

stan mayes
3rd April 2013, 19:22
Hi Colin,
I have just posted a photo of Capt.R.'Gunboat' Smith
In 'Life on board'
Best regards,
Stan