Cap Badges

leggoaft
9th April 2007, 17:20
Can anyone please tell me when P&O decided to change their cap badge?

Best Wishes

Will

benjidog
10th April 2007, 23:06
Will,

I am surprised you didn't get an answer to this question though I see that it has had 55 viewings.

It might be worth moving this thread to the P&O forum - send me a PM if you don't get a reply in a few more days and I will move it there for you.

Regards,

Brian

leggoaft
12th April 2007, 15:48
Many Thanks Brian

Will you please move my inquiry about P&O officers cap badges

Best Wishes
Will

benjidog
12th April 2007, 23:32
I have moved this to the P&O forum in the hope that one of you knowledgeable guys will be able to help answer this question.

Regards,

Brian

Doxfordman
13th April 2007, 02:48
The old cap badge was a rising / setting sun over an anchor?? It must have been about the time of the revolution in 1972 ish, I would guess. Other's may have more detail.

Buoy
15th April 2007, 23:38
The old badge was indeed the rising sun over the drunken anchor. I think the latest one was introduced around 1972 as Doxfordmad says during the revolution when the various divisions were formed and a lot of famous shipping line names disappeared. If I am not mistaken the idea came from the old Trident Tankers badge which was the P&O flag with a trident inside a diamond in the middle. As a R/O we used to circulate between the passenger ships, cargo ships and tankers. I remember a severe bollocking one time on rejoining a passenger ship proudly wearing my Trident Tankers cap badge... I can't remember where I got the image of the one I use.

Pompeyfan
16th April 2007, 10:09
As far as I remember, I kept by cap badge with rising sun over the drunken anchor until I left P&O in 1975. I joined in 1971. I don't remember changing it. My cap is in the loft somewhere. If I ever have a clean out I will look for it. We were issued with new Discharge Books in 1973, mine being dated 9th January 1973 after Canberra's Xmas Cruise, but I don't remember changing cap badges. David

Tony Selman
16th April 2007, 18:24
I joined P&O in 1970 and left in 1975 and I definitely did not change my rising sun cap badge in that time. It most certainly was current on passenger ships in 1972 because I was married in that year and numerous photos show all ex-Oronsay officers wearing the rising sun cap badge, including Buoy. It was definitely current on passenger ships and Trident Tankers in that time but I did not serve on cargo ships.

Buoy
17th April 2007, 23:31
Hi all. Take a close up look at the pic 'Buoy's Nuptials' I uploaded into 'Members Faces' today. This was taken 10 Aug 1974 (perish I should ever forget...!) & it looks to me like we all have the same P&O new style badge. The rising sun and drunken anchor was a lot smaller and didn't have the oak leaf detail of this one. I seem to recall Alfie Hatterall had a different badge altogether - though you can't see it in this pic. I'm pretty sure I got mine (along with the new style epaulettes) when I formally transferred from P&O Lines to P&O BSL around 1973 & I'm also sure I wasn't the first.

Doxfordman
18th April 2007, 00:40
I can remember we got new blazer badges around end of 1972 / early 73. We had the crossed flags badge (NZSC), buttons and cap badge but were told in no uncertain terms to have the new P&O badge put on our blazers. I retained my crossed flag buttons and cap badge and wore them on my uniform. The new style P&O braid was as per NZSC on blues jackets, being worn on the shoulder not the lower arm. I had them along with the rising sun cap badge and the new style cap badge until recently when my wonderful mum threw them out as rubbish!!!

Tony Selman
18th April 2007, 10:12
Bl**dy hell Derek (Buoy) that is another photo from the past. I had completely forgotten that Alfie was at your wedding. Can you please attach the photo to a message on this thread and then other people might comment. Are you still in touch with Alf by any chance. He was a great bloke and I did two trips with him including taking Ardvar on maiden voyage from Japan.

Peter Fielding
18th April 2007, 17:31
Following the revolution, I managed to hang onto my B.I. braid, buttons and cap badge for quite a while. The braid eventually succumbed when the Second Engineer sneaked my jacket out of the bar, and persuaded his wife to remove the stripes from the sleeves. Not much option then, but to ask her to sew the epaulettes on, as he wouldn't give me back the stripes. Still had the buttons and badge, though.

Buoy
18th April 2007, 19:55
Tony, as requested, pic attached - I hope.

I changed my cap badge following the previously mentioned rollicking, but changed my buttons for Trident Tankers ones & kept those throughout.

Derek

Tony Selman
19th April 2007, 09:47
Derek, I know all the faces but can't remember all the names can you please fill in the blanks.

Buoy
20th April 2007, 00:25
Tony,
l-r: Colin Shelton (2nd Eng); Rod Richardson (4th Eng); yourself (!); me and the present Mrs R; Alfie Hatteral (Mate); Paul Chapman (JRO). No idea what happened to Alfie. The only one we are still in touch with is Colin - he retires this year I believe. Paul left the sea after only a couple of years. His main problem was a paranoia of flying - to the extent he paid the difference to travel home from the USA in QE2 once rather than fly! I think he went into the family business of refurbishing oil drums. With the exception of yourself, all had been with me in Kildare on my two trips prior to the wedding.