Wild Auk

orkneyman
10th April 2007, 07:11
Does anyone have any photos of the P&O reefer Wild Auk. I did a six month trip on her in 1978, one of the best trips i ever had. We also managed a week in BA when the world cup was on down there but thats another story.

All the Best
Alan

gdynia
10th April 2007, 07:16
Alan
Go into the Gallery Catergory and enter Wild Auk in the Search Box and theres a photo of her with Lauritzen Funnel Markings

orkneyman
10th April 2007, 07:38
Thanks Nev.

Tony Breach
10th April 2007, 20:41
I purchased photos of WILD AUK with plain funnel & also as OLYMPIAN REEFER with LPR funnel from Michael Dippy in Largs Bay.

The WILD AUK & AVOCET varied from their sister Supercores in not having Hallen derricks on a Goalpost between hatches 2 & 3. Question: these derricks on the sisters were very useful for lifting out the pontoon centers of the tweendeck hatch covers so was this a problem on the P&O ships or did they not have the pontoons?

Tony

orkneyman
13th April 2007, 13:11
Tony.

As far as i can remember we never had any problems lifting out the tween deck covers sometimes had to adjust the derricks but it was all relatively easy done.

Regards
Alan

Tony Breach
13th April 2007, 16:52
Alan,

Thanks yours. As far as I remember they were very rarely used for cargo as they were very slow. P&O must have saved a lot by not fitting them.

Tony

herky
29th September 2012, 23:00
i was on wild auk in 1973.she turned up again under a new name shipping bananas when i worked for fyffes in uk.

R58484956
30th September 2012, 17:57
Goto www.photoship.co.uk where there are 7 photos of Wild Auk, old ship picture gallery "W" page 11

Supern
21st October 2012, 08:29
I posted a photo of her on her with Federal colours.

saltybobuk
17th November 2012, 18:08
Hi Alan,
I was in BA. at the same time for a week. I was on the Wild Avocet at the time, I did a tour of La Plate stadium before the first match. As England were not there we supported Scotland, but they failed to progress. Had a great time with the locals, a great carnival experience. Did many a trip on Wild boats, great days.
Bob Stephenson

ixion
13th February 2013, 17:17
Picture of Wild Auk laid up in the River Blackwater thought to be mid seventies(?) on

http://www.merseamuseum.org.uk/mmshipping.php

Pilot mac
14th February 2013, 09:08
Cargo gear on Auk and Avocet was a light union purchase with schooner guys.
Used a lot on Avocet, winches I think were hydraulic and for run of the mill cargo and in the right hands was quite quick. Never remember a problem with lifting pontoons
Dave