Anomalies

Hague
28th March 2007, 19:26
Recently included in a reply that there were practices/anomalies in the 'China Boats' which were not practiced elsewhere. Such as the lookout man on the foc'sle reporting a vessel gave ' one to port, two to stbd and three dead ahead'. Elsewhere, universally it was one to stbd etc,etc.
We called our Sampson posts 'Columns'. We made up the 'topping lift' in a definite way/configuration ( even the awkward bitts on the for'd contactor houses on the 'M' boats). When the Bosun shouted 'standbye fore and aft' it meant stations. Elsewhere standbye could be some hour or so before you went on 'stations' (but ot booked all the same). I am sure the Engineers and Catering could contribute with input re differences discovered when they 'flew the nest'.

fred henderson
28th March 2007, 20:25
Forgive me Hague, but when I saw the title of your thread I thought "There is a Blue Funnel ship's name I have not seen before."(Jester)

Best regards

Fred(Thumb)

Eggo
29th March 2007, 10:03
Never heard of the rating'Tomolo'(Chippies mate ) any where else. Senior ratings were ' leading seamen', in the RN yes, MN unheard of outside BF.

stevie
29th March 2007, 15:21
Had Midshipmen not Cadets, lowered the Derricks never dropped them.And when someone asked for a Whammy for the Back spring you could only be on a Bluey

Eggo
30th March 2007, 11:23
Was it usual Haig in BF to work the morning sight using the longitude by chronometer method ? Was on the wheel once in Demodacus and Capt Eyynon was giving the 2nd mate a rollicking for using the intercept method .The second mate was ex Elders man.

Hague
30th March 2007, 17:24
Good evening Les,
'Long by Chron' was the favoured method in the 'China' but, as you will know as well as anyone we were diluted in around 67 and the intercept method crept in. Similarly, these dreadful ED types contaminated the chartroom with Nories!. What was wrong with Burtons?. He was after all a 'China Boat' man.

Trader
30th March 2007, 18:01
Recently included in a reply that there were practices/anomalies in the 'China Boats' which were not practiced elsewhere. Such as the lookout man on the foc'sle reporting a vessel gave ' one to port, two to stbd and three dead ahead'. Elsewhere, universally it was one to stbd etc,etc.
We called our Sampson posts 'Columns'. We made up the 'topping lift' in a definite way/configuration ( even the awkward bitts on the for'd contactor houses on the 'M' boats). When the Bosun shouted 'standbye fore and aft' it meant stations. Elsewhere standbye could be some hour or so before you went on 'stations' (but ot booked all the same). I am sure the Engineers and Catering could contribute with input re differences discovered when they 'flew the nest'.

You have certainly brought back a few memories there Hague, especially about ringing the bells on the foc'sle lookout. When I left Blue Funnel I had to think twice about ringing the bells. Mind you I didn't do many foc'sle head look outs after I left, they were mainly Monkey island and wing of the bridge lookouts in the companies that I went to.
As regards to the "topping lift" configuration, I remember it being two turns on the bottom, three on the top and then cross them followed by a whammy.
Inspections every day except Sunday, whereas other companies were Sundays only.
I shall have to think of a few more when I get the time.

All the best Trader.

Eggo
30th March 2007, 19:48
What about Kidneys on toast for breakfast.They were delicious but never seen them since BF.

David Davies
30th March 2007, 21:12
When called up with aldis could never make sense of the name. Did you have a different morse code as well?

Hague
30th March 2007, 21:18
When called up with aldis could never make sense of the name. Did you have a different morse code as well?

Dave,
Certainly had shorthand to establish whether you were a'China Boat' or not.

David Davies
31st March 2007, 12:28
Hague
Another anomaly! Did you have srategically placed water ballast tanks and facilities to enable the ship to conduct it's own heeling experiment to find GM ?
Dave

Hague
31st March 2007, 19:29
Hague
Another anomaly! Did you have srategically placed water ballast tanks and facilities to enable the ship to conduct it's own heeling experiment to find GM ?
Dave

Dave,

For stability purposes we used 'The Ralston Stability and Trim Indicator' which I believe was standard issue and not specific to the 'China'.

Hague
30th April 2007, 21:25
Tabernacle: Derrick heel support structure on columns.

Pi.. pot jerker: Steward

Ventry
4th May 2007, 11:48
I always knew that Blue Funnel was something of a Navy within a Navy with its own highly trained sailors and as such had their own way of doing things but I was unaware that it stretched to having their own foc'sle reporting procedure which was contrary to everyone else. There safety record was second to none and the odd BF sailor I sailed with was always 'top class' so, who can challenge it