Grimsby Nautical College - Radio 1960s -70s

Cunarder
29th March 2007, 09:55
Some 40 years on, seeking any other ex GCFE/GCOT PMG students who were there between 1965 and 1968. I know there are a few around in the forums but I'm sure there must be more. Give us a call if/when you can....

Alan Marsden

Cunarder
21st June 2007, 06:37
Geez - there must be some of you lot out there! let's hear from you guys....

Dave Woods
21st June 2007, 08:39
Alan,

Greetings

I was at GCFE from 1963 until 1967. Your name does not ring a bell.

Best regards

Dave Woods.

Some 40 years on, seeking any other ex GCFE/GCOT PMG students who were there between 1965 and 1968. I know there are a few around in the forums but I'm sure there must be more. Give us a call if/when you can....

Alan Marsden

trotterdotpom
21st June 2007, 12:17
Alan, I was confused by the GCFE/GCOT at first - thought they were callsigns!

Anyway, you know me, but just for info, I've just found out that Messrs Mills and Townsend are still plodding on but Frank Webber died a few years ago.

John T.

Steve Farrow
22nd June 2007, 21:15
Geez - there must be some of you lot out there! let's hear from you guys....

Alan,
I was a deck cadet there from 1961-63 then back again in '66 for second mates. A friend of mine owns a gallery in Cleethorpes and he was there along with his brother....Tyrone and Bob Bunce. Did you know them? I'll mention your name when I see them next.
Someone sent me an article about Pico Mills, so I'll try and track it down.
Regards
Steve www.trawlerart.com

Steve Farrow
22nd June 2007, 21:29
Here is a fine collection of uniforms! Taken in Grimsby, 1962 (?) Marching with Frank Priest the boat & seamanship instructor.
Steve

Cunarder
24th June 2007, 23:11
Thanks Dave, John & Steve - I was sure there must have a been a few dotted around the place.

Can't believe that Mills and Townsend are still going but sad to hear of Frank Webber's passing. Always remember Townsend's morse - like music...never could emulate it.

Dave - your name does ring a bell but I'm afraid I'm having difficulty putting a face to it. I know - many have said that I am forgettable!

Thanks for the info on Mills, Steve. Do let me know if you find the article. Meanwhile, I am visiting UK from Oz in August and plan a couple of days in Grimsby to take some photos and visit old haunts. I'll look up your friends gallery whilst I'm there. Might even buy one of your pics to take home to Oz. Would be particularly interested in either Ross Kipling, Ross Juno or Ross Khartoum.

The attached pic is at the Hall of Residence in 1966. I am in the middle row on the right. I'll add some more in the gallery shortly.

Very best regards to you all
Alan

Steve Farrow
25th June 2007, 08:50
Hi Alan,
Ty's gallery is on the corner of Sea View St and Cambridge St Cleethorpes. I'm sure he'd be pleased to meet you.
All the best
Steve

Cunarder
25th June 2007, 21:52
Thanks, Steve. I'll make sure I pay him a visit whilst I'm there.

Alan

Cunarder
26th June 2007, 08:30
Here are some more pix from 65-68....

Regards
Alan

Cunarder
15th July 2007, 22:58
Does anybody recognise themselves or can put names to faces in the above pix?

Cunarder
15th September 2007, 09:07
I have just returned from a trip back to the UK from Oz and incorporated a 'Haj' back to Grimsby and Cleethorpes to tread some old tracks for a day. The college and Hall of Residence look exactly the same save for a few additions and extensions over time. The Victoria St annex where we went sailing on Wednesday afternoons has now gone and replaced with a "Burger King"

Sadly, the Fish Docks and lower town around Riby Square etc look very sad and neglected. It was almost as though, when the fishing industry collapsed, they just turned and walked away from the place. I had half expected the Fish Docks and North Wall to have been transformed into industrial parks etc but it just looks dilapidated and abandoned. Knowing how vibrant the place was when I was there in the 60's it was little short of heartbreaking to see the state of the place as it is now.

Here are a handful of pix - I have more if anyone is interested to see.

Cheers
Alan Marsden

trotterdotpom
15th September 2007, 13:10
Thanks Alan, did you dye your beard ginger? Having seen your other photos, as you say, a sad sight.

John T.

Cunarder
3rd September 2008, 08:33
I'll re-introduce this thread and see if there are any ex Grimsby bodies about now. Where are you guys?

BA204259
3rd September 2008, 09:07
Forgive this intrusion from a non-Grimsby type, but curious about a name mentioned in posts 4 and 7 above.

Frank Webber.

Was he one of the instructors? I'm curious as we had an instructor of the same name (full name Franklin R Webber) when I was at Wray Castle in '58/'59 and have a feeling it may be the same.

trotterdotpom
3rd September 2008, 12:15
I'm pretty sure that Grimsby Frank's name was spelt Weber (as in Capacitance) - he was a bit stern, but a great teacher. Sadly, he died a few years ago.

John T.

BA204259
3rd September 2008, 21:24
Thanks John - it was just a thought.

sparkie2182
3rd September 2008, 22:07
at fleetwood we were taught the Weber was the unit of magnetic flux ...........

maybe thats where we went wrong.

:)

trotterdotpom
4th September 2008, 14:19
at fleetwood we were taught the Weber was the unit of magnetic flux ...........

maybe thats where we went wrong.

:)

Oh no, you got me, Sparkie! I must have been approaching my max capacity and got mixed up with Mr Farad. Don't blame my mistake on Frank's teaching, it was all my own.

John T.

sparkie2182
4th September 2008, 22:48
well........

it was a long time ago john.........:)

i surprised myself to be honest....... i didnt have much call for calculating
magnetic flux density and such when at sea.
amazing how much info was drilled into us........and how much has stuck

trotterdotpom
5th September 2008, 00:12
Very true. Maybe it's the air di-electric between my ears.

John T.

Jim Sansbury
3rd September 2009, 15:56
Hi there,
I was at GCFE in 1963ish doing PMG Cert. I remember Martin Kelly (went on to Decca Navigator), Chris Gostick (went on to British Antarctic Survey), Bill Lusher, Bill Spray (Decca Navigator also), Adrian Lungenmuss an several others. Remember Frank Priest, Pico and Bob someone who told me to send with my other foot.
Jim Sansbury

holland25
3rd September 2009, 22:22
Didnt go to Grimsby, but in the group picture, post #10, with everybody in bow ties, the guy on the far right standing a little on his own, looks remarkably like a junior RO on the RFA Olmeda 1969. Dont remember his name, but his nickname was "Flash".

trotterdotpom
3rd September 2009, 22:28
Holland, that is John O'Brien - now living in Hampshire.

John T.

holland25
3rd September 2009, 22:42
Hi John T.

Thanks for that, the name John stirs in the depths of my memory.

Cheers GeoffF

Supern
6th September 2009, 03:56
I have just returned from a trip back to the UK from Oz and incorporated a 'Haj' back to Grimsby and Cleethorpes to tread some old tracks for a day. The college and Hall of Residence look exactly the same save for a few additions and extensions over time. The Victoria St annex where we went sailing on Wednesday afternoons has now gone and replaced with a "Burger King"

Sadly, the Fish Docks and lower town around Riby Square etc look very sad and neglected. It was almost as though, when the fishing industry collapsed, they just turned and walked away from the place. I had half expected the Fish Docks and North Wall to have been transformed into industrial parks etc but it just looks dilapidated and abandoned. Knowing how vibrant the place was when I was there in the 60's it was little short of heartbreaking to see the state of the place as it is now.

Here are a handful of pix - I have more if anyone is interested to see.

Cheers
Alan Marsden

I was born in Grimsby and have a large extended family going way back in the area and its so sad to see what has happened after the fishing declined, of course our family was involved in fishing, my great grandfathers, great uncle, aunt's family were in business when first started to freeze fish, etc all gone and they have decimated the town centre got rid of the Bull Ring horrible.

Going over next year and dread to see what I will find.

trotterdotpom
6th September 2009, 07:09
What have they done to the Bull Ring?

John T.

Supern
6th September 2009, 07:16
Its a while since i was there but they have made a shopping centre and another shopping centre up where the market is and its just not the same as I remember. Other towns in the UK have kept old stuff not Grimsby. The church looks kind of out of place now. My Grandfather used to go to the Granby pub in the Bull Ring and send out a lemonade for me. Those were the days ay

Also all the little pubs have gone around the area not like Northumberland where we lived when I married they have plenty of them

pilot
6th September 2009, 07:21
The dock area was used as a film set of Dunkirk during the BEF evacuation. Bet they had to tart it up a bit in the name of reality!

gkh151
6th September 2009, 09:04
Hi to All,

I attended the nautical annexe at Lock Hill first in 1967 for fishing training which involved a trip on the Ross Mallard with Alf Hodson junior as skipper,what a character he was.

Also one of the instructors at the college was Alf Hodson senior I remember he was a decent artist and did several paintings of Grimsby vessels. I wonder what happened to them?. If memory serves me right I think George Lill was one of the other instructors also known as Teapot Lill for obvious reasons.

Some of the memories I have from there still bring a smile to my face all these years later. Great times, Great laughs with a Great bunch of lads.

Graham

trotterdotpom
6th September 2009, 11:19
Graham, there were quite a few Skipper Hodsons, but I think I also sailed with Alf Jr - on Ross Kelvin. He was hilarious - the movie Jungle Book had just been released and he did a great "I'm the King of the Swingers", dancing round the bridge with the rubber radar viewer thingy on his head.

There used to be a website with some of Alf Sr's paintings on (he would also do commissions I think), but can't find it now.

However, for trawler paintings, you can't go wrong with our own Steve Farrow - I'm looking at his Port Vale as I write.

John T.

gkh151
6th September 2009, 13:36
Hi John,

That sounds exactly like the type of thing Alf would do. The Hodson's are distant relatives my fathers sister was married to Lewis the only one of the brothers that never went to sea. He always said he would go to sea if they built bridges across. But for him not going to sea there was nothing he could'nt tell you about a trawl or how to shoot it. He probabaly new more about the sea than some of the active skippers of his times.

If you do find any info regarding the website with Alf's paintings please let me know I would love to have another look and I know what you say about Steve Farrow he does some fantastic paintings. I have seen some of his work and he is truly gifted, I wish I was the same.

Graham

gkh151
6th September 2009, 13:44
John T

I think it was Eddie Hodson that had the Kelvin in 1968 I'm not sure if either of the Alf's skippered her. Saying that I could see Eddie doing the king of the swingers he was another character in fact they all were. I sailed with Bill on the Tiger when she broke the port record for the north sea. Some trip that was.

Graham

trotterdotpom
7th September 2009, 11:10
Graham. "Eddy" rings a bell - think you're right.

John T.

trotterdotpom
7th September 2009, 11:17
Graham, found the site but for some reason I can't get the pictures up. Maybe to do with my computer. However, there is an email and a postal address on the site if that is any use to you. See:

http://xyz960.tripod.com/watercolourprintsbyalfhodson/index.html

John T.

gkh151
7th September 2009, 21:09
Hi John,

Thanks for posting that link. I have taken a look and as you said you can't see the pictures. I will send an e-mail and see what I get back.
Graham

Adrian Lungenmuss
24th October 2009, 15:20
Hi there,
I was at GCFE in 1963ish doing PMG Cert. I remember Martin Kelly (went on to Decca Navigator), Chris Gostick (went on to British Antarctic Survey), Bill Lusher, Bill Spray (Decca Navigator also), Adrian Lungenmuss an several others. Remember Frank Priest, Pico and Bob someone who told me to send with my other foot.
Jim Sansbury

With a name like mine I often do a Google search on it to see what comes up and what a blast from the past. I have happy memories of the old crew. Mick Plum and Bill Spray were the ushers at my wedding 42 years ago. I never went to sea but used my PMG cert to get a job in computing and have done that for nearly 45 years.

aragosa
28th October 2009, 13:32
Hello Alan and Steve. Les Lacey here in Kentucky USA new member. Went to Fleetwood Nautical College 1967/69 shared a flat with a guy called Steve Shrouder who I believe later worked on QE2. I use to joke I had more radio kit than he did when I worked freelance for Northern Trawlers out of Grimsby.
Steve,..have admired your paintings from afar. Nice work. Do you have a painting of (GY 257 I think) S/T Vanessa / Northern -BUT. My home for quite a while.
Also would like to find out about two guys you might know. Charlie Board Northern R/O freelancer via Redifon from Cleethorpes worked on Coldstreamer for a good while. Beautifully musical morse.
Also Michael Neve from Cleethorpes Mate on the Vanessa during the 1970/71 conflict. Cheers from Kentucky. L

haywood
24th November 2009, 01:41
Iwas one of the first on the catering curse merchantnave lived in diggs on sea front clethorpes 1965 instructers wear Mr Hills and Mr Borman (sitting on the fence in the moonlight)

jimmy62alan
15th August 2011, 21:10
Hi Guys,
Being a none Grimsby I person i want to pick your brains a bit, could you tell me if the college is still there and if so could you tell me what training boats/vessels do they use for the training????
In the future I want to buy a ex-trawler and convert and restore it for personal use, but I won't be using all the time and would like the nautical groups to have the use of it.
If you have any contacts for me to try I will be very grateful. cheers 4 now.
ALAN

Chris Rayfield
6th October 2011, 21:53
I started the PMG course at Grimsby in Sept '63 and was in the same class as Jim Sansbury and Adrian Lungenmuss. I remember them, and all the people they mention, well. I was one of the crowd who lived in the YMCA although I moved into digs in the second term. Others in the YM were Martin Perry, Steve Goldsbrough, Bob Shaw, Stuart Robertson and Phil Harley. There were two classes, the younger chaps were taught by Mr Wilson (Bob Wilson) and the older ones by Leslie "Pico" Mills. After Christmas Pico took the Specials and Wilson took the slimmed down PMG class. A year later when the results of the Part 1 exam came out, Wilson came into the classroom and announced that everyone in the room at that moment had passed the Part 1 (17 out of 18). Gus Smith was the one who didn't get through. I don't know what happened to him.

In 1989 I was in Grimsby on business and phoned Captain Keene (Sidney). He was living in a portable home at Swinhope near Binbrook, a widower by then and retired but still involved in nautical training. In this connection he had some contact with the Chamber of Shipping for which I was working at the time. He told me that Bob Wilson had died sometime previously; I think it was a brain tumour. Pico was still alive then and living in Louth.

Bob Shaw and Stuart Robertson were particular friends of mine. They have both been out in New Zealand for some years now and I am still in touch with them. Ray Holborn lived in Southend-on-Sea the last time I was in touch with him.

In the late 1980s I briefly made contact again with Bill Lusher. He was featured in an article in one of the weekend colour magazines about people who built their own houses. I eventually tracked him down, somewhere near Milton Keynes. He was working for the C.A.A. Funny thing was, although we had been quite good friends at Grimsby, when I phoned him he couldn't remember me from Adam!

trotterdotpom
9th October 2011, 07:24
Alan, a generous offer but the Nautical Department of the college is long gone unfortunately.

I obtained Les Mills' address a couple of years ago (from Chris Hill another ex GY student)s and wrote to him. Received a nice reply from him - he was still in Louth but moving from his house to an old folks home across the road.

Frank Weber and Mr Townsend, who you may also recall, died some time ago.

John T.

paul williamson
9th February 2012, 19:06
I attended gcot nautical college 66 till 67 for catering and was in the Hall of Residence for 1 year,cant remember names.john chowder? from Leeds, perhaps ? dawson. Most residents where Radio operators .Can anyone remember the ghost episode in one Dorm?.which the conclusion was that years before some one had hung themselves in that room at the Hall of Residence,or was it a Hoax I still remeber the carpet spinning! and no one admitted anything to the Commander. Paul

Martyn Hammond
29th May 2012, 17:11
I was at Grimsby in 67, at the hall of residence with Esmerelda and Quasimodo (Cmdr Shiels and wife) for deck pre-sea, then in 71 for 2nd mates and 73 for mates
I went to sea with Reardon-Smiths,
I remember Dawson, George ? both went with Bank Line; Ian Roberts, Dave Booth

Andy Lucas
17th October 2012, 14:44
I also admit to being there and held my 18th birthday in the Wheatsheaf
pub just down the road.In 44 years only ever met Andy Griffin (past away) and Duncan Callendar from the class of '98.
I can remember a few names but need a clue to remember more!

Spent my last 6 years at sea before retirement Dredging and Grimsby was on our schedule so I made the complete cycle - from start to end!

Andy Lucas

brenda helliwell
26th November 2012, 18:56
Is anyone in touch with Stuart Robertson who was at grimsby nautical college and was a radio officer. And was there I think in1968? He is my cousin. He married a New Zealand girl called Lois and emigrated to NZ. His mother M.arjorie later moved there also. I would love to hear how he is and would be grateful for any info. My email is brendahelliwellphysio@msn.com and thanks!

Charlie Swann
6th December 2012, 02:40
Hi Everyone - I was just googling Grimsby Nautical College to see if it was still in action and found this board. A couple of the photo's have brought back memories...especially the picture of 61 Bargate... but unfortunately no one from my class seem to have logged in.....Chris Bunting, Dick Hill, Paul Peace, Mick Raynor, Mick Kirk, Mat Cooper and others who's names seem to have faded after 40 years. If anyone has any news please get in contact.

We were the first year/bunch to do the Marine Radio General Certificate which replaced the PMG - I don't remember Frank Webber being particularly strict although I do remember him once yelling at me during a morse lesson for not using "GM OM" commencing communication...I never forgot to use it after that...Sorry to hear he passed away....time seems to have flown by.
Regards to all....Charlie.

johnnyfreebooter
23rd December 2012, 17:22
Hi Charlie. I think I was initially in your class before the deck/radio separation took place? I certainly remember the names you quote. I ended up going on the GY trawlers until I foresaw the inevitable decline...and then farming until recently...now, well, still on the water messing about with yachts, particularly my own. Merry Christmas. John

Charlie Swann
23rd December 2012, 23:21
Hi John - I'm amazed I can't remember all the names and yet some things I do remember so vividly - As I recall Mick Kirk went onto the trawlers for a while until he could get back to do a re-sit for the MRGC exams. I bet that was a roller coaster ride. I remember being on big ships where your feet would leave the floor as she went back down...haha...I dread to think what it was like on a trawler....Anyway John I started there September 1969 and stayed in the Halls of Residence for the first year - Do you remember Mr. Haxley. He was quite a character. :)

Trinity Bouy
20th February 2013, 14:00
Thought I'd throw my two pennyworth in...............
Was just googling the old college, did the MRGC 76-79 then on to Hull for the Radar course. Then wrote to 193 shipping companies globally and then the realisation that the shipping industry was in decline. Nothing turned up, even the General Secretary of the REOU wrote (in reply to my question why they allowed radio companies to advertise in the Signal when there were no jobs !) advising that myself and fellow classmates should grasp any job ashore with both hands as they could not foresee any of us gaining employment as seagoing R/O's. Got a couple of job offers with NHS (Technician) and EMI (Missile systems), then offered post with Safmarine but turned it over to a pal Rick Hornsby when a R/O's job came up offshore and off I went (incidentally, from a class of 25 only 2 of us made it to being R/O's). Which is where some names cropped up.....
Dick Hill became my manager offshore in Holland (Northlandic), I understand he's now writing articles on green energy and still lives in Rotterdam. Ty Bunce I also worked with offshore. Len Townsend, sadly passed away 4 years ago, not many old staff at the funeral due to age and infirmity. Len was a wonderful person and did a great deal to enhance my career, even getting me up to speed for the GCHQ morse test in his own time after I had left the college.

After ten years offshore I joined the United Nations as a Radio Officer and met quite a few interesting individuals in a few countries over the years.

Best wishes to you all, and I hope people are still reading this forum.

keating1975
21st October 2013, 09:42
I was at GCoT in 1968, staying at Halls of Residence but left after a few months. But returned again in 1971 and once again stayed at Halls of Residence before getting digs in Cleethorpes, down Albert Road.
Pico Mills seemed very old when I was at Grimsby so surprised he has outlived the other lecturers!! I have some pictures of some of my fellow students who were at college in 1971/74 and will look for them and post on here.

staithessparky
12th February 2014, 15:10
hi martin I remember you well, you used to cut hair for 2/6s. john dawson is the big guy you remember , dave booth was from Nottingham I spoke to ian Roberts a few years ago but no one since. Be nice to hear from you.
Paul Hart

Martyn Hammond
24th March 2014, 20:38
hi martin I remember you well, you used to cut hair for 2/6s. john dawson is the big guy you remember , dave booth was from Nottingham I spoke to ian Roberts a few years ago but no one since. Be nice to hear from you.
Paul Hart

Dear Paul,

I also remember you, I think - were you from Scunthorpe email me at martynhammond@yahoo.com and we can catch up

Martyn

Dave the Vicar
3rd July 2014, 17:50
Alan,

Greetings

I was at GCFE from 1963 until 1967. Your name does not ring a bell.

Best regards

Dave Woods.

Dave, weren't you the year ahead of Alan and I? Same year as Bruce and Spud Murphy etc?

Dave the Vicar
3rd July 2014, 17:52
Thanks Alan, did you dye your beard ginger? Having seen your other photos, as you say, a sad sight.

John T.

Same John Trotter perhaps? Used to work lighthouses before going for sparks ticket? Somewhat 'odd' sense of humour?

Dave the Vicar
3rd July 2014, 17:53
Dear Paul,

I also remember you, I think - were you from Scunthorpe email me at martynhammond@yahoo.com and we can catch up

Martyn

God I remember John Dawson! Had a flat on Hainton Avenue at one time!

Dave the Vicar
3rd July 2014, 18:00
Holland, that is John O'Brien - now living in Hampshire.

John T.

Ah! Alan and I spent a month trying to remember his name John!
Are you in contact with him please?

Dave P

trotterdotpom
3rd July 2014, 18:09
Ah! Alan and I spent a month trying to remember his name John!
Are you in contact with him please?

Dave P

Hello Dave, welcome to SN.

Sorry I lost Boris's email address but I can try to get it from Graham Turner. He's in Wellington now and I saw him a few months ago - john and wife visited him a couple of years ago. They live in Fareham near Portsmouth. Watch this space.

What's this about an odd sense of humour .... it's all deadly serious!

John T

Dave the Vicar
3rd July 2014, 18:32
Hello Dave, welcome to SN.

Sorry I lost Boris's email address but I can try to get it from Graham Turner. He's in Wellington now and I saw him a few months ago - john and wife visited him a couple of years ago. They live in Fareham near Portsmouth. Watch this space.

What's this about an odd sense of humour .... it's all deadly serious!

John T

Thanks John. Yes, Boris - we couldn't even remember his nickname! I have emailed Graham in NZ (are you out there too?) but a while back - now lost his email address.

I'm sure you recall those '...odd' jokes from your lighthouse days :-)
Gathering quite a list now; hard to place which year they were in though.

IIRC you came in to do 2nd class as we (Alan, Boris and I) were doing 1st and radar? That would be 68 or 69?

Dave Woods
3rd July 2014, 20:29
Dave, weren't you the year ahead of Alan and I? Same year as Bruce and Spud Murphy etc?

Dave, Was it you who was on a Bank boat astern Sirsa In Visak India at Christmas 68.

trotterdotpom
3rd July 2014, 22:32
Thanks John. Yes, Boris - we couldn't even remember his nickname! I have emailed Graham in NZ (are you out there too?) but a while back - now lost his email address.

I'm sure you recall those '...odd' jokes from your lighthouse days :-)
Gathering quite a list now; hard to place which year they were in though.

IIRC you came in to do 2nd class as we (Alan, Boris and I) were doing 1st and radar? That would be 68 or 69?

I think I started when you had just got 2nd Class and were leaving ... 1967. The mad lad with the London taxi
was finishing too. I followed you on Denholm's "Industria", so close that they put your name under my photo in the Denholms News. We had a chat on the air at the Escravos Bar when you were on a Shell tanker doing the Bonny Shuffle. How do I remember all this? I don't know .... What day is it? I think I'm the Rain Man.

John T

PS I'm on the Big Island near NZ.

Dave the Vicar
4th July 2014, 06:07
Dave, Was it you who was on a Bank boat astern Sirsa In Visak India at Christmas 68.

Odd. I saw the name and that's the first thing I thought of! Christmas... 1971 perhaps? Another UK registered ship ahead and you as RO!

Weren't you in the year ahead of us? With Bruce Wallis, Spud Murphy and Chris ???

Dave P

Dave Woods
4th July 2014, 11:38
Dave, no it was 68 when I was on BI's Sirsa, the only person I ever met from GCFE. Remember the Taxi, I think he was from Nottingham. Bruce Wallis (Mr Plod) Chris Wall (Noddy) ??? Watson (Big Ears) Fred ??? (his father was a trawler skipper in Grimsby) Jon Hartley and ??? Poultney from Sheffield. I also seem to remember a Anglo Indian towards the end of my time from Louth. It took me 3 years to get my PMG and then failed Radar. I joined my First ship in October 67.

Dave the Vicar
4th July 2014, 12:05
Dave, no it was 68 when I was on BI's Sirsa, the only person I ever met from GCFE. Remember the Taxi, I think he was from Nottingham. Bruce Wallis (Mr Plod) Chris Wall (Noddy) ??? Watson (Big Ears) Fred ??? (his father was a trawler skipper in Grimsby) Jon Hartley and ??? Poultney from Sheffield. I also seem to remember a Anglo Indian towards the end of my time from Louth. It took me 3 years to get my PMG and then failed Radar. I joined my First ship in October 67.

I'm impressed Dave! Mr Plod doesn't ring a bell - Bruce was the poser IIRC? Steve (ph or s Stephen) Poultney? Bad acne? Tall? John Hartley.... I think he was in 'our' year (67-69 second class).

The guy with the taxi? Again our year IIRC - bright ginger hair? Glasses? He took it on the beach one night!

How long were you at sea Dave?

Dave Woods
4th July 2014, 16:43
John Hartley left the sea and got a Tech job travelling the rigs in the north sea. Last I heard he was living in France. The lad with the Taxi was John Hutton. How long was I at sea - a bit of a long story, the short version is 41 years. I plodded around the world with Marconi until 96 when I went direct employed. In 88 I joined the Mercury, a Cable and Wireless cable ship and more or less did nothing else from then on except a couple of jobs elsewhere, and then in 96 C&W offered me a job and overnight my pay went from 15K to 22K. In 99 they decided to dispense with R/O's and offered retraining on the cable side of the operation. Just after that they sold all the ships, and the new company bought another 6 to augment the new business they thought they had. So I was propelled upwards at a great rate of knots and was sailing as Chief Cable Engineer within 3 years.

Dave the Vicar
4th July 2014, 17:38
John Hartley left the sea and got a Tech job travelling the rigs in the north sea. Last I heard he was living in France. The lad with the Taxi was John Hutton. How long was I at sea - a bit of a long story, the short version is 41 years. I plodded around the world with Marconi until 96 when I went direct employed. In 88 I joined the Mercury, a Cable and Wireless cable ship and more or less did nothing else from then on except a couple of jobs elsewhere, and then in 96 C&W offered me a job and overnight my pay went from 15K to 22K. In 99 they decided to dispense with R/O's and offered retraining on the cable side of the operation. Just after that they sold all the ships, and the new company bought another 6 to augment the new business they thought they had. So I was propelled upwards at a great rate of knots and was sailing as Chief Cable Engineer within 3 years.

I remember John Hutton, bit of a character. John H less so, quiet type IIRC?
41 years must be some sort of a record for sparks?

Cable engineer as in cable layers? Sounds interesting. Retired now then Dave?

Dave Woods
4th July 2014, 18:53

Yes it was a sort of record, the Union did a two page spread when I retired six years ago.

Yes I laid and repaired underwater telephone cables.

Cunarder
10th July 2014, 01:05

I remember meeting John Hutton once in the Gulf somewhere early 70's. He was sailing on a BI boat which was moored ahead of us. Lost contact after that.

Cunarder
10th July 2014, 01:09
Thought I'd throw my two pennyworth in...............
Was just googling the old college, did the MRGC 76-79 then on to Hull for the Radar course. Then wrote to 193 shipping companies globally and then the realisation that the shipping industry was in decline. Nothing turned up, even the General Secretary of the REOU wrote (in reply to my question why they allowed radio companies to advertise in the Signal when there were no jobs !) advising that myself and fellow classmates should grasp any job ashore with both hands as they could not foresee any of us gaining employment as seagoing R/O's. Got a couple of job offers with NHS (Technician) and EMI (Missile systems), then offered post with Safmarine but turned it over to a pal Rick Hornsby when a R/O's job came up offshore and off I went (incidentally, from a class of 25 only 2 of us made it to being R/O's). Which is where some names cropped up.....
Dick Hill became my manager offshore in Holland (Northlandic), I understand he's now writing articles on green energy and still lives in Rotterdam. Ty Bunce I also worked with offshore. Len Townsend, sadly passed away 4 years ago, not many old staff at the funeral due to age and infirmity. Len was a wonderful person and did a great deal to enhance my career, even getting me up to speed for the GCHQ morse test in his own time after I had left the college.

After ten years offshore I joined the United Nations as a Radio Officer and met quite a few interesting individuals in a few countries over the years.

Best wishes to you all, and I hope people are still reading this forum.

Read your story with interest and a little sadness. Compare that to '68 when I left GY with 1st/Radar, I applied to a dozen companies and I think I got job offers from 10 of them - I chose to go with Thos & Jno Brocklebanks out of GLV and eventually ended up on Cunard pax ships. Heady days when jobs were for the asking - I'd go back there in a heartbeat!. Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Oldboater
5th August 2014, 18:19
Earlier this year four of us ex GCFE old boys met up in Lincoln for a catch up. Attendees were Mike Chaplin, Steve Marshall, Malc Kemp and myself Martyn Cowell. We all attended during the period 1962 to 1965, happy days and memories of College dances and Rag weeks, how times have changed! As may be expected we are all now in retirement.

Regards to all

Martyn