Henry Topping

Moulder
14th April 2007, 21:15
Anyone sail with Henry (Harry) Topping? - chief engineer with Jebsens when I knew him.

He did a lot of stirling work as a MNAOA council member.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

Rennie Cameron
1st May 2007, 06:13
Did he sail with Furness? I know the name......no I think my man was Staff Chief with Furness and did a few trips with Prince line as Old Man

Moulder
1st May 2007, 17:28
Hi Rennie,

I don't think he's my man - Henry (Harry) ended up Chief Engineer - he was from Tyneside and did a lot of work for the MNAOA and served many years as a council member.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

Motorman
10th July 2007, 06:03
I met him briefly I think he was Chief with Buries Markes for a while

Macd
10th July 2007, 07:00
Henry was Chief with Furness for many years. Part of the time he was on the Bermuda run, hence his nickname "Twin Screw Topping". I sailed with him on one of the "Pacific" ships to to the US West Coast when I was getting steam time.
I think he lives in Fife, but I'm not certain. I believe he is still very active, although obviously not involved in union affairs
Regards
Don

Moulder
10th July 2007, 09:37
Thanks for replies lads.

I sailed with Henry on mv Borgnes (Jebsens) in 1982 - he was an active MNAOA council member and we had many an interesting evening chat after my last watch as I was a REOU delegate for a while.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

Colin Magician
8th September 2013, 20:01
If you mean ‘Arry Hornblower’ AKA ‘Uncle Albert’, that’s my Dad. Harry is still alive and kicking, though he did have a wee stroke two years ago. He has recovered well from his stroke and still plods about in the garden, but has given up driving.

Still comes down to the sailing club to help me recover and launch my yacht into the yard at the start and end of the season.

Dad’s not all that often on the ‘net or uses e-mail, but will pass on the names from this forum that were asking after him.

Cheers, Colin

Moulder
9th September 2013, 00:08
Thanks Colin - he may remember me but give him my best wishes.

Steve.

(Thumb)

Colin Magician
9th September 2013, 06:37
Will pass your name on Steve. I take it you were a Radio Officer? Which ships did you know Dad from?

Regards, Colin

Moulder
9th September 2013, 08:48
Hi Colin - I sailed with him on one of Jebsens "S" Boats and then the Borgnes around 1982/83.

Regards,

Steve.

(Thumb)

Colin Magician
9th September 2013, 17:02
Will pass on the info’ to him, hopefully see him at the weekend. If you drop me an e-mail to: radio(AT)stasail.com I can pass on his contact details, I’m certain he’d like to hear from you.

Colin Magician
13th September 2013, 19:38
Images of ships my Dad sailed on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_S85_rfoE