Almeria Star

Brian Dobbie
13th April 2007, 20:53
Pictured at Timaru under the loaders, July/August 1984 I think.
She was a regular runner to Bandar Abbas with kiwi lamb.
The voyage to Kiwi, from Bandar Abbas, could be fun. We used to come south bound via the Bight and full bunkers in Fremantle on the way. She would roll like a pig during the Bight transit, in winter.

LEEJ
14th April 2007, 10:03
Gday Brian. I was on that fine vessel between May and Nov 83. Bander Abbas was the pits but one of my best experiences at sea was sitting on the poop with a can of beer and listening to the Mullahs call to prayer in Khor Fakkan after a long stay in Iran prior to departure for kiwi.

Lee

flyer682
14th April 2007, 10:10
I remember seeing several Blue Star ships loading in Timaru at this time. As well as the Blue Star ships, there were several chartered ships as well, along with the associated Austasia ships MANDAMA and MAHSURI.
Something I have often wondered - what was the passage time in days from NZ to Bandar Abbas?

Mac
14th April 2007, 11:22
David

If it is any help the average rule of thumb time for a tanker from Marsden Point NZ to the gulf via the Australian bight was 26 days.

Cheers

Mac

flyer682
14th April 2007, 12:25
Thanks Mac.
On that basis, I think we could assume, given the superior speed and slightly shorter distance, that it would take around 20 days.

Brian Dobbie
15th April 2007, 19:21
Yes about 20days steaming from Timaru to Bandar Abbas. We never went at full speed only eco revs all the time as we always had long anchorages at Bandar Abbas.However the anchorage at Bandar Abbas was a problem, on one voyage we were 55days at anchor before berthing for a 7-10day discharge. Food and water were a problem not to mention the ale.
June and July were wonderful months in bandar Abbas.

Brian

Cap'n Pete
23rd April 2007, 11:33
My own memories of several long anchorages in Bandar Abbas was storing the beer in the after peak before arrival. I hope the Revolutionary Guards never form a diving club, because I shudder to think of the pile of discarded kiwi beer cans that now cover the bottom of the anchorage.
The Austasia Line ships had veg oil tanks aft of the engine room in which we carried fresh water for the others ships, particularly the A-class which had rather small fresh water tanks of their own.

chrisw789
11th December 2008, 22:00
My first full trip for BSSM was on the Almeria Star, joined her on the arm in the eastern docks in Dover and paid off about four and a bit months later there . Tommy Frew was a good mate then, the second steward was Billy "The Duchess" second name forgotton "Keyhole Kate was one of the Stewards, if you where there you will have had a great time in Davao in the Philippines and quite possibly in Valpo' aswell, and had a day out in Disneyland?? thanks to the agent. I was only 18 and easily led astray (Hippy)

peter douras
13th April 2012, 14:22
and you had all your piss stashed behind the bulkhead in the messroom, in the machinery space of no.5 crane ?

peter douras
13th April 2012, 14:25
keyhole kate. what a charcter. was on the columbia star with her in 83