Longhope Lifeboat Disaster

wully farquhar
18th March 2007, 17:09
It was a very sad day here in Thurso 38 years ago today when the Thurso Lifeboat towed the Longhope lifeboat upside down into Scrabster Harbour in Caithness.As it was one of my first shouts in the Thurso lifeboat as a crewman it was one servise on the boat that i would like to forget,but the 18'th of March always has a place in my memory.

sandman
18th March 2007, 19:18
Wully It was a sad time for all,there is always one shout you never forget.

Derek Roger
18th March 2007, 20:49
Very sad Wully ; these thoughts never leave us .
My memory was of the Mona loss from Broughty Ferry . She was lost off Buddon where I was at a Army Cadet camp .
My uncle had a fish shop just up the road from the Lifeboat Station and being an ex Sea Captain himself knew all the hands very well .
All were lost and the Coswain was for some reason lashed to the wheel . As I recollect it was a very wild night and the Mona went out to a call from the Abertay Light Ship if my memory serves me well .
Derek
It still affects me to think of it .

Iain Crosbie
19th November 2007, 16:13
On one of my regular 'Google' searches for anything to do with my boat "Grace Paterson Ritchie" I came across this site (http://uk.msnusers.com/historyofskelmorlie/gracepatersonritchie.msnw) about Skelmorlie which has a section devoted to the boat, with some pictures of the naming ceremony.
Contained within this site are links to three BBC Radio Scotland broadcast excerpts about the loss of the TGB, and for anyone who (like me) has difficulty getting these to play, here is a transcript of a little bit, spoken by one of the crew (Dan Grieve?) of 70-002 as they made their way out to the "Irene"...

...when we came to the Mull, there was Billy Sinclair, myself and Ian Thomson in the wheelhouse. Ian was on the throttles, I was on the wheel, Billy was on the radar, and we were just off the Mull when the boat started to rise up, just like going up a steep hill, and we went up, and up and up and we never actually got to the top of the wave, we burst through it and the boat actually fell nine… we reckoned about nine seconds, and the powers that be reckoned that that sea was in the region of 120 feet. We went down on our knees in the wheelhouse thinking that the windows were going to come in, but nothing happened she went down and she just landed soft like a duck. We reckoned that this was the same sea that Dan and the Longhope boat must have hit down at Old Head...

A very scary story, told in a very quiet, matter-of-fact manner by one of the exceedingly brave men that went to sea that night.

Gulpers
19th November 2007, 16:41
Iain,

Were you aware that the Rev Donald Caskie who performed your boat's naming ceremony was the "famous" Tartan Pimpernel! (Thumb)

Lots on Google but a sample here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Caskie) from Wikipedia

KEMO
19th November 2007, 20:28
Hiya,
I do'nt know if any of you have come across this site:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/outlander/knightswood/longhope.htm

there are only a couple of photos but it's a very good model of T.G.B

Keith.

Iain Crosbie
20th May 2008, 20:47
Yes Gulpers, in fact I was given a photograph of 'himself' at the launch ceremony signed and sent by him to his nephew. I have also been given (by someone else) the original hand-drawn naming ceremony programme, so another couple of items to add to the growing archive!

Craig1128
21st June 2008, 00:42
My Grandad, Allan Taylor, was on watch at the Coastguard Station in Kirkwall when the Longhope Lifeboat crew were lost.

A terrible night.