Begining and the End Brock Ships

skymaster
6th April 2007, 15:11
Do any of my fellow Brocks colleagues have pictures of launch of any Brock ship or sadly their RETIREMENT?

Mike

Don A.Macleod
8th April 2007, 13:14
Do any of my fellow Brocks colleagues have pictures of launch of any Brock ship or sadly their RETIREMENT?

Mike
A response of some sorts Mike,I feel you may be flogging the proverbial "dead horse" on this one. Brock ships were launched without cermony(just another ship from the yard!)) in my time i.e.MAKRANA, MAWANA,MANGLA,MATHURA(Whilst serving my apprenticeship). I cannot track down any pics. of launchings.

Regarding retirements, the only one I witnessed was the MANIPUR which I know I took pics of in Colombo but have been lost for ever probably, and of course we were not allowed to take cameras with us on that final memorable sector Colombo to Whampoa so could not record the seas we went through.But that is another story.

Hope somebody will come up with something, will keep trying. Regards Donaldc

R798780
8th April 2007, 15:36
There was a picture in the "Cunarder" of Mahseer run up on the beach - Pakistan - for dismantling, 1975 or 76, so if anyone has an old copy..........! My memory says most Brock ships were sold on and ran on for a few months or a couple of years before final retirement.

pilot
9th April 2007, 07:35
course we were not allowed to take cameras with us on that final memorable sector Colombo to Whampoa so could not record the seas we went through.But that is another story.

Don, heard a yarn that the Sperry Mk.X1V came adrift and took out a gyro room bulkhead?
Rgds. Martin

Don A.Macleod
9th April 2007, 18:47
Well not quite Martin,what happened was that the Gyro jumped of its rollers and went crazy obviously.The pounding was such that we reckoned the ship was coming out of the water along half her length and then went crashing down into this chasm ahead of you, quite spectacular if not frightening and expecting her to break her back.When the Gyro "went" the QM (he didn't know what was happening) followed it and we spun round 180 degrees in seconds really, it was in the early hours and the crashing was horrendous furniture,crockery, doors wrenched open ,you name it.She was probably lighter than she had ever been as we had the minimum of fuel and water plus a lot of spares and stores had been transferred to MAKRANA in Colombo.
We had no contact with the outside world as all radio equipment was kaput,the radar scanner was bent over,not even an Aldis lamp as the bulbs had bust filaments.George the "old man" did a great job getting us there.I could write a lot on that week which was what it took us from Singapore.Donald.

Jim S
11th April 2007, 18:31

Mike

The video "Seawards the Great Ships" by Scottish Heritage Video Collection has a fleeting shot of one of the Makrana type being launched - all you can see is the bow and a last letter "A" of the name. The shot is part of the opening sequences of the video showing a number of launches taking place in a dramatised presentation. Blink and you miss the Brock launch.

Jim S

mahseer1
13th April 2007, 12:42
Don
If you have time, I am sure there are many who would love to know the details of Manipur's last voyage and why cameras were forbidden. All details would be gratefully received.

Kind regards
Peter B

Tony Selman
13th April 2007, 13:23
I second that - here's your chance Don.

Don A.Macleod
13th April 2007, 15:28
Don
If you have time, I am sure there are many who would love to know the details of Manipur's last voyage and why cameras were forbidden. All details would be gratefully received.

Kind regards
Peter B

Will sit down tonight Peter and draft out a posting as I must dig out some info. as to why I was there and details of the voyage.
Briefly Tony I was on the LUCIGEN (again in Cammells) ready to go deepsea on her.(I must have been mad) when I was delegated to MANIPUR in Tilbury just before she sailed.More later.Don.

Tony Selman
13th April 2007, 16:13
Don, I just cannot believe that anyone who survived one trip on Lucigen would ever consider going back there. I had always previously considered you to be one of the saner people I met whilst I was at sea. Nobody perfect I suppose. :D

skymaster
13th April 2007, 16:23
Don, I just cannot believe that anyone who survived one trip on Lucigen would ever consider going back there. I had always previously considered you to be one of the saner people I met whilst I was at sea. Nobody perfect I suppose. :D
Tony,whats the story on the Lucigen?Was it a Brock charter?

Mike

Tony Selman
13th April 2007, 17:37
Mike, Lucigen was one of the H.E. Moss Tankers that Cunard Brocklebank bought in 1965. There were 3 at that time, Luxor and Lucellum being the others. From the beginning they were mainly manned by Moss men with an infiltration of Brock's men. Three Brock's men joined Lucigen as the first intake at Cammell Lairds in July 1965, I was the R/O making my first trip on my own, Don MacLeod was Electrician making his first deep sea trip on his own (I am almost certain) and Dave Tracey was 3/O.

There are a couple of other threads on the board describing what an abomination she was and in everything I have read no one has a good word to say about her. On the trip that Don and I were on we broke down 51 times in 6 months and it was without doubt my worst voyage at sea. One or two other Brock's stalwarts on here also had bad trips on her.

I sailed with Don on several occasions and the background of what a lousy ship Lucigen was accounts for my incredulity that he was prepared to go back to her. I am almost certain I would have resigned if I had been sent back there.

skymaster
13th April 2007, 19:13
Mike, Lucigen was one of the H.E. Moss Tankers that Cunard Brocklebank bought in 1965. There were 3 at that time, Luxor and Lucellum being the others. From the beginning they were mainly manned by Moss men with an infiltration of Brock's men. Three Brock's men joined Lucigen as the first intake at Cammell Lairds in July 1965, I was the R/O making my first trip on my own, Don MacLeod was Electrician making his first deep sea trip on his own (I am almost certain) and Dave Tracey was 3/O.

There are a couple of other threads on the board describing what an abomination she was and in everything I have read no one has a good word to say about her. On the trip that Don and I were on we broke down 51 times in 6 months and it was without doubt my worst voyage at sea. One or two other Brock's stalwarts on here also had bad trips on her.

I sailed with Don on several occasions and the background of what a lousy ship Lucigen was accounts for my incredulity that he was prepared to go back to her. I am almost certain I would have resigned if I had been sent back there.

Thanks Tony!

Don A.Macleod
13th April 2007, 19:56
Tony,whats the story on the Lucigen?Was it a Brock charter?

Mike

Mike, she was Cunard owned and Brocks managed, in my own experience with Tony she was only a three year old ship but my goodness was she a handful.I was quite involved with the "older" tankers for a while ,must get my typewriter out again! Oh! and the LUCELLUM may deserve a mention.She did not have a Brocks R/O (MARCONI) So I had to do Selmans job!.ie looking after the machinery not the dash/dot side of things. Probably told you the story on MAHSUD Tony.Don.

PS.Will get on to the MANIPUR story later.

skymaster
13th April 2007, 20:49
Mike, she was Cunard owned and Brocks managed, in my own experience with Tony she was only a three year old ship but my goodness was she a handful.I was quite involved with the "older" tankers for a while ,must get my typewriter out again! Oh! and the LUCELLUM may deserve a mention.She did not have a Brocks R/O (MARCONI) So I had to do Selmans job!.ie looking after the machinery not the dash/dot side of things. Probably told you the story on MAHSUD Tony.Don.

PS.Will get on to the MANIPUR story later.
Don is there a picture of her on SN?
Mike

R798780
13th April 2007, 23:22
Mike

There is now........may be others but here is one I was offered by a former member. In response to an early query, I spotted a shot of Lucigen being launched a year or two ago on ITVs "The way we were". But can I find it. May have answered the midships superstructure Q properly but I wasn't aware of the question at the time .............hindsight is such a wonderful device. Probably has neighbours or the like recorded on top!!! Bane of my life. Also had a shot of a Mawana class manoeuvring on the Tees but I recorded in LP so couldn't get the name.

Getting back to the origins of this thread, Blyth Spirit posted a pic recently which shows the old Mahout at the breakers wharf. Photo titled "Corbank and Kids".

Don A.Macleod
14th April 2007, 00:02

Tony,she was a challenge(needing help and yes I was nuts, a case of temporary insanity!) anyway I ended up on MANIPUR then MAIPURA(another epic voyage-the canal closed when we were in Jeddah homeward bound and had to go round the cape, thru' the Med. to Syria/Turkey because of cargo stowage(Messageries charter).Trip almost seven months.She was a great ship though.

Don A.Macleod
14th April 2007, 00:15
Mike

Mike, Hugh has posted the same pic as I have.The centre island was basically extra store rooms as they had not allowed for space in the aft accomodation and it was also a golf course for the "old man".

skymaster
14th April 2007, 00:17
Great story guy's!I am sure there is more.

Mike

Tony Selman
14th April 2007, 12:38
Mike if you search in Gallery under Lucigen and/or Tony Selman you will come up with a couple of photos that I posted and a couple of comments relating to the centre castle.

gwzm
14th April 2007, 17:33
Skymaster,

Take a look at www.portglasgow4u.co.uk .There is a picture of the Makrana/GWWV on launch day in 1957. The accompanying caption reads: "Brocklebank's Makrana on launch day. Many of these ships were launched withour fuss or ceremony and their official naming would take place once they had been delivered to their home port of Liverpool."
Moderators: OK to post the photograph on this site with due acknowledgement?

John/gwzm

skymaster
14th April 2007, 17:55
Skymaster,

Take a look at www.portglasgow4u.co.uk .There is a picture of the Makrana/GWWV on launch day in 1957. The accompanying caption reads: "Brocklebank's Makrana on launch day. Many of these ships were launched withour fuss or ceremony and their official naming would take place once they had been delivered to their home port of Liverpool."
Moderators: OK to post the photograph on this site with due acknowledgement?

John/gwzm

Nice one John!

Thanks Mike[now in photo album]

Jim S
14th April 2007, 19:06
Nice one John!

Thanks Mike[now in photo album]

The photograph looks like it was taken from same position as the film shot featured in the Scottish Heritage video "Seawards the Great Ships".
As I said earlier the launch is part of an early sequence showing a number of launches presented in adramatic manner. In the case of what now seems to have been Makrana only the last letter "A" of the name is seen as the ship passes down the launch ways. - Blink and you miss it .

Jim S