J Ray McDermott - North Sea late 70's

Reedhouse
3rd April 2007, 15:31
Hello - New member, ex Marine Engineer, and some time with the above outfit.
Anybody know of any links to photographs, particularly JB4
LB27, or DB15 while they were working offshore.
Thanks.

gdynia
3rd April 2007, 15:34
Try putting J Ray McDermott into a Google search and alot of webpages come up.I can remember the DB16 in North Sea but not DB15

gdynia
3rd April 2007, 15:43
Here is the 27

http://www.jraymcdermott.com/vessel%20brochures/DB27.pdf

gdynia
3rd April 2007, 15:48
Here is 16

http://www.jraymcdermott.com/vessel%20brochures/DB16.pdf

Reedhouse
3rd April 2007, 15:56
Cheers Gydnia,
Thanks for the link, DB 15 worked in the southern sector of the North Sea, but spent a considerable time latterly laid up in Antwerp.

maritimephoto
3rd April 2007, 22:42
Hi Reedhouse,

Could you describe the 15 while I have a picture of an DB or LB barge in tow of a SEASPAN tug. She looks more a laybarge to me and I think it's LB27 but not sure on that.

Cheers,

Wim

Reedhouse
4th April 2007, 07:19
Hello Wim,

JB4 - was a Jet barge that trenched pipelines laid by LB27 a Lay barge , both worked out of Antwerp and were crewed up from Yarmouth.
Quite unusual vessels, and to date I have not found any non-company photos.
DB15, was one of the first generation of crane barges, which picked up a lot of work in the early development of the gas fields off Norfolk, but spent the time I was with them laid up in Belgium.

Cheers - Reed.

Norman Trewren
4th April 2007, 21:30
I worked with LB 27, 28, 29, DB 15, 16, 22 and JB 3, towing them in the northern North Sea and to/from Antwerp (with a Seaspan Tug!) in the 70's. Would you believe I've got plenty pics of thetugs, but very few of the barges!

Norman

Reedhouse
5th April 2007, 06:41
Norman,
The McDermott vessels were basically work horses, but much more than simple barges, hence my interest in any photo's that might be around.
Crew changed many times by tug out of Peterhead, intially Wimpey, and then some Scandanavian outfit whose name I forget.
Cheers - Reed

Norman Trewren
5th April 2007, 17:48
You're right there, Reed, and weren't there some characters aboard them too. I remember crew changing out of Peterhead, Theriot Offshore IV springs to mind. Up on the barge by basket, then down to the tug. Hairy!

Regards
Norman

maritimephoto
19th May 2007, 11:51
Reed, Norman,

Just dug up my images of SEASPAN COMMODORE and LB27 (I assume) but my scanner seems to have a day-off :)

Hope to find some time this weekend to scan both images.

Cheers,

Wim

Norman Trewren
19th May 2007, 13:24
Thanks, Wim - Look forward to seeing them.

Regards

Norman

maritimephoto
20th May 2007, 13:05
As mentioned, a scan of a McDermott laybarge photographed while passing the Flushing Boulevard 31-03-1975 in tow of the SEASPAN COMMODORE.

Is this indeed LB27?

Cheers,

Wim

Reedhouse
23rd May 2007, 15:45
Thanks Wim,
I started this post, unfortunately I cant confirm it's the 27 either, spent most of my time on the JB4- offshore and prior to that,on the DB15 in Antwerp.
Brings back memories though, Cheers again - Reed

paj
29th August 2008, 21:04
hi reedhouse,
that picture is definately the LB 27. I worked on her from 1974 to 1979. I worked as end prep operator when they were using automatic welding and as a rigger when they wasn,t. Worked mainly in the frigg field but done a season of southern ireland and also went to venuezala with her. Had a great time in antwerp when we were working there. I am surprised there are not more posts on this thread. paj

Reedhouse
24th September 2008, 23:40
Paj,

I joined the outfit prior to their move to Rotterdam.Seem to think the barges were getting too big for Antwerp.
Many of their crews were recruited out of Yarmouth.
Still happy memories of Antwerp, in particular the Mission up the road, but my first taste of offshore engineering (marine engineering background - but small stuff compared to J- Ray's operation).
Did one season prior to heading off to the drilling game !
Reed

paj
25th September 2008, 18:48
hi reed
yes i had some very good memories of the mission, they allways made you very welcome. after doing a 12 hr shift we were allways ready for a few beers. also went to a small town nearby but cant remember the name of it, but had some good action there.
paj.

O.M.Bugge
2nd May 2009, 11:04
Does any members have, or know where to find, a famous pics of LB 200 riding out a storm at Statfjord B in Nov. 1981?

The pics was taken from up on the platform and shows LB 200 with spray flying over top of the Tower. It was widely circulated and used in advertising some times later.

She was working as Floatel at the time, with 550 persons, incl. abt. 50 females. I was the Marine Advisor on board during that assignment.

Medic1
31st August 2010, 16:39
Hi
Just stumbled on this.
I was a medic on LB27 for one season in 1980.
Sailed with Captain "Black" Bergeron
This bought back some memories, thanks
Dave Olley

jdaioc123
29th December 2010, 09:25
Hi Norman,
Just reading the thread you wrote with regard to relieving by basket in the North Sea, talk about Tarzan films and also towing the LB27, and other MacDermott, Brown and Route, ETPM barges etc to and from Antwerp and around the North Sea, in the mid 70`s. I myself was with Seaspan as were a few of the United Towing lads at that time. My lasting memory of the DB22, Barge Capt Eustas Champaine, was her dropping the bridge from the storage tank to the jacket as they were just starting to build Ekofiske. I was mate on the Zeus at that point with a Capt Bill Spry from LA, we were laid along side the barge when she dropped the bridge (a 200ton lift) collapsing the boom, which was hung over the side and trailing on the sea bed. There was a mass exodus from the barge, with the Portugues deck crew along with quite a few Americans jumping from the barge to the deck of the Zeus & Sea Flyer, we had approximatly 140 od cases of broken bones etc. Anyway we got the job of taking the barge into Rotterdam "with the boom still trailing" (from Ekofiske to Rotterdam via circuitous route (impossible to achieve today), trying to miss pipe lines etc) something which would cause an outrage today just for mentioning to try it, not to mention the harbour authorities Rotterdam agreeing to it, probably take them three weeks and a heart transplant to get over the suggestion. "Oh!! Happy Days".

joeneilb
11th May 2012, 22:37
DB-15 is still working for j. Ray in Mexico. DB-16 was sold and is known as Shawnee now. I worked on Shawnee in Mexico, DB-9 in Dubai, DB7,DB8, and Lay barge 26 in Egypt. All have been scrapped by J. Ray. I believe LB27 was scrapped also when they got Lay Barge 100. DLB 27 is in Dubai or was. joeneilb

joeneilb
11th May 2012, 22:41
Picture may be LB27 It is not the LB26 for sure. I believe I have pictures of her.

nav
12th May 2012, 08:27
JB4 had two large housings either side of an alley with the control tower standing forward. On her tow across the Atlantic, large waves ran around the tower and down the alley causing a lot of damage. The solution was to put the large deflectors forward around the tower which gave her her odd look. She always looked like she had a supply boat alongside. A really noisy sob when she was working.

I remember "Black Bergeron" and there were tug skippers who could handle anchors with the best of them but couldn't read or write. The aht's were tiny compared to today's monsters. Was there a tug skipper Cap'n Harvey? I remember them trying to stop him at the limits and less than half a layer of wire left on the drum.

I was on LB27 for the North Cormorant lines to Cormorant Alpha and the Shetland connector.

Fastnet Shore was used as a survey ship to get the as laid position of the pipe and to check for spans.

Norman Trewren
12th May 2012, 09:59
Harvey Hailey

nav
13th May 2012, 20:10
Yes Norman! "Stop her and drop her!" in a southern droll is forever ingrained in my mind.

I also recall a catamaran tug, the Jaramac66? which towed some barges on longer journeys, supposedly very efficient but costly to run because under American Bureau classification it had to have two crews of engineers because there were two engine rooms. I came across her later in Brunei in 1980 where she was only ever used for towing as she could not handle anchors. The crew lazed about the deck in the sunshine all day waiting for something to do.

tboy
31st March 2013, 21:14
hi reed
yes i had some very good memories of the mission, they allways made you very welcome. after doing a 12 hr shift we were allways ready for a few beers. also went to a small town nearby but cant remember the name of it, but had some good action there.
paj.

Could you possibly be thinking of Lillo?

tboy
31st March 2013, 21:17
JB4 had two large housings either side of an alley with the control tower standing forward. On her tow across the Atlantic, large waves ran around the tower and down the alley causing a lot of damage. The solution was to put the large deflectors forward around the tower which gave her her odd look. She always looked like she had a supply boat alongside. A really noisy sob when she was working.

I remember "Black Bergeron" and there were tug skippers who could handle anchors with the best of them but couldn't read or write. The aht's were tiny compared to today's monsters. Was there a tug skipper Cap'n Harvey? I remember them trying to stop him at the limits and less than half a layer of wire left on the drum.

I was on LB27 for the North Cormorant lines to Cormorant Alpha and the Shetland connector.

Fastnet Shore was used as a survey ship to get the as laid position of the pipe and to check for spans.

Maybe you are thinking of Harvey Haley? If so, that was my father-in law! I worked on the JB3 until 1977

tboy
31st March 2013, 21:17
Harvey Hailey

Harvey Haley. He was my father in law

tboy
31st March 2013, 21:18
Yes Norman! "Stop her and drop her!" in a southern droll is forever ingrained in my mind.

I also recall a catamaran tug, the Jaramac66? which towed some barges on longer journeys, supposedly very efficient but costly to run because under American Bureau classification it had to have two crews of engineers because there were two engine rooms. I came across her later in Brunei in 1980 where she was only ever used for towing as she could not handle anchors. The crew lazed about the deck in the sunshine all day waiting for something to do.

That was the L.E. Stewert. My father in law, Harvey Haley was capt. On her.

tboy
31st March 2013, 21:27
Hello - New member, ex Marine Engineer, and some time with the above outfit.
Anybody know of any links to photographs, particularly JB4
LB27, or DB15 while they were working offshore.
Thanks.

I have one of the JB4 taken from a helo while working in the Shetlands, I believe.

joeneilb
31st March 2013, 23:56
I have one of the JB4 taken from a helo while working in the Shetlands, I believe.

She is in Mexico. Owned by Technip. Used to belong to Go\lobal ind.

tboy
1st April 2013, 00:01
Thanks for that. It's been so long and reading some of these posts sure take me back! I worked on the LB23 for a short period before transferring to the JB 3. We worked a lot further south than the JB4.

Thanks so much.

Jim

joeneilb
1st April 2013, 01:44
i worked on the LB23 too with Toby Thorpe as my ASup. In Egypt

tboy
1st April 2013, 02:03
Nookie Hebert and J.C Hebert were Supts. in the North Sea.

Offshore Engineer
1st April 2013, 21:49
I joined McD 1973 0n JB3 jetting the first North Sea line from Ekofisk to Middlesborough, worked on her until she transfered to the States and work in the GOM, joined DB 100 in Korea during construction phase, then back to North Sea on JB4, did a couple of stints on the LB 23 & 27. Antwerp was a dream of a place to be with many very interesting nights in Lillo-Fort with head-aches next morning, what a wild bunch of real offshore guys in the early days" No sea too rought-No M**f too tough". Tex Cargil, Charlie Mathews, Joe Huskins, Lee Oliver, Vinney Esponge, all deck crew guys, The late Tony Tucker and his Engineering crew, just to name a few, have boxes of photos at home, but for now am off-shore Mexico, will post photos at a later date.

tboy
1st April 2013, 21:57
I joined McD 1973 0n JB3 jetting the first North Sea line from Ekofisk to Middlesborough, worked on her until she transfered to the States and work in the GOM, joined DB 100 in Korea during construction phase, then back to North Sea on JB4, did a couple of stints on the LB 23 & 27. Antwerp was a dream of a place to be with many very interesting nights in Lillo-Fort with head-aches next morning, what a wild bunch of real offshore guys in the early days" No sea too rought-No M**f too tough"

I started working on the JB3 in the spring of '74 as barge Clerk. My name is Jim. I stayed working as clerk for 2 years and then transferred to tower operator. Charlie Matthews, Louie Sapia and Joe Sapia were barge capts. I left McD in 1977 and came back to the states ans worked on the gulf for Robin towing, Nolty Theriot, and Harvey Gulf International. Oh, how I remember Lillo! I often think of it and also the Barracuda Lounge in Antwerp!

tboy
1st April 2013, 22:07
I joined McD 1973 0n JB3 jetting the first North Sea line from Ekofisk to Middlesborough, worked on her until she transfered to the States and work in the GOM, joined DB 100 in Korea during construction phase, then back to North Sea on JB4, did a couple of stints on the LB 23 & 27. Antwerp was a dream of a place to be with many very interesting nights in Lillo-Fort with head-aches next morning, what a wild bunch of real offshore guys in the early days" No sea too rought-No M**f too tough". Tex Cargil, Charlie Mathews, Joe Huskins, Lee Oliver, Vinney Esponge, all deck crew guys, The late Tony Tucker and his Engineering crew, just to name a few, have boxes of photos at home, but for now am off-shore Mexico, will post photos at a later date.

Last year I found out that Ralph Pitre died.

tboy
1st April 2013, 22:37

Sorry to hear about Tony. I remember hiom well. A quiet and smart man. Also rmember Bill Ohlhausen and Gill Hull.

Shannoner
1st April 2013, 23:16
Hi all, I was on the LB27 in 1981, did two trips, one in June and one later in October both in the NW Hutton field. I was working for Decca Survey as a Field Engineer at the time. First trip we were laying pipe from the new NW Hutton platform and the trip in October we were attempting to finish that job, but the weather had other ideas! We went out by heli from Aberdeen and couldn't land as she was pitching too much, had to land on a production platform and wait 24 hrs and try again, we managed to land second time. Couldn't anchor due to the weather and we were then towed up and down for ten days until they decided to give up and tow us into Lerwick.
Here are some pics from the October '81 trip.
First one is a view from the tower looking to the heli deck, as we pitched into a wave.
The second is a relatively calm day when we manged to get some crew off by heli, I stayed on board till we got to Lerwick.
The third, leaving LB27 in Lerwick.

Offshore Engineer
2nd April 2013, 01:30
I kept in touch with Tony for quite some time after I left McD's he married an English lady who lived in Belgium, brought a very large house and became very involved with the Seamans Mission in Antwerp, sadly McD's did not do him any favours and he died quite a broken man, as for Bill and Gill, have never had any feed back with regard those guys, as for Lillo-Fort, Ahmans bar and the Patent Place still have fond memories.

tboy
2nd April 2013, 01:38
I kept in touch with Tony for quite some time after I left McD's he married an English lady who lived in Belgium, brought a very large house and became very involved with the Seamans Mission in Antwerp, sadly McD's did not do him any favours and he died quite a broken man, as for Bill and Gill, have never had any feed back with regard those guys, as for Lillo-Fort, Ahmans bar and the Patent Place still have fond memories.

I ran into Lil Charlie long ago in the Gulf of Mexico. I saw Spiro some years back on the World News. He had a stroke and was brain dead but being kept alive with machines.

Offshore Engineer
2nd April 2013, 14:09
Sad news with regards Spiro, I shared a room with him for a while, he was a very funny guy, Tom Landry I caught up with in New Orleans when working in the GOM on JB3 but the rest of the Engineering crew have heard nothing from in many years probaly won't now as its retirement for me June 2014, after 9 years on ships and 40 years Offshore enough is enough.

tboy
2nd April 2013, 14:24
I know what you mean. Once I left the offshore business I havent seen one person from the old days. I'm glad that I have some photos and my memory is still pretty good. I moved to Missouri 23 years ago so no chance at all that I'll be running into anyone now.
Yeah, Tom Landry was another great guy. Lester Benoit, Russell Hill, Mike Tate, the diver Supt. named Pete. So many characters!

Offshore Engineer
2nd April 2013, 23:11
True nostalgia my friend, lester Benoit as far as I know married a really young Belgium girl and took her to the States, as per the last news of him he is still married and running a used car lot, would you ever buy a used car from that man????, sadly as we get older all we are left with is the memories from days gone by and hearing that the guys we once worked with have passed on.

tboy
2nd April 2013, 23:20
WOW, that is a surprise about Lester. He was married to a cajun woman when I met him and his family was running a catering business in SW La. I'd sure like to talk to him again. Did you know Raymond Twilbeck? He was on JB4 for a while. I just googled Lester's name and came up with a Lester Benoit living in Thibodaux that is a real estate agent. Wonder if that's him.

Offshore Engineer
3rd April 2013, 20:18
From what I remember of Lester he was areal wheeler dealer, he could be doing anything, the catering scene does ring a bell I must admit, have just found another site with one of the Engineers from the 4 looking for info, Graham Wallace, dont know if you remember him or not, Billy Smathers I believe is still with McD's in dubai with Ron Gowens one of the old ITS hands

tboy
3rd April 2013, 20:27
Yeah, I remember Graham. I also remember Mike. Cant recall his last name but he was, I think, just under Gill. Also Derek. Kinda cocky. You are right about lester. He has a lot of patience and is pretty sharp. Last night I emailed a Lester Benoit that works for a real estate co. There was a photo that sure looked a lot like him, so I hope he responds.

Offshore Engineer
7th April 2013, 00:22
I managed to get hold of Graham Wallace and have been corresponding with him, he got out of the offshore game in 85 and opened up a business with his wife importing, making and selling Terracotta pots, by all accounts he has been at it all these years and has done very well for himself, Doc Diesel is still in Antwerp living with his woman, knowing the Doc he probably got lost leaving Lillo and decided to stay in Belgium. I think the guy mike that you are refering to got tied up with several women in Antwerp on the rebound after his wife kicked him out, I did hear tha a long lost Daughter turned up from out of the blue and that was the thick end of the wedge, all of his women went ape and he replaced them all or something like that, do you remember Midgly Electrician on the 27, he did not go home for a couple of trips as he was shacked up some woman in Antwerp and his wife came on board the 27 looking for him, couldnt find him and ended up getting laid by all of the Mechs and Elects on board, Midgly turned up on the Monday morning ready for work and found his wife well and truly shagged as they say, there was hell on over that little episode. I will see what other info I can get hold of and get back to you

tboy
7th April 2013, 00:35
Oh, of course I remember Doc Diesel! Since doing the payroll as well as many other things, as I jog my memory I remember the names. Tell him hi for me. For the life of me I cant remember Mik;s last name. I just remember that he was I believe a 1st engineer. Usually quiet. If that was him in all that trouble, boy, those chickens sure came home to roost!
No, I didnt know the 27's electrician. I briefly knew some on the 23, but then spent the rest of the time on the JB3. I replaced Ricky Perez and I think he went on one of the Lay Barges. Since I've to Missouri I have less than no chance of running into anyone. I emai8led a Lester Benoit the other night hoping to get a reply, but so far, nothing. I may google others names and see if I can do any good.
Thanks for all your correspondence. Brings back great memories.

Jim Tullier

johnnyplane
27th May 2013, 16:58
I worked on LB27 from 74 to 78 and had 5 months on DB15 I've quite a few pictures that I took over that period in the loft at home, if you want some I'll dig them out and scan them to you.
Regards

frank verhoeven
8th September 2014, 14:35
hi evrybody,

in antwerp i was the waterclerck (ship's agent) for mc dermott inc,i have been on board nearly all barges and tugs/suply vessels of that tim 70/75 i do have good memory's of you all, pensioned now. after mc dermott i went back to sea and sailed for ferry's in the med sea.
always happy to meet somebody from the mc dermott era
regards
capt frank verhoeven

frank verhoeven
8th September 2014, 14:36
[QUOTE=frank verhoeven;1037090]hi evrybody,

in antwerp i was the waterclerck (ship's agent) for mc dermott inc,i have been on board nearly all barges and tugs/suply vessels of that tim 70/75 i do have good memory's of you all, pensioned now. after mc dermott i went back to sea and sailed for ferry's in the med sea.
always happy to meet somebody from the mc dermott era
regards
capt frank verhoeven