What is this?

Chief Engineer's Daughter
5th April 2007, 17:00
This has just come up at the top of the SN front page:

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /includes/include_pp_settings.php on line 149

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /includes/include_pp_settings.php on line 149

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /includes/include_pp_settings.php on line 152

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /includes/include_pp_settings.php on line 152

I have recently been up graded to 8mb broadband connection with BT. Quite frankly at times its slower than the 2mb. What is going on?

bert thompson
5th April 2007, 17:22
Take some water with your whisky
Cheers
Bert

Santos
5th April 2007, 17:28
I am with Orange CED - since I have been upgraded by them, I have been off the web with downtime more than I have been on the web and when I do get on my E Mails have now become very hard to send - keep getting error messages all the time and they wont send at all for hours. Think Port 25 is being blocked.

Chris.

Gavin Gait
5th April 2007, 17:28
Its a problem on the server's that host the site CED nothing to do with your PC or Internet connection don't worry. My guess is that the host has just switched over onto another physical server and in the switch over they have these sorts of errors untill everything is back up and running (Thumb)

5th April 2007, 17:56
Take some water with your whisky
Cheers
Bert

Chance would be a fine thing Bert!!!!

Cheers
Alex

Irvingman
5th April 2007, 18:01
Had the same early this afternoon, cleared now.

Off to put some water in mine...........

pete
5th April 2007, 20:32
Up-dated my service to the BT Homehub and the service has been rubbish. Mumbai call centre don't seem to understand the problem with the system and further I am less than 1 kilometre from the exchange. Have found that powering down the Hub AND the computer, coming back a couple of hours later and re-starting same, will set everything searching again for the best possible connection. It's a pain in the posterior I know but since I did this 5 days ago my speed has increased from 2752 to 7616. Dunno why but it's worth a try............pete

benjidog
5th April 2007, 20:54
Alex,

Davie is quite right about the message.

As for the speed of your connection, you have to think of the internet as a complicated maze of pipes between you and the site you are looking at. If there is a bottleneck at any point, the speed is determined by the bottleneck. So having a fast connection between yourself and your ISP does not get round that.

Regards,

Brian

Binnacle
6th April 2007, 11:16
This has just come up at the top of the SN front page:

I have recently been up graded to 8mb broadband connection with BT. Quite frankly at times its slower than the 2mb. What is going on?

You are not alone, on Outlook Express newsgroups look at "bt.broadband.support"

wee bobby
6th April 2007, 11:29
My-Dear-Chief, I think P/G, has been chow-in the wires(Jester)

gdynia
6th April 2007, 11:33
Alex
You didnt spill any of the Golden Necktar down the back by any chance or has Coastie sabotaged it

K urgess
6th April 2007, 19:04
This seems to be a good test for connection speed.
Gives truthful looking results which is more than can be said for the tests provided by the ISPs.
http://www.speedtest.net/

Cheers
Kris

Coastie
6th April 2007, 23:43
Alex
You didnt spill any of the Golden Necktar down the back by any chance or has Coastie sabotaged it

OI! Giddy, I've not been anywhere near it!(MAD)

7th April 2007, 11:01
Thank you Gents for the information. The speed seems to have increased, haven't had much time on the internet at home the past couple of days. As for spilling Golden Necktar, well, chance would be a fine thing. PG been chow-in the wires? Its no yon thats the problem wi' him, it more liquid and solid related. (EEK)

Tmac1720
7th April 2007, 11:26
OI! Giddy, I've not been anywhere near it!(MAD)

He meant the computer !!!(Jester)

Peter Dryden
17th June 2007, 10:14
This seems to be a good test for connection speed.
Gives truthful looking results which is more than can be said for the tests provided by the ISPs.
http://www.speedtest.net/

Cheers
Kris

Kris,

I have just taken this test, and got results of 1987 kb/s download and 365 kb/s upload.
How can you equate this to ISP's boasts of 2mb, 8mb and I have just seen 24mb broadband speed.

Peter.

ruud
17th June 2007, 10:23
Ahoy,
Have taken the test also;
7900 kb/s download and 962 kb/s upload, cable connection.

newda898
17th June 2007, 13:47
It all depends on how far you are from the exchange (If on an ADSL connection - cable's a different matter entirely)
Apparently most ISP's also sell more bandwidth than they actually have meaning that if everyone of their subscribers is on at the same time then the connection will slow down massively.
My download speed (On Orange....aaaah - they're driving me mad at the moment) normally hovers around 800kbps and upload would rarely be above 300kbps because ADSL operates faster downstream that upstream. (Unless on the newer types such as ADSL2 in which case you can get higher upstream and downstream speeds)

K urgess
17th June 2007, 13:57
Thanks, Daniel, you beat me to it.

The figure quoted by your ISP are just from your computer to their server. If you try that test to a recommended local one and then to somewhere on the other side of the world you'll notice the difference.

My router always tells me that I'm connected at the maximum rate my ISP boasts of. It's either lying to me or it's just to the local server about 500yards away in the backyard of the local police station.

Even using the recommended site for a test gives a variety of results depending on when you do it. There also doesn't seem to be any pattern to it so that you can pick a good time to download that movie from that site in Timbuctoo.[=P]

jd0459
15th July 2007, 14:02
Everything is faster down than it is up isentit

john