Maggie Wittons

Hague
25th March 2007, 12:35
Have memories in the distant past of the subject coastal company being mentioned in conversation mainly from Bristol Channel Pilots as I was awaiting the tide for Port Talbot. Is there anyone out there who knows anything that would interest the readers. I am sure Peter will know!....Hope I have the spelling correct?

gdynia
25th March 2007, 12:53
Hauge
The only company I can think of that would match that especially from the Bristol Channel Pilots would be Charles M Willie & Co (Shipping) Ltd of Cardiff. All their vessels were prefixed with Celtic. Ive searched our computers and cannot find a Maggie Wittons at present

Hague
25th March 2007, 13:41
Hauge
The only company I can think of that would match that especially from the Bristol Channel Pilots would be Charles M Willie & Co (Shipping) Ltd of Cardiff. All their vessels were prefixed with Celtic. Ive searched our computers and cannot find a Maggie Wittons at present

No. They had nothing to do with Charles M. Willie that I do know as people in that company used to wax lyrical about Maggie Witton. This company operated along the lines of Coppack Bros of Connahs Quay. I believe the lady owner used to store the ships and virtually do everything except sail in them. Probably Arklow Shipping and the likes started off in a similar way.

awateah2
25th March 2007, 17:13
I understood from people that sailed within the company that 'Maggie Wittons' was the nickname for the 'Yew' Boats, Stewarts of glasgow.

coull1
13th April 2007, 19:59
Maggie Whitton was secretary to Jonh Stewart owner of the Yew boats.Isailed on three of them,Yewforest Yewtree(ex Irish Fern) Yewglen(ex Glitra?Salvesen's).