Beached wreck in Ireland

Lksimcoe
4th April 2007, 18:40
I have a question. I've read on a couple of sites about a wreck of a passenger liner that was beached and abandoned somewhere on the coast of Ireland.
Does it exist, is it still there, and are there any photo's or google earth coordinates.

Coastie
4th April 2007, 19:15
When I first saw the thread theme, I thought you were referring to Tmac! LOL Seriously, though, is that not the ship which is seen on the opening credits of Father Ted?

benjidog
4th April 2007, 20:31
Coastie - you are a naughty rascal! ;)

You know Tmac1720 is in Norn Iron and will not be amused!

Brian

GALTRA
5th April 2007, 00:50
Would you be referring to Brunel's "Great Britain" ? On her 5th voyage and in poor visability she ran aground just after 21.00 on 22nd Sept 1846 (with180 passengers on board) in Dundrum Bay Co.Down. There she lay untill 27th Aug 1847, when after a lot of expence, about £22,000, and effort she was towed off by HMS Birkenhead and of course can still be seen today in Bristol. Charley.

Lksimcoe
5th April 2007, 20:36
Okay. I went back to the website and checked (Maritime Matters) and I guess my memory bank had a brain burp.
This is what it says

DUKE OF LANCASTER; N/A; 1956; 4,797 GT; N/A; GB; N/A; N/A; Unknown; derelict/beached at Mostyn, Wales, UK; None

Is this wreck still there, and are there any pics of it?

Thanks

GALTRA
5th April 2007, 21:05
Just google Duke of Lancaster and click on images and you'll see all you want of her --Mostyn's fun ship !!!!

Coastie
6th April 2007, 22:28
LKsimcoe.

There are recent pictures of the Duke of Lancaster in the gallery.

Lksimcoe
9th April 2007, 16:20
Thanks to all. I should have googled before asking question. Guess it was another age related brain fart.

maidhc
9th April 2007, 20:39
The Celtic was wrecked off Roches Point
http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/details/Celtic134.htm

I don't think there is much off it left. Certainly nothing above the surface that I ever saw. The Long Valley pub in Cork is partly furnished from what was salvaged.

grangett
11th April 2007, 11:10
Hi,

Anyone out there know the owners of Duke of Lancaster? I am interested in purchasing her subject to all the usual issues.

Ed