Palm Line

scottie dog
27th February 2005, 18:46
Come on guys lets get talking, love to hear from any old Palm people.
I was with Palm Line from around 74 till 83.
Once upon a time
Think this is me on Ilorin Palm 4th engineer around 1975
remembered2
Next shoreside in Lagos at an ex pats house,
Back radio officer???
Middle left to right
??????? Ray Inness 3rd eng, Me 3rd eng, Bob Stenhouse2nd eng ???????
Front ??????????
remembered1
Apapa Palm Engine CR, left to right
Ray Innes 3rd eng, 5th eng?????, electrician Cliff?????,Chief eng??????
Bob Stenhouse 2nd eng, Me 3rd eng.

Rhiw.com
25th March 2005, 17:57
I was on the Ilorin Palm as well, joined her at Dublin on April 25th 1973, then about four ports on the continent before sailing down the West Coast of Africa. Paid off at Sunderland 23rd July. Can't say that it was the best trip I ever had (Rings of the song Sloop John B) But it was an experience, and one that I'll probably never forget. Regards Tony Jones, R867015.

scottie dog
25th March 2005, 19:44
Should have tried a few more trips Tony, Cause you only remember the good times but I remember many of them.
I would go back tomorrow if they still existed.
Scottie Dog

Rhiw.com
27th March 2005, 21:07
Sorry Scottie, I should have explained myself a bit better, by bad I mean tragic (=|) . On the way round to the continent from Dublin, the Chippy fell down a ladder aft and done his leg in. Then one of the A.B’s broke his leg when putting the pilot ladder over at Rotterdam. Another two A.B’s jumped ship, they were replaced by three sailors off the International Pool, which were as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. The cook was a Nigerian, and was a championship boxer back home, and he should have stayed in the ring, instead of cooking on one. Down the West Coast at Cape Palmas when loading logs, a docker was crushed to death, and the same happened again in Rotterdam on the way home. I was struck down with malaria, and spent a week in my bunk, luckily for me I never suffered from it again. There wasn’t enough paint either, and everything was “touched up” and she looked like a patch work quilt when we arrived home. And to cap it all, the Mate was a wee man from Aberdeen, who thought that every body over five feet tall, was out to get him, he new as much about man management, as I know about breeding Polynesian Parrots. Yes Scottie, my memory serves me well, Tragic. Regards, Tony. (=|) (:X)

scottie dog
28th March 2005, 10:14
Sorry That you had such a rough experience Tony as the saying goes "worse things happen at sea" but for so much in one trip?
Actually it reminded me of my first trip with Palm Line, first the Chief officer Ian Mclean practically ripped off his finger jumping out of a life boat his ring caught on the cleats.
Then shortly after an AB 19 years old fell down the hatch and broke his neck we had to bury him in Banjul.
All part of sea life I guess but non the less tragic.

Rhiw.com
28th March 2005, 10:37
I quite agree with you Scottie, some trips turn out bad, and others are good. One happy memory of the Ilorin Palm, we played football against a Danish ship "Panama" East Asiatic Co, at Sapele, we were beaten about 10 - 0, but were invited back on board to celebrate, and I just can't remember getting back. All the best, Tony

scottie dog
28th March 2005, 11:03
Scottie, would love to hear some of your stories if you have the time.
Zelda

More stories to come later Zelda

Rhiw.com
29th March 2005, 06:59
Hi Scottie, Did you come across Ronnie Nickolson in Palm Line? He was an A.B. but sailed as Bosun as well, He was from Holyhead. and a real nice guy. I sailed with him quite a lot in the 1980's, on the Ferries. Regards Tony.

scottie dog
29th March 2005, 08:50
Hi Scottie, Did you come across Ronnie Nickolson in Palm Line? He was an A.B. but sailed as Bosun as well, He was from Holyhead. and a real nice guy. I sailed with him quite a lot in the 1980's, on the Ferries. Regards Tony.

Tony
was he a short guy but stocky probably in his middle to late twenties around about 1976?

Rhiw.com
29th March 2005, 09:15
Tony
was he a short guy but stocky probably in his middle to late twenties around about 1976?
Yes Scottie, he fits the bill, Regards Tony.

scottie dog
30th March 2005, 10:29
See member board on doxford engines for related topic

scottie dog
30th March 2005, 10:31
Yes Scottie, he fits the bill, Regards Tony.
Hi tony
Think Ron was the Bosun on the Ibadan Palm the time the young AB was killed.

Rhiw.com
30th March 2005, 10:40
Hi tony
Think Ron was the Bosun on the Ibadan Palm the time the young AB was killed.
You are right Scottie, because he told me the story of the tragic incident. We seafarers never forget these sad things. Regards Tony.

scottie dog
31st March 2005, 09:48
Just a note to say going back to sea for a while on DSVs (no not Doxford engines such a shame) back in a few weeks and most certainly pop back in on my return.
scotty Dog

Ron B Manderson
31st March 2005, 09:51
Running away with a sailor then
Have a safe trip
Ron

scottie dog
31st March 2005, 10:01
Running away with a sailor then
Have a safe trip
Ron

Thanks Ron

bobjones
23rd May 2005, 23:41
Radio Officer is Les Holt, At the end in the gold shirt is Purser Alan ???
came from Liverpool but believe then moved to Cornwall, still have picture
of Apapa Palm on my office wall after twenty years

shipmate17
2nd June 2005, 17:36
Hi,
Although I never sailed on the Palm Boats.I watched several been built while working in the time office of Swan Hunters of Wallsend.Newcastle.my birth place.
Only today have I bought a book on the history of the Palm Line.If any info wanted let me know.
cheers.
shipmate17

JSUpton
3rd June 2005, 10:02
Can't help much with life at sea with Palm Line but from a small boy's perspective ashore in West Africa it was very glamorous and exciting.

When Dad first worked for Palm Line, they were still using surf boats in Accra (where I was born) and shifted some vast amount of cargo through them (? 300,000 tons a year).

Can remember Dad coming home on many occasions complaining bitterly that Elder Dempster had pinched a berth again, but funnily enough no comparable celebrations when the reverse happened, as it must have done.

Visits to the ships were always a highlight - Bamenda Palm was a great favourite of mine, but Capt Pugh's cabin always put the fear of God into my brother and I because he had a whip hanging up from Ikot Ekpene which had 2 knots at the end and was used as mental terror by my parents!

Lived in Accra, Takoradi, Calabar, Port Harcourt, Apapa and Ikoyi 1955 to mid 60s and fond memories of Derek Bell and Jack Raeburn and the to-be-mentioned-in-hushed-tones Mr Duncan and George Downie.

I think I've probably been on most of the ships in the Shaw Savill photo page and was last aboard Elmina Palm and Kano Palm one summer evening in the late 70's in Liverpool when a friend of mine, David Ellis, was an engineer in Kano Palm.

JSUpton
3rd June 2005, 10:06
To show how effects endured in the family, to the end of his life, anything Dad found good was "sweet past Takoradi Harbour extension". Back home in UK, for many years we never said "turn it off" or "switch it off", it was always "quench it". Nothing ever got broken but many times "de fine ting dun spoil" and Mum never served a meal but always "brought forth chop"!

trotterdotpom
3rd June 2005, 13:23
Thanks JS, Oyibo - you brought back memories of West Africa Chop (Yum Yum) and Flash for a Dash up the Creeks (riotous nights chucking soap and dumping dunnage on the dugouts - plenty of dashes, not many flashes, lots of laughs aboard and in the river.

John T.

william dillon
17th June 2005, 22:57
Hi,
Although I never sailed on the Palm Boats.I watched several been built while working in the time office of Swan Hunters of Wallsend.Newcastle.my birth place.
Only today have I bought a book on the history of the Palm Line.If any info wanted let me know.
cheers.
shipmate17
hi shipmate 17,
I would be interested in any imfo you can poevide regarding "Palm Line"
Regards
W. Dillon.

william dillon
17th June 2005, 22:58
Excuse the spelling mistakes, this keyboard has a mind of it's own or am I a "duff" typist?
Regards
W. Dillon.

tanker
18th June 2005, 13:29
Great company Palm Line ,very particular their funnel colours!!!
Ciao
Gp

Mike Tiernan
23rd June 2005, 04:13
My first ship as an Engineer S.S Matadi Palm 1956, then to the M.V Burutu Palm, fond memories when coast & creeks were safe before independance. Spent my first Christmas in Rotterdam dry docks

scottie dog
24th June 2005, 15:14
Hi shipmate17
Where can I obtain a copy of this book?

Palmship
11th September 2005, 16:33
Re the photo's, I think the lecky's name you're looking for is Cliff Hutchinson, 5/E A. Dickens? The Purser mentioned by someone else was Alan Coubrough. Hope this helps!

tom nicholson
11th September 2005, 18:10
hi scottie dog i bought a copy of palm line and it is very good reading,i bought it online at WWW.ABEBOOKS.CO.UK go to thier home page and type in palm line by laurence dunn who is the author on thier search column,they have lots of books on shipping line history .
good luck tom nicholson

shipmate17
12th September 2005, 18:42
Hi,
To get the Palm Line Book,try here.
PM Heaton Publishings,Yew Tree Cottage,Wernddu Farm,Ross Road,Abergavenny.Monmouthshire.NP7 8NG.
Tel O1873 851094
cheers.

shipmate17
12th September 2005, 18:51
Hi,
Good book on Palm Line is a book called just that.
Palm Line by Laurence Dunn & P.M.Heaton.
Address PM Heaton Publishing,Yew Tree Cottage,Wernndu Farm,Ross Road,Abergavenny,Monmouthshire.NP7 8NG
Tel 01873 851094

Oz.
13th September 2005, 06:18
Can anybody help me track down an old ship mate. Maurice Foran, was Radio Oficer on Andoni Palm in late 60's early 70's? Not sure of dates.

lakercapt
14th September 2005, 02:10
WEas second mate on the"Ashanti Palm" in 1959 loading in Liverpol for the coast.
Were told we were getting a passengere (who would be that foolish).
Turned out that at the last minute a cage with a great massive German Shepard was put in the boat deck. Food and all the rest was put on board. The dog was absolutel petfified with what was going on and would have taken anyones head off had it chance. Instuctions as to how to look after it were given. Only out of cage for cleaning etc. Poor beasty.
I. a dog lover agreed to look after it.
Was next day that I had it calmed down and we became the best of pals. Slept in my cabin a followed me everywhere including on watch.
Soon found its way to the galley and made friemnds with the cok. We had a West Africian crew and he was the only one itdidn't bear its teeth to.

On watch the reliefs called up to the bridge before coming on watch as they were rightly scared of the dog. Taught him many tricks and ever how to climb ships ladders.
Was well groomed a day before the owner was to pick him up in Appapa. The bosun had been chipping and red leading the deck when the dog ran on it and flipped getting covered with the wet red lead. Had a hellofa job getting it off.
Next day the owner came for the dog and I tok in on the wharf. Did not want to go with him and was he pissed having expected a rapturous welcome.
Mean dick he never evn thanked me of gave me at tip.
Was a lonely watch for a while
Bill Ross

Peter (Pat) Baker
20th April 2006, 12:38
Mike Tiernan,
I was Assistant Purser in Burutu Palm (Willie Cruickshank, Purser) until 24.05.1956.
Does that coincide with your time in her?.
Peter Baker.

Peter (Pat) Baker
20th April 2006, 12:46
Palmship.
Alan Coubrough, Pat Cullen and myself all joined Palm Line at the same time in 1955.
Do you have any idea where Alan may be now?
I would love to get in touch with him again.
Peter Baker.

stan mayes
24th December 2006, 19:25
Hello Palm People - Many of you may remember Tom Parkin - he was Bosun of LOBITO PALM for many years,then became Shore Bosun for Palm in Hamburg . Sadly Tom crossed the bar on 9th Sept.2006 after a long illness .He was a good pal of mine - I had known him since he joined TAKORADI PALM in 1957 .Tom's widow Annemarie told me of his passing and I am sure that many of you have met this nice lady in Hamburg

lakercapt
24th December 2006, 21:35
Ah I remember Accra very well.
In fact have posted a short story about a visit there (one of many).
Carried most of the material to build Tema.
Don't know about anyone stealing anothers berth as it was all anchorage free for the taking. If the captain was daring (alas most were deep sea types and getting near a baech was a great frightener) you got more boats. As the crew were paid for the trips the least distance they had to paddle the better for them.
This site is called Ships Nostalgia and I think many of the members that write of the good times when with Palm LIne were not sailing there the same time I was. Was a terrible job for the junior mates when on the "Coast" as a half day ment you worked only 12 hours.
The surf ports were good (Cape Coast, Accra, Winneba, Lome and Cotinou) as all activity ceased before sunset.
The good times were few and far between and we were overjoyed to cut loose the Africian Ensign on the stern. (theold ships had no Kru accomodation).
I lasted four years and when I had my time in for "Masters" I departed as fast as I could go.
My years there are 1957/1962.
Good to hear of the good times but alas they by-passed the mates.
Bill

slick
25th December 2006, 07:02
Dear All,
Lovely to "swing the lamp", I to was in Palm Line, the Badagry Palm and Lagos Palm from March 1963 - August 1964, football was our passion on the coast.
Only the best of memories about the people I sailed with, the name Alan Couborough leapt out of the print.
The Third Mate on the Badagry was Trevor Stearney (?), Captain Everall and the Mate was Dewsbury, the complete crew lists are somewhere in the house,
Palm Line was indeed "fine pass all", and I have the best of memories.
A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
Yours aye
Slick

Peter (Pat) Baker
25th December 2006, 12:25
Mike Tiernan and I are frequently in conatct as we both sailed with Palm Line.
I did two trips in the Gambia Palm, one in the Burutu Palm and two in the Kumasi Palm between 1955 and 1957 when I left to joinn Harrisons of Liverpool.
Peter Baker.

christopher.ryan1
25th December 2006, 13:12
Hello Palm People - Many of you may remember Tom Parkin - he was Bosun of LOBITO PALM for many years,then became Shore Bosun for Palm in Hamburg . Sadly Tom crossed the bar on 9th Sept.2006 after a long illness .He was a good pal of mine - I had known him since he joined TAKORADI PALM in 1957 .Tom's widow Annemarie told me of his passing and I am sure that many of you have met this nice lady in Hamburg
Im sorry to here about Tom's passing, i was on the Elmina Palm with him around the continent before we were meant to sail off down the coast.But off Bremerhaven one night we had a collision with another vessel. We were holed below the water line in No 2 and 3 Hatches and a lot of damage above the line as well.I can always remember myself Tom and a couple of the other ABs going down No 2 and No 3 and seeing the water coming in quite fast.Luckely the engines were okay, so we went as fast as possible to get back up to Bremerhaven where we had the fire brigade waiting to start pumping us out.She was then put into a dry dock, we stayed for a couple of weeks working and drinking with Tom, and then paid off because it was going to take about 10 weeks to put her right.That was jan/feb 73, i met up with him again in 78 when i was on the Ileasha Palm that was the last time i saw him.He was well known through out Palm Line, if you ever talked to anyone who had sailed with them, his name always came up.A good seaman and a nice guy.Please pass on my condolences to his wife from myself and all the ex Palm line seaman from Dover.
Chris Ryan

Locking Splice
7th January 2007, 17:35
Hello All,

Sorry to hear about Tom, although I only did a run job with him on the "Africa Palm" he was one of those Bos'uns that you meet and don't forget, a real proffesional. Like Chris said he was well known and respected by many Dover Seaman as the Palm Line Ships were always on the board at Dover Pool. He could tell you the names of all the Dover characters that had sailed with him. A sad loss.

Regards
Locking Splice

Christopher Roberts
15th May 2007, 12:54
Afternoon JS , I sailed with Capt Jack Pugh aboard the Bamenda Palm Feb 1963
through to 1967 The Chief Engineer was George Brand the 2nd Eng was Bill Fisher
Regards Chris Roberts

Peter (Pat) Baker
16th May 2007, 13:03
Chris Roberts,

do you, by any chance, know what happened to George Brand. I,m sure that he was Chief Engineer during my two trips in the Gambia Palm in 1955.
Pat Baker.

Ian Haffenden
17th May 2007, 22:38
Come on guys lets get talking, love to hear from any old Palm people.
I was with Palm Line from around 74 till 83.
Once upon a time
Think this is me on Ilorin Palm 4th engineer around 1975
remembered2
Next shoreside in Lagos at an ex pats house,
Back radio officer???
Middle left to right
??????? Ray Inness 3rd eng, Me 3rd eng, Bob Stenhouse2nd eng ???????
Front ??????????
remembered1
Apapa Palm Engine CR, left to right
Ray Innes 3rd eng, 5th eng?????, electrician Cliff?????,Chief eng??????
Bob Stenhouse 2nd eng, Me 3rd eng.
Scottie,
Ian Haff, remember our beach boy nights on Lagos Palm!!? Think that was my 1st trip as 3rd Mate. We had good laughs then.
Take care, Haff

Ian Haffenden
17th May 2007, 22:44
I read with regret the sad passing of Tom Parkin. I was a deck cadet and Jnr 3rd mate sailing many times with him. He was a 'strong' character, and greatly influenced my early teachings. Respect, and sadness.

Ian Haff

Bob Mc
26th May 2007, 00:23
Hi,
Have read this thread with interest - re photos I half expected the ex-pats house to be ours!! Although not an employee of Palm Line my Dad was a radio/radar engineer for Marconi (Don McDonald) - he had a great fondness for the line and I was probably on all the palm boats at one time or another as his 'apprentice'!

We were in Apapa from 63-75 (Dad was killed in an RTA in 75 in Apapa).

Jog any memories?

Bob McDonald

gatline
27th May 2007, 12:53
Iwas on the Oguta Palm. Aug 1955. The way we had the crew boys embark is somethihg that will never be forgotten.Final destination was Sapele. Comming out of all that sun and heat then finish up in Poland in November was a big change. Discharge in december at Liverpool. A trip stii fondly remembered to this day.

PIP
23rd August 2007, 21:32
Discussion thread for Palm Line (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Palm Line). If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button

Keith Adams
24th August 2007, 04:24
About time ! ... every Steamship Company should have its own thread. Cheers, Snowy 1961 - "Lobito Palm" and "Akassa Palm"

kernewekmarnor
25th August 2007, 09:51
Hi any ex Palm Line hands out there

just curious if any of you sailed with my old fella' George Morris?

stan mayes
25th August 2007, 10:28
I did not sail with your Dad but as a rigger I knew him many years through his promotions to Master ..He was one of the best...

kernewekmarnor
25th August 2007, 13:43
cheers for that stan. he turns 74 tomorrow, and when i catch up with him some time later this year, when i go home on leave, i will mention your name to him...if you knew him he will remember you for sure...his memory is still as sharp as ever.(Thumb)

stan mayes
25th August 2007, 16:10
Another friend of your Dad who sends best wishes is Joe Martin retired Manager of W.F.White & Co [ Riggers ] Tilbury..

stan mayes
25th August 2007, 16:15
Where is the voice of Pip who began this thread ?

K urgess
25th August 2007, 16:33
I have moved this to the Palm Line forum because the entry in the Ships Nostalgia Guides has been deleted.

This forum is the place for reminiscences. The guides are meant to be an encyclopedia like Wikipedia and so you are encouraged to make entries there concerning the overall company history or details of their ships.

Kris
SN Moderating Team

cacique
29th August 2007, 00:52
I sailed with Capt. George Morris over various years, in those days as Junior and then Fourth Engineer, including a long spell when he was Chief Officer on the "Lobito Palm' - does he still hum and sing his Perry Como numbers ? Maybe he never realised that he was doing it. My very warmest greetings to him. Kind Regards. David Wilson.

kernewekmarnor
29th August 2007, 12:56
Aye David, he does still see himself as some sort of north-east version of perry commo.
He just turned 74 on sunday, I managed to speak with him, and he never changes; the eternal optimist. I passed on Stan and Joe's best wishes, he knew exactly who they were straight away, so i will do the same with you, and he will remember you straight away. I have been lucky in my 23 years at sea to sail with some fine seamen, but i know no finer man than me Dad.................(Thumb) Cheers David

stan mayes
29th August 2007, 17:16
David,
Belated birthday greetings to your Dad.Thankyou for passing on our best wishes.
I was in charge of riggers when working Palm ships and when he was Chief Officer we had a wonderful working relationship..
Your last words say it all - ' No finer man !'
Regards Stan..

mclean
29th August 2007, 17:30
Stan, you have one great memory. Love reading your posts. Regards Colin

stan mayes
29th August 2007, 17:41
Thankyou Colin,
I retain a good memory for the nice people in my life,and there have been many...I tend to forget the 'nasties'...
Palm People were special ...
Regards Stan..

stan mayes
29th August 2007, 17:55
Thankyou Colin,
I only remember the nice people in my life - and there have been many..I tend to forget the 'nasties'..
Palm People were special..
Regards Stan

mclean
29th August 2007, 17:56
Thankyou Colin,
I retain a good memory for the nice people in my life,and there have been many...I tend to forget the 'nasties'...
Palm People were special ...
Regards Stan..

Hey, what about Guinea Gulf??? LOL Regards Colin

stan mayes
29th August 2007, 20:27
Sorry Colin - Not only did I say Palm People were special but I repeated it - unintentionally of course,and I am sorry I made no mention of all those other special people who sailed the 'Holt' boats..leaving me with wonderful memories.
Kind regards Stan..

scottie dog
3rd September 2007, 19:22

Kernewekmarnor.

Remember well, I was third engineer on the Lagos Palm with your dad as Captain, liked to play cards alot (three card brag) but he had the most dosh so the crafty dog kept winning.
Also turned a blind eye with a cheeky grin when "somehow" his second officer sported two black eyes.
Nice guy your dad please pass on my regards.
Mike Scott

Andrew Hogan
3rd September 2007, 20:00
I knew and sailed with George on many occasions, I found him to be a great shipmate, and as Stan says Palm Line People were a very special family. Belated birthday wishes to him
Andy

slick
4th September 2007, 06:01
All,
I sailed with Palm Line man, a Fourth Officer, Badagry Palm 1963-64 and Lagos Palm 1964, Captain's Everall and Vinton(?).
The sweetest memories, a generous and a straight Company especially after my Apprenticeship with a real Tramp Company.
Yours aye,
Slick

stan mayes
4th September 2007, 11:06
Hello Andy,
I hope you are enjoying your well earned retirement..
Kind regards to yourself,Jessie and family..
Stan.

kernewekmarnor
4th September 2007, 13:25
(Thumb) cheers mike and andy
i am due home next week and will be having yarn with me dad.
i have already mentioned a couple of names to him; stan and joe who he remembered, now i have a couple more. i can assure you he will remember you; he remembers the whole crew from his first trip in 1949!
always a bit of a gamble i guess asking if anyone remembers yer old fella...especially when he was Master...but as yet have heard nothing bad. not that it would matter to me; he's me dad.
cheers fer now. paul

scottie dog
6th September 2007, 01:09
Scottie,
Ian Haff, remember our beach boy nights on Lagos Palm!!? Think that was my 1st trip as 3rd Mate. We had good laughs then.
Take care, Haff

Ian
Havn't visited this sight for a long time but glad to get back into it.
Yes I remember the Broom and Pug beachboy nights maybe we should re-form.
Wasn't Pete Williams (4E) with us ? just spoke to him earlier today as it happens.

Presently working in Loisianna doing DP consultancy work back to UK in a couple of weeks.

Scottie

ccurtis1
6th September 2007, 18:26
Captain Morris
This yarn according to a Palm Line bulletin, is attributed to your dad. Your dads vessel passed a RN destroye whose captain signalled 'What is the emblem on your funnel?' Cap Morris replied, 'A palm tree'. The destroyer came back,'Where's your monkey', to which cap Morris replied,'He left us yesterday to join the Royal Navy'. Priceless if its true, a great legend if it aint.

Howard S
6th September 2007, 20:21
I was aboard that voyage - was it Ibadan? memory fails me!

Howard S
6th September 2007, 20:25
Yes Ronnie was the Bosun that trip on Ibadan. Has anyone heard of Ian McClean (Chief Officer) recently?

scottie dog
6th September 2007, 22:57
Hi,
Have read this thread with interest - re photos I half expected the ex-pats house to be ours!! Although not an employee of Palm Line my Dad was a radio/radar engineer for Marconi (Don McDonald) - he had a great fondness for the line and I was probably on all the palm boats at one time or another as his 'apprentice'!

We were in Apapa from 63-75 (Dad was killed in an RTA in 75 in Apapa).

Jog any memories?

Bob McDonald

Bob,
I think the house belonged to a chap called Sandy wright, also think he had just been selected Cheiften of the Caledonian society.
Bob Stenhouse mentioned in the photo passed away end of last year.
Mike

scottie dog
6th September 2007, 23:02
Yes Ronnie was the Bosun that trip on Ibadan. Has anyone heard of Ian McClean (Chief Officer) recently?

Yes Howard you were there on the Ibadan with me as first trip Jnr eng.
Ronnie was the Bosun, Cannot remember the name of the young AB that died.

Mike

scottie dog
6th September 2007, 23:31
CACIQUE
David did you escape the wrath of "Felix" ???

Mike

cacique
7th September 2007, 03:37
Mike, you got me there ! I must be getting too serious in my older age as I sat for a couple of hours trying to think which old man or chief called "Felix" I had possibly crossed in my seagoing days - then the penny dropped !!

Luckily we are just south of the hurricane belt and, at the most we get a couple of wet days from the tropical depression, or can get what they term here as "heavy seas" - coastal waves coming in at one metre high, though that effect is usually localised.

It's good to see the Palmliners becoming active. I am in contact with Matty and passed this site detail to him, but it appears that he is having difficulty trying to get in. Also I am in contact with Tommy Rowe and Alan Peden and will pass the details on to them too.

Keep Well ! Kind Regards. David Wilson.

cacique
7th September 2007, 04:05
Bob Mc,
Certainly does jog the memory cells - we were in Apapa on the "Lobito Palm" at that time, I seem to remember that there was all sorts of stories surrounding Don's untimely death - military involvement or a military vehicle or something. Needless to say, that put the dampers on that particular trip.

Other expats at that time included the LLoyds Register Surveyor (ex Palmliner) Billy Liston, memory cells dropped in again. One night Billy was on board on Apapa Wharf and well lubricated, he told a joke which involved taking his dentures out and pulling faces - he put his dentures on the bar (foolish move). Unbeknown to him, but known by everyone else, Bob Aitchison swapped Billy's dentures for his (Bob's) spare pair.

Billy finished his joke and slipped the dentures back in then, for about an hour you could see him trying to settle the dentures onto his gums, totally unaware, through the lubricant, of the swap. Needless to say the entire bar was in stitches, even up to seeing Billy down the gangway - still trying to settle the dentures.

Next day the lunchtime session was a continuation when Billy came back to return Bob's dentures and rightfully claim his own.

pedena
29th October 2007, 23:48
Hi Andy, glad to see some of the good guys are still around, we have moved house to the Borders but still working for Forth Ports, regards, Alan Peden

mattyr
2nd November 2007, 22:59
yes,i sailed with your old man when he was c\o and capt. great sunderland supporter as i am so we got along well. regards matty roberts.

mattyr
2nd November 2007, 23:06
i am now it. matty roberts

mattyr
2nd November 2007, 23:22
re. george morris. i sailed with him when he was c\o and capt. he was a sunderland supporter as i am, so we got on well. remember me to him.regards matty roberts.

rpg4321
4th November 2007, 12:16
Kernewekmarnor.

Remember well, I was third engineer on the Lagos Palm with your dad as Captain, liked to play cards alot (three card brag) but he had the most dosh so the crafty dog kept winning.
Also turned a blind eye with a cheeky grin when "somehow" his second officer sported two black eyes.
Nice guy your dad please pass on my regards.
Mike Scott
Was the 2nd officer with black eyes A..... S..... by any chance?

scottie dog
4th November 2007, 13:12
No
M.. K.....

son of jack mcardle
9th November 2007, 11:38
came across this site and thought i would see if any one knew my old man jack Mcardle was with Palm Line for about 25 years plus joined in the 50s long time as mate.Left to go Kuwait Shipping where he was master.

I have many happy memories as a kid being on Palm boats,my old man is still going strong at 75!

stan mayes
18th November 2007, 16:10
Hello Son of Jack McArdle,
I asked of your father in a previous posting,without response - now you have made my day...
I knew your father for many years from 1950s..
He will remember me as Stan in charge of the riggers in Tilbury Docks.
He is an Officer who was also a first class seaman..He found pleasure in always being around the decks and getting involved with all activities..
Over the years we became good friends...
He left Palm Line as Chief Officer to join United Arab Co where he soon became a Master... I visited him on a few occasions when his ship was in Tilbury Docks..
Please convey to him my best wishes and hoping he is enjoying his retirement..
There must be other SN members who remember him..
Regards,
Stan.
On the day of sailing he always gave us a case of Tennants...

Mike Davison
7th December 2007, 06:42
Hi Scottie, just come aboard recently. I was with Palm line in the late 1960s and sailed on the Bamenda Palm, Lagos Palm and the commodore ship at that time the Ikeja Palm. I was with blue funnel before that and wanted to change from the far east run and what did I get, the West african coast to load timber in the middle of the jungle. I was an engineer and found quite a difference in engineroom layout between the two companies.Anyway different cultures thats for sure , but some great guys and good ships. 61yrs young now, and retired, but still enjoy the memories.

Topherjohn
14th February 2008, 10:38
Sorry That you had such a rough experience Tony as the saying goes "worse things happen at sea" but for so much in one trip?
Actually it reminded me of my first trip with Palm Line, first the Chief officer Ian Mclean practically ripped off his finger jumping out of a life boat his ring caught on the cleats.
Then shortly after an AB 19 years old fell down the hatch and broke his neck we had to bury him in Banjul.
All part of sea life I guess but non the less tragic.

I joined SN yesterday hence late response to your message. Do you have any later news of Ian Maclean? He was slightly senior to me in service, I recall sailing 3/O with him when he was 2/O perhaps about 1968. I sailed with Palm Line from 1963 until coming ashore in 1970.

Topherjohn
15th February 2008, 22:05
Captain Morris
This yarn according to a Palm Line bulletin, is attributed to your dad. Your dads vessel passed a RN destroye whose captain signalled 'What is the emblem on your funnel?' Cap Morris replied, 'A palm tree'. The destroyer came back,'Where's your monkey', to which cap Morris replied,'He left us yesterday to join the Royal Navy'. Priceless if its true, a great legend if it aint.

You may well be right however I was told it was Welshman Capt "Teapot" R G Jones who made the signal. I made my first 2 Palm Line voyages on Enugu Palm in 1963/ 64 as 3/O under Capt Jones. You may recall his nickname was "Teapot". This was because when sailing as Master on UAC West African coasters where Masters were first bloodied before posting to deep-sea vessels, apparently he kept gin in a teapot for obvious reasons! He was an unflappable gentelman who took his golf clubs to play golf whenever he could in port. He also had a great sense of humour as you can see! Capt Jones was the Master I most respected in my 11 years at sea. Sadly I believe he died a few years ago.

Peter (Pat) Baker
16th February 2008, 13:56
When I was in Palm Line (1955 - 1957) I was told the "monkey and funnel story", but when I heard it the tale was attributed to Capt. Alfie Mason.
Does anybody out there remember him?.

Peter (Pat) Baker.

barrypriddis
16th February 2008, 23:14
Teapot Jones - an absolute gentleman and a very very good seaman.

stan mayes
17th February 2008, 01:18
Barry,
Have you seen my recent posting in Palm Line chit chat?
Stan

rip
1st March 2008, 20:47
came across this site and thought i would see if any one knew my old man jack Mcardle was with Palm Line for about 25 years plus joined in the 50s long time as mate.Left to go Kuwait Shipping where he was master.

I have many happy memories as a kid being on Palm boats,my old man is still going strong at 75!

I sailed with Jack in either 1973 or 1975 he was chief Officer, could have been on the Lobito or Ilorin Palm

rocky ahmun
5th March 2008, 21:42
I have memories of a cousin ( Peter Cribb) who sailed with the palm line early to late sixties remember him saying something about being ship wrecked.any body any knowlege.

edshazell
16th March 2008, 12:49
Only just found this forum so hi to every one, I was a Lecky with PALM lINE 1967/70 and sailed on many of their ships. The old memory bank is failing a bit so names are a bit hard to recall. I remember a chief engineer called Jammy Mathews and once sailing from Falmouth the day before Christmas after loading explosives the Chief Steward died, I think it was two days out.

Ed

stan mayes
31st July 2008, 18:26
Hello all you Palm People -
Today I bought Shipping Today and Yesterday and it has a nice article
Forgotten Fleets - Palm Line....
Six pages of history and VG photos - one of Andoni Palm for you Kenlin 39..
Forget Palm Line?? Never Never!!
Best wishes to you all
Stan

joebuckham
31st July 2008, 20:14
hi kernewekmarnor

saw your post from august 2007
i sailed in the thistlemuir with george, about 1955 / 56 he was third mate and i was a cadet. i nearly met up with him again in fowey about 1980 when i was on a sailing holiday. i saw a familiar face on the quay but by the time i got ashore he had disappeared.
a great bloke give him my best regards

chickadeeblue
4th August 2008, 21:01
hi, shipmates does anyone remember the "Badagry palm" i had the pleasure of sailing on her in 1970 ,there was a lot of damage while i was on board (does that mean im a jonah?)i e loss of one lifeboat,new mercedes dropped approx 40 feet onto vw beetle,bent telescopic mast to mention a few,even so i have fond memories of that trip, steve

kernewekmarnor
17th August 2008, 19:46
Hi Mike

Have passed on all the names to me old fella' and he in turn passes his very best to you all.
i am living in south shields for last 12 years, when you have yer next do let me know, if i am home i will attend on his behalf.
i have been at sea 23 years myself now, but am very keen to hear from former shipmates of me dad.
i know he keeps in touch with jimmy smith keenly
cheers now

paul (Thumb)

kernewekmarnor
18th August 2008, 10:27
Hey Joe

Spoke the old fella' last night....remembered you straight away, said the Thislemuir traded the Canadian coast
He also asked me to tell you that the other cadet onboard with you...Dave Bramham? has since crossed the bar due to some form of cancer.
Sends his very best regards to you, said you were a "canny lad, bright too"

Paul (Thumb)

Roy Weatherill
18th August 2008, 14:26
Any guys out there who sailed with me in Palm Line who can share a few experiences in the good old days.

Roy Weatherill

ccurtis1
18th August 2008, 17:49
So sorry to hear about Dave Bramham. He was mate on the Katsina Palm when I was 3rd Engineer. Probably th best time I had on any vessel. The "Old Man" was Cap Grimasson, the 2/O Ray Nelson, 3/O I can't recall, Ted Lansdowne was C/S, Billy Marsh the Purser, C/E Arthur Olivier, 2/E George Redford, 4/E Dave Jackson, Elect, Alan Hawkins and the 2nd Lecky Phil Robson. Phil sadly passed away shortly after this voyage of a brain haemorrhage. I've seen comments from Matty that the Ikeja was the party ship, but she was nothing compared to the Katsina. Great days indeed.

ccurtis1
18th August 2008, 17:58
Any guys out there who sailed with me in Palm Line who can share a few experiences in the good old days.

Roy Weatherill

Hello Roy,
Which Palm Line ship were we together on? The Africa with Hughie Bunker or John Cay doing his Masters time before the Office called. Or was it the Katsina, Elmina or Ikeja?

HALLLINE
18th August 2008, 19:43
Hi,shipmate 17
Served my time on the Doxfords for palm boats at Swans,Neptune yard. First one Iloran Palm 1960. Was that the time office at the engine works ?.
Dave

ccurtis1
18th August 2008, 21:22
Hi,shipmate 17
Served my time on the Doxfords for palm boats at Swans,Neptune yard. First one Iloran Palm 1960. Was that the time office at the engine works ?.
Dave

Nah Dave, John Cay was put aboard the Africa Palm for one voyage ,so that he could call himself Captain, before going into Palm Line Office in Salisbury Square.
Regards

HALLLINE
19th August 2008, 11:49
Hello ccurtis1,
There must be a link there somewhere, but for the life of me I can't see where it is !.
Dave

ccurtis1
19th August 2008, 21:07
Hello ccurtis1,
There must be a link there somewhere, but for the life of me I can't see where it is !.
Dave
Sorry Dave, lines crossed. You were referring to Shipmate17 posting in Dec 2005, I was relating to Cap John Cays imminent transposition to the heady heights of the Palm Line Office.
Regards

garryb
21st August 2008, 09:45
Hi,
Just joined - sailed with your old man on his maiden voyage as old man (and mine as 1st trip cadet) down to Lobito on the old Enugu Palm in 1974/75 - also sailed with later in 1975 on the Lagos Palm and the Africa Palm as third mate and second mate - Left Palm Line in 1986 - last trips were sailing on the Nigerian Coast on the Matadi moving oil from the creeks to Lagos

Four Bells
29th August 2008, 10:02
G-day I sailed on the Badagary Palm 69--70 as JOS,down the West coast, great for a young fella, next one was the Enugu Palm as EDH,late 1970 this was a real eye opener, the deck crew had 6 or more Portugese?? sailors.We stopped for bunkers at Cape Verdi, we had just sailed heading down the coast,lots of the deck crew were at the Hatch midships having a cold beer,an argument broke out in Portugese next thing one of these chaps KNIFED one of his countrymen his intestines were all hanging out,remember heading back to port one went off on a strecher and one in handcuffs. Down the coast at Tema??? we loaded Deck cargo,Humans, 100's of them took them to Freetown??,I think maybe they were some sort of Ethnic Cleansing???,was it normal to carry 100's people on deck?
Never did go back down the West coast, Tommy Franks was also edh on there.

lakercapt
29th August 2008, 14:07
Quite common to carry deck passengers in late 50's early 60's and we rigged tents on the hatches.
Kru cook was employed to supply food

Four Bells
29th August 2008, 14:47
It was only once we carried deck pasagers remember rigging the tarps and hosing down also remembering loading logs of Ebony somewhere up the creeks also the pilot for the creeks used to bring on a wheel man the canoes rowing out to us the DASH ME's went ashore by small boat in Sapelle GREAT memories slowly comming back they were really great trips,still got some of those wooden carvings you used to buy on quayside, the on ship monkey,and the grey parrot oh the MEMORIES

R58484956
29th August 2008, 19:00
Greetings Garry (post#106) and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

cacique
30th August 2008, 00:29
Post 106, Hi Garry, took me a while to place you, but got it in the end, we sailed together on the "Africa" for sure, I sort of "got sold" with the "Apapa" and remain in Venezuela to this day. Keep Well & Kind Regards, David Wilson.

steve goldswain
6th September 2008, 10:47
hi anbody remember billy granger scouse bosun on the ibadan palm or john (jacko)jackson ab from south sheilds cant remember the exact date will check my discharge books thanks

cacique
6th September 2008, 18:18
Steve, I remember Billy Granger, was on the Ilesha or Kano with him when he mysteriously disappeared whilst alongside Apapa Quays and was later found drowned, all very very strange at the time. Kind Regards, David Wilson.

joebuckham
17th September 2008, 20:45
thanks for that paul
i knew about dave bramham it was reported in the pilot magazine a few years back, i think he was then piloting in teignmouth. i last met him in goole about 76 when he was piloting there, i think he got out when the humber districts were merged.
thanks again b rgds to you and your old fella, good to hear he's doing okay

The Pom
7th January 2009, 03:07
Hi Scottie Dog

Two blanks filled in from the photo at Lagos (ex pats house)

Far left is Les Hudson and next to him is me (Richard Lysons). Both deck Cadets at the time.

Will be replying to Allan Malpus thread in more detail but hope all is well with you.

Regards

The Pom (Richard Lysons)

The Pom
7th January 2009, 13:05

Sailed with Captain Morris as 3/O on the Matadi Palm.
He graciously let my then fiancee stay on board and arranged accomodation in the Owners Suite for her.
I can still see the turmoil going on in his head when he realized that i would also be joining her. How times have changed!
A good man and thoroughly enjoyed my 3 trips with him.
Please pass on my regards and best wished

Richard Lysons

cacique
7th January 2009, 17:07
Good to see you around, still strumming on the guitar ? We sailed together on the "Elmina" in 1975. Keep Well, Kind Regards, David Wilson.

The Pom
8th January 2009, 22:42
Hi Dave

Remember it well.
Still playing the guitar (probally the same tunes) and drinking just as much (Australian culture) but these days I have too squeeze the intake into a shorter period of time as the body, for some unknown reason, requires a lot more sleep than it used too.
Nice to hear from you and hope you are keeping well.
Kind regards
Richard Lysons (The singing sailor)

Bob Mc
9th January 2009, 01:54
[QUOTE=cacique;149788]Bob Mc,
Certainly does jog the memory cells - we were in Apapa on the "Lobito Palm" at that time, I seem to remember that there was all sorts of stories surrounding Don's untimely death - military involvement or a military vehicle or something. Needless to say, that put the dampers on that particular trip.

hi cacique,

many thanks for your post - somewhat unbelievably I just read it yesterday (sorry)! I appreciate that it was a long time ago but would be grateful if you (or anyone else???) can elaborate on your reply? I was at Boarding School when it happened and did not find out about my Dad's death until almost a fortnight later and even then I was told it was a 'car accident'......

Attached is a picture of Don (far left) at a 'Caledonian Society' do in Apapa, my mum (Phyllis) the Blonde in the middle.

My early experiences of 'Palm Boats' encouraged me into wanting to be an RO (I recognised Les Holt in the photo!!) - after almost completing the course I bailed out in the late 70's when most of the British Shipping lines seemed to be disappearing and RO's jobs all seemed to be on the 'rigs'!

Cheers,

Bob Mc

John Pugh
22nd January 2009, 04:17
Roy, we sailed together, can't remember which ship, i was mate you were 2/o or 3/o. i am just about to retire from Dubai. I recently found this site. Really interesting.
John Pugh

cacique
23rd January 2009, 13:36
John, good to see you´ve found the site and this part of it, hope all is well with you - frightening when I read that it is 31 years since you left Palm Line.
Kind Regards, David Wilson.

Bjm
30th January 2009, 11:52
My name is brian Melia I was a AB on the Bamenda for 3yrs we sailed from Liverpool to Lagos via Freetown on the African container express run
It was four weeks away ten days at home it was a a four hatch job with heavy lift derricks all mcgreggor steel hydraulic hatches
I was on her about 1980 then went to Poland for the maiden voyage of the Badagry palm
Our captain was a great bloke George holyman anyone remember me or any stories

cacique
31st January 2009, 00:58
Brian, I should remember you, I was 4/E on the Bamenda in Jan 80, from Apr to Jul 80, from Feb 81 to Mar 83 and again in Oct 83.

Trying to remember the deck crowd, Mick Fuller (Bosun), George Green (Chippy), Les Tilbury Thompson, Dave Scouse Boyd ??

Think you went to Poland for either the new Lagos or the Lokoja, Badagry was built by Sunderland Shipbuilders in 1979. I think the new Lagos became the Wameru for a while, I did a trip on her in 83.

Kind Regards, David Wilson.

zealandic
2nd February 2009, 08:15
i was on the bamenda with you brian we joined the same trip..the bosun was jeff egan.....boyd was on there as was les thompson..mick price..george green was the handyman..we had the collision at falmouth..i remember your girlfriend too...blonde hair..

timo
2nd February 2009, 08:24
Geff Egan? was he from Grimsby?

zealandic
2nd February 2009, 10:31
yes he was..

timo
2nd February 2009, 12:31
I sailed with Geff on Uglands car carriers, late 80's, last time I saw him was in the Quarterdeck pub in Aberdeen about 7 year ago, he was on the stand by boats, don't know what he's up to now tho', I live in GY and I hav'nt seen him around for a long time.

John Pugh
11th February 2009, 04:49
cacique, David, how is S.S. I was seconded to Dominican Republic last year at the Caucedo terminal. Good place to be. in Jebel Ali we still get the APapa Palm under different names although I have not seen her for a couple of years now. Hope all is well with you.only 48 days more work and then big steam chicken back to Europe.
b. rgds.,
John Pugh

mick havler
11th February 2009, 13:10
sauled on the ANDONI PALM joined ship in rotterdam had a great first trip from 27/2/74/to19/4/74/ i was a EDH at the time rest of the deck crew was from my home town of HULL and a mixture of lads from the yorkshire area and london pool all was great that trip that i signed back on for a scecond trip when we got back to liverpool but thats when it all changed only three of us signed back on the rest of the deck crowd was made up of lads from liverpool and manchester which was a bad combination come weekends as it was a blood bath nearly every week all depending on the football results it got that bad on board the three of us from hull was told by the captain to start locking our selfs in our cabins as we was getting assaulted by the others after they got fed up of fighting each other ieven got a hatch locking bar smashed through my porthole when they couldnt get at me through the cabin door the trip got that bad when we got back to liverpool 25/7/74/ THE CAPTAIN had the police meet the ship in the locks to arrest most of the deck crew as they had smashed all the bar up once we docked at 2am us hull lads was told for our own safety to get the first train out of liverpool rang the company at a later date and asked for another ship but was told most of the ships was shipping out of liverpool at that time so it was nt advisible to man the ships deck crowd with outsiders pity it was a good company that was my fist and last trip with PALM LINE needless to say shipped out with a lot of lads from liverpool and manchester since and could nt meet a better bunch of lads

louielouie
9th March 2009, 14:42
Im fascinated by this route and was wondering if anyone knew of any way you could recreate it as a traveller now? Are there still frieghters that opperate along the coast or is it just direct to South Africa? I'll be in Luanda, Angola and it would be the most amazing route back to Britain. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers. Louis