Captains Tiger's

Eggo
17th April 2007, 14:48
Where did Blue Flue get those Captains Tigers from,did they havea special school? Never saw one with a buddy, they all looked the same and had similar manerism's. Did they have any friends as it seemed not to me. Did they all really drink the skippers booze ? can't imagine John Prescott as a Captains Tiger 1

Hague
17th April 2007, 15:03
Where did Blue Flue get those Captains Tigers from,did they havea special school? Never saw one with a buddy, they all looked the same and had similar manerism's. Did they have any friends as it seemed not to me. Did they all really drink the skippers booze ? can't imagine John Prescott as a Captains Tiger 1

Good afternoon Les,
Can't imagine John Prescott as anything!

Frankal
17th April 2007, 23:50

I sailed Captains Tiger on the Cable Ship Alert around 1971 and no i did not drink his booze He used to turn the bottles upside down and mark them. I had lots of friends as i also ran the Officers bar. I think i may have got the job for being the only A/S who polished my shoes before turning to

Aldinga
18th April 2007, 01:07
Hello Eggo
Sailed with a captain’s tiger on the Dunnottar Castle in 1956 who was quite an accomplished marine artist, I was the officer’s steward and we shared a cabin which opened out on to the boat deck just below the bridge. Any spare moments he had he could be found on the boat deck with easel and canvas. The captain used to two host two art shows each trip, one for the bloods outward and one homeward of which the tiger used to do very well out of. He gave me one of a BP tanker and at the time I did not appreciate it as well as I should have, I did get it home, but have no idea what became of it, and sadly I don’t remember the lads name.

Ron

Tai Pan
19th April 2007, 12:29
cant imagine john prescott

Eggo
19th April 2007, 12:29
Frankal & Aldinga, Only winding you up as my best mate on Demodacus was Captains Tiger but he always used to help himself to the skippers spirits. That is until he started to put a plimsol mark on the bottles.Best regards Les

Hague
19th April 2007, 12:49
Frankal & Aldinga, Only winding you up as my best mate on Demodacus was Captains Tiger but he always used to help himself to the skippers spirits. That is until he started to put a plimsol mark on the bottles.Best regards Les

Les,
First time I've heard of the Plimsol mark referred to in that context. I'll remember that one.
Brgds

Eggo
19th April 2007, 23:00
Capt Hague ,did you ever lose any of your booze to your steward? And Frankal (Shiney Shoes) why did the master have to mark the the bottles while you were looking after his quarters ?

Frankal
19th April 2007, 23:24
Capt Hague ,did you ever lose any of your booze to your steward? And Frankal (Shiney Shoes) why did the master have to mark the the bottles while you were looking after his quarters ?

His previous Tiger was a plonky and he trusted nobody I think he came from S Shields Not that the two things are necessarily connected
Frankal

Eggo
19th April 2007, 23:48
Never met a master from Shields, they usually breed engineers around there. Best regards Les

Ron Stringer
20th April 2007, 01:35
Never met a master from Shields, they usually breed engineers around there. Best regards Les

Then you didn't go to Cleadon - in the 1960s it seemed like half the houses were owned by serving or retired ships' Masters.

Eggo
20th April 2007, 07:14
Ron I'm quite sure that many masters come from there it's just seemed like all the chief engineers I sailed with came from around there or the Clyde. They were trained in the many shipbuilding yards in those areas , its sad to see most of those yards closed down .

R651400
20th April 2007, 07:41
Captain's tiger on the Adrastus was chosen because he was immaculately turned out.
Think his name was Bert Schroeder, unusual name for a scouser.
If you're out there Bert, "chelo der la."

alex page
23rd April 2007, 07:01
the captains new tiger on the Cambridge caused quit a stur when he started doing his scub out in leopard skin pants and a blouse I dont think he lasted very long
Alex

Hague
23rd April 2007, 22:49

Do know Les, I never gave it a thought. Beer man myself so I don't know whether I would have noticed. Never seemed to be much left after the Agents left in any case.

Brgds

John

Coastie
24th April 2007, 01:25
Forgive the ignorance, but what is a Captains Tiger?

R651400
24th April 2007, 04:18
Forgive the ignorance, but what is a Captains Tiger?

Assistant Steward whose entire duties are to look after the Captain.

Coastie
24th April 2007, 05:27
Thankyou, R651400. That would explain why the one in the Leppard skin pants and blouse didn't hang around long!

Tai Pan
7th May 2007, 13:03
Good afternoon Les,
Can't imagine John Prescott as anything!

On Ulysses, capt safe was a swine to open. the old maN "bulls**t Harris" never mastered it. Tiger was chinese used to come down and tell me capt want safeo pened, usual on top.
This meant a gin and tonic poured ready for me, Tiger always announced "Chief Sparks no can open without drinkee". This meant the old man had to have another etc etc.