HMS Vanguards farewell to Portsmouth

robandbarbara
10th April 2007, 22:46
Taken on 4/08/1960 from the Customs Watch House. Photos Z1 - Z6 Tugs lost control for a while and Vanguard swung to port and her bow grounded just next to the Portsmouth Customs Waterguard Office at Point.

robandbarbara
10th April 2007, 22:49
HMS Vanguard
Photos Z4 - Z6

Brian Twyman
11th April 2007, 10:58
Thanks for posting those photos, sad to see such a great ship being towed away. I spent some weeks on her 1954-56 as a young Sea Cadet doing various courses. Scrubbed her quarterdeck every morning at 0530 and ran around the upper deck for PT .. it was quite a climb up the foc'sle for us wee lads. What an experience for a young boy, I still remember so many things about that fine ship.
Brian

CEYLON220
16th April 2007, 23:21
The Old Lady Fought To The Last,being The Navy`s Last Battleship She Should Have Been Preserved. I Spent 6 Months Aboard Her In Reserve Fleet And I Remember The Ship Had A 6 Foot Model Of Her In The Area Of The Admirals Quarters, And We Had Sea Cadets From The North Spending A Week Aboard Her And When They Left The Ship To Return Home The Model Also Left As Well,i Often Wondered If The Ships Model Was Ever Returned.

Gerry Whitehead
17th April 2007, 23:56
LIke Brian I spent 2 weeks aboard HMS VAnguard in 1955-56 as a very young Sea Cadet on a Coxwains Course.What a great experience for a young lad & we also were called every morning 5am out by 5.30. Scrubbing Decks & then P.T. And we all slept in hammocks. a great experience Gerry

engineer64
31st January 2013, 14:35
Vanguard was my first sea going ship, I joined her at Portland in 1950. I will never forget the fist time I set foot on her deck, she was massive & for a first ship awe inspiring.

chadburn
31st January 2013, 15:11
Vanguard was my first sea going ship, I joined her at Portland in 1950. I will never forget the fist time I set foot on her deck, she was massive & for a first ship awe inspiring.

Did you witness her main armament fire at all and were there many defect's afterward's?

engineer64
1st February 2013, 15:24
Vanguard only fired her main guns a few times, I would imagine there would be some damage below decks & if nothing else there would be a shower of dust & loose bits.

chadburn
1st February 2013, 15:46
Thanks for your reply.

Rogerd48
1st February 2013, 16:26
Went on Vanguard during Plymouth Navy Days with my Dad, probably 1956 or 57. There were a lot of ships on display including Ark Royal and a submarine which we went on as well.

Only memory of the sub was finding the heads where I promptly threw up. I had a good excuse though as the next day I was diagnosed at Plymouth Hospital with yellow jaundice.

engineer64
4th February 2013, 15:23
I hope the attachment appears. This is Vanguard as guardship for the 1950 Cowes Royal Regatta. The ship passing is the Queen Elizabeth, I was in Vanguard at this time & the QE looked enormous even from the deck of the RN's largest ship.

Brian Smither
9th February 2013, 10:06
I hope the attachment appears. This is Vanguard as guardship for the 1950 Cowes Royal Regatta. The ship passing is the Queen Elizabeth, I was in Vanguard at this time & the QE looked enormous even from the deck of the RN's largest ship.

A great ship in more than just size, I was at sea with her when I was on Diamond on exercise Mariner when we collided with 'Swiftsure' in the Denmark straits. The three ships were patrolling line abreast when the collision occurred, I can't remember now in which order we were steaming but when 'Vanguard' & 'Swiftsure' turned through 180 degrees to port we turned to starboard! I have posted more on this elsewhere.

Brian.

engineer64
11th February 2013, 14:31
These aerial shots of Vanguard nearly demolishing the Steel & West pub may have been put into another thread. Here they are again just in case someone hasn't seen them before.

engineer64
11th February 2013, 14:33
Here s the second photo.

Jock3
11th February 2013, 14:46
I read that when she took the Queen on honeymoon and they built the royal apartment they realised that if they ever again fired the main rear guns the royal apartment wouldn't survive.
Therefore before the honeymoon the rear guns were decommissioned, never to be restored, hence one reason she never went to Korea

engineer64
12th February 2013, 16:41
Vanguard wasn,t needed because Unicorn , aircraft carrier, carried out shore bombardment. A bit of "tongue in cheek". It is true that Uncorn is the only carrier ever to have used her guns in that way.