Bamenda Palm

tanker
27th February 2005, 19:34
From Merchant Ships W.Built 1956.BAMENDA PALM with BADAGRY PALM were
built 1956 bySwan Hunter&Wigham Richardson Ltd.I think she was scrapped
as ETERNAL SEA ,anyone confirm this?.
thanks Gp
Interesting the open shelterdecker,with the long forecastle and poop.

shipmate17
28th November 2005, 17:49
Hi,
Just seen your letter,Bamenda Palm.tonnage 5,042.Built 1956 by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd.Newcastle upon Tyne.6.Went to Spetsai Shipping Co Ltd.Limassol(JG Goumas & Co.SA.Piraeus.1972.trnsferred to Marlinea Armadora SA Panama(Greek Flag)renamed Lenio.in 1978 transferred to Allouette Shipping Corp.Piraeus.renamed Elsa SK.transferred the same year to Moineau Cia.Nav.SA.Piraeus.renamed Eternal Sea.Sold to Pakistan shipbreakers.1983.
Badagry Palm.tonnage.5,042.Built by the same as above.Transferred in 1972 to Barada Shipping & trading Co Ltd.Limassol.(Tsakos Shipping & Trading S.A.Piraeus.renamed Irenes Grace.1977 transferred to Associated Pelineon Shipping Co Ltd.Monrovia.Scrapped in Taiwan 1983.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers.
Shipmate17 (Applause)

tanker
29th November 2005, 12:40
Many thanks my friend this is good collaboration of shiplovers and seaman. (*))

fazak
20th October 2006, 21:09
Hi
I joined the Bamenda Palm in Amsterdam April 1969 as a junior ordinary seaman. We did the usual West Coast of Africa ports picking up crew boys in Takoradi to work the hatches. Prior to sailing from Bremerhaven we were in collision with another ship in fog resulting in us returning for repairs.I remember the Bamenda Palm well as it was during this voyage that the first man set foot on the moon. On the return trip the tonnage hatch right in front of my cabin port was full of old bones being shipped back for glue making, the smell was awful during the hot weather.
Roy.

Davey
14th January 2007, 15:52
I sailed on the Bamenda Palm in 1969 to the usual West African ports, which on the return to Europe, was chartered to a French company, Messages Maritimas.

The charter took us to a few French ports to pick up military hardware for shipment to Mururoa,Tahiti, and a return cargo from New Caledonia, Brisbane, Tahiti then to Europe.

This had all come about because of the effects of the Biafran war in Nigeria,which had slowed down West African trade, hence this trip to the Pacific.

At the time Mururoa meant little to me, until talking to our M.M. cargo supernumeries, who said that the atol was being used by the French as a base for atomic weapons testing.

On arrival in Mururoa, the lads who were fishing over the side were told not to eat any fish caught as a precaution against any residual radiation. This made me stop to think about the long term affects of weapons programmes, especially ones done under the British auspices as well.

We now know that the under sea tests around Mururoa, have ruined the area and cracked the seabed to release elements of the atomic explosions.

When I visited, the tests were being done by way of an air burst, with all the fallout that went with it.

Our return journey was near Mururoa, when they detonated a device, and according to our charts, we were about 100 miles inside their recently announced exclusion zone of 600 miles, shortly after, it rained heavily, so I wondered whether any fallout landed on us by chance.

The fact that we were inside the exclusion zone summoned up an expression of discontent about them not waiting for us to be clear of it, but somebody remarked that the British governments weapons test site at Maralinga, in Australia, was just as cavalier about the local Aborigine people.

Never the less the trip had been interesting to me, what with all the menus in French, and wine on every table as a matter of course, because of the charter conditions.