M.N. Provisions in the 1950's

Sow-Sow-La
9th April 2007, 17:25
This is what we were allowed, but thankfully Blue Funnel were better feeders.

Sow-Sow-La
9th April 2007, 17:40
Sorry but the pictures didnt attach first time. Have re-sized them now, so will try again.

lakercapt
9th April 2007, 21:56
Commonly known as your "wack" and many chief stewards did restrict the issue of certain items. They used to be dished out by the 2nd steward at the weekend when we got the linen change.
Woo on you if you used up all you tea, sugar and connie onnie before the end of the week.
Like Oliver Twist asking for more brought a heap of scorn on you.
Many a time the ships duff was a boone as what won't fatten will fill came to mind.
Bill (Ropners survivor)

lakercapt
9th April 2007, 21:58
Commonly known as your "wack" and many chief stewards did restrict the issue of certain items. They used to be dished out by the 2nd steward at the weekend when we got the linen change.
Woo on you if you used up all your tea, sugar and connie onnie before the end of the week.
Like Oliver Twist asking for more brought a heap of scorn on you.
Many a time the ships duff was a boone as what won't fatten will fill came to mind.
Bill (Ropners survivor)

Peter4447
9th April 2007, 23:20
I have no idea how the catering system worked in the MN but in the 1960's the Grey Funnel Line operated what was known as the General Messing System, in which the price of foodstuffs supplied by the Victualling Yards were listed in an Admiralty publication with their own special prices. Milk/fresh veg/bread etc came from local contractors and again at a set price.
If you had for example 120 crew (excluding officers) in a Frigate then you were paid so much per head, per meal per day with which to feed them. Breakfast I think was 9d (old money), so you would have 120 x 9d which comes to £10.80 with which to provide breakfast for the entire 120. It might not sound a lot but it obviously worked as I can never recall meeting a starving sailor!
Peter4447

Keltic Star
10th April 2007, 05:35
Don't remember too many bad meals with Furness Withy, Prince Line or Esso.
On the coast with Everards, they paid a reasonable daily victalling allowance which we gave to the cook to buy the groceries. When the food was bad we knew he was dipping and it didn't take too much to persuade him that a shore side job would be better for his health.

Keltic Star
10th April 2007, 05:42
On the subject of ships catering, any of you good old ships cooks out there remember the recipies for the following:

A tomato/fish flavoured (possibly anchovy) sauce served with fish cakes, none ashore can compare.

Piquant sauce, served with tongue or baked ham.

Have tried to replicate both of the above, but any of my attempts have failed acceptance tests with the family and I can't say I can blame then, tasted like s--t.