Old Shipmates

Peter (Pat) Baker
6th April 2007, 17:26
Does anybody out there remember Captain John.D. Pascoe or any other Officers of Moss Hutchison's "Assiout" mid 1960's?
Regards,
Peter (Pat) Baker.

rothesian
14th April 2007, 12:09
sailed on Assiout, Karnak, Kypros, and Kantara 67 to 70
J D Pascoe was mate on the Assiout end of 67 with Frank Spikins as Master then back to Master again on the Karnak, Kypros - master was Brendan cooney, Kantara - Aurther Sugden
regards
alistair grubb

Peter (Pat) Baker
14th April 2007, 12:50
Alistair,
I was in the Assiout when she was on charter to Harrisons of Liverpool. I was there as Supercargo for Harrisons. To the best of my recollection this was in 1960/1 period.
I take it that after that time J.D. Pascoe reverted to Chief Officer for a while, is that correct?.
I remember that the Chief Officer that voyage was engaged to marry J.D.P's daughter but I cannot remember his name.
Best regards,
Peter Baker.

rothesian
14th April 2007, 13:24
Pat
My first voyage With Moss's was on the Assiout as 3rd mate towards end of 1967 - JD Pascoe was back as mate at that time with semi retired Frank Spikins as Master, 2nd mate was a pilot from Bristol channel getting some seatime in - voyage was to w . indies on charter from London for Harrisons - all MH vessels were on charter at this time - banned from Israeli and Arab ports following 6 day war. Purser/supercargo was a young lad by the name of Corkill
hope this helps
Alistair

Peter (Pat) Baker
16th April 2007, 14:26
Alistair,

Thanks for your reply, I cannot say that I recall a Purser named Corkill, but I an still in touch with a few of Harrsions Pursersfrom the 1950's to 1970's and will ask them if they remember him.
Why did John.D. Pascoe revert to Chief Officer?
Cheers,
Pat Baker.

Peter (Pat) Baker
24th April 2007, 13:27
Rothesian.

Alistair.
Did you receive my private message re J.D.Pascoe?
Pat Baker.

David Wilcockson
25th April 2007, 11:13
Sailed on the Makaria with Capt. J D Pascoe from `75 - `77, & I think it was Feb. `77 when he retired, certainly to my knowledge that was his last voyage. He had a wealth of stories that he was only too happy to recall with very little prompting. Must say I`m intrigued as to why he was put back to ch/off & would love to hear from Rothesian as to the reason. Also sailed with Captains Arthur Sugden, R G Roberts, Ernie Plater, ? Prescott,Bob Blaiklock, & I McAllister. Very happy ships by & large with good runs.
David

Peter (Pat) Baker
25th April 2007, 12:26
David Wilcockson,

Was the R.G. Roberts that you sailed with connected to J.D. Pascoe by any chance.
When I sailed with J.D.P. in the 60's the Chief Officer of the Assiout was engaged to John Pascoe's daughter, and I seem to remember that his name was Roberts.
Regards,
Pat Baker.

David Wilcockson
25th April 2007, 12:46
Pat
I hate to say this but I`ve got a total blank where R G Roberts is concerned, I was on the Amarna with him but after checking my old journal I only served about ten days with him;I joined in Heysham then to Camel Lairds for d/dock for 6 days & onto Ellesmere Port to load outward after that. He would have left either in dry dock or at EP, & as to whether he was married to J D`s daughter totally escapes me, sorry I can`t be more informative. I always found JD a good Captain to sail with, only wish I could turn the clock back to the Moss Hutch. days, running up & down the Medi.
David

Peter (Pat) Baker
26th April 2007, 13:36
David Wilcockson.

Many thanks for your reply.
I understand entireley your situation. Time plays hell with everybodys memory and furthermore you were only with R.G. Roberts a few days.

I also enjoyed my trip with J.D. Pascoe, a good Captain and a fine man.

We ran to the West Indies and then all along the Venezuelan coast.

Cheers,
Pat.

rothesian
4th May 2007, 21:12
sorry guys - getting a bit confused - old age maybe - just returned from welcoming my 1st granddaughter into the world - Elsie Carolyn Marjory Grubb
6lb 10 oz 21st April - catching up on emails etc - replied to Pat's email re JDP and think I received a reply but now confused as to where the thread has gone - please advise
alistair

Hague
4th May 2007, 21:29
Congratulations Alastair,
Brgds
Hague (Maron)

notnila
4th May 2007, 23:03
Many congratulations Alastair. Arch.

Peter (Pat) Baker
8th May 2007, 00:24
Alastair,

Congratulations on the new additionto the family.
The first grandchild?. You make me feel terribly old, I have 12 of the little perishers.

All the best to you and little Elsie.

Cheers,
Pat Baker.

Ventry
8th May 2007, 11:58
Anyone out there sailed with Mick Proctor in the 60s?

rothesian
9th May 2007, 22:21
was Mike Proctor a bosun

Ventry
10th May 2007, 09:18
I was up for Master's (FG) in Byrom Street with Mick in 69. We both came up off deck (two in one class a rareity according to Ozzie Stewart)and got on well together. Mick was ex Blue Funnel and if my memory serves me right his father was the Senior Bosun in Blue Funnel (taught Cadets at Odyssey Works). He must have been C/Off or at least 2/O in Moss Hutchison....'Armana' rings bells. Heard he joined B&I Ferries after Master's.

rothesian
10th May 2007, 09:56
I must remember the name from my Blue Flue days
Armarna and Memphis were the two Moss Hutchison boats I never sailed on
In Moss's you tended to stick to the same vessel - signing off and on the same day, then working by, okay if you lived in Liverpool - at Christmas we received a bonus - it was in fact payment for accrued leave on articles
Alistair

Ventry
11th May 2007, 12:14
Blue Funnel? Always regret not joing them as boy. Fine ships and an excellent training from my observation of the few i sailed with.

rothesian
12th May 2007, 22:18
George Roberts was promoted Master around 67/68 - also a George Roberts (older) in office Martins Bank Buildings, water Street - Frank Price was the Chief Steward on Assiout when i was there, He had a brother who was also C\s - any one remember his name, others were Harry dooley & Billy Ormesher

Peter (Pat) Baker
14th May 2007, 21:31
rothesian,

I cannot recalll the name of the Chief Steward that I sailed with in the Assiout in the 1960's, but we had to pay him off in Curacao (drunk and uncatchable).
The Captain, as I have said before, was John D.Pascoe.
Does anybody out there remember this voyage, or the name of the Chief Steward?
Cheers,
Peter (Pat) Baker.

Ernie636
23rd May 2007, 19:06
I joined Moss Hutchison Line in 1970, sailed in Tabor, Kypros, Melita and Makaria.
Alastair,
Frank Price was my uncle, his brother was Raymond. At home they were known as Lenny and Raymond, on the boat Frank and Paul. My uncle Raymond introduced me to Mossy's when I left SSA.
Regards
Peter Price

rothesian
24th May 2007, 08:30
I joined Moss Hutchison Line in 1970, sailed in Tabor, Kypros, Melita and Makaria.
Alastair,
Frank Price was my uncle, his brother was Raymond. At home they were known as Lenny and Raymond, on the boat Frank and Paul. My uncle Raymond introduced me to Mossy's when I left SSA.
Regards
Peter Price

Hi Peter
Sailed with both - one used to carry a shotgun and we used to have regular claypigeon shoots over the side at sea - I think it was Frank - the clays were USED beer cans fired from a special trigger he had procured - Pretty sure Frank was on the Assiout and Karnak, Paul would have been on the Kantara at the time - sad to see the demise of such a friendly company

Ernie636
24th May 2007, 21:54
Hello Alastair,
I imagine Frank carried the shot gun, he was quite a trickster. One yarn I heard- dressed as an Arab he confronted Capt. Cooney complaining he'd sank his dhow, unable to extract any compensation he tried to sell him some 'dirty postcards'. I understand Capt. Cooney never twigged on!
I agree with you it was a cracking company. I remember a spell standing-by on the 'Spiv Gang' some great characters-Dusty Miller, Ricky Robinson, Geoff(oggy) & Bertie Soames, Jack Kinkler, Jack Healey, Dave Macawley. Macawley loved to related company tales, one 'The Pifco Torch' was a gem. Can't remenber which ship but before the Melita & Makaria joined the fleet the main engine was either a 4 cyl. doxford or a 8 cyl. b&w. The latter having an air intake at each end of the engine covered with a diamond patterned grill. Engineers serving in these vessels recognizable by the imprint of this on the legs of their boilersuits. Apparently the chief engineer making his rounds during the 8-12 watch pm decided to take a look inside the intake. Removing the grill and with the use of a pifco torch inspected the space. Unfortunately reaching further inside he dropped his torch and unable to retrieve it replaced the grill unaware the 4th engineer was looking on. Finishing his rounds he strolled on to the boat deck, a beautiful meddy evening the sea like a duck pond.
'Evening chief' greeted the second engineer 'Funny thing just a moment ago the funnel gave a cough and a burst of black smoke and a pifco torch came flying out and landed just over there with a plop. It was still f....n lit!'
'Mmmmm... really' replied the chief.
When the sailing crowd returned to the ship after a couple of weeks, Dusty Miller advised the chief ' We did those units and found in number three a pifco torch, it was stiil f....n lit! I've ordered another six for next voyage. there f....n good torches them.
Best Regrads
Peter

rothesian
28th May 2007, 10:17
Hello Alastair,
I imagine Frank carried the shot gun, he was quite a trickster. One yarn I heard- dressed as an Arab he confronted Capt. Cooney complaining he'd sank his dhow, unable to extract any compensation he tried to sell him some 'dirty postcards'. I understand Capt. Cooney never twigged on!
I agree with you it was a cracking company. I remember a spell standing-by on the 'Spiv Gang' some great characters-Dusty Miller, Ricky Robinson, Geoff(oggy) & Bertie Soames, Jack Kinkler, Jack Healey, Dave Macawley. Macawley loved to related company tales, one 'The Pifco Torch' was a gem. Can't remenber which ship but before the Melita & Makaria joined the fleet the main engine was either a 4 cyl. doxford or a 8 cyl. b&w. The latter having an air intake at each end of the engine covered with a diamond patterned grill. Engineers serving in these vessels recognizable by the imprint of this on the legs of their boilersuits. Apparently the chief engineer making his rounds during the 8-12 watch pm decided to take a look inside the intake. Removing the grill and with the use of a pifco torch inspected the space. Unfortunately reaching further inside he dropped his torch and unable to retrieve it replaced the grill unaware the 4th engineer was looking on. Finishing his rounds he strolled on to the boat deck, a beautiful meddy evening the sea like a duck pond.
'Evening chief' greeted the second engineer 'Funny thing just a moment ago the funnel gave a cough and a burst of black smoke and a pifco torch came flying out and landed just over there with a plop. It was still f....n lit!'
'Mmmmm... really' replied the chief.
When the sailing crowd returned to the ship after a couple of weeks, Dusty Miller advised the chief ' We did those units and found in number three a pifco torch, it was stiil f....n lit! I've ordered another six for next voyage. there f....n good torches them.
Best Regrads
Peter

I can believe any of Frank's escapades - he was always up to something - although Paul was quieter he still had a quirky sense of humour, maybe a littler sublter than Franks.
You've brought a lot of memories back - I haven't heard those names for a long, long time - I remember when Oggie first joined - Bertie was really annoyed by people calling him Oggie, I can't recall his real name nor why he was called Oggie, I wonder what's happened to them all - another couple of engineers I remember were Ronnie Munro and a lad I think was from Sheffield whose party Trick was "sausage on a plate"
Met Dick McNally in Saudi Arabia where he looking after our tugs (Jubail) John McFadden mate then skipper on Stirling Esk, Bob Blaiklock last trip on St. Olaf, John Morinaud in aberdeen, now severely crippled with Arthritis , Robbie Middleton, retired - lives near Aberdeen, and a later one from P&O days Paul Williams, pilot at Aberdeen
best regards
Alistair Grubb

Barry Wood
3rd June 2007, 16:42
P.S.N.C.Flamenco is there anyone out there who sailed on her from March 65 to June 65
Has I would love to hear from them has this was my first ship my cabin mate was a lad then called john Greenhalgh.Or any others lads I sailed with at that time
Barry Wood

Barry Wood
16th September 2007, 04:02
I a looking for an old friend of mine we sailed together on the Rowallen Castle
he is from the Liverpool area .If I am right he is from Birkenhead he was an an AB is name is John Roberts
It was from Jan the 4th to March 22th 1968 if he is reading this or if anyone knows of him would you ask him to get in touch with me please .Also a another AB by the name of Danny Horrocks form the Nothimgam area once again if either of theses guys are reading this would they get in touch the same applys if you know them please ask them to get in touch with me
Regards Barry Wood

BillPascoeDaughter
13th June 2014, 23:51
Pretty sure that was my uncle John. My dad was Captain William H. Pascoe. I'm in touch with John's children, my cousins. John died not long after he retired, sorry to say.

Best regards,
Jackie Pascoe
Does anybody out there remember Captain John.D. Pascoe or any other Officers of Moss Hutchison's "Assiout" mid 1960's?
Regards,
Peter (Pat) Baker.

Peter (Pat) Baker
14th June 2014, 15:25
Jackie,
Was your Uncle John from Cornwall?
Pat Baker.

BillPascoeDaughter
14th June 2014, 16:43
Jackie,
Was your Uncle John from Cornwall?
Pat Baker.
Hi Pat,
Yes, my grandfather John Pascoe was a Cornishman, but John and Bill (my dad) were born elsewhere in England. The Pascoe family from which they hail lived in a small cottage outside Porthleven. My great grandfather was a blacksmith there.

Why do you ask?

Best,
Jackie