Dame Caroline Haslett

Jacktar1
19th March 2007, 05:22
Trying to locate a photo of her. served on board as 2nd mate, on the Barry or Tyne to London Battersea or Fulham power stations.

zelo1954
19th March 2007, 05:54
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ship%20Picture%20Gallery%20A-J/D/slides/Dame%20Caroline%20Haslett%20(2).html

and

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ship%20Picture%20Gallery%20A-J/D/slides/Dame%20Caroline%20Haslett.jpg

ruud
19th March 2007, 09:04
Ahoy,
Also here seen,courtesy/©A.Duncan

nigelcollett
19th March 2007, 14:17
Hi Ruud

Another nice pic. You haven't come across a good one as a cable ship in your travels by any chance.

There is one in WSS book Gas & Electricity Colliers but doesnt scan up very well. Not on my scanner anyway.

Regards

NigelC

ruud
19th March 2007, 14:42
Ahoy Nigel,
Got the same book,tried to scan her as well,here the result;
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3040/damecarolinehaslett1950kf9.th.jpg (http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=damecarolinehaslett1950kf9.jpg)

Thamesphil
19th March 2007, 14:48
One was posted recently on shipspotting.com:

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=356091

Phil

nigelcollett
19th March 2007, 16:21
Hi Ruud/Phil

Ruud - You've either got a much better scanner than me or your tekneek is far superior. My copy didn't come out with a cloud in the sky.

Phil - Tks - Colour, no less. She really does look a Heath Robinson monstrosity (Speling never were ani gud). Also, that was a new site to me, will have to explore when the missus lets me have a bit more net allowance!

again, many thanks guys

Regards

NigelC

ruud
19th March 2007, 18:06
Ahoy Nigel,
I do have 2 ordinairy scanners All in One[Lexmark-HP]and 1 flatbedscanner[Canon],but mostly uses the HP,and indeed enhence the scans when needed with one of the photoprograms[ACDsee-Paint Shop Pro]depending old photos/books quality;but still learning every day to play around with these.(Thumb)

nigelcollett
19th March 2007, 19:17
Hi Ruud

Mine is a fairly ancient HP and I also have Paint Shop Pro which I and trying to work out.

Teacher - Him/Her say - Must try harder!

Regards

NigelC

Jacktar1
25th March 2007, 04:07
Many thanks everyone.

anthony lear
30th June 2007, 09:49
a bit delayed, but the attached is a photo of her during her conversion to a cable carrier
tony lear

oceancraft
29th September 2007, 13:23
A GA of this ship is available on this link:

http://www.aberdeenships.com/related.asp?searchFor=haslett&index=97159&shipid=101541

raymond lima
4th November 2007, 16:31
Hi there,I sailed in her from 27.09.57 to 01.11. 58. .She had a mainly Barry but some were from Cardiff.The captain was Richmond who lived in my home town of Barry.He was a good skipper,he died last year and he was in his 90's.I loved running to Dunston and drinking in the Cross Keys.I have also been trying to find photos of her ,but no luck.I was also on the Brimsdown & Fulham 9. I hope someone will come up with photos of the above ships.
Best Regards Ray Lima of Barry .

raymond lima
4th November 2007, 16:48
a bit delayed, but the attached is a photo of her during her conversion to a cable carrier
tony lear

Hi Tony, I was on her when she was converted. We were working out of Dover laying experimental cable.If ok they were going to lay a cable from Dungeness to France to exchange electricity at peak periods.Thanks for the photo it brought back memories because i was on board throughout conversion. Many thanks Ray Lima of Barry.

Jacktar1
6th November 2007, 03:02
Hi Raymond..........saw your post, I was sorry to hear that Capt. Richmond had passed on, I sailed with him on the Haslett as a young 2nd Mate in 1954, he was a great skipper and a gentleman. It was Barry to either Battersea or Fulham power stations, also from Dunston Staithes.....happy memories ! Sometimes if it was blowing SW 8-9 we would shelter in the Helford River before rounding Lands End for Barry. Going under those bridges on the Thames was fun, then sometimes having to wait for a berth would be tied up at Cheery Tiers (probably got that name wrong !) Am originally from Swansea, left there in 1981 for the Bahamas, since 84 have lived in Florida due to working on cruise ships. Hope to make it back home in the near future for the final years.
Cheers,
Glan

raymond lima
7th November 2007, 18:54
Hi Jacktar 1 , It was nice to hear from you and to remember old times.As you said Captain Richmond was a true gent. We were lucky having a Barry skipper
because we nearly always were on the Barry run.If we were waiting to go up river we would tie up on ' cherry garden piers' you almost got it right. I still remember the nights out in Dunston and I think that the Geordies are truly lovely people. I hope that you are enjoying life in Florida ,my sister moved to
Miami about 40 years ago and loves it there.Anyway thanks for replying and hope to hear from you again.
Best Regards Ray

Jacktar1
13th November 2007, 19:57
Hello Ray.....yes I remember those good old nights in Dunston, they tell me that Dunston Staithes are long gone. I left Swansea in 1980 to work as a pilot in the Bahamas and from 1984 to 1998 worked as skipper on cruise ships out of U.S. ports, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Singapore, a lot of fun but not as much as the good old days back home, all British crew and flying the old Red Ensign. When on the Haslett I used to get home from Barry but did the discharge in the Thames as the mate was a Londoner. Remember one occasion well, had a quick run home then train to Cardiff and the train to Barry, well the Barry train ran late, Capt Richmond held her in the locks so that I could make it back on board !
Trying to remember the pub that we all congregated in Barry ?
Lost my wife two and half years ago (she was also from Swansea), now hoping to get back to Wales for the final years if I can survive !
Best Wishes,
Glan

raymond lima
14th November 2007, 16:13
Hi Glan ,nice to hear from you .The pub in Dunston we used was the Crosskeys we always ended up there. My mate was on the Battersea and if they were in as well we would have a hell of a night. In Barry we used the pub called the Chainlocker , it was known all over the world. Once we signed on we would cash our advance note and head for the 'Locker'. I work parttime for a haulage company based on Barry Docks and nearly all the ships now have philopinos on them, the old merch has gone. I am sorry to hear that you lost your wife, mine died 9year ago, she was from Swansea it Bonymaen, they left there during the bombing when Llandarcy got hit and they never went back. Anyway Glan all the best and hope you get back to Wales ,there is always a welcome in Wales .
Best Wishes
Ray

Burned Toast
24th November 2007, 11:33
Anyone remember the name of the Water boat that used to run between Lampton drops and the bouys and Wearmouth staiths ? on the Sunny Wear.

Ray

wa002f0328
28th March 2008, 23:34
M.V. Waterlamp ?