Introduction and 1st question

meechingman
20th February 2005, 23:48
Hi, I'm a a newbie to this forum, as if you hadn't guessed!

My late father was captain of the UK tug Meeching. Does anyone know of her current whereabouts or have any photos of her after 2003? Love to see some.
(//))

John Rogers
20th February 2005, 23:57
Welcome to the board. Some one will be along that will have an answer. OS

Ron B Manderson
21st February 2005, 08:08
See my gallery
she was sitting at tower bridge last july 2004
If thats the one and you wish a proper photograph gives and email address and I send it to you .

Ron

meechingman
21st February 2005, 12:56
Thanks. I'd love the photo. email is andy.gilbert@virgin.net (:D)

awateah2
21st February 2005, 17:09

My late father was captain of the UK tug Meeching. Does anyone know of her current whereabouts or have any photos of her after 2003? Love to see some.
(//))
Was his name Bob Domin ??

meechingman
21st February 2005, 23:29
Hi

No, my father was Frank Gilbert. Bob served with dad as Relief Master for some years and then took over as Senior Master when dad retired in '79. Bob had her till Sealink 'retired' her in 2000. Bob died a couple of years back and my father about a year ago. Only a couple of 'original' crew left, I'm afraid?
Did you know my Dad?

awateah2
22nd February 2005, 01:02
No, sorry didn't know your dad but knew Bob very well but unfortunately he too has passed away. I know the Tug is still around and looks in good order. Did you know Bob Patterson, Chief Engineer ?

meechingman
22nd February 2005, 13:32
Yes, I knew the whole crew in the 60's and 70's. Bob Patterson lived next door to my brother, an engineer on the ferries. I spent most of my school hols on board the tug! Learnt a heck of a lot about 'tug-manship' and did a lot of supervised towing in and around the harbour.

Other crew: Alex Pringle (Skipper from mid 60's to about 1970). 'Sally' Flowers (Mate), Eddie Boys (Greaser), Graham Ware, John Watkins and Don Waller (Deckhands)

marsat2
30th June 2005, 10:40
Hi Meeching man. I'm one of those couple of crew members still around. I'm Jim Still, I was a deck hand on the Meeching and my dad was a mate on her alongside Alex Pringle, and of course dear old Sally flowers was a deckie at that time and we had a lot of fun with him. Steve pain was also there, Charlie Stone, Gerry, one of the engineers, can't think of his surname, and also Bob Patterson, I did enjoy a couple of pints with Bob in the Sheffield Hotel in 1984 whilst on a trip back here from Australia. My time on board was back in the 60's up to the episode of the Crystal Jewel. Please feel free to chat should you wish.
Cheers for.......Jim

marsat2
30th June 2005, 11:33
No, sorry didn't know your dad but knew Bob very well but unfortunately he too has passed away. I know the Tug is still around and looks in good order. Did you know Bob Patterson, Chief Engineer ?

I knew Bob Patterson as I was also a deckhand on board Meeching when Bob was a chief Engineer on her. They were good times, and I miss it all badly. Newhaven don't look the same without the Meeching around..

CheersJim ( Jim Still )

30th June 2005, 18:15
What a pleasure to see such a fruitful thread, with so many people making contact.

Ships Nostalgia Rocks (Applause)
Dave

Santos
30th June 2005, 21:27
Hear, hear, hope some more make contact too.

Chris. (Thumb)

awateah2
30th June 2005, 22:13
It looks a bit tidier now they have developed the West Quay, was over a few weeks ago, The Sheffield is now the 'Harbourside' and the 'Ark' all poshed up, Remember it very different when sailing in the 'Sand Tern' and 'Sand Lark'. Fisherman's club gone and 'Railway Club to be demolished to make way for New private housing. Town Centre dying on its feet, real shame

marsat2
1st July 2005, 08:50
Sorry Meeching Man, looks like I gave you a bum steer , Drop me a line sometime. ..... Jim

michael james
1st July 2005, 10:19
What a great thread - just what this site is all about -

backsplice
1st July 2005, 13:09
I love this kind of talk!!!....backsplice

awateah2
2nd July 2005, 00:04
I also met a guy called Bob Thomas who was Mate on the Meeching with Bob Domin, ex Bank Line 2/O and 2/O on the freight ferry Extorr (Newhaven - Dieppe) also a remarkable man that every seafarer in Newhaven must know, Danny Lynch, licensee of the Harbour Tavern at Newhaven Harbour Station, retired now (84 years old) and his wife lil, both going strong and living in the new development on the West side near the Ark pub

marsat2
2nd July 2005, 08:51
Hi Awateah2. Bob Thomas and Bod Domin are way after my time as was the freight ferry Extor. The freight ferries I remember were the Nantes and Bordeaux and there was even another one that slips my mind. Now Danny Lynch I do remember and I had a great night out in the Harbour Tavern or the Shades as it was once reffered to, in 1984 during me visit back from Australia. In fact way back in the early 50's I was involved in a few concerts that his daughter Barbara was in. I believe she became the publican at the Royal Oak at Piddinghoe.
The Ark Inn on the riverwall, great little pub that used to be, once run by Harry Waller I believe. Really must pop over for a pint in there now that I living back in Seaford, just hope they haven't modernised it too much.
Cheers good friend. Thanks for the reply. Good morning, good evening, or good afternoon to the rest of you, whichever applies in your case. Cheers...JIM

marsat2
2nd July 2005, 09:54
I just posted a pic of the Meeching high and dry on a groyne at Ostende. I took it myself when she went aground during a trip towing a drydock from Dartmouth to Flushing. Cheers......JIM

awateah2
3rd July 2005, 22:30
Danny Lynch can be found most Sunday lunchtimes around 1300 in the 'Prince of Wales' in South Street with his son in law, Dave Butler ex Seafarer. Barbara now runs the unisex hairdressers 'Toppers' in Newhaven High St,
Regards.

marsat2
4th July 2005, 08:38
Thanks Aweteah, I'll get round to the Prince of Wales one sunday see if I can catch up with Danny, be nice to see him again. Thanks again......JIM

billyboy
6th July 2005, 23:55
hello, my late fasther also worked on the meeching as mate for many years and the Formost 22 before that. his name was george still. my older brother Jim still was AB on the meeching for a while. The last picture I found of the Meeching she was moored between two buoys on what I take to be the Thames. Like you I would like to Know what the future has in store for her.

billyboy
7th July 2005, 00:01
Hi, remember the sand martin and the sand star too! I sailed on them both

awateah2
7th July 2005, 05:00
I have a very good photo of the Sand Star, if you would likw a copy ,please send me your Email address.
Regards

billyboy
8th July 2005, 09:50
be great to recieve a pic of the sand star. sailed on her and the martin in my mad impetuous youth. as you said "a cultural shock"

billyboy
8th July 2005, 09:51
e mail is:********

Email details deleted,
If any Members wish to reply to billyboy, you can do so via a PM[Private Message]
It's not a good idea to post your email details here, can end up in lots of spam mail. I'd suggest you ask members to use the "Private message" system to contact you.

billyboy
8th July 2005, 13:36

(//))
i have a picture of the meeching and the Tidworth alongside the Crystal jewel in Seaford bay. want me to e mail it to you? drop me your e mail address.(i am Marsat2,s younger brother)

flyer682
16th July 2005, 06:08
Can you all please refrain from giving out your email address on Open Forums. Although it is with good intentions, you may also receive some unwelcome email as well. By Private Message is the safest way to go.
Thanks.

billyboy
16th July 2005, 09:57
OOps! didnt think Dave, sorry about that. thank you for bringing it to my attention.

marsat2
16th October 2005, 16:28
Hope to have latest pictures of Meeching soon. I am led to believe she is under arrest at the moment. Will let you know what I find out ax I get more info.
Cheers.... JIM

Gulpers
16th October 2005, 17:01
30/07/2003 - Meeching had her Lloyd's Register of Shipping classification withdrawn because of overdue surveys. :@

marsat2
18th October 2005, 08:36
Cheers Gulpers. Saw the Meeching yesterday and will post pictures as soon as I get time to download them. After seeing her I'm not surprised at your news re Lloyds.

Cheers for now........ JIM

AceBlaggard
20th November 2005, 15:15
Hope to have latest pictures of Meeching soon. I am led to believe she is under arrest at the moment. Will let you know what I find out ax I get more info.
Cheers.... JIM

That's what I've been told too, something to do with drug smuggling was the rumour I heard. What a sad end, I remember well sitting in class at Tideway watching her pull out the dredger barges and banana boats.