Hamburg

trevor page
23rd March 2007, 22:50
Back in the mists of time I travelled up to Hamburg in the British Curlew, and I recall we past a point where they ran up your national flag, and played the national anthem of your country. Can anyone tell me where on the river did this take place and does it still. Regards Trevor

john shaw
23rd March 2007, 22:57
It was the Willkommhoeft-- "Welcome Point"-- a bit tacky I thought!

Willkommhöft - the means of greeting ships arriving or leaving the harbour in Hamburg is known by every sailor worth his salt! The place where all this happens is in the Schulauer Fährhaus in Wedel. Every ship with more than 500 BRT, is welcomed or discharged here in their own language over enormous loudspeakers. The country's national anthem is sung and the corresponding flag is hoisted. Additionally, visitors to the harbour are informed of details concerning the travel route, the charge and the data of the ship. A café and a restaurant are also on site and both have been visited by many a celebrity.

barrypriddis
24th March 2007, 12:26
I never thought it was tacky. Yes it was a gimmick, but very effective. It was also nice to know that the vessel, its company and run were known.

trevor page
24th March 2007, 13:46
Thanks a lot guys. Having been slaving over a hot boiler i wouldnt have seen or heard it.............Trevor

BlythSpirit
24th March 2007, 14:27
Talking about tacky - if you have ever been on the North Shields - Bergen ferry - you should hear the racket they play over the tannoy on the ship when it is coming alongside at Bergen!!

K urgess
24th March 2007, 15:06
BlythSpirit
Just did a rough 3 day cruise on this or part of it at least. It was so rough and tacky we got off in Stavanger and came back by train.
The music they played while leaving Tyne Commission Quay was "Anchors Aweigh" - words failed me!(EEK)
Kris

benjidog
24th March 2007, 15:40
Rather that than bloody "Ferry across the Mersey"!

Brian

barrypriddis
24th March 2007, 18:05
How about "sailor, stop your roaming. sailor, across the sea. sailor, when the tide turns. come home, come home to me!" Forgot who sang it, but remember my father playing the record!

Gulpers
24th March 2007, 20:42
How about "sailor, stop your roaming. sailor, across the sea. sailor, when the tide turns. come home, come home to me!" Forgot who sang it, but remember my father playing the record!

Here you go Barry - I guess I've got a mind full of rubbish! (==D)

Petula Clark - February 1961 - 1 week at #1 - 15 weeks in chart (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricsc/clarkp.html)

PS - My Grandfather played it to me! (Jester)

john shaw
24th March 2007, 21:01
back on subject (!)-- you can see "the other point of view" on the webcam at
http://www.unser-wedel.de/X_webcams.asp?id={5EEB45E8-8901-44EF-83D4-0E99624F1A1D}

Gulpers
24th March 2007, 21:01
Gents,

Follow this link to a previous thread about Willkommh÷ft (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4444&highlight=play+national+anthem) (Thumb)

owen69
25th March 2007, 23:35
i rember that,we sailed past in the early fifties,one man aft to dip ensign,one man to hoist bra/panties on mast,there was hell to pay but we enjoyed it.

KIWI
26th March 2007, 08:56
Who can, if they have experienced it,forget leaving an Aussie port.Hundreds on the quay,streamers every where,at least one piper going full blast & the ships tannoy system blaring out "A Life On The Ocean Wave".It is a long time ago but I will never forget it. Kiwi

trotterdotpom
26th March 2007, 15:46
That sounds very moving, Kiwi, wish I'd experienced it. I did see the ship girls of Auckland do a mass "spreaders" once - that was quite moving too in it's own way.

John T.

Dick S
2nd April 2007, 23:39
Laving Walleroo I heard a policeman shout I'll get you yet you b*****d, at who I have no idea.

Dick

R.Philip Griffin
3rd April 2007, 01:13
Laving Walleroo I heard a policeman shout I'll get you yet you b*****d, at who I have no idea.

Dick

Ahoy Dick. Had a similar situation in Gladstone [Qld] many years ago. 2nd and 3rd Mates met and later married their wives from the Nurses Home there and the problem causer was an Apprentice who seduced the fiance? of a local copper. Needless to say the miscreant never returned to Gladstone and continued leaving broken hearts all over the place. I hated the handsome b******d.