RFA Jobs to go?

neillrush
19th April 2007, 02:35
News emerged yesterday that both the RFA Oakleaf and the Brambleleaf will go to zero-manning and be put up for sale in September, the RFA Sir Bedivere will go up for sale in the next fincial year (April 2008) and the Fort Victoria is to be put into two years extended readiness this month. This is expected to affect some 200 jobs most of which the RFA expect to be achieved through natural wastage. It also has been revealed that only 10 cadets have been taken on this year as opposed to the more usual 30!
Regards Neill

cboots
19th April 2007, 05:25
Think yourselves lucky your not on the Australian coast mate. The whole fleet would be re-flagged to Vanuatu with Ukranian crews by now.
CBoots

Brian Twyman
19th April 2007, 08:20
My thoughts and best wishes go out to all in the RFA. So sad to see how many ships have gone and no doubt how many lives and careers it has affected. I hope sincerely that things work out well for you all.

Brian

boulton
13th August 2007, 21:47
Sad to see any ship(s) go, but could someone please explain.

I understand from the Recruiting Office publication "SHIPS, AIRCRAFT, AND MISSILES OF THE ROYAL NAVY & ROYAL MARINES" (my "Bible", and updated as often as possible), that Fort Rosalie A385 (launched 1976) and Fort Austin A386 (1977), with the newer more versatile Fort Victoria A387 (1990) and Fort George A388 (1991), are all employed to "replenish the Royal Navy with dry stores such as food, spare parts and ammunition while underway". The later two with the additional versatility of combining the "the functions of fleet oilers and stores ships".

The Royal Navy www-site confirms all four to be (still) in service.

Why then would the beauracratic "suits" decide to "mothball" ("put into two years extended readiness this month", August 2007), the newer, Fort Victoria rather than either of the FOURTEEN year older Rosalie/Austin.

Is there any logic involved?

I did read that Type 23 Grafton F80 (1994), had run aground - I think in Norway - which might account for her going to Chile with the two oldest Type 23s Norfolk F230 (1987) and Marlborough F233 (1989), rather than any of the other NINE Type 23 built before Grafton.

Did the newer Fort Victoria do something naughty that I'm not aware of?

Molls-Phot
14th August 2007, 19:18
The order the Type 23s were sold in probably has more to do with their expensive refit cycles rather than their age. Incidentally, Almirante Lynch (ex-Grafton) finally sailed for Chile on 12 August.

clankie
14th August 2007, 20:32
Money and accountants are what and who rule the world and running costs being what they are is probably why the RFA's putting the Fort Victoria into a state of extended readiness over the "old" Forts (Thumb)