British & Continental Shipping Co.

Joe Whelan
27th March 2007, 15:07
Anyone around who sailed in British & Continental ships, also known as the Cork Boats. Joe.

Gerry Whitehead
28th March 2007, 00:48
Hi Joe I sailed on a British & Continental Coaster the " Clangula " It was in 1957 & the voyage was to Amsterdam & Rotterdam. I was seconded there by the Sea Cadets & sailed as Deck Boy.From what I remember a great voyage for someone who was dying to go Deep Sea.My pal sailed on anther B& C ship the Bittern also from Liverpool.Ive always wanted a picture of the Clangula but to date have had no succsess.Any Ideas

Joe Whelan
29th March 2007, 14:26
Hi Gerry, I joined B&C in 1960. Sailed in the M/V Egret. Foto-Flite have a photo of the "Clangula" for sale ref. no 14581. I will check my books for a photo and contact you if I find one. Do you remember if Capt. J. Cowie was Master during your voyage? It was a good job while it lasted. Regards Joe.

tonydavies
13th March 2012, 16:13
Hi Joe I was on the Egret in 1963. Joined her in Manchester,calling in at Liverpool for Antwerp and Rotterdam. Ten days round trip.

tom roberts
13th March 2012, 16:50
Hi Joe iwas on two British and Continental boats the Dotrell and the Ardetta in the50s did a good bit of business with asprins as you could only get them in Belguim on perscription I was fortunate to know a girl who worked in Ayerton Saunders in a chemist distributers in Liverpool bought her the bedside lamps from Holland the ones that when on showed the scenery to move,I hope that didnt put me in the frame as a drug dealer God forbid.

Ron Dean
13th March 2012, 18:03
Hi Joe iwas on two British and Continental boats the Dotrell and the Ardetta in the50s did a good bit of business with asprins as you could only get them in Belguim on perscription I was fortunate to know a girl who worked in Ayerton Saunders in a chemist distributers in Liverpool bought her the bedside lamps from Holland the ones that when on showed the scenery to move,I hope that didnt put me in the frame as a drug dealer God forbid.
My wife & I sailed on the Dotterel as fare paying passengers in 1958.
We booked through the agent "Pitt & Scott". The Dotterel was scheduled to sail from Manchester to Antwerp & Ghent and we decided it would be a good opportunity to visit the Brussels World Fair of that year.
2 days before we were due to sail, we received a telegram, delivered by a boy on a bike (no mobiles then and not too many people had private phones). We were notified that the Dotterel would now be sailing from Liverpool, and would be calling at Amsterdam & Rotterdam.
We did make it to the World Fair by using a fast train from Rotterdam to Brussels. :)

Ron.

Joe Whelan
27th August 2012, 16:03
Hi Joe I was on the Egret in 1963. Joined her in Manchester,calling in at Liverpool for Antwerp and Rotterdam. Ten days round trip.

Hi Tony,Did not see your post until to day.How long were you in the Egret. Regards Joe.

Barrie Youde
27th August 2012, 21:32
Dear Joe,

It is good to hear from you.

During the short period September-November 1965 there were three Masters of the Egret - Joe Coyne, Jack berry and Melvin Shepherd.

There were two Chief Officers - Bob (?) Methven and Matvei Kula. Matviei would be over 100 now, I'd guess, if still alive.

There were two Second Mates - John Matthews and Alec Lobb.

There was one Third Mate - me.

On the day I joined the company I reported to Yorkshire House in Chapel Street, where the Marine Superintendent called to his secretary, "Book Mr Youde onto the Belfast ferry tonight to join Egret in Belfast."

A few minutes later, the secretary called back "Ulster Steamship say that all the cabins are full tonight. They only have the owner's suite left."

"That's ok," said the Superintendent, "Our officers always travel First Class. Book it."

And so I travelled in style.

And so the company went out of business not long afterwards!

Hope you are keeping well. Other names remembered are George Musson and John MacLeod and another AB (Mullard?) who was a very experienced driver of low-loader vehicles in road transport.

Happy days!

BY

Joe Whelan
28th August 2012, 15:45
Hi Barrie,Thanks for the e-mail. I remember you from your time on the Egret also some of your associates John Williams, J.Curry & Kennedy. Happy days no more to return.
The period you were there I was Chief/Eng I relieved Alec Boothroyd.
I heard Bob Methven died young,J. Matthews also crossed the bar and I guess Kula also.
It was a happy six years only wish i could do it all over again.
Joe.

Barrie Youde
28th August 2012, 16:08
Many thanks, Joe.

Am sorry to hear your news re former shipmates but pleased that you are ok.

Long may it be so!

best,

BY

tony-davies
23rd September 2013, 18:32
Hi Joe The Egret was my very first ship. I joined her in Manchester in 1962 and did the Liverpool /Antwerp / Rotterdam run for a couple of trips to get my feet wet sort of thing.