LADY OF THE LOCH and DUCHESS OF THE ISLES

Fairfield
21st February 2005, 11:14
This shot,taken by Bill Court in 1989 shows two Australian built vessels which I believe were for use on Loch Lomond.Sadly this came to nought and they went elsewhere.

Doug Rogers
21st February 2005, 22:29
Any idea where they were built??, look like Incats but might not be, bit hard to tell with cats!!.

flyer682
22nd February 2005, 06:47
Looks like the one behind is on a syncrolift type dock.

Doug Rogers
22nd February 2005, 07:47
Certainly on something but cant really make out what,might have been built in WA but think from the date probability is Hobart

tanker
23rd February 2005, 14:58
Why this pics are in ferries threads?

Fairfield
23rd February 2005, 21:35
To Doug-yes,built by Incat I/m sure.
To Tanker-nice to see you back.I suppose they really should have gone into Cruise Ships!!

flyer682
24th February 2005, 09:32
The front one looks remarkably similar to the Auckland ferry QUICKCAT which was built in 1986 at South Coogee, Western Australia. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo to show.
The design just doesn't look very "Incat" to me.

Fairfield
24th February 2005, 21:51
It was just a guess as Bill sent me many shots of their ships.Will dig those out.

Doug Rogers
24th February 2005, 21:54
You may be right, dunno, need a more detailed picture. They are all pretty similar from a distance. I wonder if they might have gone to the UK for the Portsmouth/Ryde service under the names Our Lady Patricia and Our Lady Pamela, both of those to my knowledge started in the late 80's. Certainly very similar design. Think they have been replaced by new tonnage now....somewhere I had something about them, will try and find it.

Doug Rogers
26th February 2005, 06:20
They are not the Lady Pamela/Patricia..they were introduced on the Solent services in 1986. Pamela came to UK as deck cargo, Patricia did it on her own.
Both Incat designs built in Tassie.

Jan Hendrik
7th March 2005, 10:44
These vessels were built late eighties in Launceston , Tasmania (Australia). I was very much involved with supplying all marine paints. The yard was then called Launceston Marine and they held (hold) the only synchrolift available in Tassie and John Van Doorn (Dutchman) was m.d. at the time.
So Incat had absolutely nothing to do with these.
The ships were designed by Stuart Ballentyne (Scot) of the Gold Coast.
I have a great series of photos available during the construction period.
We called the one vessel DOTI (you can guess why).

Without Antifouling you don't get far.
Jan Hendrik

Doug Rogers
7th March 2005, 11:24
Thanks Jan, that certainly clears the picture up doesnt it, look forward to the pics as and when u get the time and opportunity.

Jan Hendrik
7th March 2005, 11:38
Allow some time Doug as I am not too familiar with posting photos as yet. Need some assistance from my kids, so will do so in due course.

Jan

japottinger
7th March 2005, 22:18
Ref Lady Of The Loch item on TV tonight, re faulty welds etc.
can Feguson not send a man and a dog up to Loch Tay and sort it out and stop phaffing around and get the thing off the ground.
According to message it is the MSA that are refusing release etc., and I cannot see the point of the owners disputing the cause faults and losing revenue for no purpose,
The old story of it wisna me it was you, typical of present day Scotland

flyer682
8th March 2005, 09:20
Found a photo of QUICKCAT which I mentioned in an earlier post. The background is also interesting - the Seamens Mission directly behind with the former NSS Co. building on the right hand side of the photo, plus the tall buildings which now grace the downtown area of Auckland. (This photo is 12 years old, so there's probably taller ones now!)

Jan Hendrik
8th March 2005, 11:24
Such names.........

I got some more info on these vessels .
Unfortunately only found two photos of the D.O.T.I. when she was laid up in Launceston for several months (abt 12 years ago), yet I have a series of photos of the building of one of the Matilda Boats (Matilda Cruises Sydney) and that one was built exactly the same way as the above vessels, also at Launceston Marine (now called: Southern Marine Shiplift).
I am also trying to find out whether both were built in Launceston as by memory one of them could have been built at Caboolture (GoldCoast near Brisbane) at the yard South Pacific Marine, I attended many vessels there and the weirdest they ever built was a Chinese junk which was to be used as a floating restaurant in Sydney, it did not even last a year and was then sent to Vietnam. I got photos when they launched her.
So I hope to come back with some photos and confirmation of above soon.
I will contact the shipyards (know the people there).
Cheers
Jan

"without Antifouling you slow down"

Jan Hendrik
8th March 2005, 12:39
Got some photos.
Two pictures showing the D.O.T.I. in Launceston.
Note a "Lady ......" supply boat from A.O.S. and a newly painted Tidewater vessel of which the liverage changed soon again afterwards.

Then some pictures of "Matilda-4" built at Launceston Marine mid 1989.
Jan

"without Antifouling you don't get far"

Jan Hendrik
8th March 2005, 12:43
Second series of Matilda-4 built in Launceston mid 1989

Fairfield
8th March 2005, 22:05
Excellent set of shots-nice to see her building.

Doug Rogers
9th March 2005, 01:50
Re the Sydney Junk..I thought she ended up in Hong Kong doing lunch/dinner cruises rather than Vietnam?..although they should have had more than enough of their own junks to do the job..proper ones that is!!.
Many years ago I had a friend who owned one, well actually had it built, facinating looking at the pictures of its construction, beautifully built, real work of art. Ended up in the good old US of A many years down the track, probably still floating around somewhere out there.

Jan Hendrik
9th March 2005, 08:26
Doug, I got many photos of that particular vessel, need to scan a few , so will send these today/tomorrow. I was an invited guest at the launching and handover as well. I remember there were quite a few articles in the local paper about this "Chinese junk" or "Chinese trash", the vessel did not look like a boat at all. The food was good I heard....
I am pretty certain she went to Ho Ming City first and perhaps to H.K. afterwards, the latter rings a bell.
Jan

"also this ship took Antifouling as without it you run into problems"

Doug Rogers
9th March 2005, 09:49
No sweat, she wasnt the most graceful thing to adorn the harbour but I think she did quite well in her early times..then it all seemed to fall apart a bit...probably just trying to contain costs perhaps. Would like to see the pictures when you can get it all worked out..have u been subscribing to Ron's information on scanning and posting..very informative and helpful..if not you are a bad boy..consider yourself scolded and the fine will be 800 litres of antifouling..cheers..Doug

"We take our antifouling seriously here"

Jan Hendrik
9th March 2005, 10:03
Will come back with photos. My personal file states I reside in Barbados, this is a mistake (I probably clicked the wrong button), I live 900 km south of you, in beaueaueaueautiful Melbourne.

Jan Hendrik
9th March 2005, 13:03
Antifouling never consisted of lead and never will as lead saponifies below water.
You are mixed up with tin and tin (tbt) is banned on a worldwide basis since 1st January 2003.
Excellent replacements have meanwhile been introduced, the various marine paint suppliers use different sorts of biocides still in combination with copper (cuprous oxide) which do the trick nicely and you still get 5 years on ocean vessels out of them.
Cheers
Jan

"Without Antifouling you reduce your speed and you increase your fuel consumption"

R798780
9th March 2005, 13:39
I thought the tbt tin replaced mercury based antifouling. Any truth in this? (going back to the sixties).

They wouldn't allow us to anchor near oyster beds when we were wearing the tbt underclothes!

Jan Hendrik
10th March 2005, 11:47
Especially for Doug, hereby some pictures during the construction of the Chinese junk. All pictures taken by myself in May 1988.

Vessel: TAIPAN, steel hull, alu superstructure. Owner: Mrs Shen
Designed by SeaTransport Solutions (Stuart Ballentyne) and built by South Pacific Marine, Caboolture (Qld).
Ceremony of launching by Tim Lloyd and Stuart Ballentyne (co-owners of the shipyard at the time). Tim was then the Owner of Matilda Cruises Sydney.

Vessel was pushed to the water after they carefully constructed some sort of road. Exceptional launching. Champagne was good.
Cheers,
Jan

"Proper number of coats of Antifouling applied"

Jan Hendrik
10th March 2005, 11:49
The next 3 photos

Jan Hendrik
10th March 2005, 23:24
In 1983 France was the first country to ban tin based A/F on all vessels below 25 m in length.
Indeed as a result of the possible damage to estuaries , esp. oyster beds.
This was followed by most countries and by OZ in 1987 but NZ took a very dramatic decision by banning tin on all vessels, so those 25 m and above as well.
Therefore NZ has been TIN FREE since 1987 and the shipyards lost business as a result of that decision.

As per 1st Jan 2003 all IMO countries banned tin in any form. Few countries, due to local legislation had to pospone it with up to 6 months but fact is that tin is OUT.
Since 60's marine paint suppliers have tried all sorts of ways to produce "the best Antifouling on the market", this race to some extend is still going on.
Mercury and aluminium were unsuccessfully tried during very few trials only, so was Teflon, the latter was a disaster, and in fact all went back to cuprous oxide (87 percent pure copper), so today the combination of cuprous oxide and one or two biocides is the only system left.
Some very popular biocides are Diuron, Triazine, Irgarol, Sea-Nine, etc.
The above , together with a controlled polishing of the Antifouling (about 2-7 microns per month depending on speed and trade) is now widely used and systems can provide docking intervals up to 5 years.
Apart from Antifouling, then especially on fast boats and alu hulls a fouling Release agent is sometimes used but it still has many imperfections, this is a so called non stick coating based on silicone technology and it does not contain any "nasties".

This is the conclusion of lesson 1...........

"antifouling is a necessity"

Doug Rogers
11th March 2005, 00:33
Pictures great Jan and thank you also for the information on antifouling, older I may be but learning I still am (bit Yoda-ish that one!!). Like everything technology keep growing apace but its good to hear it all from someone who knows what he is talking about!!. I was going to say expert but we all know the definition of that one dont we!.

Jan Hendrik
19th March 2005, 06:03
Doug, once more especially for you.
I found a photo of this "Chinese junk" while she was berthed in Sydney harbour.
So now you see her in full glory.

photo: copyright: jdejonge
Jan

Doug Rogers
19th March 2005, 07:19
Ah just as I remembered her, couldnt help but notice her on the harbour..she was so ugly!!. Good one, many thanks for the memories.

trotterdotpom
27th May 2005, 14:47
Hi Jan,

That's not a Chinese Junk, that's just Junk. I too remember her brief appearance on Sydney Harbour - think she was banned by the Bad Taste Detectives!

Didn't realize that she was built by South Pacific Marine. After being dragged kicking and screaming down the gangway for the last time (1992), I spent 9 months killing myself as a courier. South Pacific were a valued customer - paid top dollar for prompt deliveries and, even better - cash (I think). At the time they were building a huge catamaran, undercover and about a quarter mile from the water. I meant to go and watch the launch but forgot unfortunately.

John T.

Jan Hendrik
27th May 2005, 15:02
They built several cats and the speciality of Stuart Ballentyne (their most regular naval architect and initial co-owner of the yard) was steel hull and alu superstructures.
He was also involved with Launceston Marine, built a lot of cats and has a successful company in Southport, Gold Coast.
Very well respected with his designs.

My company (and also myself) was very much involved with the Caboolture yard.
I remember the first vessel they built when they had to clear a pathway through the woods and a pathway to roll the vessel into the drink.
All dirt roads.
Nostalgic times.

cambria49
27th May 2005, 21:33
Certainly on something but cant really make out what,might have been built in WA but think from the date probability is Hobart

Certainly not Hobart.

Rgds,

Justin

cambria49
27th May 2005, 21:35
To Doug-yes,built by Incat I/m sure.
To Tanker-nice to see you back.I suppose they really should have gone into Cruise Ships!!

Nope, not Incat. In relation to tanker's question, we don't know they're not ferries! Not every ferry has a vehicle deck!
Rgds, Justin

cambria49
27th May 2005, 21:38
You may be right, dunno, need a more detailed picture. They are all pretty similar from a distance. I wonder if they might have gone to the UK for the Portsmouth/Ryde service under the names Our Lady Patricia and Our Lady Pamela, both of those to my knowledge started in the late 80's. Certainly very similar design. Think they have been replaced by new tonnage now....somewhere I had something about them, will try and find it.

Hi Doug,
Our Lady Patricia and Our Lady Pamela are quite different. Both vessels remain in service with Wightlink between Portsmouth and Ryde and celebrate 20 years on that run next year.
Rgds, Justin

Doug Rogers
28th May 2005, 01:51
I travelled on both of them in April, they are showing their age a little but could be in much worse condition. I believe there is talk of replacing them with much larger cats, wonder how they would go docking in Portsmouth??..not too much room but I am sure they will work it out.

cambria49
28th May 2005, 12:14
I travelled on both of them in April, they are showing their age a little but could be in much worse condition. I believe there is talk of replacing them with much larger cats, wonder how they would go docking in Portsmouth??..not too much room but I am sure they will work it out.

They usually dry dock at the Fleet Support facility in Portsmouth, in fact Pamela underwent a major refit there last year. It may be recalled that they were due to be replaced by the new FastCats a couple of years ago, but then it was discovered that they were still required, especially at weekends.
Rgds,
Justin

Doug Rogers
28th May 2005, 13:01
It will be interesting to see what happens with them, both journeys I experienced were quite full (mid am/later pm) but it was not a summer service, come the visitors they may need some form of a supplement in peak season by larger vessels. Going back and fro to the IOW over a period of 40 years the service is very different, as are the vessels but the service that is provided from the respective ports is certainly much enhanced..but then so are their prices. Pricing though is probably better now than it was many years ago. Having said that the IOW is still my home in the UK and will always remain so. The service that was provided during my last visit was certainly more than adequate.

cambria49
28th May 2005, 23:07
Going back and fro to the IOW over a period of 40 years the service is very different, as are the vessels but the service that is provided from the respective ports is certainly much enhanced..but then so are their prices.
Shame to see the old Southsea being towed to the breakers eh Doug.
Rgds,
Justin

Doug Rogers
29th May 2005, 01:19
Its a thing called progress I fear, yes some of the old steamers were great little ships but finally beaten by time and tide.

nzwomble38
16th July 2005, 10:27
Hi, I used to work in Milford Sound, New Zealand on "The Lady OF The South Pacific" it is the one on the first page of this thread, the bigger ship. Will find a picture for you. Loved working and living on this ship. Jason.

Jan Hendrik
16th July 2005, 13:18
Jason,
I was in Milford Sound last year and this was the ship I was on and which is called Lady of the Sounds.

The pictures you were referring to are the vessels Lady of the Loch (the smallest of the two) and the D.O.T.I (Duchess of the Isles, the bigger one).

Is is then possible, once these vessels were built in Launceston (Tasmania) and in Caboolture (Queensland), that they were sold to Scottish interest and some years later were transported back to New Zealand??
I must admit there is a resemblance between the Lady of the Loch and the Lady of the Sounds, thus the smaller vessel.
We now need some experts with magnifying glasses to clear this up.
Jan

photos 2004 by jdj.

"without proper antifouling your investment may prove very costly".

Fairfield
16th July 2005, 20:31
Quite certain that they never came to the UK but remained in Australia/ Tasmania.

Jan Hendrik
17th July 2005, 00:59
Paul,
The very first photo of this thread shows both vessels berthed in Launceston but it was said they were stationed in Scotland.
This is how the whole story started and I have seen the vessels built in OZ.

I now also found out that the Lady of the South Pacific, i.e. the vessel Jason is talking about, is no longer in Milford Sound, but left for Tahiti in June 2000 and onwards to France stowed as cargo on an ocean vessel and was then further shipped to Slovenia in 2001 for a major refit.
I do not follow it anymore, perhaps Jason knows a bit more here.
Jan

nzwomble38
17th July 2005, 05:13
Hi everyone, thought you would like these pics, have more I have taken over the years, will have to hunt them out.
She arrived in Milford Sound on the 9th Dec 1995, as Lady Of The South Pacific, was previously in fiji for fifteen to eightteen months as "duchess of the Isles".
I worked on this vessel for about 3 years and loved every minute of it.
Have inside pics if anyone is intrested.

Potter
31st August 2007, 07:06
Got some photos.
Two pictures showing the D.O.T.I. in Launceston.
Note a "Lady ......" supply boat from A.O.S. and a newly painted Tidewater vessel of which the liverage changed soon again afterwards.

Then some pictures of "Matilda-4" built at Launceston Marine mid 1989.
Jan

"without Antifouling you don't get far"

Hi Jan

It would be great to get photos of the Duchess of the Isles from you because, as you know, I have been researching her current whereabouts for over a year now. Still no luck either!

John Wren-Potter

Jan Hendrik
31st August 2007, 08:19
Hi John,
In vain I tried to get in contact with Stuart Ballentyne.
You may wish to try yourself.
He would certainly know what happened to the DOTI and would still have some photos.

His contact address is as per following website:
http://www.seatransport.com/index.cfm?id=4

There is an email address and phone numbers.
ask for Stuart or Stephanie.

Good luck
Jan

Potter
25th August 2008, 09:12
Hi, I used to work in Milford Sound, New Zealand on "The Lady OF The South Pacific" it is the one on the first page of this thread, the bigger ship. Will find a picture for you. Loved working and living on this ship. Jason.

Hi Jason
I thought that you would like to know that 'your' "The Lady of the South Pacific" (ex-Duchess of Isles) is still afloat and was totally refitted, rebuilt really, in 2002 as a 'super yacht' for the U.A.E. Royal Family.
SARHA is now based in Abu Dhabi and is a true example of ugly duckling turned into a swan!
I still haven't discovered much more about her life in New Zealand or prior to that time. (If anyone can furnish details I'd be glad to learn more.) If you've still got NZ pictures it would be great to see them, but it's nice to learn that such an unusual vessel is still afloat and gainfully employed.
John