Dunnottar Castle

joller6
2nd April 2007, 07:17
The Dunnottar Castle has a very special meaning to me,as it was my very first Ship i sailed on and also her very last Voyage from Cape Town to London King George 5th Docks.
Having worked on the South African Railways for a few years before,i gained a lot of experience in Silver Service (serving passengers)thus when i applied for the position on the Dunnottar Castle as a 1st Class Assistant Stewrad, i was more than thrilled that the Chief Steward accepted my application there and then.
Well to say the least from then it was a real run around getting all my necessary things in order,such as my Police Clearance,Travel Documentation etc.
I was running from pillar to post for a full day,but managed to get everything done,it was close but i made it.
I then reported to the Chief Steward and was given the task of cleaning the Dining Saloon Steps,well that shook me a bit,but on i went and did the job.
Before i knew it we were well underway,and i recall looking out the porthole just in time to see my dear Mother and baby Sister standing there crying.
Well that also brought tears to my eyes,but it soon passed and i was now well and truly at Sea.
It was a memorable trip for me as well as a very new experience to say the least.
I served in the 1st Class Lounge,with only 2 tables of 4 guests each,so it was for me a piece of cake,after running aroung on the Trains serving up to 3 sittings of 12 passengers.
We had a lovely trip via the Canary Islands,the only thing was i recall it being very very hot through the Tropics Whew!! and the passengers still ate like mad!!!!
After rather a slower trip than it would normally have taken another mail boat we arrived in London in the wee hours and it was very foggy,my first look at the old London fog haha!!
One other thing was the lovely White Cliffs of Dover i saw on approaching England,it was awesome!!
Yes those were the days and i was then just a mere lad of 17 years of age.
I later went on to Southampton to join the mail run and served on quite a few like the Winchester,Sterling,Braemar (Round Africa) etc.
The Golden Years of my life.

See attached Pic of Dunnottar Castle and a Pic of me when i was a Train Stewrad on the SARailways
Cheers
Vernon

ruud
2nd April 2007, 07:56
Ahoy Vernon,
Good story mate, here another shot of her.
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5261/dunnottarcastle1936adunch3.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dunnottarcastle1936adunch3.jpg)
Courtesy/ŠA.Duncan

Aldinga
3rd April 2007, 09:09
Hello Vernon
I to have a soft spot for the old Dunnottar Castle, my first ship also, straight out of the Vindicatrix and sailed on her for three trips in 1955. Came back for another trip end of 1956. Here is a photo of her, it looks like it was taken in the beautiful harbour of Dar es Salaam. I am not sure how I acquired it

Ron

joller6
8th October 2007, 00:56
Hi Ron,
Yes mate that was a good old Ship,the Pic oof it as shown here is actually a Pic that i posted on the Net quite some time ago in another Forum found it whilst surfing somewhere also not too sure where it was haha!! Old age catching me.
Nice to hear of someone else who was on at the same time
Vernon

joller6
8th October 2007, 00:59
Thanks for the comment,and that other Pic of the Dunnottar Castle,it really is a lovely one of her.
Brings back mant fond Memories.
Cheers Vernon

alanst500
13th February 2013, 00:07
Hi My Dad sailed with this ship to Algeirs with 75 Laa 1943
Here is a very good picture of it

R58484956
13th February 2013, 15:59
Greetings Alanst500 and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

alanst500
13th February 2013, 23:29
Thanks for the welcome looking at the picture in my reply what year would you say this was taken.
Alan.

William Paulus
25th September 2014, 22:52
Sad to say there is a dearth of detailed information as to hull modifications done to DUNNOTTAR CASTLE when she was converted to VICTORIA in The Netherlands 1958-1959. Aside from her interiors being gutted, re-engined, BOTH her bow and stern were reshaped. Bow extensions are relatively common, but few vessels, as in this case, had her former "cruiser stern" rebuilt into a very contemporary spoon-shape. All these changes though, only increased her overall length twelve feet. Aside from MEDIA to FLAVIA, almost impossible to trace her origins.