The Untouchables

Hague
29th March 2007, 22:21
The following story was related to me after I left the 'China' but all the names I recognized.
Apparently, there was one 'China' boat allowed 'around the land' by the Unions during the Seamans Strike to discharge Palm Oil. A 'D' boat I believe.As this was the only ships moving there was a lot of the coastal crowd available. Three in particular who were known as the Untouchables namely Aussie Burke (in his 80s) Freddie Gossage (in his late 70s) and the 'young fella' Tug Wilson (early 70s). Generally, Eader would put them on different ships as it was clear they were night watch up in Shieldhall. On this occasion they were together and although they all 'pulled there weight' there was some good seniority rivalry amongst them.
One evening as the crowd were waiting to be 'turned to' at 1800 hrs to complete the 'token' overtime. Friddie was 'waxing lyrical about the 'old days' when he joined one the 'Welsh Thieves and Colonial Liars ( William Thomas & Co of Oriel Chambers) ships in the Salthouse Dock (1904). Beating around the Irish sea for days looking for a 'Southing' then several weeks later around Cape Verde whilst on the 'port tack' and making a good 7 knots there appeared from 4 points on the port bow to 4 points on the Starboard bow a black cloud which apparently turned out to be a swarm of locusts. Within an hour of the locusts decending on the ship they went off with the whole 'suit of canvas'. The ship was stripped to the Spars!
Aussie, on hearing this piped in with. I remember that incident I was in one of the Black Ballers and we sailed out of Salthouse about a week later. We too had trouble getting a good Southing but about several days North of Cape Verde we were on the 'Starboard Tack' making 8 knots. When all of a sudden there was a White cloud from four points to port to four points to stbd bow. I'll never forget says Aussie, within an hour a swarm of locusts past us. All wearing Canvas Suits.

Hmmmmmm......

makko
30th March 2007, 00:03
Great story, Hague!! There is definitely a whiff of Corporation Road to that one!! Ha Ha!

Regards,

Dave

dom
30th March 2007, 03:01
nice one(Thumb)

Eggo
30th March 2007, 11:06
Those old timers amazed me , one of whom was George Dodd from Birkenhead . Can picture him now in a boatswains chair up the main mast and he was 65 then.One young EDH learned the hard way not to be cheeky to the old boys , George had to smack his bottom . Any form of age discrimination was certainly unwise with that lot.

cheddarnibbles
31st March 2007, 12:26
Those old timers amazed me , one of whom was George Dodd from Birkenhead . Can picture him now in a boatswains chair up the main mast and he was 65 then.One young EDH learned the hard way not to be cheeky to the old boys , George had to smack his bottom . Any form of age discrimination was certainly unwise with that lot.

Cheeky EDH's were dealt with by one Scouse crowd on Dolius in 1959,during a visit to Rejang. A pair of them were stripped naked and had their 'wedding tackle' fully immersed in a tin of Stockholm tar then suspended above No.4 hatch when the evening meal was being served.
They were never insubordinate again, maybe because they missed their tea, but probably because it took the rest of the trip to clean up !!